Whatcom County Obituaries

Surnames Beginning with "La-Le"

LA BARRE, Edith M. (d. 1919)

Mrs. Edith May La Barre, aged 34 years, passed away at her home, 1217 Forest street, after an illness of about ten days. Mrs. La Barre had resided in Bellingham for the past nine years and leaves many friends to mourn her loss. Those who survive are three daughters, Mrs. Clarence J. Harland, Miss Olive and Miss Violet La Barre; one son, Glenn La Barre, Bellingham; one brother, O. B. Lanphear, Spokane. The remains are being cared for at the parlors of Harry O. Bingham 1319 Dock street. Funeral announcements will be made later.
(From The Bellingham Herald, April 1, 1919)

LA BOUNTY, James & Ocie (d. 1904)

LA POINTE, John (d. 1904)

LACK, Charles W. (d. 1923)

Funeral services for the late Charley W. Lack, of Mountain View were held Monday instead of Sunday in order to allow one of his relatives to arrive to attend the funeral. The services were from the Mennonite church in Mountain View, Rev. J. W. Moles officiating and burial was in Mountain View cemetery. Mr. Lack was born in Clay county, Kansas, Dec. 7, 1868 and came to this state in 1889. He married Evie May Holeman, of Mountain View July 26, 1893. Surviving Mr. Lack are four children, Roy, Mrs. Myrtle Isings, Myrtle, of Bellingham and Clarence, in the U. S. service. There is one grandson, Eber Glen. One sister, Mrs. Frank Gullett, of Ferndale and one-half sister, Mrs. Nettie Patterson, of Pendleton, Ore., also survive. The deceased was 55 years, 4 months and 28 days old.
(From The Ferndale Record, May 11, 1923) Submitted by site coordinator.

LACK, William (d. 1900)

Mr. William Lack, an old resident of Mountain View, died while sitting at the dinner table on Thursday, Jan. 6, 1900. A few days ago Mr. Lack while driving a fractious horse, was thrown from his buggy, receiving severe injuries, which, though, permitting him to be about, resulted in heart failure and his sudden death. Mr. Lack was a highly respected citizen, a Christian man, and was one of the kindest neighbors, ever looking to the welfare of those around him. He was born February 6, 1834, in Northamptonshire, England, and was married Dec. 21, 1859, to Miss A. M. Thompson, Penfield, Mich. Of this union five children were born, two of whom survive him - Mrs. Gullet, of Mountain View, and Charles Lack, of Walla Walla, Wash. On October 9, 1880, at Bala, Kansas, he was again united, to Mrs. S. A. Ross. To this union was born one daughter, Nettie, who lived with her father at the time of his death. The funeral services took place at the home, and the remains were interred in the Mountain View cemetery.
(From The Blaine Journal, January 12, 1900) Submitted by site coordinator.

LAMAR, Louis E. (d. 1918)

Louis Edward Lamar, a resident of Whatcom county for thirty years and a businessman in Blaine for eighteen years,  [where he was engaged in the paint and wallpaper business] died yesterday afternoon at his home, 1601 J Street, at the age of 71 years. He had lived in Bellingham thirteen years and retired from business on account of ill health one year before coming to this city. For the benefit of his health he made several trips to the south. He was always cheerful, jovial and kind and made many friends. He is survived by his widow, [Mrs. M. Lamar]; one daughter, Mrs. D. N. Tipple, Bellingham; by one step daughter, Mrs. George S. Berger, Chicago and two step-sons, Clarence Evans, Bellingham and Vergie Evans, Seattle, also by two brothers and one sister [Mrs. Rose Aliez, Boston; Leon and Alex Lamar, of Bennington, Vt.]. The funeral will be held Monday morning at 9 a. m. at the Church of the Assumption, of which Mr. Lamar was a member. Interment will be under the direction of Harry O. Bingham.
(Compiled from 2 reports in The Bellingham Herald, May 18, 1918) Submitted by site coordinator.

LAMAR, May A. (d. 1923)

LAMAR -- Mrs. May A. Lamar, aged 62 years, beloved mother of Mrs. G. A. Berger, of Chicago; Mrs. Delbert Tippie, of Bellingham; Clarence Evans, of Puyallup, and Vergil Evans of Portland, passed away at a local hospital Friday, October 19, after two weeks' illness. Mrs. Lamar had resided in this city for the past eighteen years, and in Whatcom county for the last thirty-five years. She was a member of the Church of the Assumption and leaves many friends who will sadly mourn her passing. Mrs. Lamar also leaves to survive her, three sisters, all residing in the South. The remains are in care of the O. R. Hollingsworth funeral home, 120-123 Prospect street. Funeral services will be held Monday morning at 9 o'clock from the Church of the Assumption, with the Rev, Father James F. Barrett officiating. Interment will be made in Bay View Abbey.
(From The Bellingham Herald, October 20, 1923) Copied by Bob Witherspoon.

LAMBERT, Amos (d. 1925)

Funeral services for Amos Lambert, Civil War veteran, who died early yesterday, will be held Monday afternoon at 2:30 o'clock at the O. R. Hollingsworth funeral home with Reverend Martin Storgaard officiating. Interment will be made in Woodlawn cemetery. Members of the J. B. Steadman post, G. A. R., will attend both the services at the chapel and cemetery. The deceased leaves among other relatives fifty grandchildren, twenty great grandchildren and two great great grandchildren. Not in years, it is believed, has anyone died in Bellingham with so many grandchildren to mourn the loss. Other survivors include the widow, Mrs. Romanie C. Lambert, three sons, and five daughters.
(From The Bellingham Reveille, June 13, 1925) Submitted by Merrily Lawson.

LAMEREAUX, Harvey D. (d. 1892)

LAMKIN, Harriet F. (d. 1913)

Harriet Frances Lamkin, aged 70 years, widow of the late Alonzo Lamkin, who passed away in this city June 29, 190_, entered into rest at the family residence, 617 Twenty-first street, South Bellingham, Tuesday afternoon, June 24, at 1:15 o'clock, after and extended illness. Mrs. Lamkin was born in Battle Creek, Mich., July 21, 1842, and was united in marriage to Alonzo Lamkin, September 28, 1858. Those who survive her are two sons, Willis B. and Jesse J. Lamkin, and one daughter, Miss Emma L. Lamkin, all residents of South Bellingham, also two sisters, Mrs. Helen Bullis, of Battle Creek, Mich., and Mrs. Emma K. Hill, of Bellevue, Mich., and a brother, J. M. Knapp, whose home is in this city. Funeral services will be conducted at the chapel of Mock & Harlow, 1051-1055 Elk street, Thursday, June 26, at 2:30 o'clock, the Rev. Fred Alban Weil, minister of the First Unitarian society, officiating. Interment will be in the family plot at Bay View cemetery. The private funeral car will leave from Sixteenth street and Douglas avenue, South Bellingham Thursday afternoon at 2 o'clock for the convenience of the family and friends.
(From The Bellingham Herald, June 25, 1913)

LAMKIN, Jesse (d. 1941)

Jesse (Jay) Lamkin 617 Twenty-first street, well-known South Bellingham transferman, passed away Monday after a long illness. He was 69 years of age and had resided in Bellingham thirty-seven years. He is survived by his brother, Willis B., city, and two cousins in Seattle. Funeral services will be conducted at the Harlow-Hollingsworth chapel Thursday at 3 p.m. by the Rev. James M. Wilson. Interment will follow in the Bay View cemetery. For many years the Lamkin brothers, "Billy and Jay" were familiar figures in their horse drawn transfer wagon. Later they purchased a truck. Illness and advancing age forced them to retire a few years ago. In the early days, the brothers, both bachelors, made their living by growing and peddling vegetables. They lived with a sister, Emily, who died about a year ago. Since then Willis has resided in a home for aged persons on Knox avenue, Jesse having been confined to a hospital.
(From The Bellingham Herald, Jan. 7, 1941)

LAMOREAUX, Maude (d. 1923)

Mrs. Harry B. Lamoreux died at St. Luke's hospital, Bellingham, early Thursday morning, after an illness which began several months ago, but from which it was thought she was recovering. Death came as a distinct shock to Ferndale, for Mrs. Lamoreux had been improving in health until a few weeks ago, following an operation last summer. She went to the hospital Monday. A combination of stomach and nervous troubles underminded Mrs. Lamoreux's health last summer but she had been able to attended dances and functions here during the fall. She was again taken ill about a month ago and steadily grew worse. Her death was quite unexpected, however. The deceased was possessed of many warm friends here, because of her charm of personality and generosity. She was active in the work of the Auxiliary of the American Legion and in the Aid of the Congregational church. She had resided in Ferndale for about seven years.

Mrs. Lamoreux was born in Michigan on Dec. 9, 1880. Her husband, a Ferndale groceryman and council member, and a son, Boyd, with the Standard Oil Co., at Seattle, are the immediate survivors. Two sisters also reside in Bellingham. Funeral services have been set for 2 p. m. Saturday from the Congregational church with the services in charge of Major A. F. Palmer. The body will be laid to rest in Bay View Bellingham. Ferndale places of business will be closed Saturday during the funeral, out of respect to the memory of Mrs. Lamoreux.
(From The Ferndale Record, February 9, 1923) Submitted by site coordinator.

LAMOUREAUX, Arthur (d. 1933)

When the motorcycle he was riding collided with a delivery truck driven by Roy Van Leeuwen, of Lynden, in the Lynden business district about 5 p. m. Thursday, Arthur Lamoureaux, 27, Sumas mechanic, was instantly killed. The accident was held unavoidable by coroner C. S. Hood, who investigated the crash. Lamoureaux, according to evidence gathered by Deputy Sheriff John Odell, was riding without lights on his motorcycle. His machine struck the right front wheel of the truck driven by Van Leeuwen when the latter attempted to make a left turn in front of the approaching motorcycle. Van Leeuwen stated that he did not see the unlighted motorcycle when he turned. Authorities said that Lamoureaux' head was crushed when he was thrown from his machine against the truck and that death was instantaneous. Van Leeuwen received a head injury when he was thrown against the windshield of his truck.

The only witness to the accident, Mrs. C. DeLange, of Lynden, told officers that she was walking on the sidewalk and was facing the direction from which the motorcycle was approaching. She said that she did not see the motorcycle, but noticed the truck when it started to turn. Odell stated that Lamoureaux had visited the home of a Lynden woman just prior to the accident and that this woman had asked him not to start out on the highway without lights on his motorcycle. Lamoureaux, according to officers, replied, however, that he had to leave Lynden as he had work to do. Van Leeuwen is employed driving a delivery truck by his father, Gerritt Van Leeuwen, proprietor of Van's grocery, at Lynden. Lamoureaux was a mechanic at the Sumas garage. Lamoureaux is survived by his parents, Mr. and Mrs. O. D. Lamoureaux, of the Everson district; two sisters, Mrs. Frank Kuehnoel, of Bellingham, and Mrs. Cyr, of Seattle; three brothers, John, Ran (sic) and Dorsey Lamoureaux, all of Everson. The body was moved to the Knapp & Knapp undertaking parlors at Lynden. Funeral announcements will be made later.
(From The Bellingham Herald, November 24, 1933) Submitted by site coordinator.

LAMPHEAR, John B. (d. 1932)

LAMPHIER, Mrs. S. (d. 1893)

LANCASTER, Jay E. (d. 1971)

Services for Jay E. Lancaster, 60, 1107 Lakeway Drive, will be held at 1pm Friday at Jones Funeral Home. Officiating will be the Rev. Bob Edwards. Burial will be in Greenacres Cemetery. Mr. Lancaster, who died Wednesday, was a 58-year resident of Bellingham and attended First Christian Church. He was a member of the Carpenters and Jointers Local 756 and the Antique Automobile Restorers Club. He is survived by the widow, Willafred; son Jerry of Bellingham; 3 daughters, Judy Lancaster of Oak Harbor, Mrs. Jalene Daniels and Jana Lancaster, both of Bellingham; 3 grandchildren; 3 brothers, Charles Lancaster, a Bellingham city councilman, Everett of Bellingham, and Arlie Lancaster of Lynnwood, and a sister, Mrs. Velma Kelly of Oak Harbor.
(From The Bellingham Herald, December 9, 1971) Submitted by Richard Lacey

LANCASTER, Leonard (d. 1929)

Leonard Lancaster, aged 43 years, beloved husband of Mrs. Eva Lancaster, passed away Monday afternoon, July 22, after several weeks' illness. Mr. Lancaster has been a resident of Bellingham for the past fourteen years, until the past winter which he spent in the eastern part of the state. Besides his wife he is survived by his parents, Mr. and Mrs. Albert H. Lancaster, Bellingham R. 1, three sisters, Mrs. A. Lawson, Bellingham; Mrs. Shirley Baker, Seattle, and Mrs. Jack Wilfe, Everett, and two brothers, Myron R. 1 and Ernest, of Los Angeles, Cal. The body is resting at the Harlow Mortuary Home, Holly at Forest, where funeral services will be held Thursday, July 25, at 1 o'clock, with Rev. James M. Wilson, of the St. James Presbyterian church, officiating, and interment will be made in the family plot in Bay View cemetery.
(From The Bellingham Herald, July 23, 1929) Submitted by site coordinator.

LANCASTER, Willafred J. (d. 2001)

Willafred Jessie Lancaster
Willafred "Jakie" J. Lancaster, age 86, of Bellingham, passed away Wed., Oct. 10, 2001, in Bellingham. Born Sept. 20, 1915, in Everson to Wilfred and Fanny (Smith) Rathman and had been a lifetime Whatcom County resident. She married Jay E. Lancaster on June 27, 1932, he preceded her in death in Dec. 1971. Jakie's greatest love was family. She was an avid gardener, enjoyed pinochle, bowling, walking and activities at the "Y".

Survivors include her son, Jerry & wife Bonnie Lancaster of Bellingham; 3 daughters, Judy Lancaster of Bellingham, Jalene & husband Kenneth Moore of Bellingham and Jana & husband Gary White of Edgewood; brother, Melvin Balfour of Bellingham; sister, Lorene Alseth of Burien; 7 grandchildren; 4 great- grandchildren and many nieces and nephews. A memorial service will be held Tues., Oct. 16, 1 pm in Greenacres Funeral Home Chapel with Rev. Ralph Poulson officiating. Inurnment will be in Greenacres Memorial Park. Memorials may be sent to Whatcom Hospice, 600 Birchwood Ave. #101, Bellingham, WA 98225 or to a favorite charity.
(From The Bellingham Herald) Submitted by Richard Lacey

LANE, David R. (d. 1916)

David R. Lane, aged 74 years 6 months and 8 days, residence 1530 Kentucky street, passed away at 1 o'clock Friday, February 4, after an illness of several weeks' duration. Mr. Lane has been a resident of Whatcom county for the past twenty-five years, coming here from Minnesota. He leaves to survive his his widow, Mrs. Minerva Lane; three daughters, Mrs. Lewis Eder, Mrs. A. J. Land, Mrs. Katie Ellis; and six grandchildren, all of this city. Mr. Lane was a Civil war veteran, having served in company K, Seventeenth regiment from the State of Maine. He has been a member of the Christian church for the past thirty years, and at the time of his death was a member of the local First Christian church. Funeral services will be held Sunday afternoon at 2:30 o'clock from the funeral parlors of Undertakers Harlow & Livingston, 1051-55 Elk street, with the Rev. W. F. Reagor, of the first Christian church, officiating. The private funeral car will leave from Queen and Kentucky streets at 2 o'clock for the convenience of the family and friends, conveying them to the parlors. Interment will be made in the family plot at Bay View cemetery.
(From The Bellingham Herald, February 5, 1916) Submitted by site coordinator.

LANE, Frederick F. (d. 1909)

Frederick F. Lane, one of the oldest pioneers of Whatcom County, and the second superintendent of schools for the territory now embraced in Whatcom and Skagit Counties, was instantly killed at his home at Beach, Lummi Island, Sunday, within sight of the cabin that had been his home for half a century. Lane, who was 80 years old, was clearing up his backyard when in some way a heavy log rolled upon him, crushing the life out of his body. The old man made a mighty effort to stop the log as he saw it coming towards him, but his strength was wasted by years and the heavy timber pinned him to the earth. When the body was removed it was cold in death.

F. F. Lane came to Bellingham Bay in 1856. It was the formative era for the new country and as he was a graduate of the best college in Massachusetts, it fell to his lot to aid in the establishment of a system of county affairs, especially in the line of public schools. Brilliant of mind, and a school teacher of natural bent, he was elected county superintendent of schools of Whatcom County shortly after his arrival, and to him was due to the honor of being the second superintendent of schools in Whatcom County, which then included the territory that now comprises Skagit County. He had often said that the emoluments of the office were indeed scant, for his per diem was so small that it did not pay for the shoe leather he wore out during his visit to the posts where schools were held. One one trip below LaConner he hired an Indian to paddle him down in a canoe. The expense of the trip was $30 and the fees that he received from the county amounted to $5. He had to pay the deficit from his own pocket.

Lane came from Massachusetts, crossing the plains as a member of a small caravan of homeseekers. Nearly eight months was consumed in making the trip. He sought gold a few years in California, but was one of the many who were unsuccessful. He said that he could find no place that suited him in California or Oregon and finally he packed his grip and hied himself too this port. He was active in county affairs in the early days, and as the tide of immigration began to move this way he relinquished the work to others.

"I only did my duty," said he one day last summer when discussing early history. "I knew there must be a beginning and as I had experience in school affairs in Massachusetts I simply pulled off my coat and went to work. The salary was no object and as I had considerable money I paid my own bills and in some instances paid for the filing of papers in the territorial capitol at Olympia."

As did many of the white men in the early days, Lane wooed and won a bride from among the dusky maidens of the Lummi Indian reservation and to their union was (sic) born several children, who are today among the bright, intelligent citizens of the county. The wife survives him. At the time the drift of civilization brought new and better systems of society and a number of the white men discarded their Indian wives, Lane steadfastly refused to do so, but instead married her under the rites and laws of the country. From his own lips came the statement: I did as all other honest men should have done, remained with my Indian wife, for it would have been a dishonorable act to cast her aside and marry another woman." The marital life of Lane and his wife in latter days was not pleasant, and a few years ago he was granted a divorce. The court records show that incompatibility of temperament and failure to agree was the cause for a decree of divorce. A division of the property, the old homestead on Lummi Island, was made and there the two lived, but apart. Lane always held a high esteem for his children and there are no better citizens on Puget Sound. At the age of 80 years Lane was bright, active and of a sunny temperament. He was regarded as one of the most accurate historians of the Northwest, as he retained a vivid picture of all the history-making epochs that the last half century has produced in the Northwest.

Dr. N. Whitney Wear, county coroner, was yesterday notified of the death of Lane and went to Beach to investigate. Funeral services will be held at the old home at Beach, Lummi Island, Tuesday, February 23, at 3 o'clock p. m., the Rev. F. H. Hudson, officiating. Interment will be made in the Beach cemetery under the direction of W. H. Mock & Sons. Surviving the deceased are the former wife and ten children: Mrs. Anna Bowden, Oscar E, N. P., Mrs. Charlotte Miller, Mrs. Constance Bumstead, Frederick F., Jr., Miss Helen, Charles, Luscius and Agustis F., all of whom are residents of this city and county.
(From the American Reveille, February 21, 1909) Submitted by site coordinator.

LANGLEY, Nettie M. (d. 1898)

DIED - At St. Luke's hospital, New Whatcom, at 2 p.m. on Wednesday, March 30th, Mrs. Nettie M. Langley, in her 42nd year. Deceased leaves a husband, son and young daughter, and was a daughter of A. L. Smith of this city. For some time she, with her family has resided at Wallace, Idaho. Last July she came to Blaine on a visit to her parents and relatives, her health at that time not being the best. The immediate cause of her demise was the formation of an abscess upon the brain, her illness being of seven weeks' duration. Her husband and son were in Idaho at the time of her demise. The sympathy of numerous friends will go to the bereaved. The funeral obsequies will occur to-day (Friday) at the M. E. Church at 1 p. m.
(From The Blaine Journal, April 1, 1898) Submitted by site coordinator.

LANNING, Elizabeth A. (d. 1903)

Mrs. Elizabeth Ann Lanning died at her home here Monday morning, after an illness of several weeks. The funeral was held Wednesday afternoon from the M. E. church, the Rev. Kern officiating. The remains were interred in the cemetery west of town.

Elizabeth Ann Lanning, nee Shultz, was born in Steuben Co., New York, August 4, 1826. She was married to Mr. Isaac Lanning on October 19, 1845. They removed successively to Illinois, Wisconsin and Iowa and thence to Washington in 1869, landing on Whidbey Island, Nov. 8th. She was one of the first two white women to settle along the Skagit River. On March 31, 1888, she came to Lynden, being one of the pioneers of this section.

She died at the ripe age of 76 years, 9 months and 27 days, leaving four daughters, Mrs. Anna Alexander of Kent, Mrs. Isora Guiberson of Olympia, and Mrs. Emma Eaton and Mrs. Bessie Cline of this city. There are forty-five living descendants, four daughters, twenty-one grand-children and twenty great grand-children. Grandma Lanning, as she was commonly called, was known and loved by every one in this vicinity. She was ever ready to lend her assistance in case of sickness or trouble. Her presence was always gladly welcomed in any home and she truly will be greatly missed.

Card of Thanks signed by Moses and Emma Eaton, Charles and Bessie Cline, Mrs. Joey Guiberson, Mrs. Anna Alexander.
(From The Pacific Pilot, June 4, 1903) Submitted by site coordinator.

LANSING, John (d. 1921)

John Lansing, aged 81 years, passed away at the family home, 2318 Keesling street, on the evening of Sunday, May 1, after an illness of eight weeks. Mr. Lansing had resided in Bellingham for the past sixteen years and leaves a host of friends to mourn his loss. He was a veteran of the Civil war, serving with Company E, Tenth regiment of Wisconsin volunteer infantry. He was a member of the Garden Street Methodist church and of J. B. Steedman post No. 24, G. A. R. Besides Mrs. Lansing he is survived by four sons and one daughter, Charles Lansing, Rock Elm, Wis.; Walter S., Buhl, Idaho; Bertram J., Bellingham; David M., Spring Valley, Wis., and Mrs. E. Erickson, of Bellingham. The remains are being cared for at the service parlors of Harry O. Bingham, 120-122 Prospect street. Funeral announcements will be made later.
(From The Bellingham Herald, May 2, 1921) Submitted by site coordinator.

LARRABEE, Edward P. (d. 1944)

Edward Payne Larrabee "Ned" age 47 years, passed away following an auto accident near North Bend, Thursday, December 14. Mr. Larrabee was born here and for the past ten years has resided in Spokane where he represented the Roslyn Cascade Coal Co. Deceased was a veteran of the first World war, having served with the Royal Canadian Air Force. Surviving relatives are the widow, Consuelo McM. Larrabee at Spokane; two daughters, Mrs. Donald Spaulding, New York City, and Consuelo Larrabee, at home and one son, Edward McM. also at home; one brother, Charles F. of this city and a sister, Mary L. Bourgue, Pasadena, Calif. The remains are at the funeral home of Harlow-Hollingsworth where private services will be conducted by the Rev. James M. Wilson, Saturday, December 16 at 2 p. m. Cremation.
(From The Bellingham Herald, December 15, 1944)

LARSEN, Arland W. (d. 2006)

Arland W. Larsen, of Bellingham, Washington, passed away on Sunday, October 22, 2006. Arland was 66 years old and a lifetime resident of Whatcom County. Arland was a reserved man who loved his wife, Alice, family, and grandchildren. He was proud of his 38 years career at GP and liked to work with his hands - especially his word with furniture, his tractor, and his retro bike. He enjoyed Scandinavian and bluegrass music and loved playing his harmonica along with his friend, Larry. Arland was preceded in death by his mom and dad and is survived by his wife, Alice; daughters: Jean Larsen and Joann Ashcraft; grandchildren: Levi, Weston, and Tyler; and brother, Sel, and his wife Jan Larsen. A viewing will be held for Arland on Thursday, October 26, 7:00-9:00 PM at Moles Greenacres Funeral Home, Ferndale. A Graveside Committal will be held Friday, October 27, at 1:00 PM and Greenacres Memorial Park, followed by a 2:00 PM Memorial Service at Living Hope Fellowship, 824 W. Smith Rd., Bellingham. Memorial contributions may be made in Arland's honor to Living Hope Fellowship. You may share your thoughts and memories of Arland with his family at www.molesfamilyfuneralhome.com. Moles Funeral Home, Main Street, Ferndale.
(From the Bellingham Herald of October 25, 2006) Submitted by Merrily Lawson.

LARSEN, Soren P. (d. 1934)

Funeral services for Soren Peter Larsen, aged 69 years, beloved husband of Mrs. Christina Larsen, Acme, who passed away at the family home suddenly Friday morning, April 6, will be held from the Acme Methodist church Sunday afternoon, April 8 at 2 o'clock with the Rev. H. L. Richardson officiating and interment will be made in Saxon cemetery. Mr. Larsen had lived in Acme and vicinity for the past forty-seven years and was a member of the Danish Lutheran church and Danish brotherhood lodge. Surviving relatives are the widow; three sons, Martin P. Larsen and Ewald Larsen, of Acme; and Henry Larsen, Sedro-Woolley; three daughters, Miss Emma Larsen, Mrs. J. Jacoby, Mrs. W. Norris, all of Acme; three sisters, Mrs. Sam Jenson, Acme, Mrs. C. Peterson, Renton; Mrs. J. Jenson, Seattle, and ten grandchildren.
(From The Bellingham Herald, April 7, 1934) Submitted by site coordinator.

LARSON, Albert N. (d. 1925)

The many friends of Mrs. Gust Larson and family of Alder Grove are mourning the loss of her eldest son, Albert Nels, who was fatally injured when clearing land on the family ranch Monday. Her loss was great, as the boy helped to run the ranch, Mrs. Larson being a widow. Just after starting a fire under a big snag which was standing with one end in the air above a stump hole, Albert got down on his knees partly under the snag to see if the fire was burning. One of the roots which was holding the snag evidently snapped, as it fell over into the stump hole, and crushed the boy underneath. Neighbors rushed to his assistance, and extracted him, but he lived only a short time after Dr. C. S. Hood arrived. He suffered severe injuries about the chest and hips. The funeral will be held Saturday afternoon at two at the Swedish Baptist Church, Rev. E. Asplen conducting the service. Interment will be in Enterprise Cemetery, with George Monroe in charge. Besides his mother, Mrs. Gust Larson, he is survived by five sisters, Ruth, Alma, Bertha, Violet and Edith, and a brother Herbert, all living at home.
(From The Ferndale Record, September 24, 1925) Submitted by site coordinator.

LARSON, Helmina J. (d. 1925)

The funeral of Mrs. Helmina J. Larson, 76 years of age, was held Monday afternoon from the Lutheran Free church, Rev. C. Hohn officiating. Interment was made in the Enterprise cemetery, George Monroe in charge. Mrs. Larson was a well known resident of the Alder Grove district, and her friends mourned her death which took place last Friday night. She had lived in this district for twenty-five years. One son, Pete, and a daughter, Mrs. John Hanson, both of Enterprise, sister, Mrs. Hufford of Seattle, and ten grandchildren survive her.
(From The Ferndale Record, October 29, 1925) Submitted by site coordinator.

LARSON, Peter (d. 1901)

Peter Larson Superintendent of Construction meets Accidental Death.
It was with a deep feeling of sorrow and regret that the sad news of the accidental death of Peter Larson was learned Wednesday forenoon. Though a resident of Blaine but a short time he had become known to all, and none knew him but to admire him for his sterling worth and integrity. He came here with Mr. Chapin and at once assumed the superintendency of construction of the Monarch Lumber Co.'s big mill. Mr. Larson was a thorough mill wright and superintendent was was the peer of any man in this. The work he has been doing in construction of the mill has been the admiration of all. More than this he was universally liked by the men under him, each and every one having a good word for him. To such men the world owes much and his death is a loss that is keenly felt by all.

The death was purely accidental and one in which there could be no blame. It seems that they were putting in a short timber on the second floor on the east side of the building. In order to put this in the uprights had to be spread apart. To do this some lumber and a jack screw were placed horizontal between them. Two men were with Mr. Larson on the planks and while holding the timbers and jackscrews the accident occurred. The men were on their knees holding the timbers when the force of jackscrew caused them to give way thus throwing Mr. Larson off and almost taking the other men. He fell outside the building and down onto the tide flats, a distance of about thirty feet. In falling he struck his head on the sill of the building and also on a plank just above. Death occurred instantly. He never moved a muscle after striking. The remains were picked up at once by the men and in not a few of their eyes was seen the silent tear as they realized that the man they most admired had gone from them forever. Mr. Larson was fifty-three years old and was formerly a resident of Crookston, Minn. He had prepared a home here and just the evening before the accident, had written his wife and two daughters of that city to come. He has a married daughter, Mrs. Julia Rickert, living in Seattle, who was notified at once. She arrived yesterday on the Dode and took charge of the body. An inquest was held by Judge Adams at the Potter undertaking rooms where the remains were placed soon after the accident. He was a member of the A. O. U. W. order and carried therein two thousand dollars insurance. The verdict rendered was that the death was purely accidental and ___ that could not have been forseen. Many are the expression of sympathy by the residents of this city for the bereaved with and children. The remains were shipped to Crookston for burial.
(From The Blaine Journal, April 19, 1901) Submitted by site coordinator.

LARSON, Peter (d. 1907)

Peter Larson died at his home on Fourth street in this city, at about 5 o'clock last Monday morning, at the age of 48 years, 2 months and 22 days. Mr. Larson was a native of Denmark and came to Blaine about fifteen years ago. Funeral services were conducted from his late residence on Wednesday afternoon, Rev. Volck of the Baptist church officiating and the interment was in the Blaine cemetery. Mr. Larson leaves a widow and two children, as well as many friends, to mourn his death.
(From The Blaine Journal, September 27, 1907) Submitted by site coordinator.

LATHROP, Cleveland T. (d. 1928)

Cleveland Thayer Lathrop, Civil war veteran, member of the Grand Army of the Republic and of the Chamber of Commerce and for twenty-five years and until 1920, the year of his retirement, an employee of the Pacific American Fisheries, died suddenly Tuesday afternoon at his home, 346 South Forest street, while planting bulbs. He was 81 years of age. For thirty-nine years he had lived in Bellingham. Mr. Lathrop was a past commander of C. R. Apperson post of the G. A. R. before it merged with the J. B. Steedman post of the G. A. R., of which he was a member. In the Civil war he served with the Sixth Michigan artillery. Surviving relatives are the widow, Mrs. Alcora S. Lathrop; one brother, F. C. Stoddard, and one sister, Mrs. W. E. Baggs, both of Montana. Funeral rites will be held at the Harlow mortuary Thursday at 2 p. m., with the Rev. c. B. Sears officiating. Officers of J. B. Steedman post will give their ritual at the chapel. Burial will occur in Bay View cemetery. Pallbearers will be George J. Hohl, Ben Slyster, LaVelle German, Ed Luce, Thad McGlin and P. E. Healy.
(From The Bellingham Herald, October 3, 1928) Submitted by site coordinator.

LATTA, Marion C. (d. 1924)

M. C. Latta on of Northwest Washington's best known pioneers, who was long and on many occasions identified with Whatcom county's official life, died at his home, 2200 Williams street, at 9:40 this morning at the age of 80 years. He had been in ill health for two years and had been confined to his bed for the last week. Mr. Latta is survived by his widow, Mrs. Mary Latta; one daughter, Mrs. Nellie Cole, of Bellingham, and one brother, Alonzo Latta, East Palestine, Ohio, where Mr. Latta was born. Funeral announcements will be made by Homer Mark. On September 17, 1867, about eight years before he came West Mr. Latta married Miss Mary Eleanor Palamer, at East Palestine, Ohio. He and Mrs. Latta came to Washington in 1875, when it was a territory, and settled in Seattle. While there he was elected master of St. John lodge, the oldest and largest Masonic lodge in that city.
Came Here in 1883.
Coming to Bellingham bay forty-one years ago, in 1883, Mr. Latta quickly became identified with the life of the community and in the same year was elected a member of the Whatcom city council. In the following year he was chosen a school director. He was elected mayor in 1889 and next year was elected a member of the board of county commissioners. During his term as commissioner the present county court house was built and his name, carved in a marble tablet, may be seen, together with the names of the other commissioners, at the left of the main entrance. In 1901 Mr. Latta was elected city treasurer and from 1915 to 1918 he was city street superintendent.
Treasury of Lodge.
A very faithful Mason, Mr. Latta was for twenty-five years treasurer of Bellingham Bay Lodge No. 44, F. & A. M., and it is said that during that time he did not miss a single session of the lodge. He also was a member of the Pioneer association of Washington. From 1902 to 1904 Mr. Latta was in the book and stationery business, having a store in the Clover block. He also engaged in contracting and building for many years. One of Mr. Latta's hobbies was the keeping of weather records. He began keeping weather reports many years before the government established a weather station here and he continued to keep them long thereafter.
(From The Bellingham Herald, December 9, 1924) Submitted by site coordinator.

LAUCKHART, Henrietta (d. 1920)

Funeral services for the late Mrs. Henrietta Lauckhart were held Tuesday afternoon in the presence of a large gathering of friends at Knapp's Parlors. E. Edson conducted the services. Mrs. Lauckhart passed away Sunday at the family home at the age of 72 years, 2 months and 5 days. Henrietta Wessels was born in Waukehsa Co., Wisconsin July 7, 1848. She was married to William Lauckhart Feb. 25, 1867, and resided near Randolph, Wis., until Sep. 1882, when she came with her husband and two sons to Washington Territory, locating on their homestead near Lynden, where she lived up to the time of her last sickness. She is survived by her two sons, Henry Lauckhart of Bellingham and William Lauckhart of Lynden; two brothers, G. Wessels of Baldwin, Wis. and William Wessels of Alto, Wis.; two sisters, Mrs. G. Meenk and Mrs. Mary Vander Bosch of Alto, Wis.; seven grandchildren and one niece, Mrs. F. M. Yount of Lynden.
(From The Lynden Tribune, September 16, 1920)

LAUCKHART, William (d. 1914)

William Lauckhart, Sr., died at his home near Lynden last Friday evening, after an illness of several weeks. Funeral services were held at the family home Monday. The deceased had resided in this country for thirty-two years, and the grief that is felt at the closing of his long life is widespread and sincere. He was invariably a kind and loving husband and father, a good neighbor and an obliging, sympathetic friend. A man of excellent habits, fine moral character and sturdy constitution, he continued his interest in the affairs of life and chose to be active in his accustomed pursuits until long past the age at which most men drop out of the ranks of workers. He was a practical, matter-of-fact man, optimistic by nature, and his cheerful spirit remained with him to the end, as did also his clearness of intellect. Although not a member of any church, Mr. Lauckhart exemplified by his pure and noble life the precepts of the Golden Rule. His endeavor was ever to live the brotherhood enjoined by the Master, and many were the dark places in the lives of his friends and neighbors into which he let the sunshine of human sympathy.

William Lauckhart was born in Arnheim, Gelderland, Holland, on March 24, 1834. He came to this country with his parents in 1857, locating at Milwaukee, Wisconsin. In 1867 he was united in marriage to Henrietta Wessells at Waupun, Wisconsin, and in 1882 they moved to Lynden which has since been their home. Mr. Lauckhart is survived by his wife and two sons, Henry and William Lauckhart, and eight grandchildren. The funeral services were held Monday under the walnut trees that Mr. Lauckhart had himself planted at the family home, and where only a few years ago the old settlers of the county held a re-union. The services were simple, following the wishes of the deceased, and were attended by a large number of sorrowing friends. The funeral address was delivered by Mr. E. Edson, an old-time friend of the Lauckhart family.
(From The Lynden Tribune, June 18, 1914) Submitted by site coordinator.

LAWLER, Felix (d. 1923)

Preparations for a July Fourth picnic and a day in company with an old companion came to a fatal ending for Felix Lawler, aged 70 years, well known among the old-timers of Bellingham and the county as a pioneer logger in this state, who died suddenly at a local hotel this morning. Death was believed to have been due to heart failure. A post-mortem examination will be held to-day. The body was removed to the Whitfield-Mark undertaking parlors where funeral arrangements will be made. There are no known relatives. Lawler was single.

Felix Lawler and Matt West, for years a friend and companion of the deceased, had planned a holiday in the country, for today, and were preparing to leave about 8 o'clock this morning when Lawler suddenly became ill. West went to a telephone to call Dr. Ed L. Brinson, who had attended Lawler recently, and when West returned to the sick man's room, Lawler was lying across the foot of his bed, dead. As far as could be learned today, Felix Lawler came to Bellingham last night from the Nooksack Lumber company's camp, above Deming. The camp was closed for the Fourth, and Lawler was one of the many in the crews to come here for the celebration. He had been in rather feeble health for some time, it was said. He was employed as a road boss at the Deming camp. Lawler came to this part of the state years ago, when the lumbering industry was in its infancy, and has followed the call of the woods since he was a young man. There is hardly a logging camp in Whatcom or Skagit county where Lawler was not known.
Note: Felix Lawler was born in New York State about 1859 to John and Mary Lawler; 5th of 10 children. Family was living in Owatonna, Steele, MN in 1870 and 1880 census.
(From The Bellingham Herald, July 4, 1923) Submitted by site coordinator.

LAWSON, John J. (d. 1926)

John J. Lawson, father of Mrs. Roy Reed of this city, passed away Monday afternoon at St. Luke's hospital in Bellingham after an illness of two weeks. He was first taken sick with the Flu but death was caused by acute diabetes. Mr. Lawson came to Blaine early this summer from Calgary, Alberta, and was visiting his daughter here. He was born at Downington, England, Oct. 31, 1864, coming to Canada in 1873. In 1886 he was married to Miss Sophrona Harpelle of Kingston, Ontario, who died June 18, 1902. There are left three daughters, Mrs. Herbert Tate, of Osarha, Ontario, Mrs. Elmore Haynes of Calgary, and Mrs. Reed here, also one son, John J. Lawson, of Calgary. Funeral arrangements were in charge of the Blaine Mortuary and service held Wednesday afternoon at 2 o'clock in the First Methodist church.
(From The Blaine Journal-Press, September 30, 1926) Submitted by site coordinator.

LAYBOURNE, Ernestine C. (d. 1938)

LEAVITT, Anna (d. 1901)

Mrs. C. P. Leavitt died in Seattle yesterday and the remains will arrive here on the State of Washington tomorrow morning. The funeral services will be held in the B. B. Undertaking rooms at 2 p. m. tomorrow. Mrs. Leavitt's two daughters, Mrs. J. B. Nation of San Francisco and Mrs. May Edson of Seattle, formerly of Lynden, will accompany the remains. Mrs. Leavitt was about 49 years old. Her husband died several years ago and her only son, Fred Hamburg, was killed on the Blue Canyon log chute about six years ago, both being buried in Bay View cemetery where Mrs. Leavitt's remains will find their final resting place.
(From The Weekly Blade, April 24, 1901) Submitted by site coordinator.

LEAVITT, Charles P. (d. 1895)

LEBOLD, Lillian J. (d. 1903)

Mrs. W. F. Lebold, widow of W. F. Lebold, died yesterday in the hospital at Seattle after having undergone an operation for tumor. She had suffered from this cause for five or six months. Mrs. Lebold was the third daughter of Customs Collector Robert Knox of this city and was 36 years of age. Most of her life, with the exception of a short time spent in Texas, she lived in this city. She was well known and very popular on Bellingham Bay. She leaves, to mourn her loss, a little son and daughter, her parents - Mr. and Mrs. Robert Knox - and four sisters - Mrs. B. E. Musser, Mrs. W. L. Asher, Mrs. R. L. Barr, Mrs. A. S. Clark - and a host of friends. Funeral arrangements have not yet been announced. The body is expected to arrive here from Seattle today.
(From The Bellingham Reveille, December 2, 1903) Submitted by site coordinator.

LECLAIR, Alexander (d. 1908)

Learned Gaelic and French, but Forgot Both Languages--Will Have Masonic Funeral.
BELLINGHAM, Wash. Sept. 28 -- Probably the oldest member of any secret order in the United States died today at Lynden. He was Rev. Alexander Leclaire, 96 years old, who had been for 75 years a member in good standing of the Masonic fraternity. Rev. Mr. Leclaire's life reads like a romance. For 40 years he was a frontier preacher, leaving the Catholic church at the age of 21 to join the Methodists. He learned and forgot entirely during his lifetime two languages, Gaelic and French, speaking only English at his death. He was born in Canada of Scotch and French parentage, and learned the cobbler's trade. At the age of 70 he gave up the ministry. Masons from all over Whatcom county will attend Mr. Leclaire's funeral tomorrow.
(From The Spokane Spokesman Review, September 29, 1908)

Monday, Sept. 28. - After a membership in the Masonic lodge, dating back seventy years, Rev. Alexander LeClair is dead at his home in this city. He was 96 years old on his last birthday and had the honor of being the oldest Mason in point of years of membership in the state, and in fact in many states. Lynden Lodge, No. 56, F.&A.M., of which Rev. Mr. Le Clair had been a member for the last fourteen years, was at the time of the man's death securing data in an attempt to discover whether they did not have in him the oldest lodge member in the United States. Death came to the aged man before this investigation had been completed. In addition to the distinction of having been one of the oldest Masons in the country, Rev. Mr. Le Clair had a most eventful history. For forty years he was a preacher on the frontier, serving the Methodist Church, and his experiences during that time would make one of the most exciting and interesting stories of adventure that was ever published. One of the particularly interesting features of the life of the man is that at the age of 11 years he was able to speak only Gallic, his native tongue. Later at the age of 21 he could speak only the French, having forgotten his Gallic entirely. At the time of his death he could speak only English.

Rev. Mr. Le Clair was born in Canada ninety-six years ago last May. His mother was Scotch and his father French. Early in life he learned the cobbler's trade and until he was 21 he made shoes. At that age he left the Roman Catholic Church in which he had been reared and became a Methodist. Funeral services will be conducted by the lodge at Lynden on Tuesday morning at 10 o'clock and Masons from Bellingham, Sumas, Blaine and other cities and towns of the county will be present to pay the last tribute to their departed brother. An invitation is issued by the Lynden lodge through its master, Frank W. Bixby, to all Masons to attend the services.
(This may be from The Lynden Tribune; no 1908 issues are known to exist today.)

Alexander LeClair was in years the senior of the Conference. He was born in Upper Canada, May 4, 1812, and died in Lyndon, Whatcom County, Washington, at the ripe age of ninety-seven years and five months. He was of French parentage, and reared to manhood in the Roman Catholic Church. He came to Northern New York when twenty-one years of age, and soon after renounced Romanism; was converted in 1845 and joined the Methodist Episcopal Church in Watertown, New York. He soon gave proof that God had dowered him with choice gifts of mind and heart. He never attended even a common school. He was an earnest student. He learned the rudiments of Latin and Greek without a teacher. His school room was a dingy shoe shop, as shoemaking was his trade. But God had a higher calling for him. Sixty years ago the fathers and mothers of our Israel were keen of eye and ear to mark the call of God to the Christian ministry. In 1854, James Erwin, of precious memory, was pastor of the State Street Church in Watertown. He licensed Brother LeClair as an exhorter. Shortly after he was licensed a Local Preacher, and on May 31st, 1866, he was received on trial in the Black River Conference, and June 4, 1857, he became a member. he was ordained a deacon June 7th, 1857, by Bishop Baker, and elder by Bishop Scott, May 22nd, 1859. His pastoral work was as follows: 1855-56-57, St. Lawrence French Mission; 1858 and 1859, Franklin French Mission; 1860, Constable and French Mission; 1861 and 1862, St. Regis Indian Mission and Franklin French Mission. In 1863 he located, in order to do mission work, among the French in Canada. He joined the Wesleyan Methodist Church and served the Roxton and French Mission circuit. He returned to the States and was readmitted to the Black River Conference in 1867. Served the Colton and Elsworth charge; 1868, the French circuit, 1869, Constable. In 1870 and '71, he was superannuated; 1872-3, he served South Malone and Duane; 1874, superannuated; 1875 adn 1876, supernummerary; 1877, superannuated and remained in that relation until his death. Brother LeClair's work was not altogether among the French. He spoke English as fluently as a native, and was beloved. He was kind, prudent and fearless, though at times he could say with Paul, 'in perils by mine own countrymen.' He was a small, lithe man, and came of a long-lived ancestry. His father lived to the age of 108 years and was a remarkable pedestrian, often walking ten and fifteen miles in a day after he was a centenarian. His mother lived to the age of 99 years. The subject of this memoir was for seventy-five years, a much esteemed member of the Order of Free Masons.

In 1845 he married Miss Hortensia L. Aubrey, of Watertown, N.Y. She died suddenly, soon after their marriage. In 1847 he married Miss Caughlan of Watertown. She was the mother of six daughters and one son. She died in 1867. In 1871 he married Miss Matilda Williams of Colton, N.Y. She was the mother of a son and daughter. She was faithfully devoted to the aged husband, tenderly caring for him in his last days until his death which occurred on September 27, 1908. Brother LeClair was highly esteemed by the entire community where he spent the last thirteen years of his long pilgrimage. He beautifully illustrated the Psalmist's description of an aged saint. Planted in the house of the Lord, he flourished in the courts of our God, and brought forth fruit in old age. S. Call
All of the above submitted by Judy Driscoll

LEE, Alfred (d. 1933)

Alfred Lee, beloved husband of Kate Allen Lee, passed away at his home, 1333 Grant street, Tuesday morning, December 19. Mr. Lee was born in Missouri ninety years ago and crossed the plains in a covered wagon in 1848 with his father, who died enroute. He was one of the old pioneers of this section, having made his home here for the past forty-five years. During his active life, Mr. Lee was engaged in the profession of architect and had much to do with the upbuilding of Bellingham, designing such structures as the present city hall, the old St. Joseph's hospital, the Normal school and many other buildings which are still landmarks in this and other cities. Deceased was a member of Bellingham Bay lodge No. 44 F. & A. M. and is survived by the following, besides his widow: Three daughters, Mrs. Abe McLaughlin, Portland, Ore.; Mrs. G. B. Burke and Miss Pearl Lee, Helena, Mont.; one son, John Lee, Portland, Ore.; two grandchildren and two great-grandchildren. The remains are resting at the Harlow-Hollingsworth Funeral Home, from where funeral arrangements will be announced later.
(From The Bellingham Herald, December 19, 1933) Submitted by site coordinator.

LEE, Hiram (d. 1906)

Hiram Lee, a resident of Marietta, and a pioneer of Whatcom county, died yesterday at his home in Marietta of gangrene. He had been a sufferer from the complaint for a long time, and had been confined to bed for several months. Mr. Lee's age hastened his demise from the disease. He was seventy at the time of his death. The deceased was a member of the local G. A. R. He leaves a widow and a family of sons and daughters, all of whom are grown up and married.
(From The Bellingham Reveille, April 26, 1906) Submitted by site coordinator.

LEE, Peter C. (d. 1906)

Peter C. Lee, the 14 year old son of O. H. Lee, a prominent farmer of the Birch Bay district, died at the home of his parents last Friday evening. The boy had been sick for several days, but not seriously. He ate his supper Friday evening and went to bed, he suddenly grew worse and a doctor was called, but he died before medical aid could reach him. The remains were buried in the California Creek cemetery Sunday afternoon.
(From The Blaine Journal, December 7, 1906) Submitted by site coordinator.

LEE, Peter P. (d. 1937)

P. P. Lee, aged 76 years, beloved husband of Mrs. Lucy Lee, __00 Garden Street, passed away at a local hospital Monday evening, May 31, after one months' illness. Mr. Lee was a prominent pioneer businessman of Bellingham, having founded the Lee Grocery Company of Bellingham and Everett thirty years ago. He was deacon of Our Saviour's Lutheran Church, a member of the Chamber of Commerce, and a director of the First National Bank. Surviving relatives, besides his widow, are four sons, Palmer, Alphonso and Ray Lee, all of Bellingham, Fred Lee, Everett, Wash.; one daughter, Mrs. Leona Miller, city; three sisters, Mrs. Sarah Boogle, city; Mrs. Nettie Bergerud, Fergus Falls, Minn.; three brothers, Otto Lee, Crygla, Minn., Edward Lee, Minneapolis, Minn., Simon Lee, Fargo, N. D., and nine grandchildren. The body rests at the Homer Mark Mortuary where funeral services will be conducted in the Cathedral Chapel Thursday morning, June 3, at 11 o'clock, by the Right Rev. H. L. Foss, president of the Pacific District of the Norwegian Lutheran Church of America, assisted by the Rev. George O. Lane, pastor of the Phinney Ridge Lutheran Church of Seattle. Interment will be made in the family plot in Bay View Cemetery.
(From The Bellingham Herald, June 1, 1937)

LEE, Mary (d. 1926)

Mrs. Mary Lee, 61 years of age, passed away at the family home at Alder Grove Thursday evening, Oct. 7. Funeral services were held at Geo. Monroe's chapel Sunday afternoon, Rev. J. W. Moles officiating. Burial took place at the Enterprise cemetery. Mrs. Mary Lee, who has been an honored member of our community for about twenty years, passed away at the family home Thursday evening, Oct. 7, one Alder Grove friend said today. She had been in failing health for several years, and was unable to recover from a stroke of paralysis which occurred about two weeks before her death. The entire community sympathizes with the daughter, Mrs. Lucy Brown, and son Walter Lee, upon the loss of their mother. She leaves to survive her one daughter, Mrs. Lucy Brown; one son Walter Lee of Alder Grove; one sister, Mrs. Elizabeth Miller of Bellingham; one brother, Lafe Rapson of Everson; a sister and five brothers in Michigan; five grandchildren.
(From The Ferndale Record, October 14, 1926) Submitted by site coordinator.

LEE, Nancy (d. 1915)

Mrs. A. Lee, wife of A. Lee, pioneer architect of Bellingham, died at her home, 900 High street, this morning at 9 o'clock, after an illness of more than two months. Mrs. Lee was one of the oldest residents of the city, having lived here nearly twenty-five years. She was also one of the oldest settlers on the Pacific coast, her father emigrating across the plains in 1849 when she was not yet a year old. She was 66 years old at the time of her death. Mrs. Lee was a member of the Unitarian church and of chapter No. 17, Order of the Eastern Star. She is survived by her husband, three daughters, Mrs. George B. Burke, of Tacoma; Miss Nellie Lee, for many years an instructor in the city schools and now a member of the State Normal faculty, and Miss Pearl Lee, a teacher in the city schools, and by two sons, John Lee, an attorney of Portland and former president of the Mazamas, and Clifford Lee, of Naugatuck, Conn. Funeral announcements will be made by Harry O. Bingham.
(From The Bellingham Herald, September 13, 1915) Submitted by site coordinator.

LEE, Sarah (d. 1918)

Mrs. Sarah Lee, aged 77 years, passed away at the home of her daughter, Mrs. B. Ridley, residing on Lakeway drive, on the afternoon of Friday, February 22, after an illness of about three months. Mrs. Lee had been a resident of Bellingham for a number of years. She is survived by two daughters, Mrs. B. Ridley and Mrs. Mary Ergler, of Bellingham. The funeral will be held at Harry O. Bingham's parlors Monday at 2 p.m., with Dr. J. H. Dickey, pastor of the Psychic Research society, officiating.
(From The Bellingham Herald, February 23, 1918) Submitted by Merrily Lawson.

LEE, Thomas (d. 1914)

Thomas Lee was born in Pennsylvania fifty-five years ago. His boyhood was spent in his native state. In early manhood he moved to Minnesota but remained only a few months returning to Pennsylvania where he spent several years. He then moved to Nebraska from which he came to Washington thirty years ago sixteen of which he spent with his sister Nora Lee on his home place where he died Friday, May 8th, 1914 after a lingering illness caused by cancer. Mr. Lee was well known and much respected throughout the valley. The funeral took place from the Nooksack M. C. Church Sunday morning at 11 o'clock, Rev. Hodge of Lynden officiating. Interment was made in Nooksack cemetery.
(From The Nooksack Reporter May 15, 1914) Submitted by site coordinator.

LEFAVOR, Joseph (d. 1917)

Joseph Lefavor, a widely known Civil war veteran, passed away at the home of his son Jasper a short distance east of Blaine on Monday. He had been in feeble health for several years, but appeared not to be sick during his last days. Death apparently was due to a general decline from old age.

Joseph Lefavor was born at Athens, Ohio, Jan. 22, 1839. At the age of 15 the family moved to Missouri. March 10, 1861, he was united in marriage to Laura Parker, who survives him. To this union 12 children were born. At the outbreak of the Civil war he enlisted in Company H 1st Missouri cavalry and served until the close of the war with honor, filling the position of bugler. In 1873, with his family, he moved to Minnesota and resided there until 1893, when he and his wife, with their youngest child, came west to Blaine and have resided here since. The funeral services were held from the Baptist church Wednesday afternoon at two o'clock, Rev. Shanks officiating. The deceased lived an honorable life and in his quiet way made many friends here who sympathize with the wife and son in the loss of husband and father.
(From The Blaine Journal February 2, 1917) Submitted by site coordinator.

LEFAVOR, Laura A. (d. 1917)

Mrs. Joseph Lefavor passed away Sunday afternoon at the home of her son, Jasper, just east of Blaine. She was 74 years of age and had been in feeble health for a long time. The funeral services were held in the Baptist church Tuesday afternoon, Rev. W. A. Shanks officiating.

Laura A. Parker was born at Stillwater, Maine, April 16, 1843. She was joined in marriage to Joseph Lefavor March 10, 1861 at Smithton, Mo. They resided in Missouri for a number of years and in 1873 moved to Minnesota where they lived for 20 years. In 1893 they came west and settled at Blaine. Her husband preceded her to the great beyond last January.Twelve children were born to this union, of whom nine are still living, as follows: Jasper Lefavor of Blaine, William of Lamoore, Cal., Frank of Ronan, Mont., Charlie of Grand Forks, N. D., Eugene of Cambridge, Minn., Obie of Millette, Nev., Oscar of Louisiana, Mrs. Mary Babb of Spencer Brook, Minn., and Mrs. Fannie Chesley of Burke, Idaho.
(From The Blaine Journal October 12, 1917) Submitted by site coordinator.

LEFEVRE, Joseph R. (d. 1896)

LEGOE, Charles B. (d. 1923)

Charles Byron Legoe, prominent farmer and public official, of Ferndale, passed away Sunday in Portland, Ore., following an operation for cancer of the stomach. News of his sudden death came as a shock to his many friends in Ferndale and vicinity, where he had resided for many years. Mr. Legoe's body was brought here from Portland on Monday and the funeral was held from the home Wednesday at 1:30, with several hundred friends present to pay final tribute. The sermon was delivered by Rev. J. W. Moles of Custer, and Mrs. H. B. Douglas sang. "Thantopsis" was given by Miss Norma Bardon. Members of the Modern Woodmen and of Ferndale Grange, of which organizations Mr. Legoe was a member, conducted services at Woodlawn cemetery, where the body was laid at rest.

Charles Byron Legoe was born July 15, 1864, near Mineral Point, Wis., and lived on the old homestead most of the time for 37 years. Herbert the oldest son, was born in the old home 30 years after his father's birth. Mr. Legoe was married in 1892 to Miss Mary Tobler, of Spring Valley, Minnesota. Three children were born to this union: Herbert, Olive and Glenn, all of whom are at the present time in Ferndale. Besides his immediate family he leaves to mourn his loss three brothers, John Legoe, of Racine, Wis.; Thomas Legoe, of Whatcheer, Iowa and Fred Legoe of Bellingham.

Mr. Legoe had been failing in health for several months but at attended to his duties in his home and in the community until after consulting a specialist he found it necessary to have an operation. He left for Portland Christmas day accompanied by his son, Herbert. The operation was performed Saturday morning at 9:30. He passed away Sunday afternoon at 2:45.

In 1892 Mr. Legoe and his family moved to Missouri, where they lived for eight years. They came then to Whatcom county and have resided in the vicinity of Ferndale ever since. He has held various offices in the community, the first of which was township supervisor in 1910 and 1911. He resigned from this office because of his election to the board of county commissioners. He was chairman of the board during the four years he served. In 1920 he was elected director of the Ferndale school district, and was appointed president of the board. He was also one of the first directors of the Citizens bank and vice president of that institution at the time of his death. The community chose well, say Mr. Legoe's friends, for he was untiring in his efforts to bring about the best results in all the offices. His progressiveness and discretion were two of the characteristics that won the confidence and admiration of the people. To friends he was loyal and sympathetic; to his family he was kind and loving. His whole thought was for others and it has been his little unnoticed deeds of kindness that have all along the way combined to make his character strong and brave enough to reach the goal he has attained.
(From The Ferndale Record, January 5, 1923) Submitted by site coordinator.

LEHMAN, Walter (d. 1907)

LEIBRANDT, Lena L. (d. 1928)

At her home in Bellingham, after a comparatively short illness, Mrs. Lena Loretta Leibrandt passed away Saturday morning, June 9. She was one of the old-timers in this district, having lived at Deming and Liberty before moving to Seattle in 1916, but during the past two years had been a resident of Bellingham. Funeral services were held at the Advent Church on Tuesday afternoon at 1:30, interment being made at the Nooksack cemetery, Rev. J. B. Keepers officiating. Surviving are four daughters, Mrs. Violet Corfee of Liberty, Mrs. Lily Orr of Nooksack, Miss Myrtle Leibrandt of Seattle, Mrs. Daisy Brown, and two sons, Charles and John Leibrandt, of Bellingham.
(From The Nooksack Sentinel, June 21, 1928) Submitted by site coordinator.

LEITNER, Leopold (d. 1923)

Leopold Leitner, a member of the J. B. Steadman post of the G. A. R., died Sunday evening at his home, 1411 Keesling street, at the age of 81 years, after a long illness. He had lived in Bellingham twenty years. Mr. Leitner served three years with Company B, 21st Regiment of Wisconsin. The survivors are the widow, Mrs. Henrietta Leitner; four daughters, Mrs. Lewis Everheardt, Wisconsin; Mrs. Lizzie Lohler, Oregon; Mrs. Emma Morton, California, and Mrs. Clara Kinne, Bellingham; two sons, Lee and Frank, Willwood, Wash., and thirteen grandchildren. The funeral will be held Wednesday at 2:30 p. m., at the Harlow mortuary home, with J. B. Steadman post in charge.
(From The Bellingham Herald, March 5, 1923) Submitted by site coordinator.

LENHARDT, Mary M. (d. 1903)

LEONARD, Henry (d. 1928)

Henry Leonard, Who Fought for the U.S. In Civil War, Dies.
Henry Leonard, who was a private in Company E, 158th Tennessee (sic) regiment of infantry in the Civil War, died Saturday afternoon at his home, 1416 Wilson avenue, aged 88 years. He had been ill several months. Funeral rites will be held Tuesday at 1:30 p.m., at the Harlow mortuary with George Martinich, of the I.B.S.A., officiating. Ritualistic services by J. B. Steedman post No. 24, G.A.R., will follow. The body will be cremated at the mortuary. Mr. Leonard, who came to the United States from Germany, fought on the Union side in the Civil war, while his two brothers were Confederate soldiers.

Funeral notice: Henry Leonard, aged 88 years and a resident of Bellingham for the past twenty years, passed away at his home, 1416 Wilson avenue, Saturday, June 9, after several weeks' illness. He leaves many friends here, but no known relatives. Mr. Leonard was a private in Company E, 158th regimental infantry of the State of Pennsylvania during the Civil war. The body rests at the Harlow Mortuary Home, Holly at Forest, where funeral services will be held Tuesday, June 12, at 1:30 o'clock, with George Martinich, of the I.B.S.A., officiating, and the ritualistic services of the J. B. Steedman post No. 24, G.A.R., given by the officers, followed by cremation at the Harlow Mortuary
(From The Bellingham Herald, June 11, 1928) Submitted by Merrily Lawson.

LESLIE, Mary M. (d. 1908)

Mary M. Leslie, a widow aged 37 years, died at the residence of her cousin, Mrs. Elmer E. McFadden, 1218 Grant Street, last evening at 5 o'clock, death being due to a hemorrhage of the lungs. Mrs. Leslie was a resident of Everett, and had been visiting with her cousin for about three weeks. She is survived by her mother, three sisters and two brothers, residents of Missoula, Montana, and a brother and two sisters, who live at Ottumwa, Iowa. The body lies at the private receiving room of W. H. Mock & Sons in the Maple Block, where it is being prepared for shipment to Missoula, Montana.
(From The American Reveille, March 1, 1908) Submitted by site coordinator.

LEVITT, Almira (d. 1941)

Funeral services for Mrs. Almira Levitt were held Tuesday afternoon, at 2 o'clock from the Purdy & McKinney Chapel with the Rev. J. N. Bridges officiating. Favorite hyms were sung by Elias Breidford with Mrs. Harriet Owen at the piano. The floral offering were very beautiful. Interment was made in the Haynie Cemetery. Mrs. Levitt passed away in a Bellingham hospital on Saturday evening at the age of 62 years. She had resided in this vicinity for the past forty years and is survived by her husband, Wesley Levitt; four daughters, Mrs. Helen Lang of Selah, Wash., Mrs. Maud Elliot of Port Orchard, Mrs. Mabel Caughell, Bellingham and Mrs. Isabelle Klassen of Yakima; two sons, Gordon Behme, address unknown, and Thorton Behme, of Ferndale and three grandchildren.
(From The Blaine Journal, April 17, 1941) Submitted by site coordinator.

LEVITT, Mettie M. (d. 1914)

Mettie M., wife of Weslie (sic) Levitt, passed away suddenly Monday of last week, January 5th, at her home at Haynie from heart failure, following a period of illness lasting several months. Death came just as the family had hopes of her ultimate recovery. Her age was 25 years, 8 months and 19 days. The funeral services were held at the home Thursday of last week, Rev. Jos. Weiss of this city officiating, and interment made in the Haynie cemetery. The deceased was the eldest daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Chas. Welever and was born in Rodney, Michigan. When one year old she came to Washington with her parents, most of the intervening time living in the vicinity. She was married to Weslie Levitt, August 8, 1910. Two children, both of whom have passed to the great beyond, were born to this union. The bereaved husband and parents have the sympathy of a host of friends in their sorrow.
(From The Blaine Journal, January 16, 1914) Submitted by site coordinator.

LEWIS, Alexander (d. 1898)

A sad and deplorable accident occurred last Tuesday morning at the Great Northern railway crossing on the Haynie road as the south bound train was leaving this city, whereby Alexander Lewis and his eldest son, aged 7 years, lost their lives. Mr. Lewis had been in the city during the morning disposing of his produce, and had started for his ranch near Delta, driving a two-horse lumber wagon. When he arrived at this crossing, which is about one and one-half miles south of the depot, it is surmised that he had determined to take a chance on a collision with the outgoing train, and when seen by Mr. J. T. Gander, the engineer, was standing upright in the wagon evidently urging his horses on at a high rate of speed. It is thought by some that the team became unmanagable at the shriek of the whistle. At all events the engine struck midway between the horses and the wagon, throwing both occupants to the ground and causing their death instantly, as an examination showed that both skulls were fractured. The horses were killed and the wagon rendered a total wreck. The remains were taken in charge by the train crew and removed to the depot, where Judge Prunner, acting as coroner, viewed them, took the statement of the engineer, the only living witness to the sad affair, and allowed the train to proceed. Later in the day Acting Coroner Warriner of Whatcom arrived, and after looking over the facts in the case and taking some testimony decided that the circumstances hardly warranted the holding of an inquest, as it would develop nothing that was not already known.

Mr. Lewis was nearly 70 years of age, and had been a resident of Delta precinct since 1885, coming from Vancouver, B. C. He was a soldier in the civil war and a member of the Blaine G. A. R. post. He leaves a widow and three small children, the youngest being a babe of six weeks. The circumstances of the family are not the best, and taking away of the father and husband is a sad blow to them, owing to their straightened circumstances. Mr. Lewis was well known throughout the county, having been quite prominent in politics. So far as known no blame attaches to the engineer or trainmen, as it is believed they took every precaution possible to avert the disaster. The remains were buried from the Union church on Wednesday afternoon at 3 o'clock, Rev. W. E. Dawson officiating, the place of interment being the Blaine cemetery. A large number of friends, including members of the Grand Army Post, were among the attendants. The sad affair has cast a gloom over the entire community, and the widow and orphans have the sympathy of a large number of friends in their sad bereavement.
The unnamed son was Perely A. LEWIS.
(From The Blaine Journal, August 5, 1898) Submitted by site coordinator.

LEWIS, John P. (d. 1919)

John P. Lewis, civil war veteran and for more than 31 years a Bellingham resident, died early this morning at his residence, 2316 H street, at the age of 73 years, after a long illness. He was a member of J. B. Steedman G. A. R. Post No. 24, and of the Garden Street M. E. church, and was once president of the post. In past years he was active in public affairs and had many friends. The survivors are his widow, Mrs. Elizabeth Lewis, two sons, Henry Lewis and F. V. Lewis, of Bellingham; one sister, Miss Lucinda Lewis, of New Ross, Ind.; and one brother, William H. Lewis, of Garwin, Ia. The funeral will be held tomorrow at 2 p. m. at Arthur C. Harlow's chapel, with the Rev. F. B. Culver officiating, assisted by the officers of J. B. Steedman post. At the grave in Bay View cemetery the officers of the post will have charge of the services. Friends intending to attend the services at the cemetery are asked to bring autos.
(From The Bellingham Herald, July 19, 1919) Submitted by site coordinator.

LEWIS, Mary (d. 1887)

LEYSHON, John G. (d. 1919)

John G. Leyshon, age 66 years, passed away at the family home, 233 South Garden street, on the morning of Wednesday, April 2, after a brief illness. Mr Leyshon, with his family, had resided in Bellingham for the past twelve years. He was employed as accountant by the Pacific American Fisheries and leaves many friends who will mourn his loss. He was a member of the Masons and Scottish Rite bodies of masonry, holding his membership at Canyon City, Colo. He is survived by Mrs. Leyshon and one daughter, Miss Ruth Leyshon of Bellingham. Three sisters also survive, Mrs. Maggie Simmons, Dover, Del., Mrs. Cassie Postles, Camden, Del., and Mrs. Ella Allen, Denver, Colo. The remains are being cared for at the funeral parlors of Harry O. Bingham, 1319 Dock street. Funeral announcements will be made later.
(From The Bellingham Herald, April 2, 1919)

Back to Obituary Index

Back to Whatcom GenWeb Home Page