Whatcom County Obituaries

Surnames Beginning with "Sa-Sc"

SAAR Willis (d. 1889)

GERA. Died - On Tuesday, the 22nd of April, in Whatcom, of Typhoid fever, Willis Saar, son of Mr. Peter Saar, of this place. Deceased was born on White River, in Washington Territory, but has resided in Whatcom county for the last six years. At the time of his death he was 22 years of age, and has long been known and recognized as a devoted and loving son. Aside from the seeming, untimely and irreparable loss sustained by the family of Mr. Saar this community has sustained a loss in death of an amiable and kind-hearted young man, whose place in their feelings of affection cannot easily be filled. We have for nearly two known the deceased and have yet to hear aught of him, except in his praise, for his high qualities relating to his domestic and social character. We extend to the much bereaved family our most earnest feelings of condolence, and hope that time will bring them to a cheerful submission to inevitable death.
(From The Bellingham Bay Reveille, May 3, 1889) Submitted by site coordinator.

SAHLBOM, Martha (d. 1935)

SALISBURY, Alanson C. (d. 1922)

Alanson C. Salisbury, for twenty years a resident of Whatcom county, part of the time at Blaine, died yesterday at a local hospital at the age of 84. He lived at 1022 Twenty-second street. He served throughout the Civil war as a member of Company F, Tenth regiment New York volunteer heavy artillery. He leaves a sister, Mrs. M. W. Williams, in New York state. The funeral services will be held at Arthur C. Harlow's chapel Saturday at 2 p. m., with the Rev. Duncan McPhail officiating. Afterward at the chapel officers of J. B. Steedman post will conduct a ritualistic service.
(From The Bellingham Herald, July 6, 1922) Submitted by site coordinator.

SANDS, B. M. (d. 1913)

The community was shocked on the afternoon of May 30 to hear of the sudden death of B. M Sands, who was found dead in a field on his farm near Hampton. After dinner he went to the field seemingly in his usual health and a few hours later was found by a neighbor. B. M. Sands was born Oct. 16, 1853 in Ohio. Two years later the family moved to Iowa where he grew to manhood and in 1865 was married to Miss Effie Hawkins. In 1889 they moved to Tacoma, Wash., and continued their residence there until about four years ago when they moved to Nooksack where they resided for a few months later moving to their farm where they were living at the time of his death. He is survived by a widow and four children. The services were conducted at the house by the Rev. E. O. Harris of the M. E. Church. Interment in the Nooksack cemetery.
(From The Nooksack Reporter, June 13, 1913) Submitted by site coordinator.

SANDWICK, Olive (d. 1935)

SANDWICK, Otto A. (d. 1936)

Otto A. Sandwick, aged 60 years, passed away at a local hospital Wednesday, August 26, following a short illness. Mr. Sandwick, whose home is at 520 Seventeenth Street, had been a resident here for the past thirty-seven years and for thirty years was a merchant in South Bellingham. Deceased was at one time a member of the Bellingham Park Board and was a member of Our Saviour's Lutheran Church. Surviving him are the widow, Olga Sandwick and two sons, Joseph and John Sandwick at the family home. The remains are resting at the funeral home of Harlow-Hollingsworth where funeral services will be conducted by the Rev. O. J. Ordal, Saturday, August 29, at 1:30 p.m. followed by interment in Bay View Cemetery.       Image
(From The Bellingham Herald, August 28, 1936)

SANE, Pauline (d. 1894)

Died in Lynden, August 6, 1894, of cerebral anurism, Mrs. Pauline Sane, age 26 years, 8 months and 13 days. Pauline Robinson was born in Canton, Ohio, November 24, 1868. She removed to Lynden with her parents in August, 1884, since which time she has resided here, and for several years was a student in the normal school completing her education at Seattle. She was married to Benjamin Sane May 30, 1889. For several years, before and after her marriage, she was prominently identified with every laudable project, lending her musical talents upon all occasions where required. She was a loving wife and fond, patient mother, and her sweet, amiable disposition gathered around her many true and steadfast friends who fee her untimely departure as keenly as if she were their own sister. Early in life Mrs. Sane identified herself with the Methodist Episcopal church. A little over a year ago her malady, which is believed to have been cerebral anurism, or an enlargement of the baseal artery, became quite acute. The case was difficult to diagnose and consequently difficult of treatment. Death was caused by the rupture of the baseal artery, cutting off the supply of blood to the brain, and was very sudden. She suffered intensely at intervals for the past year, but even during her most acute suffering she was remarkably patient and considerate of others.

She was the third child of Mr. and Mrs. E. J. Robinson. Her parents, two brothers and two sisters, a loving husband and two sweet children, aged respectively 1 and 3 years, together with a large circle of relatives and friends, mourn her loss. The funeral took place from the M. E. Church in Lynden on Wednesday at 2 p. m. Rev. T. J. Massey, presiding elder, preached a very eloquent and touching sermon in which he impressively referred to the sweetness and amiability of her character and her Christian attributes. The church was tastefully decorated and filled to its utmost with loving friends who had gathered to pay their last tributes of respect to one who has been so dear to them during her lifetime. Her remains were interred in the Lynden Cemetery.
(From The Lynden Pioneer Press reprinted in the Abilene Gazette, September 28, 1894) Submitted by Thomas Branigar.

SANFORD, Edwin P. (d. 1932)

In the Church of the Assumption at 9 a. m. Thursday funeral services will be held for Edward (sic) P. Sanford, vice president of the Bellingham National bank, who died Tuesday at his home, 3018 Lakeway drive, aged 67 years. The Rev. Father James F. Barrett will officiate. Interment will follow in Bay View cemetery under the direction of the Harlow-Hollingsworth funeral home. Active pallbearers will be Nicholas Jerns, Thad McGlinn, A. J. Friese, August Lalonde, D. J. Brethour and J. B. Wahl. Honorary bearers will be Dr. S. S. Howe, Victor A. Roeder, William McCush, Harry C. Deal, Harry B. Paige and B. T. Drake. Mr. Sanford, who was one of Bellingham's most esteemed citizens, was a member of the Church of the Assumption, the Holy Names society of the Assumption, Knights of Columbus and Bellingham Elks' lodge No. 194. Relatives surviving are one brother, Don Sanford, Arkansas; three sisters, Mrs. Ed. Everitt and Miss Emma Sanford, Galesburg, Ill., and Mrs. Frank Harrah, Oklahoma City, Okla., and a large number of other relatives.

Mr. Sanford was born in Illinois January 12, 1865. As a young man he entered the banking business at de Smet, S. D., where on August 2, 1890, he married Mary Power, sister of Mrs. S. E. Leitch, of Seattle. In 1906 Mr. Sanford removed from De Smet to Bellingham becoming affiliated at that time with the Bellingham National bank. When he died he was one of its vice presidents and directors. Though quiet and unassuming, Mr. Sanford did much personal charity work and was highly esteemed by friends and associates.
(From The Bellingham Herald, June 1, 1932) Submitted by site coordinator.

Sanford headstone Although the records of Bayview Cemetery and the obit in the Bellingham Herald call him Edward, relative Gina Terrana has supplied sufficient documentation to show that his name was really Edwin.

SANSREGRET, Oscar (d. 1932)

Funeral services for Oscar Sansregret, aged 63 years, beloved husband of Adele Sansregret, who passed away suddenly at the family home on Sunset highway, Friday morning, March 11, after a brief illness will be held Monday, March 14, at 9 a. m. from the Church of the Assumption, with Father James F. Barrett officiating and interment will be made in the family plot in Bay View cemetery under the direction of the Bingham-Dahlquist Funeral Home. Mr. Sansregret had been a resident of Bellingham for the past thirteen years and leaves a host of friends to mourn his passing. He leaves to survive him the widow and one daughter, Mrs. George Lusk; three sons, Lee J., Donald and Howard, all of this city, and six sisters, Mrs. J. Preville, of Montreal; Mrs. A. Latendresse, of L'Anse, Mich.; Mrs. Sam Blanchette, of Duluth, Minn.; Mrs. Frank Mirron, L'Anse, Mich.; Mrs. Joseph Clement, Detroit, Mich., and Mrs. Fred Masier, Winnipeg, Canada; two brothers, Joseph Sansregret, Pequaming, Mich., and George Sansregret, Houghton, Mich.; also six grandchildren. Casket bearers will be Joseph Kemphaus, William Sullivan, Mike Charland, Tom McMahon, Henry Chevrier and A. LaCasse. The Rosary will be held at the chapel Sunday at 3 p. m.
(From The Bellingham Herald, March 12, 1932) Submitted by site coordinator.

SANSREGRET, Philomena (d. 1933)

SASS, Herman (d. 1917)

Funeral services for the late Herman Sass, who passed away in Bellingham Friday, were held at the family residence Sunday afternoon in the presence of members of the family, and a few close friends. The Rev. Paul Ashby conducted the services. Pall bearers were W. E. Topping, Charles Galbraith, H. L. Williams, J. Rinehart, Frank Pace, and George Worthen. Special music was furnished by a quartet composed of Mrs. B. C. De Long, Mrs. Walter Fisher, Mark Hammond and Ed Edson.

Herman Sass was born in Hamburg, Germany January 1, 1850. He came to America in 1854, with his parents, who settled at Sauk City, Wis., where he grew to manhood, and married Nov. 13, 1872, to Augusta Louisa Dohr. To this union were born two children, both living. In 1878, he moved to Minnesota, going overland in a "prairie schooner," settling as one of the earliest pioneers at Lake Benton, Minn., where he worked at his trade as a wagon maker two years, giving it up to move to a homestead in Pipestone County, where his daughters grew to womanhood and were married. After spending 24 years on the farm, he moved to Holland, Minn., a nearby town, and from there to Lynden in 1912. He leaves to mourn his departure his wife, two daughters, Mrs. T. H. Kavanagh of Pontiex, Sask., Canada, and Mrs. P. M. Serrurier of Lynden, two half-sisters, Minnie and Martha Sass of Sauk City, Wis., two half brothers, Paul Sass of Roxbury, Wis., and Carl Sass of Rudyard, Mich. Notwithstanding his German parentage and life-long surroundings and influences, Mr. Sass was a loyal American in every sense. He never affiliated with any lodge or church organization. His religion was life, and the brotherhood of man. He was a good neighbor, faithful husband, and kind father, and while his last days were full of pain, he was stoically patient to the end, bearing his burdens alone, and troubling others as little as possible.
(From The Lynden Tribune, September 27, 1917) Submitted by site coordinator.

SAUNDERS, Frank (d. 1903)

Frank Saunders, a young man about twenty years old, lost his life yesterday in York addition by being run over by a gravel wagon. The fatality happened on Humboldt street about 11 a. m., while the deceased was trying to check the team which he was driving and which was running away. Saunders was employed by Charles Lind, who has the contract to ballast the Whatcom Railway & Light Company's York addition extension, to haul gravel for ballast. The teamsters thus employed dump the gravel as near the track as possible. Saunders had just unloaded his wagon and was standing between the horses and wagon adjusting the dump boards when Car No. 51 in charge of Motorman F. G. Fuller rounded the curve on the corner of Lake and Humboldt streets. The motorman rang the bell, but saw that the horses, which were about 200 feet from the corner, were restive and as the wagon was so close to the track he feared to risk passing them and stopped the car about the time the horses started to run. Saunders attempted to stop them and tried to mount the wagon, but was unable to do so and was carried along for perhaps half a block, when he fell. One or two wheels passed over him, fracturing the base of the skull breaking his right jaw and bruising his right arm just below the shoulder.

About that time one of the delivery wagons of a grocery store came along and Saunders was lifted into it and taken to St. Luke's hospital. Dr. Axtell, was called, but when he arrived life was extinct and it is not believed Saunders lived until the hospital was reached. The relatives of the young man live between Lynden and Custer and have been notified. The body lies at Maulsby's undertaking parlors awaiting a reply from Saunders' family. Coroner Noice states that no inquest will be held.
(From The Daily Reveille, November 13, 1903) Submitted by site coordinator.

SAVAGE, Mary E. (d. 1916)

Mrs. Mary E. Savage, mother of Mrs. Joseph Weiss, passed away at the Congregational parsonage last Friday, Jan. 21st, after a brief illness of a weeks' duration. Mrs. Savage had been visiting with her daughter for the past three months intending soon to return to her home at North Yakima. The cold weather kept her in Blaine longer than she had planned, as she was a constant sufferer from asthma and dared not make the journey until the cold abated. Her daughter's serious illness caused her to worry until a complication of troubles set in to which she finally succumbed.

On the 27th of last month she celebrated her 69th birthday and seemed at the time to be in excellent spirits. Two daughters survive her, Mrs. Joseph Weiss of this city and Mrs. Wirt E. Gould of North Yakima. The remains were shipped to Rockford, Illinois, to be buried beside her husband, who preceded her in death over 23 years ago. Most of her life was spent in Rockford, where relatives and many friends of long standing paid their last tribute of respect as they laid her to rest on Thursday of this week. Mrs. Savage was a woman of unreproachable character, whose ideals were high, and whose conceptions of life were of the finest and noblest. She never knew what it meant to spare herself but lived for her family and for the big things around her that made for righteousness and character. During the years of her life in Rockford, Ill., she was identified in a quiet and unassuming way with many public enterprises, where judgment and wisdom were always valued. Coming to North Yakima three years ago to make her home with her daughter there, she soon made a big place for herself in the activities of that city, where as a member of the Methodist church, of the Women's Club and of the W.C.T.U. and also as a member of the official board of the Young Women's Christian Association, her services were found of unusual value. She was a woman of rare refinement and where ever she came in contact with people her influence was uplifting.
(From The Blaine Journal, January 28, 1916) Submitted by site coordinator.

SAVILLE, Jessie E. (d. 1905)

Mrs. Jessie E. Saville died here at the home of her mother, Mrs. Ellen Edson, last Thursday morning, May 18th, after a long illness. She was forty-three years and six months old at the time of her death. The funeral was held from the Edson residence Friday afternoon and the services consisted of a couple of songs and a short sketch of the lady's life by Mrs. Phoebe Judson. Interment was made in the Lynden Cemetery west of the city.

Mrs. Saville was born in Clear Lake, Cerra Gordo Co., Iowa, on the 17th of November, 1861. She was married to H. A. White on Feb. 14th, 1882. They came to this state in the year 1883 and located in Whatcom where they resided for a number of years. Mrs. Saville made two trips to California on account of failing health. The first was in 1901 and she returned the same year. She again made the trip last year and returned but a week before her death. A very dear friend, Mrs. Helen Gardner, of Los Angeles, accompanied her home the last time and was with her when she died. The deceased suffered with stomach and liver trouble and could not get any help, though everything possible for her relief was done for her. She was the only sister of Mr. E. Edson, proprietor of the City Drug Store, of this place.
Note: She was buried in Lynden cemetery as Jessie EDSON
(From The Pacific Pilot, May 25, 1905) Submitted by site coordinator.

SCAMAN, Charles (d. 1915)

Charles Scaman, pioneer of the valley died suddenly yesterday afternoon at his home north of Cashmere. Death is attributed to heart failure. He had been in good spirits and health for sometime, and death was entirely unexpected. Besides his wife, he leaves six children; Mrs. Leon Ware of Sacramento, Calif.; Mrs. G. B. McCullough, of Seattle; Mrs. J. J. Pinckney of Blaine; John A. Scaman of Wenatchee; Fred and Leon Scaman of Cashmere. Funeral arrangements will be announced tomorrow.
The funeral of Charles Scamon, Wenatchee valley pioneer who died suddenly Thursday afternoon at his home west of Cashmere will be held Sunday afternoon at 1:30 o'clock from his home. The services will be conducted by the Masonic lodge of which he was a member. Interment will be made in the Cashmere cemetery. Mr. Scamon was one of the first settlers in the valley, homesteading his present place 17 years ago. He was born at Port Hope, Durham county, Ontario, Canada on December 30, 1844. Twenty-four years later, he was married to Olive Adelaide Harvey at Raleigh, Kent county, Ontario. To them were born eight children, six of whom are living. He is survived by his wife.
(From The Wenatchee Daily World, November 5 & 6, 1915) Submitted by Mark Vernon

SCAMAN, Harold (d. 1902)

The nine year old son of Mr. and Mrs. Chas. Scaman Dies of Appendicitis. A bright lad and loved by all.
     About two weeks ago Harold Scaman was taken with Pneumonia and Typhoid. From this he slightly recovered when he was taken very sick with Appendicitis. He was taken to the hospital at Seattle to have an operation performed. The disease had developed so far that it was beyond medical skill and nothing could be done for him, and he passed away on Wednesday. The remains were brought here yesterday and the funeral services were held at the family home in the East part of the city and were very largely attended. Over one hundred of the school children were present. Rev. McGill delivered the funeral oration and paid a glowing tribute to the young lad. Hal, or Bunnie Scaman as he was known, was one of the best of boys and was one whom everybody knew and loved.
     He was kind and dutiful to his parents and to his brothers and sisters. The sympathy of the entire community is with the bereaved family in the loss of one so dear to them and may they find comfort in the thought that the Devine Will orders all things for the best and that He who so ordains will also give consllation (sic) to those that are distressed. The remains were placed at rest in the cemetery in the East part of the city.
(From The Blaine Journal, April 11, 1902) Submitted by Mark Vernon

SCAMAN, Olive A. (d. 1925)

Mrs. Charles Scaman, pioneer of this valley passed away at the home of her son J. A. Scaman in Wenatchee Sunday morning at 5 o'clock. She was almost 76 years of age. The deceased, who resided with her son Leon C. Scaman on the ranch, west of Cashmere, has not been feeling real well and was persuaded by her son to go to Wenatchee for a few days visit with J. A. Scaman and family. On Friday evening she was suddenly stricken with what resembled a paralytic stroke, from which she did not rally and passed away early Sunday morning. Mrs. Olive Adelaide Scaman, who was a native of Chatham, Ontario, Canada, came to the United States nearly 50 years ago, and has resided in the vale of Cashmere since 1904. Surviving her are six children: Mrs. Leon Ware of Sacramento, Calif., Mrs. G. B. McCulloch (Doctor) of Seattle; J. A. Scaman of Wenatchee; Mrs. J. J. Pinckney of Blaine, Washington, Fred C. and Leon C. Scaman of Cashmere. The funeral services were held at the Keulbs Undertaking Parlor Tuesday afternoon. Rev. J. S. Bell of the Methodist church conducting the services. "Lead Kindly Light" and "Abide with me" were sung by Mrs. Clarke Bixler and Miss Bertha Murdock, with Mrs. Wilson Dynes at the organ. F. N. Mintzer, Harry Powell, Harman Mikkelson, Harry Kinyon, R. A. McKellar and R. W. Caldwell were the pallbearers. The services were concluded at the old cemetery, where interment was made beside the body of her husband.
(From The Cashmere Valley Record, April 16, 1925) Submitted by Mark Vernon

SCARSETH, Howard G. (d. 1938)

SCHAGEL, Drusilla (d. 1933)

Funeral services for Mrs. Drusilla Schagel, aged 63 years, beloved wife of Solomon E. Schagel, 1110 Key street, who passed away at a local hospital Thursday, August 3, after a brief illness, will be held in the Cathedral chapel of the Homer Mark Mortuary, Saturday, August 5, at 1:30 p.m., with the Rev. Earl Hanson Fife, pastor of The First Christian church, officiating, followed by cremation. Mrs. Schagel had been a resident of this community for the past fourteen years and was a member of the Ladies’ auxiliary of the Carpenters’ union, local No. 198. Aside from a host of friends who will mourn her passing, she leaves to survive, her husband, Solomon E. Schagel, and one daughter, Miss Irene Schagel, at the family home; also three brothers, George J. Ogden, of this city; J. Elmer Ogden of Portland, Ore., and Roy Ogden, of Kalispell, Mont., and three sisters, Mrs. Susan Norris, of Warland, Mont.; Mrs. May Henry, of Missoula, Mont.; and Mrs. Violet Dorrey of Whitefish, Mont.
(From The Bellingham Herald, April 4, 1933) Submitted by Merrily Lawson.

SCHERMERHORN, Herman A. (d. 1934)

Funeral services for Herman Alden Schermerhorn, aged 63 years, beloved husband of Mrs. Etta Schermerhorn, who passed away at the family home, 501 Garden street, Sunday, February 11, after an illness of several months, will be held in the Cathedral Chapel of the Homer Mark Mortuary Wednesday afternoon, February 14, at 2 o'clock, with the Rev. John R. Macartney, pastor of the First Presbyterian church, officiating at the chapel, followed by ritualistic services by officers and members of Whatcom lodge No. 151, F. & A. M., at the graveside at Greenacres Memorial park. Mr. Schermerhorn was a member and trustee of the First Presbyterian church, a member of Whatcom lodge No. 151, F. & A. M., Sehome Chapter No. 17, Order of Eastern Star, and Capital City lodge No. 48 Independent Order of Odd Fellows at St. Paul, Minn. Mr. Schermerhorn owned and operated the Hot Doughnut Factory for ten years. He was a building contractor prior to and after leaving the bakery business. For the past few years he built and has been operating the Schermerhorn apartments on Garden street, and has also been connected with the Bellingham News agency. Surviving relatives, besides the widow, are one son, Fay A. Schermerhorn, city; two brothers, Joe Schermerhorn, Des Moines, Iowa, and Barnum Schermerhorn, New York; one sister, Mrs. Minnie Cook, Denmark, N.Y.; one niece, Mrs. Harry Blodgett, Redlands, Cal., and one grandson, John Alden Schermerhorn, city.
(From The Bellingham Herald, February 13, 1934)

SCHMIDLAPP, William (d. 1916)

William Shmidlapp (sic), a familiar character in Bellingham for the last thirty-five years, died at his home 1123 Forest street, at an early hour Friday evening, at the age of 68 years. Mr. Shmidlapp came to this city from Ohio. For many years he was a teamster and became widely known as he drove his team about the city hauling wood. He is survived by his widow and two sons, William D. and Herman R. Shmidlapp, of this city. The funeral will be held Monday at 2:30 p. m. at Harlow & Livingston's parlors, the Rev. H. F. W. Meyer, of the German Evangelical Lutheran St. John's church, officiating.
(From The Bellingham Herald, March 5, 1916) Submitted by site coordinator.

SCHMUTZ, John (d. 1905)

SCHNEIDER, Benedict (d. 1912)

When near the goal of his eighty-first birthday and after having lived in Whatcom county for twenty-nine years, death came to Benedict Schneider, a pioneer of the Nooksack valley, yesterday morning at the home of his daughter, Mrs. W. B. Wilson, 2123 New Street, this city. Mr. Schneider was born in the Canton of Berne, Switzerland. Had he lived until February 15 of this year Mr. Schneider would have been 81 years of age. He came to this country in the year 1866 with his family, settling in Illinois, where he resided for four years, moving from there to Missouri. In 1883 the family moved to Whatcom county and settled on the ranch in the Nooksack valley, six miles north of Ferndale. Since that day the family has continuously lived on the Nooksack valley farm. The wife of the deceased passed away in July of the year 1907, at the age of 81 years. Mr. Schneider has been living with his daughter in Bellingham for several weeks, while he was receiving medical attention.

The deceased leaves four sons, Sanders, Fred, John and Godfroid, all of Ferndale; two daughters, Mrs. W. B. Wilson, of Bellingham, and Mrs. O. E. Wilson, of Ferndale; one stepdaughter, Mrs. Mary Gibson, of Everett. A brother and a sister live in Missouri. The body of the pioneer will be held at the undertaking parlors of Harry O. Bingham in this city until Wednesday morning, when it will be removed to Ferndale, where the services will be held at the funeral parlors of Munroe & Jackson at 12 o'clock, noon. The Rev. C. H. Burdick, of this city, will officiate. Interment will be made in Woodlawn cemetery.
(From The Bellingham Herald, January 15, 1912) Submitted by site coordinator.

SCHNEIDER, John (d. 1931)

John Schneider, well known dairyman of the Ferndale district, pioneer resident since 1882, passed away at his home early Saturday morning. Funeral services were held at the Monroe Mortuary Monday afternoon with the Rev. G. E. Landen officiating. Interment was made in the Woodlawn cemetery.

John Schneider came to this district with his parents, the late Mr. and Mrs. Benedict Schneider, who established a homestead on the Ferndale-Lynden highway north of Ferndale. Mr. Schneider took up a homestead near his parents when twenty-four years of age. He built his first home in 1883 which had the distinction of being the first house in that district made of sawed lumber. He built his first barn in 1890, and had been a prosperous dairyman since, a member of the Whatcom County Dairymen's association. He was also a member of Delta Grange and was formerly a member of the old Ferndale lodge Knights of Pythias. On March 10, 1923, he was married to Miss Helen Copeman. Besides his widow, Mrs. Helen Schneider, he is survived by two brothers, Godfrey Schneider and Sanders Schneider, both of Ferndale; two sisters, Mrs. O. E. Wilson of Ferndale and Mrs. W. B. Wilson of Bellingham.
(From The Ferndale Record, September 3, 1931) Submitted by site coordinator.

SCHOFIELD, Louisa (d. 1933)

Death Saturday ended the career on one of Lynden's oldest citizens when Mrs. Louisa Schofield passed away at the home of her daughter, Mrs. Lawrence Asam, at the age of 94 years and six months. Funeral services were held Tuesday afternoon from Knapp and Knapp's Parlors with Rev. Walter Laetsch of the Baptist Church officiating. Burial was made in the Lynden Cemetery beside the grave of her husband, James Schofield, who passed away thirty years ago.

Mrs. Schofield was born in England on March 1, 1839 in the third year of Queen Victoria's long reign. She came to the United States at the age of eighteen and settled in New York where she was married to Mr. Schofield. The couple took up a homestead in Nebraska and after a number of years in that state, they moved to California and later to Walla Walla and Tacoma. Coming to Lynden forty-five years ago, Mrs. Schofield had made her home here and in Tacoma since that time. Following her husband's death, Mrs. Schofield divided her time between her daughter's home in Lynden and that of another daughter, Mrs. Emma Harris, in Tacoma. During the last six years, failing health had compelled her to spend all of her time in Lynden. Scores of friends among the pioneer residents of the county mourn Mrs. Schofield's death. Surviving relatives include two daughters, Mrs. Asam and Mrs. Harris, one grandson, George Harris of Tacoma, and one great grandson, Charles Harris, also of Tacoma.
(From The Lynden Tribune, September 7, 1933) Submitted by site coordinator.

SCHREIBER, Adolph (d. 1935)

SCRIMSHER, Charles G. (d. 1901)

C. G. Scrimsher of Ten Mile, one of [the] most widely known pioneers of Whatcom county, died suddenly on Sunday morning, February 24, in the home of Mr. and Mrs. E. B. Collins on the corner of D and Fourteenth streets, this city. Mr. Scrimsher had been a sufferer from paralysis for over a year past and it is thought that his death was the result of a paralytic stroke. A widow and ten children, all adults and residents of Whatcom county, are left to mourn. The remains were conveyed to the old home in Ten Mile yesterday and funeral services were held there at 1:30 o'clock this afternoon, the remains being laid to rest in the Ten Mile cemetery. Mr. Scrimsher came here in 1880, prior to which he had been a resident of Illinois and Kansas. In 1881 he settled with his family on the Ten Mile homestead which has been developed into one of the best tilled and most valuable farms in the county. Mr. Scrimsher was a good neighbor and a highly respected and patriotic citizen. He was born in Illinois on July 27, 1843.
(From The Weekly Blade, February 27, 1901) Submitted by site coordinator.


After a residence of forty years in this county, all of them on a ranch in the Ten Mile district, Mrs. Ella Schrimscher died at the private hospital at 417 Virginia street last evening at the age of 52 years. She was a member of the United Brethern church in Iowa and is survived by her husband, Cyrus H. Schrimscher; three sons, Roy, Lloyd and Leonard, all of Ten Mile district; five brothers, two sisters and one granddaughter. Two of the brothers, Charles Miller and George Miller, and one sister, Mrs. George Creasy live in Bellingham and the granddaughter, Miss Bertha Schrimscher, lives at the family home. The funeral will be held tomorrow at 2 p. m. at Harry O. Bingham's parlors, with Harry Maxwell, of the Bible Students' association officiating. Interment will occur in Ten Mile cemetery.
(From The Bellingham Herald, March 29, 1920) Submitted by site coordinator.

SCHRODER, Henry C. (d. 1914)

Henry Charles Schroder was born in Hettrison, Hanover, Germany of April 22 1835 and died Nov. 12, 1914, at the home of his daughter Mrs. F. L. Whipple. He came to America with his parents at the age of eight and at the age of twelve they moved to Burlington, Iowa where he made his home until Jan. 4, 1860 when he was married at Ft. Madison to Sarah E. Best of Montrose, Iowa. They made their home in Ft. Madison until 1862 when they moved to Montrose. In 1887 they went to Burlington where they lived until March, 1894 when they went to Birmingham, Iowa, and in 1903 they went to Keosanqua, Iowa; in November, 1904 to Bonaparte Iowa; and in March 1911 they came to Washington. They came to Lynden in November, 1911, where they have made their home with their daughter.

To this union was born five children, Justin, passed away at the age of five years. There remains to mourn his loss, his wife and four children, Mrs. Anna Ferguson of Sacramento, Cal., Mrs. Jennie Whipple, Clarence M. and Harry L. Schroeder of Lynden and three grandchildren. Mr. Schroder was a mate on the Mississippi River for thirty years. He was a good honest man, kind to his neighbors and made many friends wherever he was known. The funeral was conducted from the home on Saturday, afternoon at two o'clock by Rev. Ashby of the M. E. Church. Interment was in the Lynden Cemetery.
(From The Lynden Tribune, November 19, 1914)

SCHROETER, Augusta (d. 1926)

Mrs. Augusta Schroeter quietly passed away, after being ill only a few hours, last Thursday morning at her home in Kendall. She was born in Pomeranian, Germany in 1860, and was married there to Mr. Emil Schoeter. In 1890 they came to Wisconsin, where they resided for one year and then came to Bellingham, where they made their home for fourteen years. They came to Kendall in 1905, where they have since resided. The cause of her death was a stroke of apoplexy. The doctor was summoned at once but she passed away soon after he arrived. She is survived by her husband, Emil Schroeter; two sisters, Mrs. Carl Lange of Kendall and a sister in the Eastern states; two brothers, Carl Geskie of Bellingham and Fred Geskie of Goshen; together with her mother, Mrs. Geskie, who is 96 years old. She also leaves many nieces and nephews, and a host of friends to mourn her loss. She took an active part in church and community work and was universally loved by all.
(From The Deming Prospector, October 8, 1926) Submitted by site coordinator.

SCHUETTE, John H. (d. 1930)

John Henry Schuette, aged 81 years, beloved father of Henry W. Schuette, city; Walter Lester, Great Falls, Mont.; Arthur S. and Mrs. G. Anderson, Spokane; Mrs. A. Falkner and Mrs. L. D. Littler, Seattle, passed away at the home of his son, Henry W. Schuette, 1603 King street, Sunday morning, August 17, after an illness of one year's duration. Mr. Schuette at the time of his death had only been in the city one day, coming here from Seattle to make his home with his son. He was a member of the Knox Presbyterian church, Spokane, and was a Civil War veteran, having served with the Confederate army artillery corps, enlisting at Savannah, Georgia. The body rests at the Harlow-Hollingsworth Funeral Home and will be forwarded on the evening train to Spokane, where funeral services will be held at the Hazen-Jaeger Funeral Parlors and interment (to) take place in the family plot. Seven grandchildren also survive.
(From The Bellingham Herald, August 18, 1930) Submitted by site coordinator.

SCHUMACHER, Charles (d. 1919)

Local Army Officer Crashes to Earth at Alabama Camp and Dies Within a Short Time
While riding as a passenger in an airplane at the army aviation camp at Montgomery, Ala., yesterday with Lieutenant Barnett, pilot, Lieutenant Charles Schumacher, of Ottumwa, Iowa, son of Mr. and Mrs. E. C. Schumacher, 2223 Williams street, met almost instant death as the machine slipped sidewise in making a right angle and dropped 100 feet. Barnett was only slightly injured. No details of the tragedy have been received by the parents, though they have received from the widow brief message telling of his injury and death. The message announcing his injury and the one telling of his death were only two hours apart. The Associated Press dispatch to The Herald gave only a short account of the accident. At the time of the accident Lieutenant Schumacher was acting commander of the aviation camp in the absence of the commanding officer. He had been at Montgomery since a year ago last July as engineer officer at aviation repair depot No. 3. He was a Whatcom high school graduate, class of 1906, which he represented as valedictorian and of Ames College, Iowa, where he received his diploma in 1912 four years after entering there. Following graduation at the college he spent some time in Illinois and then located at Ottumwa, where he became assistant engineer for the Morrow Packing company. At Ottumwa he enlisted in the aviation service soon after the United States entered the war. He served in various Oklahoma aviation camps and then was sent to Montgomery.

The survivors are the widow and two children, the parents, two sisters, Miss Margaret Schumacher and Mrs. J. A. Griffin, of Seattle, an uncle and aunt in Iowa, two aunts in Illinois, and an uncle in New Mexico. A brother, Harold, who also was prominent in high school circles was killed about five years ago when an automobile collided with the motorcycle he was riding on South Elk street. Lieutenant Schumacher was a Mason and member of the First Presbyterian Church of this city. He was 31 years of age and up to eleven years ago had lived in Bellingham. Funeral arrangements will not be made until the wishes of the widow have been learned, but the body will be shipped to Bellingham for burial. It is presumed that the widow and children will accompany it as well. Mrs. Schumacher junior is a sister of Frank Vincent, head of the manual training department of the Whatcom high school. The father is the school mechanic of Bellingham School District No. 201.
(From The Bellingham Herald, December 30, 1919) Submitted by Fred Griffin

SCHUMACHER, Edward C. (d. 1951)

E. C. SCHUMACHER, Former Fairhaven Teacher, Summoned Edward C. Schumacher, 89, passed away in a local rest home Sunday, having resided in this community for the past 48 years. He had retired in 1934 from the Bellingham public school system, having taught manual training and mechanics at Fairhaven high school. Mr. Schumacher was a member of Whatcom lodge No. 151, F. & A. M., an honorary life member of the Pierre C. Cornwall lodge, No. 289. Two daughters survive, Mrs. Margaret Terpenning, here, and Mrs. Edna French, Bremerton. There are four grandchildren and seven great-grandchildren. The remains rest at Harlow-Hollingsworth funeral home, where services will be conducted by the Rev. James Martyn Wilson and officers of the Masonic lodge on Wednesday at 1:30 p. m. Final resting place, Bay View mausoleum.
(From The Bellingham Herald, June 4, 1951) Submitted by Fred Griffin

SCHUMACHER, Harold (d. 1915)

Seriously injured in Collision Tuesday, Young Athlete Dies at St. Joseph's Hospital. Funeral services for Harold M. Schumacher, who died yesterday as the result of a vehicle accident last Tuesday evening, will not be held until the arrival of the dead lad's brother, Charles, from Kankakee, Ill., who is now enroute to Bellingham. The arrangements for the funeral will be made by H. O. Bingham.

Mr. Schumacher was the son of Mr. and Mrs. E. C. Schumacher, 1900 Lake Street, and was well known n the Northwest as a promising university athlete. He has been a resident of Bellingham since 1903. He died at St. Joseph's Hospital yesterday morning at about 4 o'clock. The accident in which he received the injuries which resulted in his death occurred Tuesday evening at the junction of Elk street and the Boulevard when a motorcycle he was driving met in collision with an automobile under the control of T. W. Tabor. Schumacher was thrown beneath the automobile wheels and both his legs were broken and he received a severe shock. When the collision occurred Schumacher was driving his machine from the south side and Tabor was nearing the foot of the Elk street hill, which he was about to ascend. Schumacher evidently thought he would turn onto the Boulevard and kept running his motorcycle with that idea in view until it was too late for him to dodge the automobile when he saw he was mistaken. As late as Friday hope was entertained for Schumacher's recovery but during the night he began to sink. According to Elmer L. Cave, city superintendent of schools, Schumacher, whose father is a mechanic in the Bellingham schools, was a brilliant student and was generally known as a fine athlete. No one, Mr. Cave ventures, was better liked here than this young man who was always willing to take a turn in student affairs whether in the local high school or at the state university. Schumacher was about to return to his studies at the University, where he was one of its most prominent students.

Mr. Schumacher, who was 21 years old, is survived by his parents, one brother, Charles, and two sisters, Margaret C. and Edna C. He was born December 31, 1893 at Bradley, Ill. He came to Bellingham in 1903. Seven years later he graduated from the Whatcom high school and for three years has been attending the University of Washington. Two years ago he was a member of the university crew which participated in the intercollegiate races ????? on the Hudson river. While at the University, he was a member of the ?????? rowing crew and was on the Varsity crew in his sophomore year and participated in the Poughkeepsie regatta in Jun 1914. He was a member of the Sigma Alpha Epsilon fraternity and of the Tau Beta Pi national honorary engineering fraternity. In this city he was a member of the First Presbyterian church and of the Y. M. C. A.
(From The Bellingham American Reveille, September 12, 1915) Submitted by Fred Griffin

SCHUMACHER, Jessie E. (d. 1936)

Mrs. Jessie Elizabeth Schumacher, wife of Edward C. Schumacher, for many years manual training teacher at the Fairhaven high school, died at her home, 2223 Williams street, Sunday, aged 69 years. Mrs. Schumacher had lived here thirty-three years and was a member of the First Presbyterian church, the Royal Neighbors and the Gold Star Mothers. Relatives aside from the husband are two daughters, Mrs. Edna Griffin, Plainfield, N. J. and Mrs. Harold Terpenning, Bellingham, four grandchildren, three sisters, Mrs O. P. Abbey, Zearing, Iowa, Mrs. D. S. Cossairt and Mrs. Charles Weiser, Potomac, Illinois and one brother, Arthur Terpening, Potomac, Illinois.Funeral rites will be conducted at the Harlow-Hollingsworth funeral home, Wednesday, at ??:30 a.m. .....
(From the Bellingham Herald, September 14, 1936) Submitted by Fred Griffin

SCHUPP, Henry (d. 1936)

Henry Schupp, one of Bellingham's most civic-minded citizens, whom many regarded as an ideal hotel host, died early Monday morning at his home, 6 Garden Terrace. He had been in ill health several years, suffering from heart disease. Recently he had been taking short walks almost daily and he was seen by friends Sunday strolling along High street. For many years, and until his retirement a few years ago from active participation in the hotel business. Mr. Schupp was one of Washington's most widely known and popular hotel men. He was 67 years of age and had lived at Bellingham thirty-four years. His business and other affiliations were numerous and probably no one has been more active in behalf of Bellingham than Mr. Schupp. He was a charter member of the Rotary club and at his death held membership in Elks lodge No. 194 and the Chamber of Commerce.

Mr. Schupp is survived by his widow, Mrs. Katherine Schupp; two daughters, Katherine McIntee, Waldport, Oregon, and Margaret K. Rogers, Bellingham; one son, Henry E. Schupp; one half-sister, Mrs. Julius Kappel, and a cousin, Henry Meissner, all of Bellingham. Funeral announcements will be made by the Harlow-Hollingsworth funeral home. A man who always had a smile, and at heart a community booster, Mr. Schupp's interests, business and social, were diversified. He for years managed the Hotel Leopold and was one of the moving spirits behind the erection of the $500,000 New Leopold, which was opened in November, 1929. He was one of the most active members of the Chamber of Commerce. In 1924 he headed the Tulip Festival association. He represented the Chamber as director of the Puget Sounders, which he was instrumental, with others, in organizing. Among other positions he held was director of the Pacific Highway association; director of the Mount Baker Development company, which built the Mount Baker lodge, and he was president of the Puget Sound Hotels. At his death he held part interest in the Henry hotel. When the New Hotel Leopold was opened, Mr. Schupp was managing director of the Leopold and Henry. He was familiar with the hotel business long before he came to Bellingham. His introduction to it came when he was a boy, when his father, Carl Frederick Schupp, operated the Green Tree Tavern at Lollar, Germany, where Mr. Schupp was born in November, 1868.

Henry Schupp left Germany for American when 14 years of age. For a time he lived in Cincinnati, Ohio, where he attended night school. Later he removed to Montana, but before he did so he married on November 22, 1888, Katherine Sengenberger. In 1890 Mr. Schupp located at Basin, Montana, a silver mining camp, where life was rough and free and guns were conspicuous. At Basin, Mr. Schupp and his friend, Leopold Schmidt, who died many years ago, established the Merchants hotel. It was made of logs and had two stories. The partners operated a lodging house for overflows. While Mr. Schupp was at Basin, he and Mr. Schmidt, then living in Butte, formed a partnership to build a waterworks system at Basin.

After ten years at Basin, Schupp came to Puget Sound. Settling at Olympia, he became secretary-treasurer of the Olympia Brewing company. Nine years later he became secretary-treasurer of the Byron hotel in Bellingham. Four years later the Leopold was opened and he became its manager. Mr. Schupp's hotel interests gradually expanded until, when the New Leopold was opened, with one of the biggest banquets Bellingham has ever known, he was general manager of a chain of hotels that operated in five cities. He also was president of the New Washington Hotel company, Seattle. Mr. Schupp's creed, as a hotel man, was: "Hail, guest! If friend, we welcome thee. If stranger, same no longer be. If foe, our love shall conquer thee." Neatly framed, this creed hung in Mr. Schupp's office throughout his hotel career in Bellingham.
(From The Bellingham Herald, September 28, 1936) Submitted by site coordinator.

SCHUTT, Francis G. (d. 1903)

Francis G. Schutt, a well-known resident of Fairhaven, died Sunday at his residence after a long illness caused by a cancer of the stomach. Deceased was 52 years old and leaves a wife and one daughter, Miss Kate Schutt, teacher in the Whatcom high school. Funeral services will be held today at 2 p. m. at the residence on 2208 Henry street, and the order of Ben Hur will conduct the services at the grave. Rev. J. W. Frescoln, of the First Methodist church will officiate. Interment will be made at Bay View cemetery.
(From The Daily Reveille, December 8, 1903) Submitted by site coordinator.

SCHUYLEMAN, Meitje B. (d. 1907)

Saturday morning last, August 10, at 8 Mrs. Mietje Berkenvelden Schuyleman passed away to her reward after two years of great suffering. Two years ago she was taken sick with cancer of the stomach. For a long time past she has been helpless suffering intensely all of the time. During her sickness she was nursed carefully and faithfully by her daughter, Mrs. Mary Oldemeyer, at whose home she lived. During her suffering the great number of loving friends visited her constantly, cheering her as they could and taking her min from her suffering and in turn drawn in admiration for Mrs. Schuyleman's faith in the happiness which awaited her in the world hereafter to which God take millions, but from which none may return to tell the secret of that life. Her faith was one that never faltered; even in the most intense suffering it was uppermost and shown by the singing of the sacred songs which were ever most dear to her.

Mietje Berkenvelden Schuyleman was born in Ensgedel, Overysel, Netherlands, 72 years ago, having passed her 72 birthday one month before her death. In the old country, she married Goduward Schuyleman and they came to this country in the fall of 1885, moving to Nebraska where they lived until six years ago when they moved to Lynden. Here Mr. Schuyleman died six months after coming. Six children survive, Mrs. Benj. Oldemeyer, Mrs. Maurice Vander Griend, Jr., Mrs. Leonard Zweegman and Peter Schuyleman of Lynden and Dr. George Schuyleman of Glenville, Neb. and John Schuyleman of Portland, Or. The funeral was held on Monday, the 12. Services were held from the home of Benj. Oldemeyer at 12:30 from the Christian Reformed church at 3 and at the cemetery at 4:30. Rev. P. J. Hoekenga officiating. The remains were placed by the side of her husband in the Lynden cemetery, where will be inscribed in keeping with her request, Blessed are they that die in the Lord." A long procession of sympathetic and loving friends followed the remains to the last resting place and many were the beautiful tributes. All of the children were present excepting Dr. Schuyleman.
(From The Lynden Sun=Pilot, August 15, 1907) Submitted by site coordinator.

SCHUYLER, Oliver R. (d. 1904)

Oliver R. Schuyler was born November 4, 1844 in Lawrence, Van Buren Co., Mich. He died at his home in this city June 22, after an illness of ten days. Pneumonia and heart trouble caused his death. Mr. Schuyler was married to Nettie Gilbert, a native of Ontario Co., N. Y., July 4, 1871. They came to Lynden about six years ago from the state of Michigan. He was a member of the Masonic fraternity and also a member of the Seven Day Adventist Church, having been baptized Sept. 13, 1903. Five children and the widow survive him. The children all live in this county and they are: Gilbert R., Charles H., Cleveland R., Maude and Mrs. Clara Pierce. Three brothers and two sisters live in the state of Michigan. The funeral was held from the home Thursday afternoon, the service being conducted by Elder Sharp of Bellingham. Mr. Schuyler was a man of good principles and moral character. He was prominent in all movements for the good of the people. His death is mourned by many and his loss will be felt by the community as well as by the family.
(From The Pacific Pilot, June 30, 1904) Submitted by site coordinator.

SCHWARZE, Henry (d. 1934)

VETERAN IS CALLED Henry Schwarze, Civil war veteran and a member of J. B. Steedman post No. 24, G. A. R., died Thursday at his home, 2500 Keesling street. He was 92 years of age, had resided in Bellingham forty-four years and had been ill a long time. Funeral services will be held at the Bingham-Dahlquist funeral home Saturday at 2 p. m. Rev. C. Zimmerman will officiate. Burial will occur in Bayview cemetery. Mr. Schwarze is survived by three daughters, Mrs. Fred Daesner and Mrs. Ruth Cameron, Bellingham, and Mrs. Andreus Bard, Kansas City, Mo.; five sons, George, Carl, Edward and Otto, Bellingham, and Albert, of Tumwater, Wash.; one sister, Mrs. Lovisa Kaune, Freeport, Illinois; eleven grandchildren and two great-grandchildren.
(From The Bellingham Herald, December 6, 1934) Submitted by site coordinator

SCHWARZE, Minnie (d. 1926)

Mrs. Minnie Schwarze, 81 a member of St. John's Lutheran church and a resident of Bellingham thirty-six years, died Tuesday evening at her home, 2500 Keesling street, after three years' illness. Funeral services will be held Thursday at 2:45 p. m. at the Harlow mortuary, with the Rev. H. Mau officiating. Interment will follow in Bay View cemetery. Mrs. Schwarze is survived by her husband, Henry Schwarze; three daughters, Mrs. Andreas Bard, Kansas City, Mo.; Mrs. Fred Daesener and Mrs. Ralph Cameron of this city; five sons, George, Carl, Edwin and Otto of Bellingham and Albert of Tumwater; one brother, William Kanne, Davis, Ill.; two sisters, Mrs. William Meinert, Davis, Ill., and Mrs. F. Wheat of Freeport, Ill., and eight grandchildren.
(From The Bellingham Herald, September 15, 1926) Submitted by site coordinator.

SCHWINDERMAN, George (d. 1927)

George Schwinderman Succumbs to Illness Two Years in Length.
George Schwinderman, 69, who had lived here for four years, died Wednesday afternoon at his home, 308 Carolina street, after an illness of two years. He was a member of the Church of the Assumption and of the Modern Woodmen of American. The surviving relatives are the widow, Ellen Schwinderman; one daughter, Mrs. Ruth Johnson, San Francisco; one son, George, of Declo, Idaho; one sister, Mrs. J. T. Smith, Bellingham, and six grandchildren. Funeral services will be held Friday at 8:15 a.m. at the Church of the Assumption, with the Rev. James F. Barrett officiating. O. R. Hollingsworth will have charge of the interment in Bay View Cemetery.
(From The Bellingham Herald, March 17, 1927) Copied by Merrily Lawson.

SCOFIELD, James (d. 1904)

James Scofield died at his home here Friday afternoon of kidney trouble. He had been ailing for a number of weeks but was confined to the bed only a week. The funeral was held from the home Sunday afternoon, the Rev. Mrs. Storrey conducting the services. Mr. Scofield was born in Goshen, Orange Co., N. Y., Feb. 11, 1830. He was married to Miss Louise Skinner July 4, 1865. They lived in New York, Nebraska and California, coming to Lynden about sixteen years ago. This place has been their home ever since. Two children were born to them, Mrs. E. D. Harris of Tacoma and Mrs. L. Assam of this city, both of whom were present at the funeral. The widow also survives him. The bereaved ones are extended much sympathy in their affliction.
(From The Pacific Pilot, April 28, 1904) Submitted by site coordinator.

SCOFIELD, Lester (d. 1945)

Lester Scofield, age 66 years, passed away at a local hospital Sunday, May 20. Mr. Scofield was a logger and had resided in this vicinity the past forty-three years, his home being at Deming. Surviving relatives are two daughters, Mrs. Luella Altman, Bellingham, and Mrs. Essie Kenney, Seattle; one son, Ernest M. Scofield, U. S. Marines, his father, John Henry, in Iowa; three brothers, Ben C., Hartford, Wash., Walter at Goldendale, Wash., and Wolla in Iowa; two sisters, Mrs. Lucy Hoyer, White Salmon, and Mrs. Bertha Ferguson in Nebraska; seven grandchildren and one great-grandchild. The remains are at the funeral home of Harlow-Hollingsworth where services will be conducted by the Rev. Ray S. Wagoner, Tuesday, May 22, at 3:30 p.m. Cremation.
(From The Bellingham Herald, May 21, 1945) Relative Debbie deHoog

SCOFIELD, Pearl (d. 1935)

Mrs. Pearl Scofield Called at Hospital
Mrs. Pearl Scofield, 29, died Saturday night at a local hospital after a brief illness. Mrs. Scofield, who resided at 2637 Woburn street, had been a resident of Bellingham and vicinity her entire lifetime. She was a member of the Nazerene church of Van Zandt. Mrs. Scofield is survived by her husband, Marrield Scofield; one daughter Armitta Ethel Scofield; one son, Joseph Merrield Scofield, all city; father, J. E. Hamilton, Deming; five brothers, Bert Hamilton, Lawrence; Alexander Hamilton, Deming; Oliver Hamilton and Earl Hamilton, Forks, and Zedrick Hamilton, Deming; four sisters, Mrs. Goldie Kenney, Kulshan; Mrs. Florence Wood and Mrs. May Potter, both of Van Zandt, and Mrs. Evelyn Garvin, Deming, and several nieces and nephews. Funeral announcements will be made by the Homer Mark mortuary.
(From The Bellingham Herald, February 11, 1935) Submitted by Debbie deHoog

SCOTT, Adabel (d. 1909)

Mrs. Adabel Scott, wife of Thomas Scott, died suddenly at the home in Lynden Friday as a result of blood poisoning. The funeral was held Sunday afternoon at the Methodist church Rev. Wilder officiating. Interment was in the Lynden cemetery. Mrs. Scott was 40-years of age, and leaves 11 children besides her husband and friends to mourn her. Some of the older children live in Seattle but they all got here for the funeral. The youngest child is only a babe of seven months.
(From The Lynden Tribune, March 18, 1909) Submitted by site coordinator)

SCOTT, Henry (d. 1904)

Henry Scott died in Blaine on Oct. 9, of consumption, aged 46 years. He was born in Illinois, February 2, 1857. In 1889 he married Miss Effie Knowles of Macupin, Illinois. He came to Blaine in search of health, February 24, 1903, his wife, two little sons, mother, two brothers, three sisters and his aunt survive him. After seven years of suffering, he passed away rejoicing in the hope of a glorious immortality. Miss Addie Roper [and] Mrs. Will Joscelyn, cousins, wee with him when he died. Fifteen minutes before his death, he called his wife and two little sons, tenderly he embraced them and gave them his parting advice. The he said "tell every one good-bye for me and tell them to meet me in glory, Hallelujah. I am in glory now, Hallelujah, amen." Those whom looked upon the holy calm of his face will not soon forget the sight. Kind friends gathered at the home, bringing many beautiful flowers. The funeral service was conducted by Rev. Sheafe of the M. E. Church, assisted by Rev. Washburn and Rev. Gregory. ...
(From The Blaine Journal, October 14, 1904) Submitted by site coordinator.

SCOTT, Isaac M. (d. 1929)

I. M. Scott, Pioneer And Old Soldier, Passes On
    Ending a long period of suffering, I. M. Scott, Blaine pioneer and veteran soldier and politician, passed to the Great Beyond at 7:30 o'clock last Friday evening. Death came as a relief, for he had suffered many months.
    Isaac M. Scott was one of the very earliest pioneers of the Blaine section. It was in 1883 that he settled with Mrs. Scott on the place now owned by Noble McClurg some 2 1/2 miles east of Blaine. They followed Mr. and Mrs. Thos. Savings here from Tacoma, the latter settling near by. For many years they resided on the place, later coming to Blaine to live. Here for more than a quarter of a century Mr. Scott was perhaps the most prominent Republican politician, but he never aspired to office himself.
    Deceased was born at Leavenworth, Indiana, Dec. 5, 1846. He was the youngest of nineteen children and was the last survivor of the family. He enlisted in the Union army in the Civil war, was wounded during the siege of Vicksburg and after recovering remained in the service. He was married to Miss Mary A. Lightfoot, a native of England, 50 years ago this year. Mrs. Scott still survives, also one adopted son, Oscar Farnum, of Haynie.
    Deceased was of a kindly disposition and had a wide circle of friends throughout the county, many of whom he had befriended in years past. Funeral services were held Sunday afternoon at 3 o'clock in the Episcopal church with Canon E. B. Smith of Bellingham officiating. The choir sang "Rock of Ages" and "America" and the services were attended by members of Peace Arch Post No. 86 in a body. The casket was draped with the American flag and was carried by Grant Newton, Walter Cowderoy, Arthur Wilder, August Levien and Volney Newell, all of Blaine, and Clarence Jackman of Bellingham. Interment was made in the Blaine cemetery under the direction of Purdy & Sons of Blaine. Many friends from over the county were present at the funeral and the floral tributes were abundant and beautiful.
(From The Blaine Journal-Press, June 20, 1929) Submitted by site coordinator.

SCOTT, James C. (d. 1921)

James Calvin Scott, aged 81 years, passed away at a local hospital October 5, after an illness of several weeks. Mr. Scott had been a resident of Bellingham for the past thirty-two years, and leaves a large circle of friends who will mourn his loss. He was a member of the First Congregational church, the Modern Woodmen of America, being one of its oldest members. Also a member of C. R. Apperson post No. 59, Grand Army of the Republic. Mr. Scott served the full four years in the Civil war, a member of Company G, Fifth Iowa Cavalry. Those who survive are Mrs. Scott, 1406 I street, this city; one daughter, Mrs. Mildred Fuller, of Seattle. The remains are being cared for at the service parlors of Harry O. Bingham, 120-122 Prospect street. Funeral announcements will be made later.
(From The Bellingham Herald, October 6, 1921) Submitted by site coordinator.

SCOTT, Josiah (d. 1918)

Funeral services were held Wednesday afternoon for the late Josiah Scott, who passed away Tuesday morning at the age of 74 years and 10 months. Rev. W. O. Benadom conducted the services in the presence of many friends. Pall-bearers were J. K. Rinehart, L. B. Jones, C. F. Worthen, H. Wampler, Ben Shoemaker, and W. I. Baker. Besides his widow, he is survived by his widow, three sons, James C., George E. and Josiah A. He was a member of the G. A. R. and resided in Lynden nearly seven years.
(From The Lynden Tribune, January 10, 1918) Submitted by site coordinator.

SCOTT-HAMILTON, Justin W. (d. 2001)

Justin Wayne Scott-Hamilton passed away November 14, 2001. He was born February 6, 1980, in Bellingham to Rick Hamilton and Marcy Scott Hamilton Creviston. He is survived by his father, Rick and stepmother Marsha; his mother Marcy; grandparents, Gordon an Mavis Scott and Sheila and Lloyd Wilson; great-grandmothers, Lucy Hamilton and Nora Ellis; brother Ryan and fiance Rachael; nephew Daniel Jeffrey; step-brothers, Karl Nichols and Robert Foster; and many many aunts, uncles and cousins. His great grandfathers Val Ellis and Don Hamilton Sr., and His grandfather David Hamilton preceded him in death. Justin enjoyed snowboarding, skateboarding, BMX riding and driving his car. A Memorial Service will be held 2:00 PM, Tuesday, November 20, 2001, at the Deming Log Show Hall. Memorials may be made to the Acme Fire Department #16. The arrangements and services are by Jerns Funeral Chapel and Crematorium, Bellingham.
Submitted by Debbie deHoog

SCOVILL, Henry H. (d. 1913)

The funeral of Henry Scovill who died at his home in this city on Wednesday, April 9, was held from the Methodist church last Friday, Rev. Herbert Jones conducting the ceremonies. Mr. Scovill was born at Harrington, New York, May 5, 1832. At an early age he moved with his parents to Ohio, then to Michigan and later to Wisconsin. In 1887 he came to Washington and located in Whatcom County on a homestead near Lynden, and resided here until the time of his death. When Lincoln's call for men was issued, Mr. Scovill enlisted in Company G. First Wisconsin Cavalry, and he remained in service throughout the war. He was a member of the local G. A. R., under whose auspices the funeral was held, interment taking place in Lynden cemetery. The following comrades of Lynch Post, No. 42, acted as pallbearers: Messrs. Rinehart, Wampler, Price, Jones, Baker and Shoemaker.

Mr. Scovill is survived by six children, of whom George and Edward are residents of Lynden, the others being Mrs. G. W. Balcom and Mrs. Bertha Allen, of Minneapolis, Semon Scovill, residing at Turtle Lake, Wisconsin, William H. Scovill, of Fort Francis, Ontario, and two sisters, Mrs. Frank Wood, of Eugene, Oregon, and Mrs. Helen Sparling, who came to Lynden recently to live with Mr. Scovill. Mrs. J. C. Anderson and Mrs. Douglas Ogle, of this city were step-daughters of Mr. Scovill. The deceased was well known throughout the county, and was highly respected for his sterling qualities.
(From The Lynden Tribune, April 17, 1913) Submitted by site coordinator.

SCRIMGER, John D. (d. 1920)

A large crowd of friends gathered Wednesday afternoon at the family residence to attend funeral services for the late John D. Scrimger, who passed away Tuesday at the age of 73 years and eighteen days. The Rev. J. E. Kanarr of Bellingham, conducted the services, and interment was in the Lynden cemetery. Mr. Scrimger was born in Frume, Somersetshire, England April 2, 1847. He came to America as a child and spent the last seventeen years of his life in Whatcom County. He leaves to mourn his loss his widow, Sara F. Scrimger, two daughters, Evelyn of Lynden and Mrs. A. J. Weeks of Burma, and three grandchildren, Norma, Eleanor and George Weeks, besides a host of friends who deeply mourn his loss.
(From The Lynden Tribune, April 22, 1920) Submitted by site coordinator.

SCRIMSHER, Charles G. (d. 1901)

C. G. Scrimsher of Ten Mile, one of the most widely known pioneers of Whatcom county, died suddenly on Sunday morning Feb. 24, in the home of Mr. and Mrs. E. Collins on the corner of D and Fourteenth streets in this city. Mr. Scrimsher had been a sufferer from paralysis for over a year past and it is thought that his death was the result of a paralytic stroke. A widow and ten children, all adults and residents of Whatcom county are left to mourn. The remains were conveyed to the old home in Ten Mile yesterday and funeral services were held there at 1:30 o'clock this afternoon, the remains being laid to rest in the Ten Mile cemetery. Mr. Scrimsher came here in 1880, prior to which he had been a resident of Illinois and Kansas. In 1881 he settled with his family on the Ten Mile homestead which has been developed into one of the best tilled and most valuable farms in the county. Mr. Scrimsher was a good neighbor and a highly respected and patriotic citizen. He was born in Illinois on July 27, 1843. --Whatcom Blade.
(Reprinted in The Blaine Journal, February 1, 1901) Submitted by site coordinator.

Back to Obituary Index

Back to Whatcom GenWeb Home Page