The Daily Reveille
Bellingham, WA

Extractions by Susan Nahas
Wednesday, January 3, 1905:

Fred LEWIS enjoys the distinction of being the first man in the city to start his new year off with a sentence of sixteen days in the city jail for vagrancy. He was arrested Sunday by Officer SCOTT of the south-side patrol and when given his sentence by Police Judge WILLIAMS yesterday, he murmured "that's too bad." His utterance was true, if his stories are correct, regarding immense property holdings he has in Anacortes, but they are doubted for when Fred occupied a cell in the jail of the latter city he told the same tales about Bellingham holdings.

Marriage licenses were yesterday issued to Welgan OLESON and Miss Mary Mellina HOWARD, both of Bellingham, to F. M. THOMPSON of Custer, and Miss Belle McCLELLAND, of Lynden, and to David S. MILLER and Josephine PETERSON, both of Blaine.

Building Permits Issued.
The new year was well begun yesterday by the issuance of building permits in the sum of $2100 as follows:
S. G. BANGS for a $300 residence at 2317 Franklin street;
STOCKLEIN Bros. for a $300 foundation to their building at 133 Holly street;
E. B. FOLLET for a $300 residence at 2315 Franklin street;
Chas. SILBERG for a $1200 residence at 1457 Grant street.

A fitting illustration of the union of the old year and the new occurred yesterday in Judge NETERER's office he joined in holy bonds of matrimony, D. S. MILLER aged 75 and Miss Josephine PETERSON aged 20 years. The happy couple live in Blaine. F. M. THOMPSON of Custer and Miss Belle McCLELLAND, of Lynden, were also married yesterday in the superior court, Judge NETERER officiating.

Mrs. C. S. RICE Dead.
Mrs. C. S. RICE, who has been ill for some time and lately underwent two operations at St. Joseph's hospital died on Sunday morning at 4 o'clock. Mrs. RICE was the daughter of Mrs. E. L. ANDREWS, of this city, and the wife of C. S. RICE, of the Puget Sound American advertising staff. She had lived in this city for a number of years and was well known and loved by all. Besides innumerable friends she leaves a husband and little daughter, a mother and two sisters, Mrs. A. B. FAIRHURST and Mrs. Archibald CHANDLER. The funeral services will be held from the residence of Mr. and Mrs. A. B. FAIRHURST, at 2107 B street today at 2:30 p.m., the Rev. MACKAY officiating. Interment will be made in Bay View cemetery.

January 15, 1905:

Thomas B. SWEARINGEN, aged 73 years, died at the residence of his daughter, Mrs. A. C. SENKER, of Everett, Thursday evening, at nine o'clock. Deceased was a veteran of the civil war and formerly residing in this city at 1042 Elk street, making his home with his daughter who recently moved to Everett, where Mr. SENKER is engaged in business. A wife and nine grown children survive the deceased. The body will arrive on the Great Northern at noon today accompanied by members of the family. The funeral will occur from the parlors of W. H. MOCK & Sons this afternoon at 2 o'clock, under the auspices of the G. A. R. Dr. W. A. MACKEY will deliver the funeral address after which the body will be conveyed to Bay View cemetery. An invitation is extended to friends of the family to attend the funeral.

Patrick LYNCH, an Irishman by birth, a hobo by inclination, and a vendor of needles and pins by trade, was yesterday arrested by Captain of Police PARBERRY, on a charge of peddling without a license. Patrick was taken before Police Judge WILLIAMS and given a fine of $50. Trade has been dull for the past few days and the vendor was unable to produce the necessary capital so he was consigned to the city wood pile.

George SWILOOS, the Indian who has for the past few days been occupying a cell in the city jail, was released yesterday on the payment of his fine. SWILOOS was arrested for drunkenness.

Earl T. COLE Dead.
Earl T. COLE, aged 35 years, died at Wenatchee, Washington, Jan. 8 of cerebral trouble. Deceased is a son of Mr. and Mrs. S. G. COLE, of this city, living in Eureka addition. The body arrived yesterday afternoon over the Great Northern, accompanied by the father. Mr. COLE had been living on his homestead and was taken suddenly ill and died after two days' sickness. Parents and friends were notified and the deceased's father proceeded without delay to Wenatchee. The body was received by W. H. MOCK & Sons and the funeral arrangements will be announced later.

George BURKE and Thomas FUGDEN were yesterday fined $25 and costs each, in Police Judge WILLIAMS' court for vagrancy. They were sent to aid the force now at work on the wood pile where an endeavor will be made to instill in them a greater love for labor.

January 17, 1905:

Death of a Civil War Veteran.
John SCHMUTZ, a native of Switzerland, died at 11 o'clock last night, age seventy-three years. He passed away at the home of his son, at the Forest lodging house, corner of Forest and Chestnut streets. Deceased was a veteran of the civil war. He came here from Cresswell, Oregon, and the body is being prepared for shipment to that place by W. H. MOCK & Sons, where interment will be made in the family burying lot. Frank J. SCHMUTZ, of Seattle, a son of deceased, has been notified of his father's death, and is expected to arrive here today.

Thomas B. SWEARINGEN Buried.
A large concourse of friends, neighbors and civil war veterans attended the funeral of Thomas B. SWEARINGEN, on Sunday afternoon. From W. H. MOCK & Sons' funeral parlors the body was in charge of the G. A. R. and the final rites were pronounced by Rev. W. A. MACKEY. The deceased was the father of Mrs. A. C. SENKER. Mr. and Mrs. SENKER came up from Everett, where Mr. SENKER is now located to attend the funeral, and Thomas B. SWEARINGEN, a son of the deceased, came from Pendleton, Or. Deceased was the father of nine children, all of whom are living. He was widely known and respected.

April 7, 1905:

The funeral of John T. CAMPBELL, the mail carrier who died at Everson, Wednesday, took place yesterday afternoon from the Presbyterian church at that place under the auspices of the Modern Woodmen of America. Rev. B. K. McELMON conducted the funeral services. Interment took place in the Hopewell cemetery.

April 9, 1905:

        The mangled remains of Will SELBY, of Deming, were picked up by members of the crew of the Clipper shingle mill at Clipper, near Deming, yesterday morning. The man had been run down by a Northern Pacific train the previous night. The sight that met the eyes of the discoverers was a sickening one. The unfortunate man had apparently been carried along under the wheels for a considerable distance, and the body was frightfully dismembered. Both arms were cut off, the legs were terribly lacerated, and the forehead was bruised and cut and the remains thrown thirty feet from the track.
Not Noticed By Train Crew.
        The train which struck the unfortunate man was the southbound on the Northern Pacific, which passed through Clipper about 9 o'clock Friday night. The train carried a number of box cars ahead of the engine, and it is believed that this prevented SELBY, who was walking homeward from Clipper, from noticing its approach until it was upon him. The road is considered dangerous in that vicinity, having sharp curves. The train crew, evidently, were not aware of the accident, and the body was left lying on the track all night, until discovered by the mill crew this morning.
        A telephone message was sent for Coroner THOMPSON, of Bellingham, but he was out of the city and beyond immediate reach, working on the case of young Otto BEYER, who accidentally shot himself at Birch Bay. In default of the regular coroner, Justice of the Peace A. J. CLODE, of Deming, was summoned and made an investigation of the facts of the case. Without holding an inquest, which he deemed unnecessary, Acting Coroner CLODE declared the case one of accidental death. SELBY had been working for some time at the Blue Front mill, near Clipper, and was well known in that vicinity. Friday he was seen drinking more or less; and while it is not known that he was intoxicated, it is thought probable that he was not alert as he would have been had his brain been absolutely clear.
        Will SELBY was about thirty-five years old. He was married and leaves a family residing in Deming, where he had lived since his arrival some years ago from Missouri, where the majority of his relatives are living. Just what arrangements have been made for the funeral has not yet been announced. The body was held yesterday at the Clipper mill, and the employes at the plant have taken charge of the arrangements for the funeral.

Elect New Janitor.
Charles CUDWORTH, who for many years has been janitor at the county court house, will in the near future be supplanted by John ZETTLER. The county commissioners have for some time had this change in view but it was postponed from time to time for different reasons until yesterday when the appointment was made. SLATER voting against the change and KEMPER and FRASER in favor of it.

Visitors From Aberdeen.
N. G. KAUFMAN, Sr., and S. G. KAUFMAN, both of Aberdeen, uncle and brother, respectively, of the members of the firm of KAUFMAN Bros., of this city, are here on a short business visit. Both express themselves as impressed with the generally improved appearance of Bellingham. The visitors have charge of the KAUFMAN store in Aberdeen and are interested in the local concern.

Licenses to Wed.
Licenses to wed were yesterday granted to William MUIRHEAD, of Seattle, and Miss Elizabeth McGreery CALDER of Vancouver, B. C., and to Arthur HOWARD of Portland and Mrs. Mary WALDBRIDGE of Chicago.

April 11, 1905:

Emmet CONNELLY, the 11-year-old son of P. E. CONNELLY, whose residence is at the corner of 12th and Taylor, south side, died at St. Joseph's hospital yesterday afternoon at 3:00 o'clock, of spinal meningitis. He leaves a father, mother and three brothers to mourn his loss. The body was placed in the care of A. R. MAULSBY and removed to the family home, where the funeral for which arrangements have not yet been made will be held.

April 29, 1905:

Death of Peter UNGMAN, a Logger
     Peter UNGMAN, a logger, was last night found dead in his bed in a lodging house over the U. & I. saloon. The cause of his death is not yet known, and no theory is advanced by Coroner THOMPSON, who was summoned when the body was discovered. UNGMAN was a cousin of Ole GLAD, the proprietor of the saloon, and roomed with him. GLAD returned from a lodge meeting late last night and on going to his room discovered the body stretched out on the bed.
     His first impression was, that UNGMAN had fallen asleep on the bed, and he tried to awake him that he might removed his clothes. To his surprise and horror he discovered that the man was dead. Coroner THOMPSON was sent for, and after an examination the body was removed to MAULSBY's undertaking parlors. An autopsy will be held today to discover the cause of death. UNGMAN had been suffering for years with stomach trouble, but he was not known to have any other ailment.
     Mr. GLAD states that his cousin had evidently returned to the room after getting a bucket of water and sat down on the bed to remove his shoes when he fell over dead. No sign of any pain or suffering was to be seen on his face. There was no evidence that any one had been in the room with him.
     Mr. GLAD does not think it possible that his cousin could have taken poison by mistake for medicine, or with the intention of relieving the pain he suffered, for UNGMAN was careful about such things.
     UNGMAN came to this country twenty years ago and for the past ten years had resided in this county, making his home when in the city with his cousin. For the past few months he had been employed at the MOODY camp, at Belfast. About a month ago he came to the city to receive medical treatment and did not return.
     UNGMAN was 47 years old. He has a father, two brothers and three sisters in his native town, Alfta, Sweden, besides a niece in Chicago. His mother is dead. For five years UNGMAN had been a member of the Fraternal Order of Eagles, entering the lodge soon after its organization. He was not married.

April 30, 1905:

After holding an autopsy over the remains of Peter UNGMAN, who was found dead in his room over the U. & I. saloon Friday night, Coroner THOMAS stated that death was caused by hemorrhage of the bowels, caused by an ulcer. The examination was made by the coroner with the assistance of Dr. BIRNEY, Dr. Jacob SMITH, Dr. REED, Dr. WEIR and Dr. SHUTE. UNGMAN had suffered for years from intestinal trouble. The funeral will be held under the auspices of the Fraternal Order of Eagles, of which UNGMAN was a member, from MAULSBY's mortuary chapel at 2:30 o'clock this afternoon, Rev. E. A. ERICKSON officiating. All Eagles are expected to attend.

     EVERSON, Wash., April 29. -- Burned to a crisp, what remained of the body of David BENJAMIN, an old man eighty years old, and blind, was tonight taken from the ashes on the ground where a short time before had stood the cottage occupied by the old man, his wife and son Fred, the latter two being absent at the time of the fire.
     When the fire was discovered, about 10:45, it had gained such headway that it was impossible for the volunteer firemen to get to the burning building, although it was known that the old man was within. When the body was picked up out of the ashes it could not be held together and was absolutely unrecognizable.
     The cottage, owned by the aged gentleman, stood near the B. B. & B. C. railroad depot, in the heart of town. The origin of the blaze is not known, but as there were no hot fires in the stove the opinion is advanced that the old man may have in some way upset a coal oil lamp or lighted a match for some purpose or other, from which the building caught fire.
     Mr. BENJAMIN had resided here for many years and was known and well thought of by nearly everyone residing in this vicinity. Aside from the two already mentioned he leaves a son, residing near here, and also a daughter, Mrs. LIBERTY, who resides in the country near this place.

May 9, 1905:

Funeral of Mrs. FLESHER
The funeral of Mrs. Nannie A. FLESHER, mother of Rev. J. W. FLESHER, who died last Friday, was held at the First M. E. church Sunday at 2 p.m. Rev. Spencer S. SULLIGER delivered the funeral discourse, and was assisted in the other services by Evangelist Charles B. ALLEN of Denver, also by Rev. M. C. COLE and Rev. Charles E. TODD. Prof. H. L. RICHARSON had charge of the music. Many beautiful floral tributes were placed upon the casket. A large number of the friends of Mrs. FLESHER accompanied the funeral party to Bay View cemetery, where interment was made under direction of W. H. MOCK & Sons.

T. R. MURRY, of Columbia Valley, died at his home, Friday, April 22. Consumption, from which the deceased had suffered for years, was the cause of death. Elder E. H. CARMAN officiated at the funeral and spoke on the significance of the rising from the dead. The funeral services were attended by a large number of friends of the deceased. Mr. MURRY was born in Missouri in 1861, coming to this country in 1902. He was a kind husband and father and leaves a wife and nine children to mourn his loss.

The funeral of Floyd L. DESNOYER, an account of whose tragic death in a shingle mill at Goshen appeared in The Reveille Sunday morning, was conducted at the Silver Lake schoolhouse yesterday afternoon at 2 o'clock. Miss Zella BRAND, a missionary of the Mennonite church, had charge of the services. Interment took place in the Ten Mile cemetery under the direction of W. H. MOCK & Sons.

Earnest CROWE and Frank WINEMILLER left last night for Portland. Both have been employed in the Byron hotel. Mr. CROWE will have charge of the bar in the new Hotel Oregon, soon to be opened by WRIGHT & DICKENSON in the Webfoot metropolis and Mr. WINEMILLER will be employed in the same hostelry.

At a special meeting of the school board last night Architect LEE was asked to prepare plans for the improvement of the Sehome school. The building is to be completely overhauled during vacation. A new heating plant will be installed, a part of the foundation rebuilt and numerous other changes made. The cost has not yet been estimated.

September 1, 1905:

Judge NETERER of the superior court was absent from the city yesterday, having gone to Lynden to attend the funeral of J. M. LOCKHEAD.

September 5, 1905:

Acme Items.
-School opens on the 4th with Prof. DILLINGBACK and Miss Maud JOHNSON as teachers. An attendance of 60 pupils is expected.
-Misses Ruby HULBERT, Ida ZOBRIST, Gertie ZOBRIST, Annie HODSON and Richard HUDSON, leave for school the coming week. Two go to Seattle High school, one to Nooksack High school, one to Bellingham Normal and one to Business College.
-Miss Annie PLACE left last Tuesday for Bowling Green, Ohio. She accompanied her uncle, Mr. Robert PLACE, and family and will attend High school there. On their way east, they visit the Portland fair, Salt Lake City, Colorado Springs and Denver. Mr. John PLACE had not seen his brother and family for 22 years and it was a happy reunion for them.
-John SHILDS' new residence will soon be completed. It has seven rooms and is a neat and commodious building costing about $1000 when finished.
-Paul ROTHENBUELER and Richard HUDSON took the Eighth grade examination in Bellingham this week.
-Miss Minnie FRISKE of Elma is a recent arrival.
-Carl and Grace HULBERT spent about a week at the Portland fair recently.

All pages on the Whatcom County, WA GenWeb project are copyright protected.

Back to Newspaper Index

Back to Whatcom GenWeb Home Page