Whatcom County Obituaries

Surnames Beginning with "Mo-My"

MOCK, Susan (d. 1915)

One of the most active and prominent workers in the G. A. R. and W. R. C. in the Department of Washington and Alaska passed away at 11:20 a. m. yesterday with the death of Mrs. Susan Lambert Mock, wife of the Rev. W. H. Mock, once commander of that department, who died two years ago last March. Mrs. Mock was taken suddenly ill Friday when watching the parade of G. A. R. veterans at the annual convention of the G. A. R. and W. R. C. at Centralia and unconsciousness resulted. She was placed on a train for Bellingham the same day and arrived here Saturday night, having been met in Seattle by her son, Harry M. Mock. She died at her home, 311 Laurel street, without having regained consciousness.

Mrs. Mock was always keenly interested in the work of the G. A. R. and the Women's Relief Corps, of which she was past president for the Department of Washington and Alaska. She was also a member of the Women's Relief Corps of J. B. Steedman post No. 31 and of the Eastern Star and Trinity M. E. church. She had been a resident of Bellingham since 1890. Mrs. Mock is survived by three sons - Harry M. Mock, of Bellingham; George W. Mock, of Birch Bay, and Charles W. Mock, of Seattle, and by two daughters, Mrs. Scott M. Weimer, of Bellingham, and Mrs. George F. Sykes, of Alvarado, Ore. The funeral services will be held at Trinity Methodist church Wednesday afternoon at 2 o'clock, the Rev. Everett M. Hill officiating. The services at the grave will be under the direction of the J. B. Stedman (sic) Post Women's Relief Corps No. 31. The body lies at Harlow & Livingston's parlors.
(From The American Reveille, June 29, 1915) Submitted by site coordinator.

MOCK, William H. (d. 1913)

News of the death of his father, W. H. Mock, at Orlando, Fla., was contained in a telegram received today by George W. Mock, of the firm of Mock & Harlow, undertakers. The elder Mr. Mock died at 8 o'clock this morning, after having been confined to his bed for more than two months. The deceased was 64 years of age. Mr. Mock formerly lived in Bellingham, being a member of the firm of W. H. Mock & Son, and was well-known to many here. He was prominent in fraternal and religious circles and at the time of his removal from Bellingham to Florida was department commander of the Washington and Alaska division of the G. A. R. He was also a member of the J. B. Steidman post of the G. A. R., and a member of Bellingham lodge No. 44, of the Masonic order, and a member of the Eastern Star. He came to Bellingham in 1901 and resided here until three years ago, when he removed to Florida in the interest of his health.

He is survived by a widow, Susan L. Mock, who was with him at the time of his death. Mrs. Mock, during her residence in Bellingham was department president of the Women's Relief corps. Three sons, George W., of Bellingham; Charles W., of Seattle, and Harry M., of Orlando, Fla., and two daughters, Mrs. George F. Sykes, of Bellingham, and Mrs. Scott M. Weimer, of Vancouver, B. C., also survive him. The body will be brought to Bellingham, accompanied by Mrs. Mock, and will be interred here. The funeral arrangements will be announced later.
(From The Bellingham Herald, March 7, 1913) Submitted by site coordinator.

MOHRMANN, Emily (d. 1960)

Mrs. Mohrmann, Oldest Native of County, Dies
Mrs. Emily Tawes Mohrmann of Ferndale, 93 years old and Whatcom County's oldest native resident, died Tuesday at her home in Ferndale. For many years she was a familiar figure at the Old Settlers picnics at Ferndale and in the pioneer parades that feature them. Mrs. Mohrmann was in fairly good health until about a month ago. She is survived by a daughter, Mrs. Hilda Myers, and a son, Peter Mohrmann, both in Ferndale, six grandchildren and 15 great-grandchildren. Funeral services will be held at 1:30 p. m. Saturday in Moles' Monroe Funeral Home in Ferndale, Rev. Ivan R. Smith officiating. Burial in Woodlawn Cemetery will follow.
Mrs. Mohrmann was the daughter of McKinney Tawes and Mary Bird Tawes, who came to the town of Sehome in 1856. They came to the Northwest aboard a sailing vessel when he was hired to bring machinery for the Sehome Coal Mine, and lived in Sehome where Mrs. Mohrmann was born March 26, 1867, one of five children. Her mother was the fifth white woman on Bellingham Bay. When she was five, her father homesteaded on 160 acres on the Nooksack River below the present town of Ferndale.
She grew up on the homestead, and went to the first school built, of logs, in that area, across the river from her home. Mrs. Mohrmann rode in various pioneer equipages in the Old Settlers parades but this last summer in a 1960 automobile. Last year her car was stopped before the parade main stand and she spoke a "recitation" she had given at graduation time some 75 years ago.
(From The Bellingham Herald November 2, 1960)

MOHRMANN, Grace (d. 1926)

Grace Mohrmann, a resident of Ferndale, passed away at the home of her sister, Mrs. H. R. Myers, 6051 29th Avenue, Northeast, Seattle, Tuesday morning, July 27, at the age of 28 years. Miss Mohrmann was born at Port Townsend, but had lived practically all her life in Ferndale. She was graduated at the Ferndale High School and the Bellingham normal. She had been teaching for the past few years. The surviving relatives are her mother, Mrs. E. M. Bearse of Ferndale; one sister, Mrs. H. R. Myers of Seattle; two brothers, Pete Mohrmann of Ferndale and Ray of Olympia, besides other relatives and friends. The body was removed to the funeral parlors of George Monroe, and the funeral services take place today (Thursday) at the Monroe chapel. Burial will be in Woodlawn cemetery.
(From The Ferndale Record, July 29, 1926) Submitted by site coordinator.

MONTFORT, Abraham R. (d. 1919)

Abraham R. Montfort, jr., died at the Western Washington state hospital on January 8th as a result of a general decline following an attack of influenza. He was the son of Mrs. A. R. Montfort of this city and a brother of George, Louis, Donald and Miss Annie of this place and of Archie R. of Litchfield, Minn. He was thirty-five years old. The funeral was conducted by Dr. Grimes at Tacoma. The interment, after cremation, was at the Blaine cemetery on Monday of this week.
(From The Blaine Journal, January 10, 1919) Submitted by site coordinator.

MOORE, William F. (d. 1902)

W. F. Moore, an old soldier who was hurt about two weeks ago while blasting out on the Guide Meridian road and brought into St. Luke's hospital, died this morning. While in the hospital he was taken down with pneumonia, of which he died. Stedman post will have charge of the funeral, which will occur tomorrow afternoon at Noice's parlors at 2 o'clock.
(From The Weekly Blade, Mar. 5, 1902) Submitted by Merrily Lawson.

MOORMAN, Cora (d. 1903)

Miss Cora Moorman, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. D. R. Moorman, of this place, died at her home Monday night after an illness of but a few hours. Congestion of the lungs was the cause. Miss Cora was born near London, Ohio, Feb. 20, 1886. She came to this state with her parents in 1889 and in 1896 they moved to Nezperce, Idaho. They lived there for six years, coming to this place in May of last year. She attended the Normal at Whatcom last fall. Her sister, Miss Velma is a student at the Normal but at the present time is ill with the measles. Besides her parents, two sisters, Mrs. Ella Arnold of Grangeville, Ida., and Miss Velma, and a brother Edgar are left to mourn the loss of she who was taken in the prime of girlhood. The funeral was held this morning from the residence, two miles east of the city. The Rev. J. W. Kern officiated and interment was made in the cemetery west of town.
(From The Pacific Pilot, January 29, 1903) Submitted by site coordinator.

MOORMAN, William T. (d. 1904)

Gen. M. A. MacPherson of Lynden, who was in the city yesterday, brings news of the death of W. T. Moorman, a pioneer and well-known resident of that section, which occurred last Friday night at 9:30. The cause of death was pneumonia, from which the deceased had suffered for about thirty days.

Mr. Moorman was born in 1835, near Lees Burgh, Highland county, Ohio. Along about 1850 he drifted westward to Iowa, with his father and brother. After about three years spent in the Hawkeye state, gravitating farther west, he found himself in California. From there he came north to the Blue Mountain country, near Walla Walla, Wash., and took up 160 acres under the timber-land act. Selling this to the Blalock family, he made a voyage over the Pacific to the far-off islands of the south seas, spending a summer on the island of Tahiti. Returning to America, Mr. Moorman settled near Lynden, in 1883. There he hewed out a home for himself along with many other early pioneers and remained on the old place till death removed him.

The funeral occurred at the residence of a neighbor, Mr. Terrell, where he had died. The Terrell family and the Scandinavian people of the vicinity, Gen. MacPherson says, were particularly kind to Mr. Moorman during his illness, doing everything possible for his comfort. Deceased was a bachelor and had no relatives in this county. He has relatives in eastern Washington, some in Missouri, and others at the old home near Keokuk, Iowa. Mr. Moorman was a Quaker in religion; in his party affiliations, a decided prohibitionist; personally he was a very agreeable man, and had made many friends, by whom he was universally respected for the worthiness of his character.
(From The Reveille, July 12, 1904) Submitted by site coordinator.

MORAN, J. H. (d. 1904)

DEATH OF J. H. Moran.
Well-Known Bellingham Man Succumbs to Consumption.
   J. H. Moran died last evening at 6 o'clock at the home of his parents, Mr. and Mrs. Thomas Moran, on High street. He was 35 years of age. Death was due to consumption, from which disease Mr. Moran had suffered for several months. For the past six weeks he had been confined to his bed. The deceased was well known in this city, having lived here for the past fourteen years, and was universally respected and popular. During most of this time he had been associated with his father as a contractor on street building and other work.
   Besides his parents-Mr. Thomas Moran and Mrs. Sarah Moran-deceased leaves one sister, Mrs. R. E. Cowan, and four brothers, E. L., W. T., S. P. and Al. Moran The funeral will be held at the Eagles' hall at 2:30 o'clock tomorrow afternoon, under the auspices of the Fraternal Order of Eagles, of the local aerie of which deceased was a charter member. Interment will be made in Bay View cemetery.
(From The Daily Reveille, February 13, 1904) Copied by Merrily Lawson.

MORAN, Sarah A. (d. 1911)

Sarah Ann Moran, aged 63 years, wife of Thomas Moran, died at the family home, 1020 Mason street, this forenoon at 10:15 o'clock following an extended illness. Mrs. Moran was born in Polk county, Ore., May 20, 1847, and came to this city with her family from Pendleton, Ore., more than twenty years ago. She is survived by her husband, three sons, Richard, Ollie and Elijah Moran, and one daughter, Mrs. Fannie Cowan, all being residents of this city, with the exception of Elijah Moran, who is now residing in New Westminster, B. C. Mrs. Moran also leaves three grandchildren residing in this city. The body lies at the parlors of Mock & Hill, 1055 Elk street. Funeral arrangements will be announced later.
(From The Bellingham Herald, February 22, 1911) Submitted by site coordinator.

MORAN, Thomas (d. 1916)

Death called Thomas Moran, Whatcom county pioneer, at his home, 1020 Mason street, at 4:14 p. m. yesterday, following a brain hemorrhage due to a paralytic stroke which seized him yesterday morning on Dock street about 10 o'clock. From the time he was stricken to his death Mr. Moran did not regain consciousness. Those surviving him are three sons, William T., Alfred and Elijah L., and one daughter, Mrs. M. A. Hill, all of Bellingham.

Mr. Moran, with his long residence and his entertaining character, had created hundreds of friends in the city. He was one of the best known of the old timers and was usually found on the street corner entertaining a circle of friends with his stories of pioneer days on Bellingham Bay. He was 72 years of age and up to the time of the stroke yesterday was exceptionally active for a man of his years. He was seldom ill and was in the habit of walking to the city at least once every day. Many historical incidents in Bellingham's younger days hinge around Mr. Moran, and he had an interesting career before arriving here 27 years ago. His mother, who died here several years ago, often told of the narrow escape from death she had when Tom was a little infant in her arms. The family was moving in a prairie schooner across the desert from Pendleton, Ore., when a band of Indians surrounded the schooner and killed the father, Mrs. Moran and her little son were not injured but they were separated. Strangers carried Tom to The Dalles, Oregon. Later he was taken to the Willamette Valley. Soon afterward his mother found him. Mrs. Moran was said to be the first white woman born in Oregon. Funeral services for Mr. Moran probably will be announced today by Harry O. Bingham. He was a charter member of the Eagles lodge, but was not affiliated with any other organization.
(From The Bellingham Herald, September 2, 1916) Submitted by site coordinator.

MORE, Salina J. (d. 1944)

MORGAN, Mary J. (d. 1920)

SUMAS, March 29. - Mrs. Mary Jane Morgan passed away at home on Tuesday, March 23, at the age of 78 years. Mrs. Morgan had resided in Sumas for twenty-two years and leaves her husband, D. J. Morgan; one son, N. C. Morgan, and one daughter, Mrs. Cora Heathers, besides nine grandchildren and four great grandchildren. Mrs. Morgan was a member of the Baptist church since she was a girl. She was born in Schuyler county, Illinois, January 12, 1842, and was married to Mr. Morgan October 16, 1867. The funeral services were held at the Baptist church on Thursday, March 25 and the interment followed in the I. O. O. F. cemetery. The deceased was the eldest of four sisters and the last to be called to rest.
(From The Bellingham Herald, March 29, 1920) Submitted by site coordinator.

MORGAN, William (d. 1937)

MORGAN, William S. (d. 1916)

William Sylvester Morgan, aged 74 years, passed away at a local hospital Thursday evening, March 9, after an illness of several weeks' duration. Mr. Morgan has been a resident of Bellingham for the past eight years, coming here at that time from DeKalb, Ga. He leaves to survive him his aged widow, Mrs. M. Electa Morgan, residing at 906 Fourteenth street; two sons, G. W. Morgan and V. S. Morgan, of Decatur, Ga.; three daughters, Mrs. W. S. Morrow and Mrs. Captain E. H. Hyde, of this city; Mrs. H. T. Hyde, of Empire, Canal Zone; one brother, B. M. Morgan of Jackson, Mo.; one sister, Mrs. P. A. Speer, of Passaic, N. J., and twenty-seven grandchildren and one great-grandchild. At the time of his death Mr. Morgan was a member and elder of the First Presbyterian church, South Bellingham. Funeral services will be held from the above named church Sunday afternoon at 2:30 o'clock, with the Rev. James M. Wilson officiating. Interment will be made in the family plot at Bay View cemetery, under the direction of Funeral Directors Harlow & Livingston.
(From The Bellingham Herald, March 10, 1916) Submitted by site coordinator.

MORGENTHALER, Carrie E. (d. 2000)

Carrie Estella Morgenthaler, age 91, of Bellingham, passed away Tues., Mar. 7, 2000, at St. Francis Extended Health Care. She was born Sept. 23, 1908, in Van Zandt to Alexander and Lillie (Allen) Hamilton, one of seven children: Russell, Ora, Ellis, Donald, Kenneth, Evelyn and Bernice. She lived most of her life in Whatcom County. Carrie married Fanton Floyd Morgenthaler and he preceded her in death on Aug. 27, 1971. She was a hard worker her entire life. In addition to "housewife" duties, she helped on the farm and picked ferns for floral use. In later life, she volunteered a the Bellingham Senior Center, Wise Buys, and most recently by sewing labels for project "Warm Up." She is survived by her son, Ronald Morgenthaler of Camano Island; granddaughter, Kathryn Highlander of Friday Harbor; great grandson, Eric Frazier of Bellingham; sister, Bernice Minge of Bellingham; brother Kenneth Hamilton of Bellingham and numerous other family members. A memorial service will be held Tues., Mar. 14, 10:30 a.m. in Greenacres Funeral Home Chapel with Mr. Rex Watt officiating. Inurnment will be at Greenacres Memorial Park. Memorial may be sent to a favorite charity. Greenacres Funeral Home
(From The Bellingham Herald, March 12, 2000) Submitted by Debbie deHoog

MORLAN, Richard D. (d. 1914)

Richard D. Morlan, aged 78 years, passed away at his home, 1012 High street, December 30, after a lingering illness of several months. Mr. Morlan was born August 24, 1838, in Park county, Indiana, and moved to Iowa in the year 1852. He was married to Miss Sarah Lewis on September 13, 1855, their happy life together nearly reaching the sixty-year mark. He has left to survive him his widow, Mrs. R. D. Morlan; two sons, G. W. Morlan, of Mount Vernon, and E. D. Morland, 1016 High street, this city; four daughters, Mrs. J. E. Collins, of Bellingham; Mrs. L. J. Smiley, of Portland, Ore.; Mrs. W. A. Sparks, of Port Blakeley, Wash., and Mrs. J. S. Hines, of Bellingham; one brother and one sister in Green county, Iowa. Mr. Morlan has resided in Bellingham since 1898. He enlisted in the army August 15, 1862, joining Company E, Thirty-ninth Iowa Infantry, and was discharged at Washington, D. C., June 5, 1865, at the close of the war. Mr. Morlan has been a member of the Christian church for more than fifty years, was a member of J. B. Steedman post, G. A. R., and Bellingham Bay lodge No. 44, F. & A. M. Services will be held Sunday afternoon, January 3, at 2 o'clock, from the funeral parlors of Undertakers Harlow & Livingston, 1051-55 Elk street, Rev. Otho H. Williams, of the First Christian church, officiating. J. B. Steedman post, G. A. R., will give their service also at the parlors, and Bellingham Bay lodge F. & A. M. will conduct the service at the grave. Interment will be made in the family lot at Bay View cemetery.
(From The Bellingham Herald, January 2, 1915) Submitted by site coordinator.

MORLAN, Sarah (d. 1916)

Sarah Morlan, aged 78 years, 6 months and 12 days, passed away at her home, 1016 High street, at an early hour Saturday evening after an illness of several months' duration. She leaves to survive her two sons, G. W. Morlan, of Mount Vernon, Wash., and E. D. Morlan, of this city; four daughters, Mrs. L. J. Smiley, of Portland, Ore.; Mrs. Martha Collins, of this city; Mrs. W. A. Sparks, Juneau, Alaska, and Mrs. Ida Hinds, of this city. Mrs. Morlan was a resident of this city for the past sixteen years and at the time of her death she was a member of the First Christian church and Woman's Relief corps, J. B. Steadman, No. 31, of this city. Funeral services will be held Sunday afternoon at 2:30 o'clock from the funeral parlors of Arthur C. Harlow, 1051-55 Elk street, the Rev. Duncan McPhail officiating, also the Woman's Relief corps service at the chapel. All members of the G. A. R. and W. R. C. requested to be present. Interment will be made in the family plot at Bay View cemetery.
(From The Bellingham Herald, June 30, 1916) Submitted by site coordinator.

MORRIS, Jesse W. (d. 1944)

Jesse Wade Morris, 66 years old, was laid to rest in Lynden Cemetery Saturday, following services at the Knapp and Knapp Chapel in Lynden. The services were read by Mrs. Marie Berthusen. The Lynden district resident passed away at a Bellingham hospital Wednesday, after a long illness. He lived on Rt. 1, Ferndale. Mr. Morris was born in Linden, Kansas , August 27, 1878. He grew to manhood in Kansas and on June 7, 1902 he married Mabel I. Root, at Kansas City, Mo. Mr. and Mrs. Morris lived in Kansas for a while and came West in March, 1912, settling at Pacific, Wash. They moved to Whatcom County in 1918 and have lived in this community ever since. Survivors include his widow and two sisters, Mrs. Inez Chamberlin of Los Angeles, and Mrs. Minnie Russel of Kansas City. Pall bearers at the funeral were Mr. Bliven, Jim Bovendam, Tom Burnham, Ray Bailey, H. H. Sturtz and Henry Weidkamp.
(From The Lynden Tribune, October 26, 1944) Submitted by site coordinator.

MORRIS, Lucy (d. 1929)

MORRISON, Ethel (d. 1903)

Mrs. Ethel Morrison, wife of Joseph Morrison, and daughter of Dr. and Mrs. A. W. Thornton, died Tuesday morning at 9 o'clock; peritonitis was the cause of her death. An operation had been successfully performed on Monday afternoon, after which it was thought that she would recover, but Tuesday morning she grew worse suddenly and passed away. Funeral services were held in the Congregational church at 2 o'clock Wednesday afternoon. Rev. Morse officiating. The remains were interred in the Enterprise cemetery. Mrs. Morrison has resided in Ferndale for a number of years and had a wide circle of friends, who join with the bereaved ones in mourning the loss of their loved one.
(From The Ferndale Record, reprinted in The Weekly Blade of September 9, 1903) Submitted by site coordinator.

Mrs. Joseph Morrison died at her home in Ferndale one day last week, the result of an operation. She was the youngest daughter of Dr. and Mrs. Thornton of that place, and besides them, leaves a husband, three-year-old son, four sisters and two brothers. Mrs. Morrison had resided at Ferndale for the past fifteen years and had a large circle of friends. Her husband is one of the proprietors of the Morrison Shingle Mill Company of Ferndale.
(From The Pacific Pilot, September 10, 1903) Submitted by site coordinator.

MORSE, Irvine (d. 1903)

Died, August 7, 1903, Irvine, second son of Mr. and Mrs. R. I. Morse, at the residence of his parents, 1014 Garden street. Irvine Morse was born in Whatcom May 27, 1887, and was 16 years old at the time of his death. He had been sick for some time, with a fever, the result of heart disease and his system was so weakened that he could not rally. Irvine Morse was a bright young man of promise, kind and thoughtful, energetic and intelligent. He was a favorite with his associates. His parents have the sincere sympathy of their fellow citizens.
(From The Weekly Blade, August 12, 1903) Submitted by site coordinator.

MORSE, Robert I. (d. 1920)

R. I. Morse, one of Bellingham's most useful and sterling citizens and a resident here since 1884, died this morning at 3 o'clock in a Los Angeles, Cal., hospital, according to a telegram received by his son, Charles L. Morse, from the hardware merchant's eldest son, Cecil A. Morse, who, with the widow, was at his father's bedside when death came. Mr. Morse had been failing for the last six or eight months and about February 1 went to Southern California for his health and to look after business interests at Santa Monica, near Los Angeles. He had been in the hospital about two weeks, but until a short time before the end came there was hope of his recovery. He was semi-conscious some time before his decease. The body will be brought to Bellingham for burial, but no details of the funeral arrangements are ready for announcement. The body will leave Los Angeles tomorrow night and will reach here about Friday. Mr. Morse was a member of the First Baptist church and of Bellingham Bay lodge No. 44, being a 32nd degree Mason. He was trustee of the town of Sehome in 1888, and councilman-at-large, of the city of Whatcom in 1902.

The survivors are the widow, who was his second wife; five sons and four grandchildren, also one brother and two sisters. The sons by his first wife are Cecil A. Morse and Charles L. Morse. Those by his second wife are Robert, William and David. The grandchildren are Catherine and Margaret, daughters of Cecil A. Morse, and Bettie and Shirley, Charles L. Morse's children. The brother, Howard Morse, and one sister, Mrs. May Jackson, live in Waterville, Maine. The other sister, Mrs. Hattie Matheson, resides in Cambridge, Mass.

Mr. Morse was born in Waterville, Maine, in June, 1859, and came West in the seventies, landing in San Francisco. While engaged in the hardware business there in 1884 he obtained a leave of absence to come to Bellingham Bay, whose name was heralded abroad as a prospective great port. After re-connoitering here Mr. Morse became so imbued with that idea himself that upon his return to San Francisco he severed his connections there and removed to Bellingham. He opened a hardware store in a small frame building on Elk street and there he remained in business for thirty-six years. The little frame building is there, but alongside it is a modern two-story brick structure, for the young man's business expanded until he had to put in one of the largest hardware stocks in the Northwest. The company of which he was the head now has more than 100 feet of frontage there.

From the first Mr. Morse actively participated in anything that promised to develop Bellingham. Always his name was to the fore in community enterprise and in business his word quickly became as good as his bond. Business grew not only in Bellingham but in adjacent territory, until at last his store had connections with Alaska and through a wide area in the Northwest. Through it all Mr. Morse stuck to Elk street, though most of his mercantile neighbors removed to Holly street, and it is undoubtedly true that Elk street would not be the commercial thoroughfare it is today had Mr. Morse deserted it.

As business grew Mr. Morse took his sons, Cecil and Charles, into partnership and they formed the Morse Hardware company, with the father as president and treasurer, Cecil as first vice president and Charles a second vice president. As has been indicated, Mr. Morse's activities were not confined to him own business. He ever had the welfare of the city at large at his heart and served on many important committees of the Chamber of Commerce and other organizations connected therewith. In a quiet way he performed many charitable and philanthropic acts, but the public did not hear of these. In his church affiliations he was faithful and devoted and he was, of course, one of the pillars of the First Baptist church. His death will be mourned by hundreds of men and women in this part of the state. Mr. Morse died believing in the future of Bellingham. About two months before he left for California he made the following statement in an interview: "Bellingham will be a great port without a doubt. Within ten years I believe there will a tremendous shipping between here and Alaska. Bellingham is going to grow and prosper."
(From The Bellingham Herald, April 12, 1920) Submitted by site coordinator.

MORSMAN, Mandana (d. 1915)

Funeral services were held Sunday afternoon from the Mennonite church in Mountain View for Mrs. Mandana Morsman who died Saturday from the results of cancer. Madana (sic) Morsman was born in Chanenden, Vermont on July 13, 1838, and died July 17, 1915, at the age of 77 years, 4 days. She was united in marriage with W. H. Morsman in Vermont in 1858. She removed with her family to Mountain View in 1888. Seven children were born to this union, two of whom died in infancy, and Pearl M. Kennedy, deceased. She is survived by her husband, W. H. Morsman, one son, J. W. Morsman, of Bellingham, Mrs. J. W. Burges, of Weiser Lake, Mrs. W. E. Reickert, of Mountain View, Mrs. Tom Slater, of Bellingham, and eleven grandchildren and nine great grandchildren.
(From The Ferndale Record July 23, 1915) Submitted by site coordinator.

MORSMAN, William H. (d. 1925)

William H. Morsman, 2815 Peabody street, who served in the Civil war and was a member of J. B. Steedman post No. 24, of the G. A. R., died Wednesday, aged 84 years, after nearly two years' illness. He had lived in the county since 1888, residing at Mountain View until two years ago. In the Civil war he served in Company G, 12th Regiment, of Vermont. The survivors are three daughters, Mrs. Ida Burgess, at whose home he died; Mrs. W. E. Reichert, Mountain View, and Mrs. Thomas Slater, Los Angeles; one son, Joseph W. Morsman; eleven grandchildren. Funeral services will be held at the Mountain View church Sunday at 2:30 p. m., with the Rev. E. H. Metcalf, of the Birch Bay Mennonite church, officiating. Interment will be in charge of Homer Mark.
(From The Bellingham Herald, July 9, 1925) Submitted by site coordinator.

MORTON, George (d. 1935)

The whole community was grieved and shocked over the sudden death of George Morton on Wednesday at his home on Fourth street. Someone called at his house at about noon on Wednesday and receiving no response when they knocked at the door, became alarmed, and went down town and told Lester Livingston, who with Herbert E. Simonds, a very close friend, immediately went to the house and forcing an entrance, found that Mr. Morton had passed away. It is thought that he died at about 9 o'clock that morning. Mr. Morton had resided in Blaine for the past thirty-five years and had a host of friends here. He was 78 years of age and had not been feeling well for the past few weeks although he had walked down town on Tuesday afternoon. The funeral services will be held Friday afternoon at 2:00 o'clock from the Purdy chapel with the Rev. G. E. James of the Methodist church officiating. Interment will be made in the Blaine cemetery.
(From The Blaine Journal, August 8, 1935) Submitted by John Rausch, typed by Merrily Lawson.

MOSSIGE, Louise K. (d. 2001)

A graveside service for Louise K. (Gerner) Mossige of Bellingham will be at 3 p.m. Monday at Greenacres Memorial Park near Ferndale, with the Rev. Al Currier officiating. Mrs. Mossige died Thursday, April 5, 2001, in Bellingham. She was 90. Born Jan. 10, 1911, to Nicholas and Katherine (Goetz) Gerner in Bellingham, she was a lifetime Whatcom County resident. On Sept. 6, 1935, she married Ing Mossige in Bellingham. Mrs. Mossige was a member of a local card club. An avid gardener, she also enjoyed reading and playing cards, pinochle, cribbage and pool at the Bellingham Senior Activity Center. Her son Eugene F. Mossige died in 1948. Survivors include her husband of Rosewood Villa; sister Elsie Kohler and brothers Walter and Elmer Gerner, all of Bellingham; and other relatives. Arrangements are by Jones-Moles Funeral Home.
(From The Bellingham Herald, April 7, 2002) Submitted by Debbie deHoog.

MOULTRAY, William R. (d. 1930)

Pioneer Legislator of Whatcom County Is Summoned
After a residence of nearly sixty years in Whatcom county, William R. Moultray, former state senator and in early days identified with the shingle industry, died at his home, 210 Grand avenue, Monday at 2:20 p. m. He was 78 years of age and had been ill more than one year. Funeral services will be held Thursday at 1:30 p. m. at the Harlow-Hollingsworth funeral home. The Rev. James M. Wilson, minister of St. James Presbyterian church, will officiate. Interment will follow in Bay View cemetery. Honorary casketbearers will be Hugh Eldridge, W. J. Griswold, Joe Kemphaus, P. S. Battersby, S. E. Barrett and Ed Sherwood. The active bearers will be Percy Livesey, Roy Tucker, I. P. Abshire, George H. Bacon, George Elder and C. H. Hurlbut.

The final honor to be bestowed upon Mr. Moultray during his life was at the last annual picnic of the Old Settlers association in August, when he was presented with the Neterer silver loving cup awarded annually to the oldest living settler not previously honored. Because of long illness he was forced to go to Pioneer park, Ferndale, for the presentation, in an automobile.

Mr. Moultray first served in the legislature as a member of the House of Representatives, during the first two years of statehood, being elected in 1889. He was one of its most influential leaders. In 1900 he was elected state senator from the county district and, although he removed to Bellingham, two years later, served out his term and never has been a candidate since. Mr. Moultray was the first president of the Whatcom County Shingle Manufacturers association in 1896, was a former president of the Bellingham Chamber of Commerce and served several terms as president of the Bellingham Real Estate board. The former senator was a Democrat in politics until 1886 when he changed his affiliations to the Republican party. He made his first political address in 1888. Mr Moultray was active in the realty business in Bellingham for several years, retiring two years ago because of ill-health.

Born in Missouri, he came to the Northwest before 1873, when he went to New Westminster, B. C., where he worked on the construction of wagonroads and bridges. In 1873 he came to Washington and after working near LaConner opened a trading post or store at Nooksack Crossing and filed a homestead. This store originated rural free delivery in Whatcom county. He delivered merchandise everywhere, either by canoe on the river, oxteam, saddlehorses and in many cases in a pack on an Indian's back. He also built and maintained Moultray's ferry at Nooksack crossing and led the movement which resulted in making a wagon road out of the old Telegraph trail. In British Columbia this trail is still one of the main highways and is referred to as "Whatcom Trail."

Surviving are his widow, Mrs. Elizabeth Moultray; two sons, William E. Moultray, San Pedro, California, and Lester B. Moultray, Bellingham; three daughters, Mrs. Effie Gaunt, Seattle; Mrs. Richard Drain, Bellingham, and Mrs. Charles Hooker, Mount Vernon, and ten grandchildren.
(From The Bellingham Herald November 4, 1930) Relative: Terry Moultray

MOULTRAY, Elizabeth (d. 1937)

Pioneer Widow of Late Senator Passes at Seattle
One of Whatcom county's best known pioneers, Mrs. Lizzie Moultray, 210 Grand avenue, died at 6 a. m. Friday in the Virginia Mason hospital, Seattle, after a short illness. Mrs. Moultray, the widow of the late State Senator W. R. Moultray, was 77 years of age and had lived in Whatcom county since 1874, when her parents settled at Everson. Mrs. Moultray was married to Mr. Moultray in 1877. She was a member of the Old Settlers' association of Whatcom county. Mrs. Moultray is survived by the following children: Lester Moultray, Bellingham; Mrs. Effie Gaunt, W. E. Moultray, Mrs. Alice Drain and Mrs. Charlotte Hooker, all of Seattle. Other survivors are nine grandchildren and two great grandchildren. Funeral services will be announced by the Harlow-Hollingsworth funeral home.
(From The Bellingham Herald September 24, 1937) Relative: Terry Moultray

MOUSO, Anna (d. 1940)

Last rites for Mrs. Anna L. Mouso, 2205 Walnut street, who passed away at her home Saturday evening, will be conducted Tuesday at 3 p.m., in the Bingham-Dahlquist chapel by the Rev. James M. Wilson. Interment will follow in the Bay View cemetery. Active casketbearers will be Clarence Shaw, DeWitt Shaw, A. Larson, J. B. Frank, James Uhl, Francis Sybrant and George Johnson. Honorary casketbearers will be E. C. Hurd, William Burton, E. C. Benedict, Mark Timpson, and Ralph Richardson. Mrs. Mouso, widow of the late Michael Mouso, Bellingham Civil war veteran, is survived by two daughters, Mrs. Claire Tucker and Bernice Mouso, city, and three sons, Minor Mouso, of Seattle; Bert Mouso, city, and Capt. Frank W. Mouso, of St. John’s Military Academy, Delafield, Wis.
(From The Bellingham Herald, January 1, 1940) Submitted by Merrily Lawson.

MOUSO, Michael (d. 1929)

Michael Mouso, Civil War Fighter, Is Dead.
Bellingham lost another sterling veteran of the Civil war Thursday night at a private hospital when Michael Mouso, past commander of J. B. Steedman post No. 24, G. A. R., died at aged 87 years. He served in the Civil war four years with Company A, Ninety-second New York regiment. Mr. Mouso, who had lived here twenty-four years, is survived by his widow, Mrs. Ann Mouso; three sons, Minor J. Mouso, Seattle; Major Frank M. Mouso, Delafield, Wis., and Bert H. Mouso, city; two daughters, Mrs. Roy M. Tucker and Miss Bernice Mouso, Bellingham; six grandchildren and two great-grandchildren.

Funeral services will be held at the Hollingsworth-Dahlquist Funeral Home Saturday at 2:30 p. m., with the Rev. James W. Wilson, minister of St. James' Presbyterian church, officiating. Ritualistic services by the J. B. Steedman post will follow. Members of that post will be honorary pallbearers. All members of that unit are commanded to attend the funeral. Interment will occur in Bay View cemetery. Before his retirement from business several years ago Mr. Mouso was associated with his son, the late F. J. Mouso, under the name of the Model Transfer Company. The son died in 1918. Bert Mouso is with the B. B. Furniture Company, Minor J. Mouso is in the grocery business in Seattle and Major Mouso is vice president of St. John's military academy, Delafield, Wis.
(From The Bellingham Herald, February 8, 1929) Submitted by site coordinator.

MUERER, Frederick H. (d. 1903)

Frederick H. Muerer died Sunday evening, Aug. 16th, at his home two and one-half miles from this city. Death was caused from the effects of being kicked in the abdomen by a young colt four weeks ago. Mr. Muerer was born in Saxon, Germany Aug. 19, 1855. He came to this country in 1880 and lived in the city of St. Paul, Minnesota. He was married to Miss Lizzie Enttat in that city in January, 1884. They came to this place nearly thirteen years ago and now own a valuable, river-bottom ranch two and one-half miles from town. The widow and eight children, two sons and six daughters, mourn his death. The children are all at home with their mother. The funeral was held from the home Tuesday afternoon and the remains interred in the cemetery west of town. Mr. Muerer was a good, hard-working man and was thoroughly honest in all his dealings. He was for a number of years school clerk in Dist. No. 53 and held that position at the time of his death. The sympathy of the entire community goes out to the bereaved members of the family.
(From The Pacific Pilot, August 20, 1903) Submitted by site coordinator.

MULDER, Antje (d. 1911)

"There is no death in this wide world
But one eternal scene of change;
The flag of life is never furled,
It only taketh wider range."
On Monday at 2 o'clock the beloved form of our most dear Mother was laid to rest by the side of her husband, who left us almost five years ago. In years she was nearly 75, in heart still young, always cheerful, always busy; busy till the last moment that sickness, laid her low, and even then her mind kept busy, with household duties. Her sickness lasted one week, and she passed away sleeping peacefully, leaving behind sweet memories of her beautiful life.

Born in Nieuwolda, Holland, in 1836 October 11, many places have been made, "Home" by her, the last 26 years in various places in the U. S. the last 7 years in Lynden. She left six children, all of whom are living. They are: Dr. D. Mulder, of Lynden; J. E. Mulder, of Manila, P. I.; Mrs. H. Bakker, of Holland; L. J. Mulder, of Los Angeles, Cal.; C. O. Mulder, of Lynden; and P. J. Mulder, of Gooding, Idaho. We thank the many friends and neighbors for their kind sympathy and for the beautiful flowers.
Her children: C. O. Mulder, Dr. D. Mulder and family.
(From The Lynden Tribune, March 9, 1911) Submitted by site coordinator.

MULLIKIN, Earl D. (d. 1934)

MULLIN, William J. (d. 1928)

William John Mullin, who had been employed by the city street department several years, died at 1:45 a.m. today at his home, 1905 King street, after three months illness. He had lived here twenty-one years. Mr. Mullin was a member of the Woodmen of the World, Bellingham camp No. 383, and of the Presbyterian church at River Falls, Wis. He was a brother of the late Samuel Mullin, owner of the Hotel Mullin and former local council man. Surviving relatives are the widow, Mrs. Laura Mullin; one son, Clyde, Seattle; two daughters, Miss Grace and Miss Hazel at home; his mother, Mrs. Mary J Mullin, River Falls, Wis.; one brother, James, Seattle; three sisters, Mrs. Margaret Rea, Fargo, N.D.; Mrs. Jane Miller, Menomonie, Wis, and Mrs. Pricilla Thompson, Stillwater, Minn. The body rests at the Homer Mark mortuary.
(From a Bellingham Herald, January 1928) Submitted by Wendy Brown

MUNCY, Margaret L. (d. 1919)

Mrs. C. H. Muncy of Drayton joined the silent majority in the great beyond Sunday evening last at the family home at Drayton. She had been ill for a month, but it was not considered serious, and her death came as a great shock to those who knew her. Funeral services were held at the home Wednesday afternoon at two o'clock, Rev. O. Congdon, of this city officiating. Margaret Louise Muncy was born in Liverpool, England, April 3, 1870. Later she lived in Canada, and 30 years ago came west. For 22 years she had been a resident of this vicinity. She was married to J. W. Shintaffer in February, 1889. Mr. Shintaffer was killed by accident April 32rd (sic), 1907. March 28, 1910 she was married to C. H. Muncy, who with the children, is left to mourn the passing of a kind and loving wife and mother. The children are Mrs. Kittie Johnson, of Bellingham, and May, Maud, Phillip and Johnny Shintaffer, all of Blaine. Deceased was a member of the Church of England and the Yeoman Lodge.
(From The Blaine Journal July 18, 1919) Submitted by site coordinator.

MUNRO, Ellen (d. 1925)

Funeral services for Mrs. Ellen Munro, aged 62 years, beloved wife of John Munro, pioneer resident of Whatcom county, will be held Sunday afternoon, June 28, at the family home at Marietta with Rev. Ivan Sader officiating, and interment will be made on the Munro family homestead, where Mr. and Mrs. Munro have resided for the past forty-three years, and will be in charge of the Harlow mortuary home. Surviving Mrs. Munro, besides the husband, are two sons, John Edward of Los Angeles, and Alexander Hugh of Tacoma; one daughter, Mrs. Mabel Noffsinger, Marietta; one sister, Mrs. Mary Sanders, Victoria, B. C., and five grandchildren, besides many friends to whom she had endeared herself in the years of her residence here.
(From The Bellingham Herald, June 27, 1925) Submitted by site coordinator.

MUNSON, Hanna (d. 1917)

Mrs. Hanna Munson, wife of Martin Munson, passed away at her home Monday evening. Mrs. Munson came to Lynden in 1882, and was known for her good deeds and fine character to a wide circle of friends. She was born in Sweden May 28, 1882. She is survived by her husband, a daughter, Mrs. A. Waldemar, a granddaughter and a grandson, two brothers, Nels Nelson of British Columbia, and A. N. Shagren of Lynden. Funeral services were held Wednesday at two o'clock. The Rev. Paul Ashby conducted the services.
(From The Lynden Tribune, June 14, 1917) Submitted by site coordinator.

MURA, Felix (d. 1935)

MURRY, Thomas R. (d. 1905)

MUSSULMAN, Henry W. (d. 1925)

Henry W. Mussulman, aged 77 years, beloved husband of Mrs. Mary Mussulman, passed away at the home of his brother-in-law, William Harvey, Fort Bellingham, Friday morning, March 13, after a long illness. Mr. Mussulman had been a resident here for the past twenty years and was a member of J. B. Steedman post No. 24, G. A. R., having served with Company D, 193rd regiment Ohio infantry. Surviving, besides the widow are one son, A. Mussulman, of this city; one daughter, Mrs. Stella Potter, city; two stepsons, Fred Smith, city, and Elmer Smith, Seattle; one sister, Mrs. J. H. Sheets, Marysville, Okla.; three grandchildren and two great-grandchildren and a number of nieces and nephews. The body rests at the Harlow mortuary home, Holly and Forest streets, where funeral services will be held Monday afternoon, March 16, at 2 o'clock, with the Rev. J. C. Harrison of the Garden Street Methodist church officiating and members of J. B. Steedman post giving their ritualistic services, followed by interment in Bay View cemetery.
(From The Bellingham Herald, March 13, 1925) Submitted by site coordinator.

MUTCHLER, Phoebe (d. 1939)

LYNDEN, March 23. - Aged 87 years, Mrs. Phoebe Mutchler, old-time county resident, died here yesterday at the home of a daughter, Mrs. A. G. Stierlen. She had been ill three weeks following a stroke. Mrs. Mutchler was born in Oswego, Ill., in 1852. In 1892 she came to Whatcom county with the late Mr. Mutchler, settling on the Guide Meridian. The family moved in 1911 to Arizona, then to Montana and in 1925 back to this county. Since then she has been living at Lynden. Surviving are three daughters, Mrs. Stierlen, Mrs. Vinnie Swiger, of Phoenix, Ariz., and Mrs. Ethel McGhee, of Seattle; two sons, Roy, of Lynden, and Earl, of Pablo, Mont.; four sisters, fifteen grandchildren and twenty-two great-grandchildren. Funeral services will take place Friday at 2 p. m. in the Knapp and Knapp funeral home, Lynden. Theodore Smith, of Sedro-Woolley, will officiate, followed by burial in the Lynden cemetery.
(From The Bellingham Herald, March 23, 1939) Submitted by site coordinator.

MYERS, Carrie (d. 1893)

Mrs. Wm. H. Myers, of Yager, died quite unexpectedly early Wednesday morning, in confinement. Dr. Markley was telegraphed for but she had died before he arrived. She leaves a husband and five children to mourn her loss. Mrs. Myers is an old settler and was highly respected by the entire community.
(From The Bellingham Bay Reveille, April 14, 1893) Submitted by Merrily Lawson.

MYERS, Conrad L. (d. 1926)

MYERS, James W. (d. 1925)

SUMAS, Aug. 10. - James W. Myers, superintendent of the Sumas Water company, and serving his second term as mayor, died of heart disease at his home here at 3 a. m. Sunday. He had been ill about three weeks. Mrs. Myers and Mrs. Susie Hicks, a daughter of Richfield, Washington, were at his bedside when death came. Funeral arrangements have not been completed. Mr. Myers had been a resident of Sumas for the past twenty-three years; was recognized as one of the border town's most active civic workers, and was instrumental in the early organization of the Sumas Roundup association and numerous other community enterprises of recent years. Survivors are his widow, two sons, Earl of Port Angeles, and Ernest T., of Coalville, Alberta, Canada; three daughters, Mrs. Hicks, Mrs. Mabel Kirby, of Seattle, and Mrs. Madeline Weitlaus, of Chicago, also two brothers, John and George T. Myers, residing at 2610 Franklin street, Bellingham, and a sister, Mrs. Margaret Cameron, a resident of Liberty, Mo.

The deceased was district deputy grand master of the local order of Oddfellows, and had filled all offices in the local order, up to that position. The lodge will have charge of grave-side ceremonies. The body lies in state at the Gillies undertaking parlors here, where arrangements for final rites were held in abeyance today pending word from the son, Ernest T. Myers, in Alberta. James W. Myers came to Sumas, a laborer, and during his twenty-three years of residence here continued a laborer for himself and his community. The interests of the town were his interests, and his name was linked with practically every phase of development and enterprise which has indexed the history of Sumas in the space of time he resided here. He was considered a financial success and while not identified with any particular private occupation, had property here and acreage at Sumas Prairie.

For eighteen years Mr. Myers served as a member of the Sumas board of school directors. He was superintendent of the local city water company for nine years, and combined with this position the work of overseer. Town councilmen will act as pallbearers when the services are held, it is planned. In commenting upon the active live of the decedent, one well known resident today said, "Enumerate the problems, the tasks and successes of Sumas over a period of twenty-three years, and you will find the name of J. W. Myers linked with them, almost without exception." Mr. Myers was sixty-eight years, four months and seventeen days of age when he died. He was born in St. Charles county, near St. Louis, Mo. He followed mining in Colorado for several years before coming to the Northwest. He was a member of the Methodist church.
(From The Bellingham Herald, August 10, 1925) Submitted by site coordinator.

MYERS, Solomon (d. 1904)

MYERS, William M. (d. 1912)

William M. Myers, age 66 years, passed away at the home of his daughter, Mrs. J. Sinlan, 2501 Peabody street, Sunday, May 12, after an illness of several months. Mr. Myers has been a resident of Whatcom county for twenty-four years, residing at Ten Mile during this time. The surviving relatives are one daughter, Mrs. Carrie E. Sinlan, of Bellingham; four sons, Homer H., Joseph A., Ernest V. and Fenton M. Myers, all of Ten Mile. The funeral services will be held Tuesday, May 14, at 10 o'clock a.m. from the funeral parlors of Undertaker Harry O. Bingham, 1319 Dock street, Rev. E. D. Hornschuch, pastor of the Evangelical church, officiating. Interment in Ten Mile cemetery.
(From The Bellingham Herald, May 13, 1912) Submitted by Merrily Lawson.

Back to Obituary Index

Back to Whatcom GenWeb Home Page