Whatcom County Obituaries

Surnames Beginning with "Mc"

McANENY, Eva (d. 1908)

Eva, the wife of J. T. McAneny, of the McAneny Hardware Company, died suddenly Sunday morning at 11 o'clock at the family home in this city. Mrs. McAneny has been in very poor health for over a year, but the news of her sudden death was entirely unlooked for by her many friends here and cast a gloom over the entire community. The funeral was held at the home Wednesday afternoon at 3 o'clock and was of a private character, Rev. Cheatham of the Episcopal church of Bellingham officiating. The remains were shipped yesterday to Oshkosh, Wis., her birthplace, and will be laid to rest beside those of her father. The floral offerings to the departed one were beyond description and included those of friends in Tacoma, Bellingham, Vancouver and Seattle and among the latter a magnificent tribute from ex-Mayor Moore and wife of the latter city. Naturally a very bright woman she was blessed with a good education, and throughout her suffering bore her lot bravely and without complaint. Peace be to her ashes.
(From The Blaine Journal, November 27, 1908) Submitted by site coordinator.

McARTHUR, Dougald W. (d. 1941)

Dougald W. McArthur, 65, 924 Garden street, was fatally stricken as he was walking along Commercial street, near the Mount Baker theater entrance, Monday at 1 p. m. and died a few moments later. Mr. McArthur engaged in the real estate and mining business here for years, served as councilman-at-large of Bellingham in 1913 and 1914 and was later a deputy county assessor. The widow, Isabel, is the only immediate survivor.

"Doug" McArthur, as he was known to his many friends, was born on a farm in Middlesex county, Ontario, Canada, July 5, 1876. He cam to the United States in 1879 and removed to Sehome, now a part of Bellingham, in 1888. When the Alaska gold rush started in 1896 he went to Nome and spent two years in the Northland. Returning he entered the real estate business in Bellingham. In 1918 Mr. McArthur entered the federal service with the Bureau of Education and continued that work for two years. Next he became a deputy assessor and later became associated with the county attorney's office in preparation of tax suits against railroads in this county. While on the city council Mr. McArthur worked for the pavement of arterial streets that joined county highways. The late James P. deMattos was mayor at the time. Mr. McArthur often told of how, as a boy, his first job was cleaning and lighting coal oil street lamps in Sehome. there were twelve of these lamps, he recalled. The body rests at the Harlow-Hollingsworth funeral home.
(From The Bellingham Herald, October 27, 1941) Submitted by site coordinator.

McARTHUR, Hannah (d. 1904)

At 2 o'clock Sunday afternoon death forever closed the eyes of Mrs. D. J. McArthur and took from the land of the living a lady who has gained the respect and confidence of her many friends who are left behind. Heart failure was the cause of her death, and up to the last she was in complete control of all her faculties.

Her maiden name was Hannah Ward, and she was born in Lobo Township, County Middlesex, Ontario. On the 18th of June, in the year 1861, she was united in marriage and became the mother of two sons, H. D. and D. W. McArthur, and one daughter, Ella, now Mrs. Charles A. McLennan, all of whom were with her at the time of her death. In 1879 the family emigrated and settled near Cass City, in Michigan, where they resided until the year 1888, when they came to Puget Sound, locating in this city and living here ever since. Mrs. McArthur was well known in this city and the surrounding country and all who knew her could not but love her. She was always ready to lend her assistance to anyone in need or sickness, and many were the poor and friendless whom she assisted when they were ill and in need of comfort. She was a direct descendant of the Teeples, who came to Plymouth Rock on the Mayflower, and was closely related to General Ward, who fought at the battle of Bunker Hill; was a cousin of Eber Ward, the great steamship owner of the Great Lakes, residing at Detroit, and also a relative of Judge Hall Davis, lately deceased, who resided in Seattle. Other members of the family now reside in Victoria and in different places on the Sound. On her mother's side, she was a descendant of the Dutch settlers of Schoharie county, New York. Previous to their immigration to Ontario, her father was a Green Mountain boy from Vermont. The deceased leaves three brothers: Truman H. Ward, of Fernhill, Ontario, William [and] George H. Ward, of Bancroft, Nebraska. Funeral services will be held today at 2 o'clock at the First Baptist church on Sylvan street, Rev. George R. Varney officiating. Interment will be made at Bay View cemetery.
(From The Bellingham Reveille, January 26, 1904) Submitted by site coordinator.

McCALL, Charles (d. 1910)

Charlie McCall is dead. For several years past an affliction in the head, probably originating from the ravages of catarrh, had caused partial deafness and almost a constant state of pain. The inroads of his malady as time wore on had encroached upon the intellectual organs, and, not satisfied with consuming the physical forces had laid its blighting hand upon the organ of thought until it, too, had been unbalanced, the seat of reason dethroned; the happy, go-easy nature was changed by the weakening of the intellectual powers until the delicate mainspring was snapped, the seat of reason was dethroned and self destruction to escape physical torture, mental hallucinations and apparitions, was the result. Last Sunday at about 2 p.m. he shot himself to death, the ball piercing the heart and death being instantaneous. His wife and small child were on the same floor, while his brother, a nephew and a lady relative were on the floor above.

Mr. McCall had spent almost a lifetime as a rugged pioneer, following the pursuits of mining, contracting and freighting on the plains and in the mountains, and that of a merchant in this city. He had amassed a sufficiency to insure comfort for life, he was possessed of a nice home and a faithful, dutiful wife, a bright baby son, and surrounded with the elements that make for comfort and happiness his rash act can only be accounted for by the theory that he was mentally irresponsible at the time he committed it. To the good wife now bowed in grief and comfortless, to the faithful brother and friends bereft, words of sympathy seem cold and harsh, but may God pity those who mourn and give rest to the weary soul that through so much suffering has at last found peace.

Deceased was born Dec. 28, 1855. He leaves a wife and a 15 months old son. The funeral was from the Congregational church, Rev. Holcombe preaching the sermon. The floral offerings were profuse and the attendance was large. The interment was at Enterprise cemetery under the direction of Monroe & Jackson.
(From The Ferndale Record, July 22, 1910) Submitted by site coordinator.

McCAN, Alice A. (d. 1921)

Mrs. Alice A. McCan, of Mountain View, died Thursday night at the age of 68 years at the family home. She was the wife of Joseph E. McCan, who survives her, and is well known here, where the family lived a number of years before moving to Mountain View. Funeral services were conducted Saturday by Rev. J. W. Moles, from the Methodist church and interment was made in Enterprise cemetery under the direction of George A. Monore. Alice Ann Fisher was born at Cloverdale, Morgan County, Indiana, February 22, 1852. She moved to Montgomery county, Indiana, and afterward to Michigan, in 1880. At the last named place she married Joseph E. McCan, June 29, 1882. In the spring of 1909 they moved to Ferndale, Wash., and about one year ago moved to a small farm at Mountain View, where she died July 14, 1921, at the age of 68 years, 4 months, and 22 days. She is survived by her husband, three brothers, James Frank and William, all of Michigan; also three sisters, Mrs. Elizabeth Clark, of Cypress, Illinois; Mrs. Nora Leeland, of Snohomish, Wash., and Mrs. Gerties Sanger, of Graves City, Mich. Besides these near relatives are quite a number of nephews and nieces. Mrs. McCan was very attached to her home and friends. She was a member of the Methodist Episcopal church at Newaggo, Mich., from which she never moved her membership. She was a kind, helpful, loving wife. The funeral services were held at the Methodist church in Ferndale and interment was in the Enterprise cemetery Saturday, July 16.
(From The Ferndale Record, July 22, 1921) Submitted by site coordinator.

McCANN, Margaret (d. 1903)

Last Friday, January 16, Mrs. Margaret McCann died at her husband's home on Washington avenue, after a severe attach of typhoid pneumonia. She was born in Limerick, Ireland in 1838 and was married in New York in 1862 to M. L. McCann. They moved to Sacramento, California, immediately after the marriage and lived there many years. There all their children were born. They came to Blaine and made many friends. Here their son, John McCann, also lived with them. Last Friday the true wife and kind mother was called away. She leaves a husband and three sons to mourn the loss of a kind companion and loving mother. The funeral took place under the auspices of the Blaine lodge of the A. O. U. W. last Sunday at two o'clock, at K. of P. hall. Father B. Plamondon, of Westminster conducted the services. Mrs. McCann's maiden name was Delmage, daughter of barrister Julius Delmage, of the Dublin Inns of Court. There was some family differences and Mrs. McCann was disownded and disinherited on account of her adherence to Catholicism.
(From The Blaine Journal, January 23, 1903) Submitted by site coordinator.

McCLEW, A. Maria (d. 1908)

Following an extended illness Mrs. A. Maria McClew, aged 80 years, died at the home of her daughter, Mrs. Eugene Adams, 617 Fourteenth street in south Bellingham this morning at 9:15 o'clock. Mrs. McClew came to this city three years ago from New York state. Besides her daughter, Mrs. Adams, two sons survive Mrs. McClew, Eugene J. McClew and C. Herbert McClew, both of Burt, New York. Short funeral services will be held this afternoon at 1 o'clock at the Adams residence and then the remains will be shipped to the old home in Burt, New York, under the direction of W. H. Mock & Sons, Rev. James M. Wilson of the Fairhaven Presbyterian Church will officiate at the services.
(From The Morning Reveille, April 17, 1908) Submitted by site coordinator.

McCLURE, Richard (d. 1924)

Richard McClure Passes Away As Result of Injury
SUMAS, May 14,--Richard McClure died Saturday at his home two miles East of Sumas as the result of an injury suffered several days previously while he was plowing on his ranch. The plow caught on a root, it is believed, and caused one of the tugs of the horses' harness to break. Mr. McClure was pulled over the plow and his head was injured.

Mr. McClure was a pioneer of the county, having come to Bellingham Bay in 1889. Wishing to visit Mr. Hoag, his brother-in-law, who at that time lived near the present community of Clearbrook, Mr. McClure started through the wilderness and became lost. Half famished he finally reached a ranch south of Sumas on which Mr. and Mrs. William Rich resided. He was housed and fed by Mr. Rich, who later assisted him in finding the home of Mr. Hoag. This was the beginning of a friendship between Mr. Rich and Mr. McClure that continued until the latter's death. Mrs. McClure was fatally stricken several years ago while untying her horse to return to her home after having done some shopping at Sumas. Later Mr. McClure was married to Mrs. McClure's sister, Ruby Alice Hammond and together they have carried on the work at their pretty country place of which the pioneer home was a part. Mr. McClure was 72 years of age at the time of his death. He leaves a brother who lives in British Columbia, just across the boundary line. Funeral services were held Monday afternoon at the J.C. Gillies mortuary by Rev. Karl R. Gilmer, of Bellingham, former pastor of the Sumas Methodist Episcopal church. Interment was made at the I.O.O.F. cemetery.
(From The Bellingham Herald, May 14, 1924) Submitted by Dennis Roll

McCLURG, Edward (d. 1926)

Funeral services were held for Edward McClurg at the First Methodist church in Blaine, Monday afternoon, at 2 o'clock, with the Rev. F. M. Bushong officiating. Mr. McClurg passed away Sunday morning, September 12, during the church service, of an attack of the heart, at the age of 65 years. He had been failing in health for some time and his sons brought him out from the East a few weeks ago, thinking the change might prove beneficial. He is survived by his widow, who is East, two sons, Noble and Claud, and four grandchildren. Mr. McClurg has been living with his son and daughter-in-law, Mr. and Mrs. Noble McClurg, at their home in the Excelsior district. At the services, the music was furnished by the church choir, and the pallbearers were John A. Martin, Carlton Palmer, Victor Savings, John Olson, G. Cook and Alvin Nelson. Burial was made in the Blaine cemetery under the Blaine Mortuary with F. M. Perkins directing.
(From The Bellingham Herald, September 14, 1926) Submitted by site coordinator.

McCOMB, Mary E. (d. 1926)

Services Sunday for Mountain View Pioneer
Funeral services for Mrs. Mary Eva McComb, pioneer of the Mountain View district, who died Wednesday at her home in Seattle, aged 65 years, will be held at 3 o'clock Sunday afternoon at the Arthur A. Wright & Son undertaking parlors in Seattle. Mr. and Mrs. McComb took up a homestead at Mountain View in the early days and lived there for many years. The immediate relatives who survive the deceased are the husband, Charles McComb, 300 Highland drive, Seattle; four children, Robert C. McComb, Harry McComb, Earl C. McComb, Clarence McComb, Mrs. Alice Packard and Miss Gladys McComb, as well as two sisters, J. B. Nation and Mrs. Emma Buchanan. Relatives in this vicinity are Charles R. Smith, Bellingham; Mrs. George Lampman and Robert Smith, Blaine, and Mrs. Thomas March and Mrs. Orval March, Anacortes.
(From The Bellingham Herald, December 24, 1926) Submitted by site coordinator.

McCOURT, Margaret (d. 1928)

Mrs. A. J. McCourt, 54 years of age, a member of one of the oldest families of the Ferndale district, died last Saturday in a Los Angeles hospital. With her parents, she came here when five years old and settled near Hicks Corner. When twelve years old she went to Seattle where she received her early education, later attending the Ellensburg Normal school. After teaching for a few years she attended the University of Washington, graduating from the then new school which had just been located on the present site. She taught for several years following in the Broadway High school, Seattle. She was married to A. J. McCourt in 1913, and lived for years on route 2, Ferndale. She was quite sick about a year ago, but recovered and was real healthy. With her husband they went to Los Angeles last September for Mr. McCourt's health. She was taken ill suddenly about two weeks ago and went to a hospital there. Her death was quite a blow to the husband, family and friends who thought she was enjoying good health. Besides her husband, she is survived by three brothers, James of Ferndale, Dave of Ferndale route 2 and W. H. Beatty of Seattle. Funeral services will be held Sunday at two at the Geo. A. Monroe chapel. Rev. J. W. Moles will officiate. Interment will take place in the Enterprise cemetery.
(From The Ferndale Record, January 19, 1928) Submitted by site coordinator.

McCREESH, Bernard (d. 1903)

McCULLY, Alexander (d. 1914)

Like a bolt from a clear sky came the news Tuesday forenoon of the death of Dr. McCully, who up to within a few hours before had been in his usual robust health. On Monday the Dr. had been about his work and during the evening he with his wife had visited the hall where the exhibits were being arranged for the fair the next day, later going with his family to a show in Everson. About midnight Dr. McCully complained of pain in the chest and chilliness, but it was not thought to be of a serious nature. The family arose at the usual time leaving the Dr. to rest for awhile. At ten o'clock on going to call him his wife found him cold in death.

Dr. McCully was born in St. Louis May 3, 1877, where most of his life was spent. Thirteen years ago he was married and his wife and two children mourn the loss of a loving husband and father. Two years ago Dr. McCully came to Washington and settled at Seattle where he remained until Dec. 1913 when he opened an office in Everson. In February his family came from Seattle and they established their home in Nooksack, in which home he died Tuesday October 20. During his short stay among us Dr. McCully has made a host of friends who admired him for his skill as a physician and for his manly qualities. The funeral occurred on Thursday afternoon from the M. E. church and was largely attended, Rev. L. R. Schultz preaching the sermon which was followed by a short talk from Rev. M. E. Ladieu, of the local A. C. church.
(From The Nooksack Reporter October 23, 1914) Submitted by site coordinator.

McCULLOUGH, Chester G. (d. 1929)

McCULLOUGH, Lillian (d. 1927)

McCULLOUGH, Thomas (d. 1928)

McCUSKER, John T. (d. 1902)

The Little Four Year Old Son of Mr. and Mrs. McCuskie Meets a Most Shocking Death.
One of the most dreadful accidents to occur in this city for many a day was that of the burning of the little son of Mr. and Mrs. McCuskie (sic) who lives in the north part of Blaine on A street. The father is the section boss of the British Columbia section north and was at his work when the accident occurred and the mother had gone up town to do some shopping for the family. The children with others of the neighborhood were playing out in the yard and had built a fire. In some unaccountable way the clothes of the little boy caught fire and before they could be extinguished almost every piece of garment was burned from the body. Dr. King was called at once as was also Doctors Guilford and Reeves and everything was done that was possible for medical skill but the injuries of the child were beyond human help. The terrible sufferings of the little fellow were eased and he passed away about eight hours after the accident. The funeral occurred Sunday and the body was placed in the city cemetery in the east part of the city. The sympathy of the community is with the parents and family in this their bereavement.
(From The Blaine Journal, May 2, 1902) Submitted by site coordinator.

McDERMOTT, John H. (d. 1902)

About five o'clock Tuesday morning the body of John Henry McDermott was found cold in death at the head of the stairs in the Reeves building. His death was due to heart failure as he had been a sufferer from this for some time. It is probable that he had started to his room and in the exertion of climbing the stairs had dropped down there and that the end came without a struggle. Deceased was thirty-six years of age and had been a resident of this city for the past year. He was a brother of Mrs. C. H. Hancock of this place and a native of California. His mother Mrs. A. J. Kilcoyne is also a resident of Blaine and lives with her daughter. He has a sister Mrs. R. M. Burnet residing in Dawson City. The funeral occurred Wednesday from the M. E. church, Rev. McGill officiating. The remains were placed at rest in the cemetery on the hill. The sympathy of the many friends of the family is with them in this their great loss.
(From The Blaine Journal, May 2, 1902) Submitted by site coordinator.

McDONALD, Alick A. (d. 1966)

Funeral services for Alick A. McDonald will be conducted at 1 p. m. Monday at the Jones Funeral Home. Mr. McDonald, 82, died in Seattle, Friday. A resident of Whatcom County from 1925 to 1932, Mr. McDonald had been a logging superintendent in British Columbia for many years. He was also employed by the U. S. Forest Service for several years and formerly owned and operated a motel in the Lynnwood area. He is survived by his widow Florence, of the family home, 535-13th East, Seattle; a son, Ronald, Lake Quinalt; a daughter, Mrs. Betty Healy, Seattle; three sisters, Mrs. Katherine Nickols, Susanville, Calif.; Mrs. Bell Stein, Medford, Ore., and Mrs. Elva Hall, Sebastopal, Calif., and five grandchildren. The Rev. Dr. Glenn C. Carlson will conduct the funeral services and burial will be in Bay View Cemetery.
(From The Bellingham Herald January 9, 1966)
Note: Obit in Seattle Times said he was born in Brownsville, OR. Relative: Tina Attig

McDONALD, Andrew (d. 1933)

Andrew McDonald, aged 89 years, and a resident of this city for the past twenty-nine years, passed away at the home of his son, O. H. McDonald, 2210 Ellis street, Thursday morning, January 12. Mr. McDonald leaves to survive him, three other sons, Ebenezer and James, of this city, and Percy, of Detroit; two daughters, Mrs. Ada Leavitt, of Maple Falls, Wash., and Mrs. Nettie Lee, of Winlock, Wash.; twenty-seven grandchildren and nineteen great grandchildren. Mr. McDonald was a night watchman at the E. K. Wood Lumber Mill for more than nineteen years. He was a Civil war veteran, having served as private in the 134th Ohio Infantry from 1861-1865. The body is being cared for at the Harlow-Hollingsworth funeral home, Holly at Forest street, and funeral services will be held Saturday, January 14, at 12:45 o'clock, with Rev. O. A. Quall officiating. Cremation will follow. Members of the J. B. Steadman post are invited to attend the service.
(From The Bellingham Herald, January 12, 1933) Submitted by site coordinator.

McDONALD, Fannie M. (d. 1942)

Fannie M. McDonald passed away at a local hospital Tuesday, March 10 1942. Mrs. McDonald is survived by one son Norman C. McDonald, two grandsons, Norman J. and Gerald C. McDonald and one sister Ida C. Miskelly, and one step son John F. McDonald. Her remains rest at the funeral home of Harlow-Hollingswoth where private funeral services will be conducted by Rev. W. Carl Calhoun Saturday March 14 at 3 pm. Cremation. Please omit flowers.
Submitted by JMcDonald@co.cochise.az.us

McDONALD, Gerald C. (d. 1991)

Jerry McDonald, age 71 of 380 East Pole Road, Lynden passed away December 27 1991 in Bellingham. He was born July 1920 on Lummi Island to Emily (misspelled - should be Emelie) and Norman McDonald and was a lifetime resident of Whatcom County. He received his grade school education on Lummi Island and graduated from Bellingham High School. After a short time in California, Jerry returned to Whatcom County and in 1943 he made Captain of the Chief Kwina - a 6-car ferry running between Lummi Island and Gooseberry Point. He was involved in plans to build the present Whatcom Chief and was Captain until he retired in 1976.

Jerry was a Charter member of the Lummi Island Volunteer Fire Department and served as fire commissioner for 17 years. After retirement, Jerry and wife Norma traveled to Alaska most summers and to Arizona during the winter months. Surviving is his wife, Norma and the family home, sons Robert and wife Vicky of Kent, Jim and wife Carol of Everett, Gary of Anchorage, daughter Marcia Ellingboe of Anchorage, seven grandchildren, four great-grandchildren, and one brother Bud McDonald and wife Zorka of Durham, Ca. He is also survived by Vern and Leona Hawley, parents of wife Norma. Memorial services were held on Lummi Island. Memorial gifts may be made to Fire District 11, Lummi Island.
Submitted by JMcDonald@co.cochise.az.us

McDONALD, James (d. 1922)

James McDonald, aged 61 years, beloved husband of Nellie McDonald, passed away Tuesday evening, December 26, 1922, after a brief illness. Mr. McDonald was a pioneer of Whatcom county, living here for the past thirty-three years, and has been engaged in the shingle business for the greater part of that time. At the time of his death he was president of the Clipper Shingle company, at Clipper, Wash. He was a member of the Church of the Assumption. Besides a host of friends, he leaves to mourn his loss, the widow, Mrs. Nellie McDonald; two sons, Ivan and John McDonald, of Clipper; three brothers, D. A. McDonald, of Clipper, and John and Andy McDonald, who reside in Canada. Funeral services (were) held Thursday morning, December 28, at 10 o'clock from the Church of the Assumption with Rev. Father James F. B_ott officiating. Interment made in the family plot in Bay View cemetery.
(From The Deming Prospector, December 29, 1922) Submitted by Reg Rittenberg

McDONALD, James C. (d. 1903)

James C. McDonald, who died at the Sister's hospital on Friday night, was born in 1847 in Dunlear, Meath county, Ireland. When four years old he came to America with his parents settling in Newark, New Jersey, later going to Seneca, New York. From Seneca he removed with his parents to Utica, Illinois, where he spent a large part of his life, being brought up on a farm. He learned the cooper's trade and was sent by his employers to Chicago, where eventually he left that profession and went into the restaurant business for himself in 1872. He continued in that business for a number of years, maintaining a large establishment known as McDonald's Ideal restaurant. He became very well known in that city and acquired a good business standing. He sold out in 1891 and removed with his family to Vermilion, South Dakota. Later he returned to Chicago to engage in the restaurant business, in which he continued until 1895, when he came to Bellingham Bay for his health. He spent a year and a half on Orcas island, coming to Whatcom in 1897 and engaged in the grocery business, from which he retired a year ago last spring. He conducted a grocery store on Elk street and for a time had a branch at Maple Falls, that being the first store opened in that town before it had railway connections. Mr. McDonald leaves a wife and two sons, Norman C., living in this city, and John E., who lives in Ogden, Utah. He was a member of the Baptist church, Royal Arch Masons and Ben Hur.
(From The Weekly Blade, October 28, 1903) Submitted by site coordinator.

McDONALD, Jane (d. 1929)

McDONALD, Martha J. (d. 1932)

Mrs. Martha J. McDonald, 1126 Seventeenth street, forty-nine years a Whatcom county resident, died this afternoon at her home, aged 82 years. She was a member of the First Christian church. Relatives surviving are the husband, Andrew McDonald; four sons; Oak, James, Ebb and Percy, Bellingham; two daughters Mrs. Nettie Lee, Winlock, and Mrs. Ada Leavitt, Maple Falls; seventeen grandchildren and eight great grandchildren. The Harlow-Hollingsworth funeral home has the body.
(From The Bellingham Herald, June 10, 1932) Submitted by Merrily Lawson.

McDONALD, Martin (d. 1933)

Martin McDonald, Sumas Last G.A.R. Member, Dies
Sumas, May 2 - Martin McDonald, 87, last veteran of the Civil war residing at Sumas, was laid at eternal rest in the Columbia Valley cemetery Tuesday morning, following funeral services in the Sumas Catholic church, with Father Benedict officiating. McDonald died Saturday after being in poor health for several months. To residents here it seems only yesterday that a group of nearly a score of graying veterans of the Union army gathered monthly at the postoffice to await their pension money. They were a good-natured lot and the stories spun of their days in the field found many listeners. But time began to take its toll. Last summer only two were left McDonald and Frank McClure. The latter's memory was failing and friends induced him to enter the soldiers's home at Orting, where he now resides. Martin McDonald was born in Pembroke, Ontario, in 1846, of Scottish parents. When 18 years of age he came to the United States and soon after enlisted in Company F, 196th regiment, Ohio infantry. After the war he claimed Mary Ann McGillis, of Pembroke, as a bride and they settled in the Middle West. Mr. and Mrs. McDonald came to Sumas in 1890. She died nine years ago. Surviving relatives are two daughters, Mrs. J. J. Cowley, who resided with and cared for her aged father; Mrs. F. Koehler, Maple Falls; one son, Jack, of Ontario, Canada; three sisters, Mrs. J. A. Kingsbury, Crookston, Minn.; Mrs. C. A. Foster, Pawska (sic), Okla.; Mrs. J. A. McGregor, of Minnesota; nineteen grandchildren and twelve great-grandchildren.Six grandsons, Paul, Lawrence, Mark; Max, Louis and Stephen Koehler, acted as pallbearers at the funeral.
(From The Bellingham Herald, May 2, 1933) Submitted by Merrily Lawson.

McDONALD, Melissa (d. 1929)

Mrs. McDonald Rites Arranged for Friday
Funeral services for Mrs. O. D. McDonald , former Bellingham and Blaine resident, who died at Sawtelle, Cal., last Friday, will be held at the George Monroe mortuary at Ferndale on Thursday at 1 p. m. Interment will occur in Woodlawn cemetery. Mrs. McDonald’s husband , who survives here, was for many years deputy collector of customs at Blaine and Bellingham.
(From The Bellingham Herald, December 31, 1929) Submitted by Merrily Lawson.

McDONALD, Nellie (d. 1953)

With the funeral Wednesday of Mrs. Nellie McDonald, Clipper, 86, the end of another colorful chapter in Whatcom county history will be written. Mrs. McDonald and her sister, Mrs. Dollie Rittenberg, who passed away in 1943, were the daughters of Colonel James Alexander Patterson, West Point graduate, prospector and pioneer who came to California in the gold rush of '49 and then into the Northwest in the Fraser River gold stampede in 1858. Shortly there after he staked out a claim in the fertile timber and valley area on the Nooksack in the north end of Whatcom county, cleared and developed it, raised cattle which he drove up the Caribou as food for the miners, and became one of the most colorful figures in the early days of the county. On the death of his Indian wife in the latter 1860's, Colonel Patterson went to Captain Henry Roeder and said he was willing to turn over his Nooksack river farm to anyone who would take his two small daughters. Captain Roeder sent him to Mrs. Phoebe Judson who took the girls and reared them as her own.

Their memories of the early days in Whatcom county, bear came to the Patterson home in search of food and cougar attacked their father's cattle. When friends were made with the Indians, when their father bought things mostly at the Indian trading post at the mouth of the Nooksack, but for supplies and clothing drove to Sehome where Ulysses Baxter had the first store, were subject of numerous Newspaper features and recountings at Old Settlers' meetings. In 1938 Mrs. McDonald and Mrs. Rittenberg, then 75 and 72, received the Old Settlers' cup given by Judge Jeremiah Neterer, Mrs. Rittenberg died in 1943 at the age of 80. Mrs. McDonald was born March 28, 1866, and in just four weeks (she died in a local hospital) would have attained 87 years. For 13 years under the century mark she had lived in Whatcom county. Her husband, John McDonald, died December 26, 1922. Her two son are John H. McDonald, Clipper, road engineer with the U.S. Forest Service, and J. Ivan McDonald, of Pasco. Funeral services will be held at 2 p.m. Wednesday in the Bingham - Dahlquist & Jerns Chapel, Rev. Harold Penhalurick, of the First Presbyterian church, officiating, with interment in Bay View cemetery.
Submitted by Reg Rittenberg

McDONALD, Ozias D. (d. 1942)

Ozias McDonald, Last Co. Civil War Vet, Passes
Time marches on too fast, and with this rush the Record this week chronicles the death of Ozias D. McDonald, 97, the last living member of the Grand Army of the Republic of this county. Mr. McDonald, who passed away Sunday at a hospital, had a long and colorful career. After serving four years with the 8th Kansas Infantry in the Civil War, he came to Washington, and served as senior vice commander of the G.A.R., department of Washington and Alaska, in 1914. For many years he was an active member of the former J. B. Steedman post of Bellingham.

He lived in Blaine for several years, and in 1897 he was appointed deputy collector of customs, moving to Bellingham where he lived until 1920. In late years he has lived for a short time in California, and near Laurel, besides Bellingham. He was a life member of the Bellingham Elks lodge and at Blaine. He was a Masonic master in 1914. Three sons and one daughter survive him, Emmett, route one, Ferndale; William of Santa Monica, and Walter of route one, Bellingham, and Mrs. Alice Andreasen, route one, Bellingham, and by twelve grandchildren, twenty-one great grandchildren and three great great grandchildren.
(From The Ferndale Record, July 23, 1942) Submitted by site coordinator.

McDONALD, Vera C. (d. 1938)

Vera Cecil McDonald, aged 57 years, beloved wife of Mr. William R. McDonald, Bellingham, Route 1, passed away at the family home Thursday, September 15, after several months' illness. Mrs. McDonald had resided in Whatcom county for the past thirty-three years and was a member of the Christian church at Lincoln, Kansas. Surviving relatives aside from Mr. McDonald include four daughters, Mrs. Graham Watson, West Los Angeles, Cal.; Mrs. George F. Miller, Mrs. C. Reed, Santa Monica, Cal.; Mrs. Paul Martin, Ventura, Cal.; mother, Mrs. Laura Rees, San Gabriel, Cal.; one sister and one brother, Mrs. Carol Cleveland, Los Angeles, Cal., and Mr. V. L. Rees, Seattle. Also two grandchildren. The remains are resting at the Bingham-Dahlquist Funeral Home where funeral services will be held Saturday morning, September 17, at 10:30 o'clock, with Rev. Joe Warner, pastor of the First Christian church, officiating. Interment will be made in Woodlawn cemetery. Mr. W. J. Sullivan, Mr. Ed Selstead, Mr. A. A. Stockton, Mr. E. J. Byrd, Mr. O. C. Barnard and Mr. K. E. Stockton will assist with the casket.
(From The Bellingham Herald, September 16, 1938)

McDONOUGH, Bernard M. (d. 1916)

Bernard M. McDonough, One of First White Men to Settle On Bay, Passes Away - Lived at Marietta Forty-Five Years.
Bernard M. McDonough, one of the first white men to settle on Bellingham bay near the present site of Marietta, died at St. Joseph's hospital last night at 9:30 o'clock, at the age of 89 years. Mr. McDonough came to Marietta forty-five years ago, shortly after the close of the civil war, in which he had served as a member of the volunteers from Illinois, and engaged in trading among the Indians. He built the first store at Marietta, a little frame building which stands at the mouth of the Nooksack river, on the beach facing the river and the bay, mute testimony to the days when all commerce was carried on by water.

The pioneer was born in Dublin, Ireland, in 1827? and emigrated to America in 1860. He is survived by no relatives, so far as is known, and has lived alone in his home at Marietta since the death of his wife, twelve years ago, until the encroachments of old age made it necessary to remove him to the local hospital about a month ago. The funeral will be held Monday morning at 10 o'clock from the Catholic church on the Lummi reservation. Father John Boulett will officiate at the funeral service.
(From The Bellingham Herald, December 16, 1916) Submitted by site coordinator.

McDONOUGH, Catherine (d. 1905)

Indians Pay Respect to Mrs. McDonough.
Marietta Pioneer, Recently Deceased, Was at One Time Teacher on the Reservation--Is Highly Honored by The Tribesmen.
The funeral services over the remains of Mrs. McDonough, the aged pioneer who died suddenly at her home at Marietta, held in the Indian church at Lummi yesterday, were impressive. Over thirty years ago Mrs. McDonough was one of the teachers in the Indian school and was held in reverence by the natives of the reservation. Practically all of the Indians of Lummi, Everson, Lynden, Goshen and Nooksack attended the funeral yesterday. The body was interred in the Indian reservation at the request of Mrs. McDonough, expressed by her prior to her death. As a mark of respect the Indians had her buried beside the old Lummi chief. This is the first instance in the county or the northwest when the Indians have permitted a white person to be interred in the cemetery with the bodies of the former tribesmen.
(From The Bellingham Herald, January 25, 1905) Submitted by Merrily Lawson.

McDOUGALL, Duncan (d. 1908)

Duncan McDougall, well known in Ferndale, a pioneer of the county and a resident of Mt. View for many years, died at his home last Monday as the result of old age. He was 83 years old and came to the west when the Frasier river gold excitement was at its height. Upon his failure to gather fortune there, he settled in this county. One brother, Alexander, is the only relative living. Deceased was born on Prince Edward Island, Feb. 27, 1825. Deceased was highly esteemed and one of the best known men in the county. The funeral sermon was preached by Rev. Clos and Monroe & Jackson conducted the interment at Enterprise Cemetery.
(From The Ferndale Record, October 30, 1908) Submitted by site coordinator.

McEACHERN, Alexander (d. 1908)

Alexander McEachern died at the Royal Columbian hospital, New Westminster, British Columbia, last Friday. Mr. McEachern was born in Northumberland county, New Brunswick, on June 6, 1845, of Scottish parents. Early in life he went to Maine and engaged in the lumber and hotel business. Later he went to Holyoke, Massachusetts, where he was connected with the Connecticut River Lumber Company. In 1881 he took a saw mill plant and went to Mexico and engaged in lumbering and milling for two years. In 1884 he went to Florida and started the first box factory in Orange county. Here he built up a good milling business and purchased an orange grove. The big frost caught him and he lost the greater part of his money thru the killing of the orange groves.

Mr. McEachern was a man whom misfortune only spurred on to greater efforts and disposing of his business in Florida he came to Washington and settled in Blaine in 1896. Here he again engaged in the lumber and milling business, which he followed until his death. He leaves a widow and step-daughter, Mrs. J. P. Goodfellow, in Blaine, two brothers and a sister in the east. The funeral services were conducted by Rev. Henderson, of the Presbyterian church of New Westminster and the remains were buried in the Sapperton cemetery on Sunday. Mr. McEachern was known in Blaine as an honest hard working man and had many friends here.
(From The Blaine Journal, February 14, 1908) Submitted by site coordinator.

McELMON, Beveridge K., Rev. (d. 1936)

Rites Tuesday For Beloved Missionary, Founder of First Presbyterian Church
Rev. Beveridge Knox McElmon, founder of many Presbyterian churches in the Pacific Northwest, including the First Presbyterian church, of Bellingham, of which he had been pastor emeritus since January 3, 1932, died at his home, 210 Oak street, Sunday, after a lengthy illness. He was 90 years of age and had lived in Bellingham fifty-three years. He was one of the most popular and indefatigable missionaries and ministers of the Gospel in the Northwest's early days. For years he was pastor of the First Presbyterian church, which originally stood at Maple and High streets. Funeral services will be held in that church Tuesday at 2 p. m., with the pastor, Dr. John Robertson Macartney, officiating. Until the services the remains will lie in state at the Harlow-Hollingsworth funeral home. Interment will occur in Bay View cemetery. The active casketbearers will be John Simpson, Joseph Galbraith, William Morrison, Walter Shanley, John A. Kellogg and John Gibson. Rev. McElmon is survived by four sons, William C. McElmon, J. B. McElmon and F. W. McElmon, all of Bellingham, and Gordon R. McElmon, of Blaine; one sister, Mrs. Robert Burns, of Everson, and three grandchildren.

Mr. McElmon was born near Folly county, Nova Scotia, September 29, 1845. He took an arts course at Dalhousie college, and graduated from Pine Hill Theological Seminary, Halifax, Nova Scotia, in April, 1877. He was licensed to preach in May, 1877, by the Presbytery of Trure, N. S. The same year, June 19, he married Mary Elizabeth Chisholm, in Greenwood Presbyterian church, Lower Wentworth, N. S. Coming west in that year, Mr. McElmon was ordained to the ministry, November 1877, by the Presbytery of British Columbia, being assigned to Comox, Vancouver Island. He remained in that field until August, 1882. Beginning with his ministry at Comox, Rev. McElmon's career and gospel activities were interwoven with the history of Presbyterianism in the Pacific Northwest.

In August, 1883, the zealous missioner was commissioned by the Board of Home Missions to work in Whatcom and Skagit counties, the nearest Presbyterian church then being at Snohomish. He organized four churches in Whatcom county and one in Skagit. All are active today, except one, Bethany, which was disbanded several years ago. In July, 1891, Mr. McElmon transferred his labors to Cloverdale, B. C., where he took charge of mission work. He organized two churches during his five years there. In 1895 he was appointed as state supply at Deming, Acme and Kendall. During that time he built the Deming church. Later he was stationed at Kendall and Maple Falls. He served also Clearbrook, Fairhaven and Alger and built churches at each place.

Meanwhile the name of the pastor, who impressed all with whom he came in contact as a Christian gentleman and faithful evangelical worker, became a household word in Whatcom county. Unassuming, mild mannered and kindly, and always manifesting a personal interest in his parishioners' welfare, Mr. McElmon was regarded by many as an ideal type of pastor. He was honored also as a brother, true friend and loyal fellow-worker. Coming to Bellingham fifty-three years ago, with his young wife and four small children, he landed on the beach in a skiff, about opposite the "Orchard" tract on State street. He passed through many arduous years thereafter. It is recalled that the buckskin horse on which he rode on his ministerial duties was a familiar site on the roads and by-paths of Whatcom county. He made himself useful on his rounds, lending a hand with hammer and saw as well as with hymn book and Bible. Despite his mild manner, Mr. McElmon was courageous. He proved this one day in rescuing a young man from drowning in the Nooksack river near Goshen at a Sunday school picnic. In short, Rev. McElmon was always ready to serve, and that he served well is attested by the churches and congregations he leaves behind him, notably the First Presbyterian, which he saw grow from a small church with about thirteen members to a congregation with a membership of more than 500. The esteem in which Mr. McElmon was held in Bellingham was manifested in part by a celebration held in his honor in the First Presbyterian church on his eighty-ninth birthday. Tributes paid his character and his work were numerous and sincere.
(From The Bellingham Herald, June 29, 1936) Submitted by site coordinator.

McELMON, Emma M. (d. 1888)

McELMON, Mary E. (d. 1921)

After an illness of several months Mrs. Mary Elizabeth McElmon, one of Bellingham's most lovable women, whose life was devoted largely to good works in and out of the church, died at her home, 616 Elk street, early last evening. She was the wife of the Rev. B. K. McElmon, who is the pioneer Presbyterian minister of this county and who for some time was pastor of the First Presbyterian church, of Bellingham.

Mrs. McElmon had resided in Whatcom county thirty-eight years and was one of the most faithful church workers of this community. She made friends wherever she went and her passing will be regretted in every part of Northwestern Washington. Mrs. McElmon was born in Wentworth, Nova Scotia, January 9, 1843. She was the fourth daughter of Mr. and Mrs. J. W. P. Chisholm. On June 19, 1877, she was married to the Rev. B. K. McElmon, and the following August accompanied him to Comox, B. C., where he had been called to labor. In August, 1883, the family removed to Sehome, now a part of Bellingham, and with the exception of a few years at Deming [also Nooksack], where her husband filled a pastorate, she had lived in this city ever since. Mrs. McElmon was a wonderful help to her husband in his work, taking an interest in all phases of it and assisting him in any way she could. She was the organizer and first president of the Ladies' Aid society of the First Presbyterian church of Bellingham and took an active part in church work as long as she was able to do so.

Mrs. McElmon is survived by her husband and four sons, W. C. McElmon, J. B. McElmon, Fred W. McElmon and Gordon R. McElmon; three granddaughters; four nieces, Mrs. G. L. Fisher and Mrs. R. I. Morse, Bellingham; Mrs. L. B. McClellan and Mrs. R. B. Boucher, Vancouver, B. C., and four nephews, J. G. Chisholm and Amos A. Chisholm, Bellingham; Ross Chisholm, Chilliwack, B. C., and Palmer Fraser, Vernon, B. C. The body is in the care of Arthur C. Harlow. The funeral will be held at the First Presbyterian church, probably on Thursday.
(From The Bellingham Herald, October 25, 1921) Submitted by site coordinator.

McFARLAND, Ida M. (d. 1914)

Ida M. Hawkins was born in Osage County, Missouri, March 30th, 1873 and died in Blaine, Washington, September 25, 1904 [1914]. On Feb. 14, 1892 she was married to Chas. McFarland at Mt. View, Benton County, Mo. and the young couple made their home in their native state until they moved West and settled in Blaine, in 1902. For a short time the family lived in Ferndale and after that in Haynie for five years since which time they have lived in our city.

Mrs. McFarland joined the church a number of years ago and was an earnest Christian, her many deeds of love and mercy testifying of her faith. She was much loved in the neighborhood and her untimely departure is mourned by a large circle of friends. Through her going the community has lost one whose counsel will be missed; the Church a loyal and faithful member; the husband and children a devoted wife and mother. The funeral service was held in the Methodist Church, the Rev. Robt. C. Hartley preaching to a large and sympathetic audience from the text, "Precious in the sight of the Lord is the death of His saints," Psalm 116:15. Of the immediate family there are left to mourn her loss her aged father, seven brothers, three sisters and five children: Mrs. Ella Wilder, Mabel, Fern, Robert and Richard. The sympathy of the entire community goes out to the bereaved family in this their hour of grief.
(From The Blaine Journal, October 2, 1914) Submitted by site coordinator.

McGINNIS, Emery (d. 1905)

   News reached the city yesterday morning of the killing of Emery McGinnis on Monday afternoon, while on a hunting trip on the headwaters of the Nooksack with his eldest son Everett and Willis Watrous. He was accidentally shot by Everett McGinnis, and the incident seems not to have been one of those common to the hunting season so much as a strange trick of fate, which led one naturally careful to commit an act of tragic carelessness. The full particulars of the affair, as told by young Everett are as follows:
   "We were camping and hunting in the foothills beyond Wickersham, at the headwaters of the south fork of the Nooksack, and just this side of the Twin Sister mountains. Father was feeling ill on Sunday, and so when we started out to find a new camping ground on Monday morning, I insisted on carrying his pack. We went down stream, and about noon I felt so tired from the weight of the double pack that I insisted I could go no further. Father was feeling better at that time, and said that the camping ground was only a half mile further ahead and that he would go ahead and light the fire while we rested. When we had gone a few hundred feet; he shouted back that he saw fresh deer signs, but we paid no particular attention to this. We stayed where he had left us for possibly a quarter of an hour, and then we heard a crackling of the brush in the direction my father had gone. Willis and I both looked but could see nothing, and as we turned the noise stopped. In a moment we heard it again, and both jumped to our feet and slipped cartridges into our rifles. Looking down stream I saw some gray object exactly resembling a deer going over the cut bank of the river, which at that place is possibly four feet high. I threw up the rifle and took a quick shot without sighting, and then waited for the deer as I supposed, to appear again. I saw nothing, however, and running to the spot where the object had jumped, we found father lying on his face. We saw at once that he had been shot, for his lips were torn by the bullet, which had entered the back of his head and come out his mouth.
   "Even now I cannot understand what made father act as he did. I feel sure that he must have wanted to play a prank on us by getting us to go on a false scent after deer, for we saw none of the fresh signs that he had told us about. He must have been watching us from the brush, as we found his pack a little way down stream and he had not gone one to the camping ground at all. I have hunted with father ever since I have been old enough to shoot, and always before this he had been extremely careful. It is beyond me how he came to put himself so in the way of being fired at when he knew that I hardly ever miss at close range. We knew that there were no other hunters on the mountain and that a moving object, unless it was one of our party, could only be some game. It was the most unexpected and causeless thing in the world for father to have come back and tried to hide as he did, and the only explanation I can think of is, that he was trying to make us think there were deer in the neighborhood and tempt us to go out after them."
   Everett, though self-controlled, is evidently greatly shocked by the accident that deprived him of his father. He remarks, as a rather peculiar circumstance, that both he and Mr. McGinnis had felt that something would happen on the trip and that it would be unfortunate. Before going McGinnis bade his friends good-bye, and during the trip he seemed anxious and was continually cautioning the boys to be careful and telling them what to do if one of the party should be killed in the mountains.
   This morning Everett McGinnis and seven others will leave for the scene of Mr. McGinnis' death and bring the body to the city. The boys were, of course, unable to bring the body with them, and could, at best partially bury it to protect it from molestation. The party will be at least five days on the trip and will not return before next Monday night.
Pioneer of Bellingham
Mr. McGinnis was a pioneer of the city, having come here in 1883, when the town of Whatcom was a place of 500 inhabitants. For a period of eighteen years he has been in the real estate and insurance business in the city, and was, at the time of his death, the representative in Bellingham of the New York Life Insurance Company, being one of their most efficient ages in the Western field. He leaves a family of six, his wife, Mrs. Maggie McGinnis; three sons - Everett, John and Frank - and two daughters - Myrtle L. (Mrs. C. J. Hildebrand) and Bessie.
(From The Bellingham Reveille, August 31, 1905) Submitted by site coordinator.

McGRATH, Edward (d. 1929)

Mr. Edward McGrath, age 76 years, 6 months, was born in Aspin, Nova Scotia, July 24, 1852. He spent his boyhood at that place. In 1879 he went to California and four years later came to the West, settling in Whatcom county, near the present town of Nooksack. He was married to Miss Annie Gillies of Nooksack on July 14, 1886. To this union were born five children; four sons and one daughter, all living. John G., of Seattle; G. Bryden, of Nooksack; Esther, of Lynden; W. Hershel, of Bellingham; Ambrose, of Burlington. He is also survived by five brothers; Dan, of Boston; James, of Aspin, N. S.; Matthew, of Great Falls, Mont.; Chas. A., of Nighthawk, and Thomas, of Seattle, and one sister in Boston, and nine grandchildren.
(From The Nooksack Sentinel, January 31, 1929) Submitted by site coordinator.

Well-Known Lynden Man and Churchworker Dies.
LYNDEN, Jan. 25. - Edward McGrath passed away at the home of his daughter, Mrs. Dave Brune, at the age of 76 years and 6 months. He was stricken with pneumonia Sunday after an attack of influenza, and died at 4:30 Thursday morning. Edward McGrath was born at Aspin, Nova Scotia on July 24, 1852, the eldest of nine children. There he spent his early years and in 1870 went with his brother, Thomas, to Leadville, Colo., where mining interested him until 1883 when he came to Nooksack, Whatcom county, where he has spent his life since except four years in Yakima county and eight years in Montana, with the past five years in Lynden. On July 14, 1886, he was united in marriage with Miss Annie Gillies, of Nooksack, by Rev. B. K. McElmon, and to this union were born five children, all of whom were present at his passing, John G., of Seattle; G. Bryden, of Nooksack; W. H., of Bellingham; Ambrose, of Burlington, and Mrs. Esther Brune, of Lynden, with whom he made his home since the death of his wife three years ago. Besides his children he is survived by nine grandchildren and five brothers: Dan, of Boston, Mass.; James, of Aspin, Nova Scotia; Matthew, of Great Falls, Mont.; Charles A., of Night Hawk, Wash.; Thomas, of Seattle, and one sister in Boston.

Mr. McGrath will be remembered by his very active church work and since young manhood was an elder in the Presbyterian church, although he later transferred his membership to the Lynden M. E. church. He was instrumental in building up Sunday schools in the rural communities where he made his home at different times and was always a deep Bible student. Funeral services will be conducted from the Methodist church at Nooksack by Rev. G. DeMotts on Saturday afternoon at 2 o'clock and burial will be made in the family plot in the Nooksack cemetery, with the John C. Gillies Undertaking Company in charge.
(From The Bellingham Herald, January 25, 1929) Submitted by site coordinator.

McGRATH, John (d. 1913)

John McGrath, one of the early settlers of this section passed away last Saturday morning at his home in this city. He had suffered for several months from stomach trouble. The funeral services were held from the Catholic church Monday morning, Rev. Father Boulet officiating. The deceased was born in Ireland and leaves a wife and step-son, Chas. Bertsch.
(From the Blaine Journal, July 18, 1913) Submitted by site coordinator.

McGRAW, James M. (d. 1916)

James M. McGraw, father of Charles and Ollie McGraw, died quite suddenly at the home of his daughter, Mrs. Markham, here Sunday night. He had been ill a short time but not seriously, it was thought. Deceased was over 70 years of age, having been born at Lone Jack, Mo., Nov. 4, 1837, and was a veteran of the Civil war. The funeral services were held at the home at one o'clock Wednesday afternoon and burial made in the Blaine cemetery.
(From The Blaine Journal, March 10, 1916) Submitted by site coordinator.

McGUIRE, Eliza J. (d. 1935)

Eliza Jane McGuire, aged 91, passed away at her home at Van Zandt Sunday, July 7, following a short illness. Mrs. McGuire had been a resident of this county for the past 46 years and was a member of the Christian Science church of this city and of the Mother Church in Boston, also a class student. Surviving relatives are one son, C. C. McGuire, Bellingham; three daughters, Mrs. Carrie Shulmer, Van Zandt, Mrs. C. E. Bakewell and Mabel McGuire of Oakland, Cal.; three brothers, E. F. William, Bellingham, Pyatt Williams, in Idaho; also one sister, Mrs. Belle Hatcher, of Albany, Ore., eleven grandchildren and five great-grandchildren. The remains are resting at the funeral home of Harlow-Hollingsworth, where Christian Science services will be read by Mr. Ralph Kooken Tuesday, July 9, at 1:30 p.m. Interment will follow in Bay View cemetery.
(From The Bellingham Herald, July 8, 1935) Image

McGUIRE, Marcellus (d. 1912)

Marcellus McGuire, aged 68 years, passed away at St. Luke's hospital Sunday afternoon at 4 o'clock after a brief illness. Mr. McGuire was a veteran of the Civil war, and a resident of Whatcom county for more than 23 years, most of which was spent at his home at Van Zandt, this county, where he had held the position of postmaster for several years immediately preceding his death. Mr. McGuire served throughout the war of the rebellion in company F, Eighth regiment, Iowa volunteer infantry. He was a member of the Grand Army of the Republic, holding his membership in J. B. Steedman post No. 24, of this city. Mr. McGuire is survived by his widow, Mrs. Eliza J. McGuire, of Van Zandt, Wash.; one son, Clifton C. McGuire, a forest ranger residing at Glacier, Wash., and three daughters, Mrs. Catherine E. Gilmore, of Van Zandt, Wash.; Mrs. Mabel O'Northern, of Centralia, Wash., and Mrs. Cora Harrison, whose home is at Vancouver, B. C. Funeral services will be conducted at the chapel of Mock & Hill, 1051-1055 Elk street, Tuesday afternoon at 2 o'clock, under the auspices of J. B. Steedman post No. 24, G. A. R. Interment is to take place in Bay View cemetery, where the burial service according to the ritual of the Grand Army of the Republic will be conducted. All veterans of the Civil war and members of the Woman's Relief corps, especially members of J. B. Steedman post No. 24, G. A. R., have been requested to attend the funeral. The funeral car will leave from the corner of Kentucky and Pacific streets Tuesday afternoon at 1:30 o'clock, conveying the funeral party to the chapel.
(From The Bellingham Herald April 1, 1912) Submitted by site coordinator.

McHUGH, Michael S. (d. 1922)

Michael McHugh, 97, Civil War Veteran, Is Called
At the age of 97 years Michael Stafford McHugh, who fought in the Civil war, died at a local hospital May 16, is the oldest person to pass away in Bellingham this year. He is survived by one son, M. L. McHugh, 1311 Mill avenue. Funeral services will be held Saturday at 1:30 at the Whitfield-Mark parlors. Interment will be made in Bay View cemetery.
(From The Bellingham Herald, May 18, 1922) Submitted by Merrily Lawson.

McINTOSH, Donald (d. 1913)

Donald McIntosh, aged 81 years, passed away at a local hospital Tuesday afternoon at 1 o'clock after a lingering illness. Mr. McIntosh has been a resident of this city for six years, his home being at Whatcom falls station on the lake car line. He came to this city with his wife from Rhinelander, Wis. Mr. McIntosh is survived by his wife, Mrs. Mary McIntosh; three sons, Alfred, of Larson station; Rensforth, of Rhinelander, Wis., and Edward McIntosh whose home is at Whatcom falls station; also four daughters, Mrs. Alma McNeil, of Cleveland, O.; Mrs. A. H. Smith, of Wahl, this county; Mrs. Fannie McCloud, of Vancouver, B. C., and Mrs. Alice Fitzgerald, of Wolcott, N. Y. There are also nineteen grandchildren and two great-grandchildren surviving Mr. McIntosh. Funeral services will be conducted at the chapel of Mock & Harlow, 1051-1055 Elk street, Thursday afternoon, September 4, at 2:30 o'clock, the Rev. G. C. Squire, of the Methodist Episcopal church, officiating. Interment will be in Bay View cemetery. The funeral car will leave from the Whatcom falls station on the lake line Thursday afternoon, September 4, at 2 o'clock, conveying the funeral party to the chapel.
(From The Bellingham Herald, September 3, 1913) Submitted by site coordinator.

McKEEN, Abner (d. 1920)

DIED, Sunday, Oct. 17, Abner McKeen, aged 76 years, 6 months and 2 days. Mr. McKeen was born in Maine, Feb. 15, 1844 and moved to Missouri with his parents when a young boy. At the age of 25 he was married to Mary Rutter of Steelville, Missouri. In 1872 he came to LaConner, Wash., where he lived till 1884, when he moved to Point Roberts, where he lived till the past summer when he came here to live with his son, George. For months he has been very feeble and the end was not unexpected. At one time he was a member of the government surveying party which surveyed the international boundary line here. He was a man of kind disposition and loved by everyone. The funeral was held at the church here Tuesday afternoon and the remains laid to rest in the little cemetery. He leaves to mourn his loss an aged wife, one daughter, Mrs. William Taylor of Point Roberts, and two sons, Henry of Vancouver, B. C., and George of this place and 16 grandchildren.
(From The Blaine Journal October 22, 1920) Submitted by site coordinator.

McKINNON, Duncan (d. 1900)

One of the pioneer land marks of Blaine passed away at the St. Lukes hospital, Thursday morning in the person of Duncan McKinnon. Mr. McKinnon has been a resident of this county for the past twenty years, and at one time was in comfortable circumstances. Reverses and unprofitable investments reduced his means so that at the time of his death he was in straitened circumstances. General debility and the result of a fall he recently sustained were the cause of his death. "Scotty," as he was prominently known had a host of friends and was perhaps, his own worst enemy. A sister in Scotland is his only surviving relative so far as known.
(From The Blaine Journal, June 22, 1900) Submitted by site coordinator.

McLAIN, Geraldine (d. 1934)

Funeral services for Geraldine E McLain, 80 years, who passed away at her home, 2421 Williams street, Sunday afternoon will be held at the Ferndale Congregational church Tuesday afternoon, March 27, at 2 o'clock, conducted by the Rev. Dwight Smith. Burial will follow in the Bay View cemetery under the direction of the Monroe Mortuary at Ferndale. Mr. and Mrs. McLain came to Washington in 1890. Mrs. McLain's husband, the late Minor McLain was for many years postmaster of Ferndale. Surviving relatives, include two daughters, Mrs. Harriet E. Keyes, of Anacortes, and Mrs. Antoinette M. Hood, of Bellingham; two sons, Minor E. McLain, of Fresno, Cal., and Smith E. McLain, of Seattle; also seven grandchildren and five great-grandchildren. Mrs. McLain was a member of Sehome chapter No. 17, Order of Eastern Star, Chief Whatcom chapter, Daughters of the American Revolution, Activities Rebekah lodge of Ferndale, and First Congregational church of Bellingham.
(From The Bellingham Herald, March 26, 1934) Submitted by Merrily Lawson.

McLAIN [McLEAN], Minor (d. 1930)

Several Ferndale residents went into Bellingham Tuesday afternoon to pay their last respects to Minor McLean, for seventeen years postmaster in this community. He passed away September 9, at Steamboat Springs, Colo., at the age of 86 years. Ritualistic services were held at the funeral home Tuesday by J. B. Steadman G. A. R. post of Bellingham. Mr. McLean came to this county in 1889, and many an old-timer will remember him as a business man and postmaster. He resigned in 1914. Mr. McLean was a member of the G. A. R. when it built the lodge building in Ferndale which still is standing. He was a member of the Odd Fellows lodge. Besides his widow, Mrs. Geraldine E. McLean of Bellingham, he is survived by two sons, two daughters, a sister and eight grandchildren.
(From The Ferndale Record, September 18, 1930) Submitted by site coordinator.

McLAUGHLIN, Daniel W. (d. 1924)

Former Resident of Maple Falls Passes
Daniel Webster McLaughlin, aged 70 years, beloved husband of Sarah O. McLaughlin, passed away at the family home 318 Chestnut street, Thursday morning, June 26, after a lingering illness. Mr. McLaughlin had been a resident of Bellingham and Whatcom county for the past twenty years and leaves a host of friends who will sadly mourn his passing. He is survived by his widow, Mrs. Sarah McLaughlin and three sons and five daughters, George W., Clifford J. and Earl C. McLaughlin; Mrs. E. L. Crosslin, Mrs. J. E. Farley, Mrs. J. S. Kiehl and Mrs. J. L. Yelton of Bellingham, and Mrs. George Hull of Auburn, Wash.; one brother, J. S. McLaughlin of Mankato, Minn., one sister, Mrs. Lolo Franklin, Des Moines, Iowa; ten grandchildren and two great grandchildren also survive. Funeral services were held Sunday afternoon at 1:30, from the Hollingsworth funeral home in Bellingham, conducted by the Christian Science Society, and interment was made in Bay View cemetery. Mr. McLaughlin with his family resided for several years on his ranch two miles west of Maple Falls and was well and favorably known here. The surviving members of the family have the heartfelt sympathy of many friends here in their sad bereavement.
(From The Deming Prospector, July 4, 1924) Submitted by site coordinator.

McLAUGHLIN, Georgia M. (d. 1922)

Mrs. Georgia M. McLaughlin, aged 26 years, passed away at the home of her parents, Mr. and Mrs. C. W. Allen, 914 Harris avenue, on the morning of Thursday, February 23, after an illness of two years. Mrs. McLaughlin had resided in this city for three years. She is survived by the husband, Clifford McLaughlin; one son and one daughter of 5 and 6 years; parents, Mr. and Mrs. C. W. Allen; two brothers and three sisters, Mrs. C. C. Freeman, Concrete, Wash.; Mrs. H. Rose, Miss Madge Allen and Elmer and Sidney Allen, of Bellingham. Funeral services will be held Sunday, February 26, at 10 o'clock a. m. from the service parlors of Harry O. Bingham, 120-122 Prospect street, with Rev. B. K. McElmon officiating. Interment will be made in the Kendall cemetery.
(From The Bellingham Herald, February 24, 1922) Submitted by Debbie deHoog

McLAUGHLIN, Maud (d. 1988)

Graveside service for Maud McLaughlin, age 93, of 1906 Broadway, will be Mon. May 16, 10 A.M. Bayview Cemetery with Rev. Grant Whipple, The Firs, officiating. Mrs. McLaughlin passed away Fri. May 13, 1988. A lifetime Whatcom County resident, she is survived by 2 daughters, Myrna & husband Jack Postlewait of Sedro Woolley & Gail Stanley of City; 6 grandchildren, Elaine & Husband Dan Sofie, Pete & wife Mary Postelwait, Randy & wife Lorie Postelwait, Diane & husband Denny Harrington, Ray & wife Sharon Stanley, Dan & wife Julie Stanley, all of City; 14 grandchildren; numerous nieces & nephews. The family suggest memorials to Medic I, 1200 Dupont St., No. 1A, City 988225 or your favorite charity. Jones Funeral Home.
Submitted by Debbie deHoog

McLEAN, Archie M. (d. 1925)

Archie M. McLean, aged 65 years, who has been a resident of Deming and Whatcom county for 30 years passed away Sunday afternoon at his home about four miles east of Deming. A young lady of the family who made their home with him was the only one at home, and on entering the living room she found him lying on the floor by the side of his chair. She immediately informed the neighbors and Coroner Dr. Max Mehlig was called and pronounced death due from apoplexy. The remains were taken to the Homer Mark mortuary, Bellingham, where funeral services were held on Thursday afternoon at 2:30 and interment made in Bayview cemetery. Mr. McLean is survived by two brothers, Hugh of Edmonton, Alta., and Duncan of Wharton?, Canada.
(From The Deming Prospector, July 10, 1925) Submitted by site coordinator.

McLEAN, Michael J. (d. 1903)

McLEOD, Christine F. (d. 1892)

Miss Christine Forbes McLeod, aged 22 years, 7 months and 17 days, died at 12:45 o'clock a. m. yesterday at the family residence, corner of Twenty-first and Douglas streets, in this city. Although not unexpected, the announcement of the death of Miss McLeod was a painful shock to the large number of friends in Fairhaven and New Whatcom. She came to this city with her family from Manitoba about two years ago, and was a teacher in the first primary department of the Central school, New Whatcom, until compelled by sickness to leave the school room several weeks since. She was a young lady possessed of rare graces of mind and heart and unusual personal charms. No death has ever occasioned more poignant grief among a large circle of friends in this community. The flags on all the school buildings of New Whatcom were placed at half mast yesterday out of respect to the memory of the deceased, and a meeting of the teachers was held at the Central school in the afternoon to make arrangements for participating in the funeral.

Mr. John Morris, the affianced of the deceased, arrived at her bedside Monday. A brother from Manitoba is expected today or tomorrow, and the father will arrive from Port Angeles this morning. The funeral will leave the Presbyterian church Thursday afternoon at 3 o'clock. Friends of the family are invited to attend.
(From The Fairhaven Herald, May 8, 1892) Submitted by site coordinator.

McLEOD, Katie R. (d. 1925)

After an illness of several weeks Mrs. Katie Rae McLeod, widow of the late David McLeod, one of the leaders in the Whatcom County Dairymen's association, died Wednesday evening at her home, 315 Potter street, aged 53 years. She had lived in the county since 1890, residing for many years on the McLeod road, from which she removed about two months ago. Mrs. McLeod was president of the Heather club and a member of the First Presbyterian church.

The surviving relatives include two daughters, Elizabeth C. and Katherine June; two sons, Rae and George F., all of Bellingham; one sister, Mrs. Frank Gardner, Scotland, and three brothers, John Rae, California; Michael Rae, city and James Rae, British Columbia. Mrs. McLeod leaves numerous friends. Funeral services will be held at A. C. Harlow's mortuary home Friday at 2 p. m., with the Rev. E. H. Gelvin officiating. Interment will be made in Bay View cemetery beside the remains of her husband, who died March 31, 1924. The active pallbearers will be C. C. Davis, Ralph P. Loomis, J. A. Hood, H. B. Carroll jr., A. Pancoast and David Ireland.
(From The Bellingham Herald, June 4, 1925) Submitted by site coordinator.

McMAHON, Lyda (d. 1927)

Mrs. John McMahon Passes After Long Illness.
Ending an illness of several months, Mrs. Lyda McMahon, 43, of 324 State street, wife of John McMahon, general superintendent of the Bloedel Donovan Lumber Mills, died at her home Wednesday evening. Mrs. McMahon was prominent in church, club and fraternal circles. She was a member of the Assumption church, where funeral services will be held Saturday at 9 a.m. with the Rev. Father James F. Barrett officiating. Interment will follow in Bay View cemetery under Arthur C. Harlow's direction. Mrs. McMahon was also a member of the Catholic Daughters of America, Aftermath club, Woman's Music club, Women of Rotary, and the Mothers' club of Phi Delta Theta. She had lived here twenty years.
Leaves Four Sons.
Aside from the husband, Mrs. McMahon is survived by four sons, one daughter, her mother, six sisters, four brothers and several nieces and nephews. The sons are Clem, a student at the University of Washington, and Paul, Jack and Richard, living here. The daughter is Mary Elizabeth, at home, Mrs. Anna Bonney, the mother, resides here. The sisters are Mrs. Nellie Babcock, of Los Angeles, Cal., Mrs. Isabelle Stekl, Baraboo, Wis., Mrs. Emma Murphy, Marshfield, Wis., Mrs. Susie Moore, Washeau, Wis., Miss Beatrice O'Donnell, Bellingham, and Mrs. Ruby Briggs, Monico, Wis. The brothers are John Green, Monico, Wis., Ed Green, Lake Worth, Fla., James Green, Antico, Wis., and Raymond Green, of Bellingham. Jack Green, of Bellingham, is a nephew.
(From The Bellingham Herald, March 17, 1927) Copied by Merrily Lawson.

McMASTER, Edward J. (d. 1933)

Funeral services for Edward Joseph McMaster, aged 77 years, beloved husband of Ida H. McMaster, who passed away at the family home, 1306 East Maplewood avenue, Wednesday, May 31, will be held at the Cathedral chapel of the Homer Mark Mortuary Friday afternoon, June 2, at 2:30 o'clock with the Rev. Mrs. Ethel L. Deemer, of the Four Square Gospel church, officiating. Interment will be made in the family plot in Woodlawn cemetery. Mr. McMaster was a member of the Four Square Gospel church and had resided in Bellingham and vicinity for the past thirty-two years. Surviving relatives, besides his widow, are one daughter, Mrs. James R. Leith, city; one son, George E. McMaster, city; one sister, Mrs. Jane Kaster, Canton, Minn.; three brothers, John McMaster, Canton, Minn.; George McMaster, Lanesboro, Minn.; and David McMaster, Rhame, N. D., and three grandchildren.
(The Bellingham Herald, June 1, 1933) Copied by Merrily Lawson.

McMILLIN, Henry H. (d. 1923)

Henry Horace McMillin, a resident of Ferndale since October 1901, died Friday at the family home in Griffintown, after an illness of several years. His last illness came on in June of this year and, while he showed promise of recovery following an operation about a month ago, his condition again became worse about Sept. 1 and his death followed. Mr. McMillin was a mill wright, pattern maker and carpenter and he followed the carpenter trade after coming here. At one time he served on the Ferndale council and in the past two years was justice of the peace in this precinct.

Mr. McMillin was born Jan. 21, 1860 in Schuyler county, Missouri. He was married to Millie A. Botts June 3, 1895, in Sedalia, Missouri and to them two children, John O., and Eunice, were born. The family came west to Bellingham in July, 1897. Mr. McMillin was employed there as a millwright at the Earl mill three years. He later worked as pattern maker for Burpee & Letzen, coming here in 1901. Mrs. McMillin and two children survive and a brother resides in California. Funeral services were held Sunday at 2 o'clock from Monroe's chapel, Rev. A. F. Palmer officiating. Burial was made in Enterprise cemetery.
(From The Ferndale Record, September 14, 1923) Submitted by site coordinator.

McPHERSON, George (d. 1923)

George McPherson, brother of Mrs. John H. Milhollin, died suddenly at the Milhollin home south of California creek Saturday afternoon last at 2:30 just after he had back the car out prepatory to starting for town. Heart failure was the cause of death. Mr. McPherson was 73 years of age, and while his home was at Brewster, Wash., he spent much of his time here with his sister during the summer. He was one of the early pioneers of Blaine, having come to this section about 35 years ago. Many years ago he went with his brother, Peter, to the Okanogan country and settled. Funeral services were held yesterday afternoon at 2:30 in Potter's undertaking parlors in charge of the Masonic lodge, of which he was a member, and burial made in the Blaine cemetery. Those surviving him are his daughter, Mrs. Shipp of Tacoma, a son, William, of Pendleton, Ore., a brother, Peter McPherson, of Brewster, his sister, Mrs. John H. Milhollin, of Blaine.
(From The Blaine Journal, September 27, 1923) Submitted by site coordinator.

McPHERSON, Marquis A. (d. 1914)

Death came to another of Whatcom county's pioneers last Friday afternoon, when Marquis A. MacPherson, after an illness of several months, passed away at his home near Lynden. Mr. MacPherson contracted a severe cold during the winter and although his vitality was remarkable for one of his years, he was unable to overcome its effects, and for several weeks he had been confined to his bed. During all of his illness he was tenderly ministered to by his faithful and loving wife.

Funeral services were held at the Methodist church at two o'clock on Monday afternoon, the Rev. C. E. Hodge and Rev. Herbert Jones officiating. Members of the W. R. C. attended in a body and the church auditorium was filled with friends of the deceased. A choir composed of Mrs. Ireland, Mrs. Eva Thompson and Mr. D. L. Steffe, with Mrs. Jamison at the organ, rendered appropriate musical selections. A profusion of beautiful flowers sent by sympathetic friends, were arranged about the casket and altar. The pallbearers, all old-time friends of the deceased, were Messrs. Rusco, Pym, Wampler, Baker, Price and Jones. Interment was in Lynden cemetery.

Besides the widow, the deceased leaves one daughter, Mrs. Scrimsher, who resides in Alaska, a brother Frank MacPherson, who left Lynden a few years ago to make his home in Oregon, and a half-brother, Stephen MacPherson, who lives in Bellingham, and who was at the bedside of his relative for several days before the end came. The sympathy of the community is extended to the bereaved family.

Marquis A. MacPherson was born in North Carolina on June 10, 1834. On June 18, 1860, he was married to Miss Rebecca E. Combs, at Agency City, Iowa. Early in the spring of 1883, the MacPhersons, in company with about twenty-five others, formed what was known as the Kansas Colony, with the deceased as president, and left Kansas for the far west. Some members remained in Eastern Washington, others located at Olympia, while a number came on to Bellingham, and established what was known as the "Colony Mill" at that place. Among the members of the colony was A. H. Wampler, of this city, who with Mr. and Mrs. MacPherson, later located at Lynden. The deceased was an ardent worker for the cause of prohibition and was an honorary member of the W. C. T. U.
Note: He was called General M. A. McPherson in many early newspapers; a few times the family name was spelled MacPherson.
(From The Lynden Tribune, April 23, 1914) Submitted by site coordinator.

McREA, Kenneth T. (d. 1929)

Kenneth Thomas McRea, who had lived at Kendall practically all his life until about two years ago, when he removed to Yacolt, Wash., died at a Vancouver, Wash., hospital Tuesday, April 30, aged 42 years. Funeral services were held Thursday at 2 p. m. in the Kendall Community church, with the Rev. J. M. Wilson, of Bellingham, officiating, interment being made in Kendall cemetery. Besides his widow, Lillian McRea, he is survived by three sons, Larry, Bobby and Lyle, all at home; his mother, Mrs. R. A. McRea, of Kendall, and three brothers, Harvey McRea and W. C. McRea, of Kendall, and Rev. A. A. McRea, pastor of the Presbyterian church of Sedro-Woolley.
(From The Deming Prospector, May 3, 1929) Submitted by site coordinator.

McREA, Robert. A. (d. 1927)

R. A. McRea, 85, and a pioneer of Whatcom county, passed away at his home in Kendall last Thursday morning at 5:30. Mr. McRea had been a resident of the Kendall district for the past thirty-eight years and was well known and highly respected. He was for many years mail and freight carrier between Bellingham and Kendall, in the days of bad roads and horse and buggy. He was a consistent church worker and donated the ground on which the church now stands to the community. He was a native of Mississippi and a civil war veteran. The deceased leaves a widow and four sons, Thomas, Claude and Harvey of Kendall and Rev. Allen McRea of Sedro-Woolley. One daughter, Mrs. May Allen of Columbia Valley; fifteen grandchildren and four great grandchildren, with many other relatives and friends who mourn his death. The funeral took place from his home and interment was in the cemetery at Kendall.
(From The Deming Prospector, March 4, 1927) Submitted by site coordinator.

McTAGGART, Edward (d. 1916)

Edward McTaggart, age 82, a Whatcom County pioneer, passed away Tuesday at the home of his son at Edison, following an attack of the grippe. Mr. McTaggart was married in 1878 to Miss Mary L. Judson of Lynden, daughter of Mrs. Phoebe N. Judson, and lived in Lynden for a few months. H. A. Judson gave him the block on which the Judson home now stands, and he built the house. The block was so heavily timbered, that he returned it to Mr. Judson, rather than clear it. Mrs. McTaggart passed away in 1894. Mr. McTaggart was among the first to come to the Samish district and helped build up the town of Edison. He was a state lumber inspector for many years, and served as county commissioner for Whatcom County. He is survived by one son, Edward E. McTaggart. Funeral services were held this afternoon in Bellingham and interment was in the Lynden cemetery.
(From The Lynden Tribune, February 17, 1916) Submitted by site coordinator.

McTAGGART, Maie (d. 1905)

Miss Maie McTaggart, only daughter of Mr. Edward McTaggart, died at her home in Bellingham at three o'clock Sunday morning of consumption. The funeral was held from the Methodist church in this city Tuesday afternoon and was conducted by the Rev. B. W. Rinehart. The burial was made in the Lynden cemetery beside the grave of the mother. Miss McTaggart was a granddaughter of Mrs. P. N. Judson of this city. She was born at Fir, Skagit County, April 27, 1883, and was nearly twenty-two years old at the time of her death. About three years ago she contracted a severe cold which developed into consumption which caused her death. She was taken to different climates and the best medical attention was given her but nothing could restore her good health. Her father and one brother are the members of the immediate family left, her mother having died when she was eleven years old. Miss McTaggart was a bright, accomplished young lady and was very ambitious. Wherever she was know she was loved. Her death, even though expected, was a great shock to her many friends. Many of the relatives, friends and neighbors attended the funeral here Tuesday. Although she never lived in this city she was well known here for she often visited her grandmother. Among the relatives from Bellingham who were here at the funeral were: Mesdames A. L. Ebey, C. I. Roth and Edith Bell, Misses Bernice Robinson and Arenus Roeder.
(From The Pacific Pilot, March 2, 1905) Submitted by site coordinator.

McTIGHE, Thomas (d. 1909)

Thomas McTighe, aged 63 years, died Saturday evening at St. Joseph's hospital, after a short illness. Mr. McTighe has been a resident of Whatcom county for a number of years, living on his ranch near Lake Samish. He is survived by one son and one daughter, living in Des Moines, Iowa. The remains lie at the funeral parlors, 1319 Dock Street, from where the funeral will leave at 8:30 a.m. Thursday, conveying the remains and friends to the Church of the Sacred Heart, South Bellingham, where the services will be held at 9 o'clock, Rev. W. L. Noonan, officiating. Interment will be in Bay View cemetery, under the direction of Undertaker H. O. Bingham, 1319 Dock street.
(From The Bellingham Herald, April 27, 1909) Submitted by Merrily Lawson.

McVEY, Roy (d. 1937)

Back to Obituary Index

Back to Whatcom GenWeb Home Page