Whatcom County Obituaries

Surnames Beginning with "Co-Cy"

COBERLY, John B. (d. 1926)

CODY, J. E. (d. 1907)

Falling on a slippery cement sidewalk, J. E. Cody, a shingle manufacturer of this city, sustained injuries Wednesday evening one week ago yesterday that resulted in his death yesterday at noon. In the fall Mr. Cody's skull was fractured. He was taken to the hospital, where his injury developed into meningitis, which caused his death. Mr. Cody, assisted by his son Frank, has been engaged in building a shingle mill on the waterfront near the Great Northern depot. He has been in this state about seven years, coming here from Minnesota. Besides a wife, Mr. Cody leaves six children, five brothers and two sisters. The children are Harry, Ray, Leonard, Frank, Elsworth and Marguerite. Elsworth Cody lives in St. Paul and the remaining children in this city. The brothers are Robert Cody, of San Jose, Cal.; James Cody, Aberdeen; Frank Cody, Eau Claire, Wis.; W. A. Cody, Cloquet, Minn., and Denny Cody, Dubuque, Iowa. The sisters are Marie and Delia Cody, of Green Bay, Wis.
(From The American Reveille, December 19, 1907) Submitted by site coordinator.

COE, Jennie M. (d. 1912)

Mrs. Jennie M. Coe, aged 47 years, and a resident of Bellingham for the past four years, passed away at an early hour Thursday morning, January 8th, at her apartments in the Schering Block, corner of Tenth Street and Harris Avenue, after an illness of but three hours. Mrs. Coe was the owner of the J. M. Coe book and stationary establishment of South Bellingham, and had been a regular attendant to business until the day before her death. Mrs. Coe was a member of the First Church of Christ Scientist; also of Fairhaven Temple No. 22 Pythian Sisters, and of Bellingham Homestead 293 Brotherhood of American Yeomen, all of Bellingham. The immediate relatives are two daughters, Mrs. W. S. Schirrmann, of Bellingham, and Mrs. H. P. Gallagher, of Aberdeen. Besides a large circle of friends to mourn her loss. The funeral service will be held Friday afternoon, February 9, at 2 o'clock from the funeral parlors of Undertaker Harry O. Bingham, 1319 Dock Street. The Christian Science service will be read by Mr. A. E. Caswell. Interment will be made in Bay View cemetery. The funeral car will leave the corner of Harris Avenue and Eleventh Street at 1:45 p. m. for the convenience of family and friends.
(From The American Reveille, February 9, 1912) Submitted by site coordinator.

COFFMAN, Amanda (d. 1919)

Mrs. Amanda Coffman, aged 69 years, passed away at the family home, 2611 Hampton place, at an early hour Tuesday morning, March 3, after an illness of only a few days. Mrs. Coffman had been a resident of Whatcom county for the last thirty years, and for the past twenty-two years had resided in Bellingham. By her kindly and sympathetic personality she had made for herself a host of friends who will miss her greatly. At the time of her death she was a member of the First Baptist church and J. B. Steedman corps No. 31, W.R.C., both of this city. Surviving Mrs. Coffman are five children, C. M. Coffman, Bellingham; Mrs. Jennie Meyer and Mrs. Myrtle E. Isherwood, Olympia; Mrs. Ethel Tawes and Miss Mabel Coffman, city; five grandchildren, Melba Coffman, Louise Isherwood, Wilma Lois Meyer, Mildred and Olen Tawes; one sister, Mrs. Mollie E. Morgan, Corvallis, Ore., and one brother, John Tweedy, of Pocahonian, (sic) Ark. The body is being cared for at the parlors of Arthur C. Harlow, 1055 Elk street, and funeral announcements will be made later.
(From The Bellingham Herald, March 4, 1919) Submitted by Merrily Lawson.

COFFMAN, John T. (d. 1914)

John T. Coffman, aged 69 years, a well known resident of this city, passed away at a local hospital Thursday afternoon at 6:30 o'clock. Mr. Coffman came to this city from Portia, Ark., in 1889. He is survived by his widow, Mrs. Amanda Coffman, one son, Cicero M. Coffman, of this city; four daughters, Miss Jennie E. Coffman, Myrtle L. Isherwood, Ethel Tawes, Mabel Coffman, all of this city; one sister, Mrs. Sue Phillips, of Portia, Ark.; four brothers, J. W. Coffman and Dan Coffman, of Portia, Ark.; Dr. Ben Coffman, of Smithville, Ark., and Jake Coffman, of Oklahoma. Mr. Coffman was a member of the First Baptist church of this city and also of J. B. Steedman post No. 24, G. A. R. Funeral services will be conducted at the chapel of Arthur C. Harlow Sunday afternoon, June 21, at 3 o'clock, the Rev. McPhail, pastor of the First Baptist church of this city, officiating. Mrs. Charles Yule will be in charge of the choir. Interment will be made in Bay View cemetery. The private funeral car will leave from North street and Hampton place at 2:30 o'clock, conveying the funeral party to the chapel.
(From The Bellingham Herald, June 19, 1914) Submitted by site coordinator.

COGSWELL, Seymour (d. 1919)

S. Cogswell passed away early Tuesday morning of this week at his home here after a lingering illness extending over several months. He had gradually failed in strength and the family were aware that the end was near. The funeral services were held at the family home yesterday afternoon at two o'clock, the Christian Science service being used, and interment made in the Blaine cemetery. Seymour Cogswell was born at Pultney, New York, October 2, 1860. He was married in August, 1887, to Katherine Shea at Prattsburgh, N. Y., who survives. Two children were born to them, Lawrence of this city and Mrs. Wentworth Rogers, of Stratford, Conn., who, however, has been at her father's bedside for several weeks. S. P. Cogswell, a brother, of Oso, Wash., has also been here during the last days of the deceased. Another brother, A. C. Cogswell, resides at Hammondsport, N. Y., and one surviving sister, Mrs. Laura Coryell, resides at Pultney, N. Y. Mr. Cogswell came to Blaine from Bellingham early in the year 1907 and purchased the City of Paris store, which he has successfully conducted ever since. He was a good business man, honest in his dealings, and respected by all.
(From The Blaine Journal, May 9, 1919) Submitted by site coordinator.

COLBY, Charles S. (d. 1903)

Charles Steven Colby died at his home in this city Thursday night, Jan. 29, aged 29 years, 2 months and 29 days.
Mr. Colby was born at Adamsville, Cass Co., Michigan, Nov. 1, 1873. He was married to Miss Edith Nichols on Nov. 25, 1897, at Allegan, Mich. About four years ago Mr. Colby's health began to fail and they removed to this place hoping the change might benefit him. For a time he seemed to improve but last May was compelled to give up work and has gradually failed ever since. He suffered terrible agonies, catarrh of the stomach being the trouble. The funeral was held from the Gospel Mission Church Sunday and the remains interred in the cemetery west of the city. The Rev. Pearl M. Storrey officiated. She took her text from Rev. 7:14, "And I said unto him, Sir, thou knowest. And he said unto me, These are they which came out of great tribulation, and have washed their robes, and made them white in the blood of the Lamb." The funeral procession was headed by the Lynden Band, of which Mr. Colby was the organizer and president. Six of the former friends of the young man were pall-bearers. The widow and baby daughter, Miss Alice, and a brother Lynn of Maple Falls are the only relatives in this state. Besides these, other mourning relatives are his parents who live at Adamsville, Mich.; a brother Ray of the same place; brother Otto of California; and a sister Mrs. Chas. A. Adams of Port Huron, Mich.

Mr. Colby was a man of good habits and was highly respected by all who knew him. He was one of the charter members and also secretary of the Gospel Mission Church of this place. He received a commercial education at Notre Dame, Ind. During his long sickness he suffered a great deal but bore it with a vast amount of patience.
(From The Pacific Pilot, February 5, 1903) Submitted by site coordinator.

COLBY, John L. (d. 1919)

John L. Colby passed away at the home of his son, Charles, south of Blaine Saturday at the ripe age of nearly 84 years. Funeral services were held Sunday afternoon at one o'clock at the home, Rev. G. F. Pollock officiating, and burial made in the Enterprise cemetery. John L. Colby was born in East Aurora, N. Y., August 15, 1835. About the year 1867 he was married to Deborah Lorr, who preceded him in death in 1888. Deceased came west to Minnesota in 1856. For nearly 50 years he was an honored and respected of that state at Houston, coming to Blaine in 1908. Eight children were born to them, six of whom are living as follows: Mrs. Almira Yarington of Humanville, Mo., Chas. Colby of Blaine, Mrs. Mary Bison of Seattle, Mrs. B. M. Newton and Mrs. E. G. Newton of Blaine and Mrs. Eugene Englehart of Caledonia, Minn. Deceased enjoyed good health up until about a year ago, since which time he gradually declined, caused by the infirmities of old age.
(From The Blaine Journal, June 27, 1919) Submitted by site coordinator.

COLE, Albert S. (d. 1902)

Major Albert S. Cole died at 4 o'clock Monday afternoon, at the Sister's hospital, his death being the result of a paralytic stroke which came over him Tuesday Evening, rendering him unconscious, in which state he remained until relieved by death. Major Cole located in Whatcom in the year 1887 and engaged in the practice of law, and has made Whatcom his home ever since. Mrs. Cole arrived in the city Sunday, from Seattle and remained with him until the end. Frank C. Cole, their only child is employed by an American syndicate as mining engineer, and is now in Korea. Deceased was sixty-two years old and enjoyed a wide acquaintance throughout the county. Funeral services were held at W. H. Mock's funeral parlors on Elk St., at 10 a. m. on Thursday, the services being conducted under the auspices of J. B. Stedman Post, G. A. R., of which circle deceased was a member for several years.
(From The Fairhaven Times, November 14, 1902) Submitted by site coordinator.

COLE, Bertha (d. 1935)

Mrs. Bertha Cole, wife of George W. Cole, 2630 Meridian street, died at a local hospital Monday morning after a brief illness. Mrs. Cole, who was 70 years of age, had been a resident of Bellingham for thirty-two years and was a charter member of the Neighbors of Woodcraft of Fairhaven. She was also a member of the Garden Street M. E. church. Besides her husband, she is survived by one daughter Miss Sylpha J. Cole, teacher at the Sehome school; two sisters, Mrs. Jennie DeHann, Ramona, South Dakota, and Mrs. Anna Dallman, Parkersburg, Iowa, and several nieces and nephews residing in the East. Funeral services will be held from the Homer Mark mortuary Thursday afternoon at 3:30 o'clock with the Rev. T. W. Jeffrey officiating. Cremation will follow.
(From The Bellingham Herald, February 11, 1935) Submitted by site coordinator.

COLE, Emeline (d. 1918)

Widow of Late Major Cole Dies at Age 74
Years -- Resident of City Since 1889 -- Prominent in Missionary Work.
Mrs. Emeline Heffron Cole, a resident of Bellingham since 1889, and widow of the late Major A. S. Cole, many years ago a prominent lawyer and politician of Whatcom county, died today at the age of 74 years, at her home, 2120 Utter street. Mrs. Cole was a very active member of the First Congregational church, being one of its first members and serving as corresponding secretary-treasurer of the Woman’s Missionary society. She was a very fine character, unassuming and a genuine Christian, and was beloved by a large circle of friends. She was born in New York state February 18, 1844, and with her husband came to Bellingham bay in 1889. She is survived by one son, Frank L. Cole, of Manila, who is now in the government service in Manchuria, and by one brother Dr. John L. Heffron, a prominent physician and surgeon of Syracuse, N.Y. He is now president of the State Medical society. The funeral announcement will be made by Harry O. Bingham.
(From The Bellingham Herald, May 11, 1918) Submitted by Merrily Lawson.

COLE, Morris C. (d. 1908)

After living a life of rare usefulness the Rev. Morris Carlon Cole, pastor of the Immanuel Baptist Church, of this city, died Sunday morning at 10:45 o'clock at the family home, 2326 Keesling Street with all his children present except one son, John H. Cole. Death has been hovering over the aged pastor for a number of days and he was unconscious when the end came.

Mr. Cole was born in Utica, N. Y., March 14, 1834. He was educated in Falley Seminary, Fulton, N. Y., and began preaching when only 17 years of age. He also studied medicine and engaged in the drug business in Rochester, N. Y., and later in New Orleans. His service in the Civil War was in two commands. First he served with the marine artillery of the New York Third Volunteer Regiment holding the office of acting adjutant of the command. His second term of service was with the Light Battery "D" of the New Jersey Artillery. In 1864 he was detailed by the secretary of war for duty in the adjutant general's office where he remained until at his own request he was relieved from duty to join his battery, then serving in the army of the James. After the fall of Richmond he was ordered with the artillery brigade of the Twenty-fifth Army Corps to Brazos, Santiago, Texas. In July, 1865, he was mustered out in New Orleans.

From 1869 to 1876 Mr. Cole was secretary of the state board of education of Louisiana. In 1877 he began the pastorate of the First Baptist Church of New Orleans where he remained until 1891 when he accepted a call to the First Baptist Church of Walla Walla, Wash. In September 1895 he accepted a call to the First Baptist Church of Bellingham. In 1899 the Immanuel Baptist Church was organized here and called Mr. Cole to its pastorate, where he served until failing health made it impossible for him to leave his home.

In 1860 Mr. Cole wedded Julia B. Leas in Chicago. Mrs. Cole died about a year ago and since that time the health of the aged pastor has been failing rapidly. Funeral services will be held at the First Baptist Church today at 10 a. m. The Rev. Thomas H. Cornish, assisted by the Rev. George Robert Cairns, of Seattle, and the J. B. Steedman Post of the G. A. R. will conduct the services. The dead man has been closely connected with the G. A. R. having served as assistant adjutant general and assistant quartermaster general on the staff of Department Commander W. H. Mock last year. Three sons and one daughter survive the dead man. These are John H. Cole, Thomas B. Cole, Dr. B. L. Cole and Julia Cole-Whipple. J. J. Edens, S. E. Fancy, J. L. Bishop, E. Huff, L. H. Pepper and H. L. Johnson have been chosen as pallbearers and will assist in the services this morning.
(From The Bellingham Herald, August 11, 1908) Submitted by site coordinator.

COLE, Sidney W. (d. 1915)

Sidney Willis Cole, aged 80 years, passed away at the home of his son, J. A. Cole, 2205 C street, early Thursday evening, after an illness of several months. Mr. Cole has been a resident of Bellingham for two years, coming here from Oregon. He leaves to survive him his son, J. A. Cole, of Bellingham, one daughter, Mrs. Allie Van Antwerp, of Bremerton, Wash.; two brothers living in the state of Kansas and one sister, Mrs. Mattie Alexandria, in the State of Indiana. Mr. Cole was an honorary member of the Winlock lodge, F. & A. M., being a member of this order for more than fifty years. Mr. Cole was a Confederate soldier, belonging to infantry No. 5, Company B, First Battalion, Missouri. He was also a member of the Christian church for over fifty years and was a member of the local First Christian church at the time of his death. Funeral services will be held Sunday afternoon at 2:30 o'clock at the funeral parlors of Undertakers Harlow & Livingston, 1051-55 Elk street, the Rev. Otho H. Williams officiating, after which the remains will be taken to Winlock, Wash., for interment.
(From The Bellingham Herald, February 6, 1915) Submitted by site coordinator.

COLE, Solomon L. (d. 1925)

S. L. Cole, a pioneer of Blaine, an old soldier and one of the best known and most highly respected citizens of Blaine, passed away in Seattle Friday last. He has been in poor health for some months but was able to be up and about. He was in Seattle when death came getting medical treatment. Mr. Cole came to Blaine about 35 years ago and has made his home here since. Mr. Cole was born in New York state Nov. 26, 1847, and was 77 years, 3 months and 9 days of age at his death. He leaves a widow, three sons and four daughters. The children are as follows: William of Ketchikan, Alaska, Fay of Los Angeles, Cal. Howard of Seattle, Mrs. Zella McDonald of Ferndale, Mrs. Ona Paul of Los Angeles, Cal., Mrs. Tina Erickson of Ketchikan, Alaska, and Mrs. Mattie Blakely of Blaine. In the passing of Mr. Cole we lose one of our best and most highly respected citizens. He left to his family and to humanity a record of good citizenship that would be hard to equal. Two brothers and two sisters also survive as follows: Lewis Cole of Ferndale, Charles Cole of Ontario, Wisconsin, Mrs. Melissa McDonald of Los Angeles, Cal., and Mrs. Kate Fish of Ridgepole, Nebraska.
(From The Blaine Journal-Press, March 12, 1925) Submitted by site coordinator.

COLE, Warren H. (d. 1904)

Warren H. Cole died yesterday at 5:20 a. m. of acute endocaditis at his residence, 2204 Utter street. Mr. Cole had been ill for the past four weeks and gradually became weaker in spite of all that could be done by the five physicians who were called to take charge of the case. The sickness was marked by a series of very extreme chills, which proved impossible to check. The funeral services will probably be held tomorrow at 2 p. m. at the residence of the deceased's mother, Mrs. Belle Cole, 2208 Utter street, and will be conducted by Rev. A. W. Cheatham, of st. Paul's Episcopal church. Interment will be made in Bay View cemetery.

Warren H. Cole was one of the best known and progressive young business men in Bellingham. In May, 1900, he became interested with F. P. Offerman in the drug store now conducted by Mr. Offerman. Later with D. I. Green he opened the Red Cross Pharmacy on Holly street, with which he was connected at the time of his demise. Six months ago today he was married to Miss Gertrude Hall. About May 1 he was taken with a severe attack of la grippe and never fully recovered his strength. With the hope of recovering his health he and his wife started on a cruise of the sound on July 5. They spent a week around Lummi island and then went to Blaine where they remained another week as the guests of Mr. and Mrs. Waage. On July 19 Mr. Cole became very sick. Two days later he was brought to his home in this city for medical attention. Expecting to resume his cruise in a few days he left his yacht and outing clothes at Blaine. His physician realized the seriousness of the case, but Mr. Cole's wife did not anticipate a fatal sickness until a brief time before his death. His mother was fearful for several days that the worst would come.

Warren Cole was born in Seymour, Indiana, September, 1878. He was the son of Mr. and Mrs. C. G. Cole. From Seymour he removed with his parents to Indianapolis and in 1888 to Seattle. In 1889 he father located in this city and established a furniture store, which proved very profitable. Afterward he was appointed postmaster of New Whatcom, holding the position sever months and until after the end of President Harrison's term. Warren attended the ward schools and the high school. In September Mr. Cole, Sr., who was in the grain and feed business with M. G. Scouten, died in his office suddenly. He was survived his wife, Mrs. Belle Cole, and two children, Warren and Marion. The latter, since deceased, became the wife of J. W. Romaine. When his father died Warren was seventeen years old and was just entering his senior year of the high school. He left high school at once and began work at Cole & Scouten's warehouse and feed mill on G street wharf. In 1897 he worked on the Kildall fish trap at Cherry point. Later he clerked in DeChamplain's pharmacy. In June, 1898, his sister, Mrs. J. W. Romaine, died, leaving an infant daughter, Lecile Romaine, now living with her grandmother, Mrs. Belle Cole. In the autumn of 1898 Warren left for San Francisco and his mother resided with him until the spring of 1900 when he graduated from the department of pharmacy of the University of California. He then return with his mother to this city, where he has since resided.
(From The Bellingham Reveille, August 16, 1904) Submitted by site coordinator.

COLEMAN, Oliver S. (d. 1913)

The funeral of Ollie S. Coleman, a pioneer of this state, who passed away in Sumas, this county, last Wednesday, will be held from the chapel of Mock & Harlow, 1051-1055 Elk street, Tuesday forenoon, October 28, at 11 o'clock, the Rev. John R. Macartney, officiating. A quartet in charge of Mrs. David Ireland will provide the musical numbers. Interment will be made in Bay View cemetery. Mr. Coleman was a member of Concrete aerie No. 1444, Fraternal Order of Eagle, and the burial rites of that order will be conducted at the grave. The body of Mr. Coleman will arrive from Sumas Tuesday forenoon at 9:45 o'clock. The funeral services had been delayed awaiting the arrival of a sister, Mrs. E. I. Thompson, from Southern California, and a brother, Charles Coleman, from the East. All members of the local aerie of Eagles have been requested to attend the funeral.
(From The Bellingham Herald, October 27, 1913) Submitted by site coordinator.

COLEMAN, Selden (d. 1919)

Selden Coleman, for thirty-two years a Bellingham resident, died late yesterday at his home, 2413 Lynn street, at the age of 82 years. At his bedside were his widow, four sons and two daughters, Elmer F. Colman, James W. Coleman, Wallace W. Coleman and K. A. Coleman and Mrs. Frank Riggs, of Bellingham, and Mrs. J. L. Bryant, of Alberta, Canada. A brother, Madison N. Coleman, of Seattle, also survives him. Mr. Coleman was a civil war veteran, having served with the Third Minnesota, in which he enlisted at the age of 23. Shortly after the war ended he helped to quell the Sioux uprising in Minnesota. On January 22, 1865, he married Sarah Cruikshank, who survives him, and four years ago the couple celebrated their golden wedding anniversary. The funeral will be held Sunday at 2:30 at Arthur C. Harlow's parlors, with the G. A. R., of which he was a member, officiating.
(From The Bellingham Herald, July 26, 1919) Submitted by site coordinator.

COLIGAN, Bernard (d. 1930)

Bernard Coligan, husband of Mrs. Tillie Coligan, passed away Monday night after an illness of eight years, following a stroke. He was born in Rutland, Vermont, in 1877. He has lived in Washington about twenty years. Besides his widow, he leaves one daughter and five step-children. There is one sister in San Francisco, and a brother in Zillah, Wash. The funeral was held at 2 o'clock Friday afternoon in the Nooksack Advent church, Rev. F. W. Shattuck preaching, and the Modern Woodmen of America held their ritualistic service at the graveside in the Nooksack cemetery.
(From The Bellingham Herald, Nooksack section, April 4, 1930) Submitted by site coordinator.

COLLIER, May (d. 1922)

COLLING, Robert (d. 1898)

The body of Robert Colling, jr., a Whatcom county member of Co. G., Sixteenth U. S. regulars, who was killed at Santiago de Cuba July 1, 1898, is expected to arrive here for burial tomorrow and it has been suggested that the city turn out and pay a fitting tribute over the ashes of the young hero, the first Whatcom county soldier to die in defense of his country. Robert Colling, jr., was a brave and popular young man, 25 year old, son of Mr. and Mrs. Robert Colling of Blue Canyon. He enlisted in the Sixteenth Idaho just before the war. Arrangements are being made for a public funeral to be held in the city on Sunday. The remains will be buried in Bay View cemetery, and as now arranged the body will arrive over the S. & I. via Wickersham and Lake Whatcom. All soldier boys are requested to hold themselves in readiness to attend the funeral which will be held Sunday afternoon. The call will be published in next Saturday's Blade, giving time and hour to report.
(From The Blade, April 6, 1899) Submitted by site coordinator.

COLLINS, Barney (d. 1912)

Another of Lynden's old and respected citizens has passed to the Great Beyond. Mr. Barney Collins died at his home here Wednesday morning, and was buried this afternoon, services being conducted at two o'clock by the Rev. Herbert Jones at the house.

Mr. Collins was born in Elgin township, Hastings County, Canada on November 20, 1848, his death occurring on his 64th birthday. In 1877 he came to the United States, and on September 3, 1882, was married to Miss Margaret Storrey. Four children were born to Mr. and Mrs. Collins, only one of whom, Nellie, survives to share the bereavement with the widow. In 1884 Mr. and Mrs. Collins came to Everson and located on a farm where they lived until two years ago, when they moved to Lynden. Mr. Collins was an industrious, honest, considerate gentleman, extremely kind and thoughtful in his association with others. He had a large circle of friends who extend heartfelt sympathy to the sorrowing wife and daughter.
(From The Lynden Tribune, November 21, 1912) Submitted by site coordinator.

COLLINS, John (d. 1939)

COLLINS, Robert (d. 1901)

Yesterday morning at 10:30 o'clock, Robert Collins, who resides on Utter street, near the Columbia school, died suddenly of heart-failure, with which he had been afflicted for a number of years. Mr. Collins was the proprietor of a grocery store situated on the corner of Monroe and Utter streets and had entered the store only a short time prior to his death, the fatal attack seizing his suddenly while seated in his chair. He leaves a widow, son and four grandchildren to mourn his death. He was 66 years of age. He was comparatively a new comer on the Bay having arrived here about a year and a half ago. He was the owner of considerable property in Whatcom, consisting of houses and lots, together with other real estate, besides several fine farms in the state of Iowa, from which state he emigrated to Washington. (From The Weekly Blade, October 23, 1901) Submitted by site coordinator.

COMPTON, John C. (d. 1932)

John Clayton Compton, Deming pioneer, passed away Tuesday afternoon at 1:45, at the age of 83 years. Mr. Compton called at the home of L. C. Duling, a neighbor and remarked that he did not feel very well, and in a few moments he had passed away. "Uncle Johnnie," as all his friends called him, was always hale and hearty and was known and respected by everyone in the valley. His sudden death will be mourned by all.

Mr. Compton was born in Jersey county, Illinois, Oct. 4, 1848. He came to this county in 1889, taking up a homestead, together with timber, which was quite valuable, and has resided in this vicinity ever since. In 1886 he was married to Miss Sophia Caroff, a native of Illinois, she passing away several years ago. From this marriage one son was born. Daniel Augustus, who survives him and lived with his father until his death. Funeral services were held today, Friday at 1:30 at the church in Deming, the Rev. W. S. Thorndyke officiating. The remains will be interred in the Welcome cemetery, beside those of his wife.
(From The Deming Prospector, January 29, 1932) Submitted by site coordinator.

COMPTON, Sophia (d. 1928)

Mrs. Sophia Compton, who for many years has been a resident of the Deming district, passed away at her home east of Deming on tuesday after a brief illness, at the age of 74 years. Funeral services were held at the Deming Presbyterian church at 2 p. m., Thursday, with the Rev. B. K. McElmon officiating. Interment was made in the Welcome cemetery under the direction of the Gillies mortuary home, of Sumas. The pallbearers were Z. S. Zwick, E. E. Marshall, J. E. Kenney, E. Belcher, Hugh Macaulay Sr., and R. L. Dale. Mrs. Compton is survived by her husband, John C. Compton; one son, Daniel A. Compton, Deming; three sisters, Mrs. Charles Hatfield, Wagner, Oklahoma; Mrs. M. W. Brone, Kansas City, Mo., and Mrs. S. H. Haines, Portland, Ore., and one brother in Illinois.       Image
(From The Deming Prospector, April 27, 1928) Submitted by site coordinator.

CONANT, Franklin B. (d. 1904)

F. B. Conant died at his home in this city last Thursday after a long and brave struggle against a terrible disease. For many years he has been at death's door and nothing but his courage kept him alive. His face was affected with cancer which not even the strongest will can long combat.

Mr. Conant was born in the year 1862 back in [New] York state. His father died when he was a child. He and his mother moved to Mount Pleasant, Michigan. Here Mr. Conant grew up and bought a farm and was married. He was a skilled painter and did considerable work of that class. But his health would not permit of his following this vocation. He and his family moved to Bismark, N. D., where Mr. Conant purchased a farm. At this place Mrs. Conant's father resides and owns a valuable farm. Mr. Conant met with financial reverses in North Dakota through prairie fires and lost his property. He returned to Michigan. March 23, 1902 Mr. Conant came to Blaine. He was in bad health, he had no money nor means of raising it. Before the summer was over he had erected two of the finest residences in Blaine, the Crilly and Brown residences; he had bought some lots and by working nights put up a house for his family; he had brought his wife and children out from Michigan and settled in his new home. After that time he continued to follow his trade as a contractor. He built the Hovey block last summer, remodeled I. M. Scott's house, W. H. T. Barnes residence, Rev. W. E. Dawson's place and the W. H. Malloy property on E street. He also built the Journal building and Capt. Montfort's home. All this was done at a time that he was living in constant pain from his malady and under the care of a doctor. Twice during this time he under went painful operations. At last he had to yield to the inevitable. Mr. Conant was a natural born mechanic. During his life he patented several inventions. Among these might be mentioned an ironing board and a gate which are quite generally in use.

The funeral services were conducted by Rev. C. P. Sears at the M. E. church last Friday morning. The interment was at the Blaine cemetery. Mr. Conant leaves a bereaved wife and three children in Blaine and an aged mother at Mount Pleasant, Michigan.
(From The Blaine Journal, April 1, 1904) Submitted by site coordinator.

CONDIT, Mary A. (d. 1916)

Mrs. Mary A. Condit, aged 64 years and whose residence was 2518 Jaeger street, passed away at a local hospital Tuesday, December 10, after an illness of several weeks. Mrs. Condit, with her family, had resided in Bellingham for the past nine years. She was a member of the Emmanuel Baptist church and is survived by her husband, J. M. Condit; two daughters, and two sons, Mrs. Phillip Gilbert, Mrs. C. M. Naff, of Bellingham; Jess M. Condit, Oklahoma City, Okla.; Ward Condit, Lake City, Minn.; also one sister, Mrs. John Lansing, of Bellingham. Funeral services will be held Thursday, December 21, at 2 o’clock p.m. from the funeral parlors of Harry O. Bingham, 1319 Dock street, with Rev. Samuel L. Brown, pastor of the Emmanuel Baptist church, officiating. Interment will be made in Bay View cemetery. The funeral car will leave from the corner of Eldridge avenue and Lynn street at 1:45 p.m. for the convenience of the relatives.
(From The Bellingham Herald, December 20, 1916) Submitted by Merrily Lawson.

CONDIT, Monroe (d. 1922)

Monroe Condit, veteran of the civil war and for thirteen years a Bellingham resident, died this morning at the home of his daughter, Mrs. C. M. Naff, 2809 Eldridge avenue, at the age of 78 years. He was a member of the Improved Order of Red Men and of the Immanuel Baptist church. For the last five years he had made his home with Mrs. Naff. The survivors are two daughters, Mrs. Naff and Mrs. J. D. Scott, Bellingham, and two son, W. L. Condit, Minneapolis, and J. M. Condit, Fresno, Cal. The funeral will be held Monday at 2 p. m. under the auspices of the G. A. R. at the O. R. Hollingsworth funeral home, with the Rev. G. F. Vander Mei officiating. Interment will occur at Bay View cemetery.
(From The Bellingham Herald, November 11, 1922) Submitted by site coordinator.

CONKLING, Martha (d. 1891)

CONLEE, Burton T. (d. 1940)

CONNELLY, Bridget (d. 1900)

Friday night last, between 8 and 9 o'clock, the soul of Mrs. Edw. Connelly went back to its Maker from whence it came. She has been sick for a month or more and from the reason of her advanced age, 80 years, it was not thought at any time she would again regain her health. Mrs. Connelly came to Fairhaven about thirty years ago, in company with her husband and together they have lived here, on the old homestead, in Happy Valley, through all these years. She leaves a husband and three children - one son and two daughters - Patrick, Mrs. Henry Osier and Mrs. S. Hoyt. She was buried from the Church of the Assumption on Monday morning, Rev. Father Boulet officiating. A large congregation of friends were present to pay their last respects to a kind and noble woman and loving neighbor.
(From The Fairhaven Times, October 26, 1900) Submitted by Cathy Padden Atkinson

CONNELLY, Edward (d. 1910)

Edward Connelly, 92 Years Old, Dies at Home of Daughter, Mrs. Harry Osier - realized the end was at hand. Left the hospital to die at home.
Came to Puget Sound in 1874, moved to Fairhaven in 1877, locating in Happy Valley, owner of valuable property.
Edward Connelly, among the last of the South Bellingham pioneers, died at the home of his daughter, Mrs. Harry Osier, at Twenty-Fourth and Donovan Streets, of old age at 1:45 o'clock this morning. He was 92 years old, conscious to the last and knew for a week that the end was at hand. Saturday night, April 23, while talking with friends at the house he was seized by a fit of coughing and when the family wanted to send for a doctor he objected, saying: "It is no use, my time is run, this is the last." When his daughter asked what he meant he replied: "Never mind, you will see in two or three days.
Goes to Hospital
After much persuasion he was induced to go to St. Joseph's Hospital on Tuesday. He remained but a day and a half. Telling the sisters that nothing could be done for him he ordered a carriage, walked to it himself, stopped in South Bellingham to tell one of his friends that he had not much longer to remain on the earth and went on out to the home of his daughter. His wish was to die at home and be buried from the house. Mr. Connelly was known to everyone in South Bellingham and to thousands of people on the North Side of the city. He was famous for his wonderful vitality. He had scarce a gray hair in his head and his whiskers retained their bright color up to death. He was never before known to have even a cold. His humorous, cheerful buoyant disposition was never hidden at any time. These characteristics, so well sustained, brought him local fame.
Born in Ireland
Edward Connelly was born in the County of Galway, Ireland. He came to America in 1862 and settled in Pennsylvania, later sending for his wife and three children. The family lived there more than ten years. Filled with the spirit of the pioneer he left the old state in 1874 and came to Puget Sound, making his first home in Renton. After a short time he sent for his family and in October, 1877, with his wife and five children, two were born in Pennsylvania, he came to Bellingham. Going to Happy Valley he purchased 160 acres from Michael Padden, who discovered Lake Padden, and gave his name to Lake Padden. In 1885 he pre-empted a claim near the lake and later homesteaded 160 acres on East Fairhaven. This tract was involved in a contest in 1891, but the case won by Mr. Connelly. Long ago his property went to his children. He will be buried from the Catholic Church of the Sacred Heart in South Bellingham, but the date of his funeral will not be set until the arrival of his son and daughter from Spokane. He is survived by Mrs. Harry Oeser, of this city, Mrs. S. A. Hoyt of Spokane, and his son, Patrick E. Connelly. Stokes & Wickman are directing the funeral arrangements.
(From The American Reveille, May 2, 1910)

Edward Connelly, who has been a resident of Bellingham for more than thirty years, died this morning at the age of ninety-three years. Death was due to old age. He has been a resident of Fairhaven since 1877 and had resided in Seattle three years before coming here. He is survived by two daughters, Mrs. Annie Oeser and Mrs. Kate White of Spokane, and one son Pat Connelly, of Spokane and one brother in Ireland, where Mr. Connelly himself lived until he was 21 years old. There are eleven grandchildren, many of whom live in this section. Mr. Connelly's death occurred at the home of his daughter, Mrs. Oeser, on Twenty-fourth street, south side. Mr. Connelly was one of the most interesting of the early pioneers and his life was an eventful one. He was attracted to this country by the coal mines at Renton near Seattle, having previously worked in the mines of Pennsylvania.
(From The Bellingham Herald, May 2, 1910) Submitted by Cathy Padden Atkinson

CONNOLLY, Mary A. (d. 1913)

Mary Anne Connolly, aged 64 years, widow of the late John Connolly, who passed away at Lake Samish August 5, 1885, who came to Whatcom county, settling at Lake Samish in 1875, passed away at the home of her daughter, Mrs. Mary Gerard, at Lake Samish, Sunday at 11:40 p. m., after an illness of three weeks. Mrs. Connolly is survived by five daughters, Mrs. Eliza Shetlar [Shetler], Mrs. Lottie Shetlar [Shetler] and Mrs. Ellen Rogers residing near the county farm north of this city; Mrs. Mary Gerard, of Lake Samish, and Mrs. Josie Gerard, of Friday Harbor, Wash., also five sons, Richard, Thomas, John, Elias and Charles Connolly, all residents of Lake Samish. Funeral services will be conducted at the new chapel of Mock & Harlow, 1051-1055 Elk street, Wednesday forenoon, June 4, at 10 o'clock, the Rev. N. M. Temple, pastor of the First Methodist Episcopal church, officiating. Mrs. David Ireland will have charge of the music. The body of Mrs. Connolly will be interred in Woodlawn cemetery, near Ferndale.
(From The Bellingham Herald, June 2, 1913) Submitted by site coordinator.

COOK, George M. (d. 1923)

   George M. Cook, clerk of Whatcom county for four years, died at St. Luke's hospital this morning at 7:25 o'clock. He had been confined to the hospital for three weeks, or since he suffered a second stroke of paralysis, the first stroke occurring about a year ago. Mr. Cook was 58 years of age, and had lived here twenty-three years. For the last year he conducted the Highland creamery at 615 High street.
   Mr. Cook was deputy clerk of Whatcom county for two terms, from 1914 to 1918, and was clerk from 1918 to 1922. He was prominent in church and lodge circles, being a vestryman of St. Paul's Episcopal church, of which he also was treasurer for several years; a member of Bellingham Bay lodge, No. 44, F. & A. M., and of Sehome Chapter, No. 17, Order of the Eastern Star, of which he was past patron in 1921. He was secretary-treasurer of the United Commercial Travelers and at the time of his death was past grand councillor of the U. C. T., jurisdiction of Washington, Oregon and British Columbia. He was a trustee of the Masonic Temple board here.
   Mr. Cook was born in Ottawa county, Michigan, April 6, 1865. In the East he engaged in the general merchandise business. Coming to Bellingham Bay in 1900, he took a position with the Templin Feed company. In 1914 he was named deputy county clerk under Mrs. Alithea Adams. He was elected clerk in 1918 and re-elected in 1920.
   The surviving relatives are the widow, Mrs. Maggie L. Cook; one daughter, Mrs. H. S. Dwelle, of Bellingham; one son, Richard H. Cook, a student at the Washington State university; one grand-daughter, Margaret Ellen Dwelle, of Bellingham, and one brother, L. N. Cook of Grand Rapids, Mich. Funeral announcements will be made by Arthur C. Harlow's mortuary home.
(From The Bellingham Herald, December 17, 1923) Submitted by site coordinator.

COOK, Jennie (d. 1930)

Mrs. Jennie Cook, wife of Postmaster Ira J. Cook, of Deming, died at her home here Thursday night, aged 52 years. She had lived in Whatcom county twenty-five years, and was always active in church, school and civic affairs. Although she had been ill for several months past, her untimely death came as a distinct shock to the entire community. Funeral rites were held Sunday at 2 p. m., the Rev. A. O. Quall officiating. Officers and members of the Pythian Sisters, Bellingham Temple No. 22, gave their ritualistic service. Cremation followed. Aside from her husband, surviving relatives are one daughter, Mildred Maccaulay, Sapho, Wash.; one son, John C. Cook, Deming; mother, Mrs. Ella C. Holton; one sister, Mrs. Lulu Straley; one brother, Warner Holton, California, and one grandchild, Caroline Macaulay, Sapho.
(From The Deming Prospector, February 12, 1930) Submitted by site coordinator.

COOKE, Howard E. T. (d. 1941)

The many friends and acquaintances of Dr. Howard E. T. Cooke were shocked last Thursday afternoon to learn of his sudden death which followed a heart attack. The Doctor, although 85 years of age had been getting about much as usual, and often expressed himself as expecting to live to be a hundred. The deceased came to Blaine some six years ago arriving in his own car, having driven from New York state with the purpose of going to Vancouver, B.C.; but border difficulties resulted in his remaining in Blaine.

Born on a little farm up in Maine, the deceased never saw the inside of a school room until 10 years of age, but at 17 years he was teaching country school. He managed and earned his own education, through the academy and universities, earning several degrees, among them being a Ph. B. and D. D. His first marriage vows were taken in a large Boston church, before a gathering of fifteen hundred or more friends and church people Under the tutelage of his father he learned the tinsmith and sheet metal workers trade as well as a smattering of plumbing. Before attaining his majority he entered upon a business career by starting a fly trap factory entirely on credit, with his first order for material amounting to $3,000 and his first order being for 3,600 traps. He became pastor of an important church and later resigned to again enter upon a business career, and his life's experiences were many and varied. At the age of seven his parents sold out their farming interests and sailed away to San Francisco, going in over the mountains, to the silver mines in the vicinity of Lake Tohoe (sic), Nevada. At ten years he was sent back to Maine with an uncle to live with his grandparents until his parents returned two years later. In 1875 the family moved to Boston where he managed to work and earn his way through academy, college and university. He was always keenly interested in world matters, and was still studying up to the time of his death. He had not been in Blaine long before he began to conceive great things for this city, one of them being a plan for the United States to swap Point Roberts to Canada for the White Rock Indian Reservation, with the purpose of establishing a great air base in Semiahmoo bay. Another being a tunnel through Semiahmoo, making a water entrance for hydroplanes, into an underground bomb-proof port.

He leaves two sons, Kenneth at Halifax, and Norman in New York city; and a daughter Mrs. Marjory Strong of Norman, New York. Funeral services were held from the Purdy & McKinney chapel, Monday afternoon with the service being conducted by Rev. J. N. Bridges. Interment was made in the Blaine cemetery.
(From the Blaine Journal, February 13, 1941) Submitted by Merrily Lawson.

COOLEY, Ellen V. (d. 1914)

Died, at the Northern Hospital, at Sedro-Woolley, January 7, Ellen V. Cooley, in her sixty-ninth year. Funeral services were held at the Sedro Woolley undertaking parlors Saturday morning, January 10. The body was brought to Blaine cemetery Saturday afternonn. The floral offerings were beautiful.

Ellen V. Cooley was born in Bainbridge, N. Y., September 19, 1845. At the age of seven years she came with her parents to Minnesota. The following year they settled on a farm in what is now the town of Otsego, thirty miles above Minneapolis on the Mississippi River. When sixteen years of age she united with the Methodist Episcopal church at Otsego. She attended the public schools there and later the St. Cloud State Normal school. For thirty years she taught in the schools at Otsego, Elk River, Big Lake and Champlain, caring for her parents till their death, her mother dying in 1890, her father in 1895. She came to Washington in 1906 and resided in Blaine until November, 1913, when she went to Sedro Woolley, where she passed to the better land on Wednesday, January 7.
(From The Blaine Journal, January 16, 1914) Submitted by site coordinator.

COOPER, James (d. 1929)

CORBETT, William M. (d. 1913)

At Surrey Center, B. C., on Saturday last occurred the funeral of W. M. Corbett. The remains were laid beside those of his wife, who died four years ago. Mr. Corbett resided much of his time in Blaine, maintaining a home on C street, but at the time of his death was visiting a daughter near Capperton, B. C. He was walking along the Great Northern tracks, and being deaf, did not hear the approaching train from behind, which struck him a glancing blow. One arm was broken and an ugly gash cut in his forehead, but the doctors attributed his instant death to the breaking of his neck from the sudden blow. He was 78 years of age. Three daughters reside in British Columbia, one in Portland, Ore., and one at Haynie, near Blaine, Mrs. Dan Ross; one son in Vancouver, one son in Sheridan, Mont., and one son in Clarkso, Mont.
(From The Blaine Journal, May 2, 1913) Submitted by site coordinator.

CORCORAN Mary (d. 1932)

Mrs. Mary Corcoran, who had been ill three months, died at a local hospital Tuesday evening, aged 79 years. She was a member of the Eureka M. E. church and had lived here and in this vicinity ten years. Mrs. Corcoran is survived by three sons, William, Regina, Canada; Robert, Detroit, and Richard, New York; three daughters, Mrs. Helen Bradshaw, Toronto; Mrs. T. J. Kelly, route 1 city, and Mrs. Clara Reed, Watford, Ontario, and two brothers, Robert Dunn, Victoria, B. C., and John Dunn, California. Funeral rites will be held at the Homer Mark mortuary at 2 p. m. Saturday. Rev. J. H. Avery will officiate. Burial will follow in Woodlawn cemetery.
(From The Bellingham Herald, June 1, 1932) Submitted by site coordinator.

CORCORAN, William T. (d. 1935)

Lummi Island Pioneer Is Claimed by Reaper
William Thomas Corcoran, 74, for thirty-five years a resident of Lummi Island, passed away at a local hospital early Friday morning. Mr. Corcoran is survived by the widow, Maria E. Corcoran; three sons, William A. of Bellingham, and Clifford and John D., of Beach; seven daughters: Mrs. Frank Seelye, Mrs. Laura Storm, Mrs. Mose Tuttle, Mrs. George Brown and Mrs. George Hoffman, all of Beach, and Mrs. Marguerite Epler, of Portland, Ore., and two brothers, Robert Corcoran of Colorado, and Arthur Corcoran, of Kansas. Funeral services will be conducted from the Harlow-Hollingsworth Funeral home on Monday afternoon at 1:30 o'clock, with Mrs. Bodiker officiating. Cremation will follow.
(From The Bellingham Herald, September 20, 1935)

CORDWAY, Alexander (d. 1893)

CORFEE, Lucy (d. 1927)

Mrs. Lucy Corfee, well known and highly respected pioneer lady of the Nooksack valley, passed away at the home of her son Orville Corfee in Nooksack, Tuesday morning, aged 77 years. Mrs. Corfee had been ailing for some time and the end was not unexpected. She leaves three children, Mrs. Fred Watson and Mrs. Jack Watson of Deming and Orville Corfee of Nooksack; also a sister, Mrs. L. B. Huschke of Satsop. Interment took place at the cemetery in Lynden on Thursday afternoon at 1:30.
(From The Deming Prospector, February 4, 1927) Submitted by site coordinator.

CORLISS, Gerry/Jerry (d. 1893)

CORMIE, George (d. 1938)

CORNISH, R. D. (d. 1907)

R. D. Cornish passed away at his home on H street in this city at 9:30 o'clock last Sunday morning. Mr. Cornish had been confined to his home for some time, and as he had been patiently awaiting death for months, the end was not unexpected.

Mr. Cornish was born in Detroit, Michigan, in 1819 and was 87 years, 3 months and 11 days old. During his life time he lived in the states of Michigan, New York, Indiana, Illinois, Iowa, Nebraska and Washington. He came to Blaine in 1890 and has lived here ever since. Mr. Cornish spent most of his life as a farmer, but was for four years an agent of the Michigan Central railway at Ross, Indiana. He joined the Methodist Episcopal church when twenty-one years of age, and remained a follower of its teachings throughout the remainder of his life. The funeral service was conducted from his late home by Rev. George A. Sheafe, on Monday morning at 10 o'clock, and the interment was in the Blaine Cemetery. He leaves a widow, three children, grandchildren and great grandchildren to mourn his death.
(From The Blaine Journal, January 4, 1907) Submitted by site coordinator.

COSGROVE, Joseph (d. 1897)

COSS, Hannah (d. 1912)

Mrs. Hannah Coss died at the family residence in Ferndale, last Friday, May 17, after a protracted and painful illness. The funeral rites were held at the M. E. Church last Saturday, Rev. Moles preaching the sermon. The attendance was very large and the floral offering were profuse and beautiful. The interment was at Enterprise Cemetery. Deceased was the wife of Jacob Coss, who died some three years ago, and the mother of Mrs. Brighton, Mrs. Chichester, Mrs. John Fox, Mrs. Emma E. Fulgham and Mr. George Coss. She was a native of Illinois, was born January 24, 1838, being 74 years of age.

She was a woman greatly beloved by many and highly esteemed by all who knew her. She was one of the war widows, who underwent the trials and tribulations that came to our dear mothers during the dark days of the Civil War, but with an unshaken faith in God and her heart filled with loyal devotion to her country, she patiently bore the burden and proudly assumed every duty. She was long a devoted member of the M. E. Church, and firm and faithful in the performance of every Christian duty. A faithful, devoted wife and mother, a true, modest, unassuming, charitable Christian lady, she will be missed by all, and to those near of kin the sympathy of the public goes out.
(From The Ferndale Record, May 24, 1912) Submitted by site coordinator.

COSSENTINE, James (d. 1920)

COSTINDA, Peter (d. 1907)

COUPE, Maria (d. 1888)

COUPE, William T. (d. 1922)

Word has been received here of the death at Coupeville, Island county, last Friday, of William Thomas Coupe, pioneer of Whatcom and Island counties and once county treasurer here. Funeral services were held Sunday. Mr. Coupe, who died at the age of 78 years, having been born in Williamsburg, N. Y., October 18, 1843, came to Whidby island with his father, after whom the town of Coupeville was named, when he was 10 years of age. He grew up with the country and after his marriage at Coupeville he removed to a farm of his own in this county on the Nooksack river. After several years of farming he disposed of this property and come to the town of Whatcom now Bellingham. He served one term as county treasurer. The past several years he resided in Coupeville, but is remembered well by a number of the pioneers of Bellingham, including Charles I. Roth. Surviving relatives, aside from the widow, include two sons, Benjamin, of California, and T. L. Coupe, of Coupeville; two sisters, Mrs. James Gillespie, of Coupeville, and Mrs. William Jones, of Seattle; a brother, George M. Coupe, of Seattle.
(From The Bellingham Herald, February 21, 1922) Submitted by site coordinator.

COURTNEY, Cora B. (d. 1917)

Mrs. Cora B. Courtney, wife of J. R. Courtney, pioneer woman of this community passed away at her home, near Greenwood on Friday, October 5, and funeral services were conducted by the Rev. Paul Ashby in the Methodist church at Lynden on Sunday. Mrs. Courtney was born in Powhattan, Ark., in 1873. She came to this place with her parents, twenty-seven years ago, and was married here to J. R. Courtney April 24, 1892. She leaves to mourn her loss her husband, three daughters, Della, Ida and Mrs. Arthur Urfer. Three sons, Maurice, Wright and Clay, her father and mother, Mr. and Mrs. G. P. Dean, of Bellingham, and ten brothers and sisters, including Arthur Dean, of Skagit county, Dr. J. Foster Dean of Seattle, Dr. O. F. Dean of Seattle, Dr. F. M. Dean of Anacortes, Homer F. Dean of Everett, Mrs. Martin Lachner of Everett, Ernest Dean of Lynden, Miss Anna Dean and Miss Floy Dean of Bellingham. Many beautiful floral offerings were sent by friends as a tribute to a loving wife and mother. Interment was made in the Lynden Cemetery under the direction of Frank E. Knapp.
(From The Bellingham Herald, Wiser Lake section, October 13, 1917) Submitted by site coordinator.

COURTNEY, John R. (d. 1939)

COWDEN, Adiniran J. (d. 1916)

A. J. Cowden, aged 62 years, passed away January 8 at the home of his brother, Harrison Cowden, 1615 Grant street. Mr. Cowden was born in Grasslake, Mich., July 17, 1852. In 1877 he came West to Virginia City, Nev., later coming to Ferndale, Whatcom county. He was a pioneer of Washington and Alaska and was a member of the Arctic Brotherhood. His genial, happy disposition has made for him a host of friends who sympathize with his bereaved relatives. He leaves a brother, Harrison Cowden, and one sister, Mrs. Mary Skellenger, of Belding, Mich. Funeral services will be conducted Monday afternoon, January 10, at 1 o'clock from the parlors of A. G. Wickman, 1146 Elk street, Rev. Fred Alban Weil, of the Unitarian society, officiating. Interment will be made in the family plot in Woodland cemetery.
Note: Adiniran Cowden in 1870 census; Andrew J. Cowden in 1880 census; John A. Cowden in 1910 census; Adanira Cowden in Woodlawn cemetery records; also name could be misspelling of Adoniran.
(From The Bellingham Herald, January 8, 1916) Submitted by site coordinator.

COWDEN, Catherine (d. 1911)

Mrs. Catherine Louise Cowden died at St. Luke's hospital in Bellingham Wednesday afternoon at 5:20 o'clock after an illness extending over several months from heart disease. Her illness dates back to the time of the death of her brother, Dick Dorr. A husband, two daughters, one son, a father and mother, seven sisters and two brothers survive her. The date of the funeral will probably be Tuesday next, but will be delayed awaiting the arrival of a sister and brother from Barkersville, B. C., and a brother from Valdez Island, B. C. This is the second visitation of death in the family during the past few months and the sympathy of all is with the bereaved relatives, and especially the grief stricken mother, Mrs. Dorr of this city.
(From The Blaine Journal, October 6, 1911) Submitted by site coordinator.

COWDEN, Clarence E. (d. 1890)

COWDEN, Frank E. (d. 1903)

Frank E. Cowden of this place met his death near Dawson City, Alaska, September 25, 1903. While standing on the top of a shaft on a Quartz creek claim, slipped and fell headlong down the shaft, falling a distance of 50 feet. His neck was broken. When the body was hoisted to the top it was found that beside the neck being broken the unfortunate man's head was horribly crushed. He leaves a wife and five children, residing at this place, the oldest being 13 years and the youngest a baby 13 months old. Besides his family he leaves his parents, Mr. and Mrs. H. Cowden of Whatcom, and two brothers and three sisters: Mrs. Effie Heiser, Wm. H., both of this place, Mrs. E. J. Pence, Miss Jessie, of Whatcom and Arthur E. of Seattle.

He was well and favorably known throughout the entire county, having resided in this place for the past 23 years, with the exception of a short time spent in Alaska where he met his death. He had many friends in and around Ferndale to whom the news came as a severe blow and each will feel a sense of a personal loss at his demise. He was a loving husband and a kind father. The many friends join with the bereaved ones in mourning the loss of their loved one.

Frank Everett Cowden was born in Montcalm, Montcalm Co., Michigan, on November 16, 1868. Moved to Virginia City, Nevada, with his parents at the age of seven years. He came to Ferndale with his parents when but 12 years old, where he entered school and finished his education at the age of 21. He then married Miss Nettie Sisson and built his home where his family now reside, one and one half mile north of town.
(From The Ferndale Record, October 2, 1903) Submitted by site coordinator.

COWDEN, William H. H. (d. 1922)

William Henry Harrison Cowden, commonly known as "Uncle Harry," and for twenty years a constable in Whatcom county, where he had lived for forty-two years, died this morning shortly after midnight at the age of 82 years. He had been failing for several months and had been confined to his home for a number of weeks. Some time ago he suffered a stroke of paralysis. He recovered sufficiently to attend to his duties again, but for only a short time. Mr. Cowden had been a constable in Bellingham for twelve years and at the September primaries he was nominated on the republican ticket for another term. Before coming to Bellingham he had served as constable at Ferndale for eight years. He also was a member of the Pythian Sisters. He was a very faithful officer, and leaves friends in every part of the country. Mr. Cowden always prided himself on the fact that he cast his first vote for Abraham Lincoln. Before coming to Whatcom county he worked in mines in Nevada. The survivors are three daughters, Mrs. Etta M. Heiser, Index, Wash.; Mrs. Edna B. Pence, Seattle, and Jessie Cowden, of Bellingham; one son, Arthur, of Bellingham; fourteen grandchildren. The remains are in the care of the O. R. Hollingsworth funeral home.
(From The Bellingham Herald, November 3, 1922) Submitted by site coordinator.

COWDEROY, Walter H. (d. 1902)

One of the saddest of deaths was that of Walter H. Cowderoy which occurred at the hospital for the insane at Stileacoom (sic) on last Monday. About one year ago Mr. Cowderoy was stricken with paralysis of the brain and he was taken to the hospital for treatment. There had been no perceptible gain in his condition and on Monday he succumbed to a second stroke. Prior to his sickness he was a prominent business man of this city and was popularly known as "Harry" Cowderoy. He was a member of the Knights of Pythias and was a most popular fellow with all. The body arrived here Friday and was taken in charge by the Knights of Pythias lodge. Mr. Cowderoy leaves a wife and five children to mourn the loss of a kind and loving father. The sympathy of all is with the widow and orphans in this their hour of bereavement. There were some very fine floral tributes by the many friends, the Women of Woodcraft of which his daughter is a member and the K. of P. lodge.
(From The Blaine Journal, February 21, 1902) Submitted by site coordinator.

COWGILL, Lillian (d. 1925)

After a residence of almost forty years in Bellingham, Mrs. Lillian Cowgill, 52, wife of E. L. Cowgill, well known pioneer, for whom Cowgill avenue was named, died Thursday afternoon at her home, 132 South Forest street. Aside from her husband, she is survived by two daughters, Mrs. George McMillan, La Conner, and Mrs. G. L. Mulder, Bellingham, and two grandchildren. Mr. Cowgill is connected with the Samish Bay Logging Company. Funeral services will be held Saturday at 2 p. m. at Arthur C. Harlow's mortuary, with the Rev. James M. Wilson, minister of St. James Presbyterian church, officiating. cremation will follow.
(From The Bellingham Herald, March 13, 1925) Submitted by site coordinator.

CRABTREE, Arnold R. (d. 1911)

Arnold Raymond Crabtree was buried in Lynden, Monday, Feb. 6th. He is the young son, of Mr. W. H. Crabtree, of Meroni, Saskatchewan, Canada. Mr. Crabtree has been living in Saskatchewan for a few years and on the death of his son, he shipped his body to Lynden for burial. Mr. Crabtree was about to move here to make his permanent home. The burial services were conducted by J. M. Wilder, pastor of the Methodist Church. Arnold Raymond Crabtree, the subject of this sketch - was an exemplary, almost model young man, had fair prospects of a long and useful life, but succumbed to death at the early age of twenty-one. Besides his own family he leaves a large number of relatives around Lynden to mourn his death.
(From The Lynden Tribune, February 9, 1911) Submitted by site coordinator.

CRABTREE, Henrietta E. (d. 1921)

A large gathering of friends attended funeral services Sunday at the Mission Church for the late Mrs. Henrietta E. Crabtree. Elder Ernst and the Rev. E. C. Downing conducted the services.
Mrs. Henrietta E. Crabtree was born Jan. 3, 1901 in Langford, S. D. At the age of eighteen months, she was left motherless, and made her home of a number of years with Mr. and Mrs. Horace Thompson. When about nine years old, she came to Lynden to live with her father, William H. Bliss. On Sept. 14, 1918, she was married to Harry B. Crabtree. She was a devoted wife and mother -- her greatest ambition being to give her own baby what she was deprived of -- the love and guidance of a loving mother. She leaves to mourn her loss her husband, baby daughter, father, and a host of relatives and friends.
(From The Lynden Tribune, January 27, 1921) Submitted by site coordinator.

CRAM, Minnie (d. 1908)

Mrs. Minnie W. Cram died at the home of her parents, Mr. and Mrs. Whitford, on Martin street, at nine o'clock last Sunday morning. Mrs. Cram was born in Richland county, Wisconsin, July 3, 1866, and was married to Mr. Cram on September 27, 1885. She came to Washington from Michigan last July. The funeral services were conducted by the Eastern Star on Monday afternoon at 3 o'clock and the remains were laid to rest in the Blaine Cemetery. She is survived by her husband and parents.
(From The Blaine Journal, February 21, 1908) Submitted by site coordinator.

CRAMER, Joseph (d. 1914)

On Monday evening, February 2, another of the valley's honored and respected citizens, Joseph Cramer, was called by death to the life beyond the grave. Mr. Cramer came to Happy Valley in 1889 and built his home below the town of Fairhaven. There his five children, who with their mother, survive him, were born. They are Mrs. Lizzie Reeves, of Bellingham, Joseph, Carrie, William and Jacob, who reside at the Cramer home three miles north of town. This has been the family home for the past nine years. The deceased was 53 years, 8 months and 18 days of age. He was a member of the A. O. U. W., and a man of strict honesty and integrity. He never took a great interest in political matters but was at all times an advocate of purity in the administration of public affairs. He was a man of high ideals and took great pleasure in the happy atmosphere of home life. His death, which was due to cancer from which he had suffered for some time, is mourned by all who knew him. Funeral services were held at the family home yesterday at twelve o'clock, Rev. Herbert Jones officiating. Interment was in the Lynden cemetery.
(From The Lynden Tribune, February 5, 1914) Submitted by site coordinator.

CRANDALL, Melissa (d.1921)

Mrs. Milissa (sic) Crandall, aged 61 years, passed away at a local hospital Saturday, April 23, after an illness of several years. Mrs. Crandall had resided in Whatcom county for thirty-two years. Her late residence was near Noon Station. She was a member of the Baptist church of Sumas and is survived by her husband, Andrew J. Crandall, four sons and four daughters, Mrs. W. C. Herrick, Ferry Bank, Alberta; Mrs. Walter George of Chewelah, Wash.; Mrs. F. Gottschalk, of Bellingham; Mrs. Walter Ingram, Lacomb, Alberta; Harry and Marcus Crandall, of Ferry Bank, Alberta; Curtis and Chester, of Bellingham; also two sisters, Mrs. G. R. *Thollheimer, of Sumas, and Mrs. L. M. McKenzie, of Bellingham. The remains are being cared for at the service parlors of Harry O. Bingham, 120-122 Prospect street. Funeral announcements will be made later. *Thallheimer??
(From The Bellingham Herald, April 24, 1921) Submitted by site coordinator.

CRANDELL Lillian R. (d. 1924)

Mrs. Lillian Rose Crandell, aged 53 years, beloved wife of Sanford E. Crandell, passed away suddenly at the family home, 1325 Raymond street, at a late hour Thursday evening, March 27. Mrs. Crandell had been a resident of Bellingham for the past seventeen years and leaves many friends who will sadly mourn the news of her demise. She is survived by her husband, five sons, Ward, Sanford, Thomas, Millard, Perry and Lloyd, all of Bellingham; three daughters, Mrs. Charles Ballard, Mrs. Harry Hubbard, and Miss Irene Crandell, all of Bellingham; her father, Tom J. Andrus of Humbird, Wis.; four sisters, Mrs. Joe Hartman of Bellingham, Mrs. Joseph Doyle of Sturgeon Bay, Wis.; Mrs. Frank Glasier of Leola, S. D. and Mrs. Reno Iehl, of Allegan, Mich.; three brothers, Harvey Andrus of Yakima, Wash.; Sherman Andrus of Chicago, and Tom Andrus of Montana, and five grandchildren. Mrs. Crandell was a member of the Mothers' club and of the Wisconsin club. The remains are being card for at the Homer Mark mortuary, 1146 Elk street, successor to the Whitfield-Mark company, and funeral announcements will be made later.
(From The Bellingham Herald, March 28, 1924) Copied by Merrily Lawson.

CRASKE, James G. (d. 1921)

James Gooderham Craske, for eighteen years in the grocery and produce business in Bellingham and one of the city's most respected business men, died early Tuesday morning at his home, 2300 D street, after an illness of one week. He had been actively engaged in his business up until he became acutely ill. Mr. Craske was 70 years old, and was born in Suffolk, England, and came to Canada when a young man, locating at Winnipeg, Manitoba, where he was engaged in business before coming to Bellingham. Soon after arriving here he engaged in the grocery business and owned a grocery store at 900 West Holly street and the poultry business in the Bellingham Public Market. He divided his time between the two places. Mr. Craske was of a jovial disposition, alway responding to the needs of others and was held in high esteem by those who knew him. The deceased man is survived by his widow, five daughters, Mrs. P. M. Graves, Mrs. Alex Tamm and Miss Violet Craske, of Bellingham; Mrs. Hilda Tuson, Miss Flossie Craske, of Vancouver, B. C., and three sons,, William and Fred, of Bellingham, and James E., of Calgary, Alt.; one brother in Victoria, B. C., and a sister in Australia and two brothers and one sister in England. Funeral services will be held Thursday afternoon at 2 o'clock at St. Paul's Episcopal church. Rev. Turrill will conduct the services. A. C. Harlow has charge of the funeral arrangements. The remains are resting at home.
(From The Bellingham Herald, February 3, 1921) Submitted by site coordinator.

CRAVEN, Arthur J. (d. 1925)

Arthur J. Craven, brilliant lawyer, a student of life's deeper problems and a keen lover of nature, died at 3:15 this morning at St. Joseph hospital, where he had been a patient for two and one-half months. Mr. Craven was 67 years of age and during his twenty-four years' residence in Bellingham had made many warm friends. He was held in high esteem by the members of the Whatcom County Bar association, of which he was a member, and by the membership of the other organizations to which he belonged - Fairhaven lodge, No. 73, F. & A. M.; the Twentieth Century club, the Hobby club, the Mt. Baker club, and Service Camp, No. 371, Woodmen of the World. Mr. Craven also was a member of the library board at the time of his death.

Mr. Craven is survived by his widow, Mrs. Emily K. Craven 310 Pine street; two sons, Leslie Craven, a Chicago attorney, who visited his father here a short time ago, and Wilson Craven, a student at the Leland Stanford university when he was called home by his father's illness; one daughter, Miss Margaret Craven, of San Jose, Calif., and four brothers, Edwin Craven, Seattle; Herman W. Craven and Alfred Craven, of Washington, D. C., and R. C. Craven, of Omaha, Neb. Private funeral services for the immediate family only will be held at Arthur C. Harlow's mortuary on Saturday, after which the officers and members of Fairhaven lodge, No. 73, F. & A. M. will meet at the Masonic temple at 2:30 p. m., and go to the Harlow mortuary, where they will join the funeral cortege, leaving for Bay View cemetery at 3 p. m. At the graveside Masonic honors will be given. Friends are asked to omit flowers.

Mr. Craven was one of Bellingham's most sterling citizens and his high qualities were widely recognized and universally admired. Though brilliant, he was unassuming. He was a genial companion and one who looked on life and its multiform problems philosophically and sympathetically. His love of nature was intense. This affection drew him often to the mountains and he was one of the best posted men in Bellingham on the Mount Baker district. His last outing there was made in the summer of 1924.

Arthur J. Craven was born on December 12, 1857, at Madison, Ind. With four brothers he graduated from the University of Iowa and during his university days won many honors in oratory. He was a member of the Tau Delta Tau fraternity. Mr. Craven was admitted to the bar at Newton, Ohio, in 1882, and began the practice of law in Montana, where he also was active in political affairs of the state. He was a member of the constitutional convention of Montana, of which Senator W. A. Clark was chairman. Mr. Craven is the third member of that convention to die within the last two months. He was a member of the Montana legislature in 1895 and 1896. He came to Bellingham from Helena, Mont., in 1901, and had made his residence in Bellingham since that time.

One of the warmest tributes paid Mr. Craven was voiced today by Will D. Pratt, president of the Mount Baker club, who recalls that Mr. Craven was one of the prime movers in the club's organization, and one of its most valued members. He always took a hearty interest in the club's affairs and on all outings to the Mount Baker region he could always be relied upon to provide entertainment at the evening campfires. Sometimes he recited a poem and again he related stories. Mr. Craven was a poet of ability himself, his compositions usually being lofty in theme and frequently descriptive of nature or her moods. Many of his poems were inspired by his ramblings in the mountains. His thoughts were well phrased. Mr. Pratt says that he seemed to be well informed on all subjects, but he was never a poser and discussed everything calmly and without affectation. His conversations were always informative and interesting and those who knew him best highly valued his friendship, his companionship qualities and his other sterling characteristics.
(From The Bellingham Herald, April 2, 1925) Submitted by Steve Craven

CRAWFORD, John L. (d. 1892)

CRAWFORD, Robert B. (d. 1929)

Veteran In Railway Service of Two Nations Passes.
Robert B. Crawford, who spent fifty-one years in the railway service in the United States and Canada, died at 8:30 a. m. today at the home of his daughter, Miss Bertha Elizabeth Crawford, 701 Forest street, a member of the Bellingham State Normal school faculty, with whom he had lived for the last eighteen months. Death followed a third paralytic stroke, which came a few days ago. The first stroke occurred several months ago in Seattle.

Mr. Crawford, who was born May 31, 1854, at Larch hall, Scotland, is survived by his widow, Mrs. Margaret D. Crawford, city; two daughters, Miss Bertha Elizabeth Crawford, Bellingham, and Mrs. Maggie Lawrie Andrew, Port Arthur, Ont., Canada; one son, Murray G. Crawford, who is prominently connected with the Northern Pacific railway in Seattle; one sister, Mrs. Elizabeth Powis, Hamilton, Ont., Canada; six grandchildren and one great-grandson.

For thirty years Mr. Crawford was with the Northern Pacific railway in the yard service and as yardmaster at Superior, Wis., and in Tacoma, giving twenty years of that service in Tacoma. He was in the employ of the Canadian National and Canadian Pacific railways. He retired four years ago. Mr. Crawford was a member of the First Congregational church at Tacoma. He was a charter member of the London, St. Thomas and Winnipeg divisions of the Order of Railway Conductors. The London division was organized forty-eight years ago. He was a member at his death of Division No. 249 of the Order of Railway Conductors at Tacoma. Mr. Crawford also held membership in the Order of the Royal Arcanum No. 1307, of Tacoma, joining the order forty-nine years ago. Relatives ask that newspapers in Seattle, Tacoma and Superior, Wis., copy this notice of Mr. Crawford's death. Funeral services will be held at the Harlow mortuary at 2 p. m. Monday, with the Rev. Dwight C. Smith, pastor of the First Congregational church, officiating. Interment will occur in Bay View cemetery.
(From The Bellingham Herald, January 4, 1929) Submitted by site coordinator.

CRAWFORD, Mrs. William (d. 1928)

Mrs. William Crawford, since 1889 a resident of Blaine and vicinity, and one of the earliest settlers east of Blaine, passed away last Friday at the home of her son, William Crawford Jr., on rural route No. 1, Ferndale. She was nearly 79 years of age. Funeral services were held Sunday afternoon at 2 o'clock in the Baptist church at Lynden, Rev. A. N. West of the Free Methodist church preaching the sermon and Rev. H. V. Haslam of Blaine assisting. Burial took place in the Lynden cemetery.

Deceased was born at Calabogie, Ontario, August 7, 1849. She was married there in 1871 to William Crawford. They immediately moved to Lanark, Ontario, where they resided until the year 1889, when they came west and selected a homestead 7 miles east of Blaine. In those days there was nothing more than a trail leading from their homestead into Blaine. They resided on their homestead until four years ago when failing health and the infirmities of old age forced them to give up work. They have resided with their son since. The aged husband, one son, William Jr., and one daughter, Mrs. Robert Eckford, of Blaine survive. Also three grandchildren, Mrs. Harry DeVries of Bellingham, Walter Eckford of Seattle and H. W. Eckford of Tacoma. Mrs. Crawford lived a consistent Christian life and was loved and respected by all who had been fortunate enough to know her.
(From The Blaine Journal-Press, May 17, 1928) Submitted by site coordinator.

CREGG, Edith F. (d. 1929)

CRILLY, Joseph S. (d. 1931)

Funeral services for Joseph Smith Crilly, who passed away Tuesday evening, March 10, 1931 at the St. Joseph's hospital in Bellingham, Whatcom county, Washington, will be held tomorrow (Friday) afternoon in Blaine at 2 o'clock in Christ Episcopal church with Canon E. B. Smith of Bellingham officiating. Surviving are the widow, one daughter, Mrs. Eleannor Waage of Oakland, one son, Paul H. Crilly of Glacier and four grandchildren. Pallbearers will be Herbert E. Simonds, W. J. Burton, Louis Montfort, Charles Hunter, all of Blaine and Walter B. Whitcomb and Will Lawson, both of Bellingham. Interment will be made in Greenacres Memorial park, at the four corners, near Ferndale.
(From The Blaine Journal-Press, March 12, 1931) Submitted by site coordinator.

CRIPPEN, Hester (d. 1925)

After a long illness Mrs. Hester Crippen, aged 72 years, passed away at her home here on Monday morning, Nov. 2. Besides her husband, Frank Crippen, she leaves to mourn her passing from the family circle one daughter, Mrs. Peter Branderberry of Forks, and two sons, Ira and Otis Crippen, of Burlington; also several grandchildren and a sister, Mrs. George Hueston of Nooksack. The remains were taken to the Gillies Funeral Home at Sumas, where the funeral occurred on Wednesday afternoon and interment took place in the Sumas cemetery. In her early womanhood Mrs. Crippen was a teacher, and all through her life until failing health prevented she took an active part in church and Sunday school affairs and never lost interest in the Women's Christian Temperance Union, in which she was an ardent worker for many years. A long resident in Maple Falls endeared her to a host of friends who will miss her and much sympathy is extended to the bereaved family in their sorrow.
(From The Deming Prospector, November 6, 1925) Submitted by site coordinator.

CRITCHLOW, Benjamin D. (d. 1922)

Benjamin D. Critchlow, aged 78 years, passed away at his home at 2401 Queen street, Sunday morning, November 19. The deceased was a captain of infantry in the Civil war and was a graduate of the West Point national military academy. He was a member of Pieffer post G.A.R. at Alamosa, Colo. The only surviving relative is one son, Oscar B. Critchlow, of Bellingham. Funeral services will be held Tuesday afternoon, November 21, at 2 o’clock, from the Whitfield-Mark funeral parlors, 1146 Elk street. Rev. James M. Wilson, of the St. James Presbyterian church, will officiate. Interment will be made in the family plot in Bay View cemetery.
(From The Bellingham Herald, November 20, 1922) Submitted by Merrily Lawson.

CROCKER, Lemuel N. (d. 1932)

Lemuel N. Crocker, aged 73 years, beloved husband of Mrs. Bessie A. Crocker, passed away at the family home, 2726 Franklin street, Thursday morning, June 23, after an illness of about eight years. Surviving relatives, besides his widow, are one daughter, Mrs. S. R. Boynton, city; one son, Percy W. Crocker, Vancouver, B. C.; one sister and one brother, Mrs. Octavia Meigs and John W. Crocker, both residing in Massachusetts; seven grandchildren, Mrs. Ethel Boynton Crook, Miss Hope Boynton, Miss Betty Boynton, Miss Lois Boynton and Solon R. Boynton, all residing in Bellingham; Earl W. Crocker, Brocton, Mass., and Merlin L. Crocker, Vancouver, B. C. Mr. Crocker was a member of the First Presbyterian church and a member of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows at Wareham, Mass., and had resided in Bellingham for the past fifteen years. The body rests at the Homer Mark Mortuary, at Cornwall avenue and Halleck street, where funeral services will be held Saturday afternoon, June 25, at 2 o'clock with the Rev. Robert L. Peterson, pastor of the First Advent Christian church, officiating. Interment will be made in the family plot in Greenacres Memorial Park.
(From The Bellingham Herald, June 24, 1932) Submitted by site coordinator.

CROOME, Charles H. (d. 1919)

CROSS, Joseph F. (d. 1918)

   In the best of spirits and feeling better in point of health than for several days, announcing Friday evening that he intended going fishing the next day, Dr. J. F. Cross, veteran physician and pioneer of Bellingham, was called by death early yesterday morning at the home of his daughter, Mrs. L. H. Hadley, 147 Forest street. His death followed failing health since last fall, suffering frequent attacks of heart trouble since that time. Funeral services will be held at the residence Tuesday afternoon at 2:30 o'clock. Burial will be in Bay View cemetery. The funeral will be in charge of Masonic orders under the direction of H. O. Bingham.
   Dr. Cross was born March 25, 1834, at Hanover, Virginia, where he spent his boyhood. He was graduated from Jefferson medical college in Philadelphia just at the outbreak of the Civil War. He left college to enter the service of the South with the forces of Virginia and served until the day at Appomatox.
   At the close of the war he entered the enemy country by moving to Rockville, Indiana, where he engaged in the practice of medicine. There among his one-time enemies he built up and maintained a large and successful practice, his name being a household word in the town and for miles around.
   In 1890, when his only daughter, Mrs. L. H. Hadley, having decided to move to Whatcom, now Bellingham, although well along in years, Dr. Cross gave up his practice in Indiana and located in the new Northwest. For seventeen years he was ranked with the leading and most successful physicians of the Bellingham Bay cities, or until 1907, when he decided to retire.
   From early manhood Dr. Cross was a devoted member of the Masonic fraternity, and was at the time of his death and may years prior a member of both the York and Scottish rites of that order. He was a member of Bellingham Bay Lodge No. 44 and of all the Scottish rite bodies in the Valley of Bellingham; a member and past commander of Hesperus Commandery No. 8, and even in his advanced years was a loyal and faithful attendant at various meetings of those bodies. Funeral ceremonies will be conducted by the Masonic fraternities.
   Rugged of body, almost inclined to be so in temperament when about the world, his disposition was entirely different in the sick room. Once there his became the sympathetic nature and there would come a merry, pleasant twinkle to the eye that in itself was a palliative to the sufferer; he especially was liked by children because of the tenderness of his professional ministrations, and all his life this trait of character lasted - he loved children and was loved by them. Among his fellows he was alway welcomed for his keen wit and humor. He believed in living for what it gave, and carried out this belief by giving freely of energy, intellect and materially to those about him.
   A lover of good horses, he kept only the best. When he came to Bellingham he imported a beautiful sorrel mare which he drove for many years in his practice. When her usefulness ended he sought long for a place to leave her where he knew good treatment could be assured. He found a place and gave the faithful animal to a rancher with one observation: "I probably never will call for her. But if you mistreat her, I will take her back."
   A tribute to the deceased pioneer would not be complete without something said of his love for the great outdoors. He found best expression for this devotion in fishing. For the last several years he spent a great deal of his time out on Lake Whatcom. He probably knew the haunts and habits of the trout better than any other person. He was a devotee of the rod and reel, almost never tasted fish himself, but taking delight in remembering his friends.
   Word was received yesterday from Congressman L. H. Hadley that he will be unable to come for the funeral. Mrs. Virginia Trafton, granddaughter, will come from her home in California, and thus all the surviving blood relatives will be present for the last rites.
(From The Bellingham Herald, July 7, 1918) Submitted by site coordinator.

CROSS, Melvin W. (d. 1901)

Melvin W. Cross, a brother of John Cross, a former resident of this city dropped dead of heart failure on last Friday evening, at his home near Ferndale. Mr. Cross worked all day Friday with his brother-in-law, cutting shingle bolts. He came to his boarding place in the evening, seeming more cheerful than usual. He sat and talked until between 7 and 8 o'clock, when he took his umbrella and started, as was supposed, to his lodging near by. God alone known what happened after that. He was not found until 10 o'clock the next morning, near the place of an old man who lives alone near there. This man says that Cross came in as he was preparing for bed. As Cross was leaving, he said, "Don't go to bed - I will be back in a few minutes;" but he did not wait. That was the last time that Cross was seen alive. He was found exactly as he fell, partly on his hands and knees, with his face in his hat. The doctor certified after the post mortem examination that he died instantly from natural causes. It is evident that he never moved after the fall, but it can never be known whether death was caused by the fall, or if it came first. He had, apparently, tripped over an obstruction. It was a terrible blow to the family. Deceased was a son of Mrs. G. H. Abers, who lives at the head of Drayton Harbor near this city. The shock was a severe one to her. She had gone down to Ferndale on the morning the body was found to visit her son, and learned of his death as she arrived and was met at the depot. The mother was griefstricken over the terrible news. Friends and relatives were exceedingly kind and gave sympathy and comfort in her affliction. The funeral was held Sunday, Rev. Monroe, of the Baptist church of Ferndale officiating. The remains were placed at rest in the cemetery at Enterprise.
(From The Blaine Journal, September 27, 1901) Submitted by site coordinator.

CROSS, Sam (d. 1911)

Sam Cross died of dropsy last Friday evening. He was buried with honors by the Masons, Sunday. Mr. Cross had been sick for some time, though he was up and around all of the time. Toward the last he bad been cared for by George Whipple. At the time of his death he was alone. His friends found the body upright in his chair near the door of his home. Mr. Cross was a widower and had lived alone ever since he has been in Washington. He has some relatives in Michigan but none of them were here during his illness nor for the funeral. V. F. Randall had always been one of his closest friends. The funeral services were held in the Methodist church. The burial was in the Lynden cemetery.
(From The Lynden Tribune, August 24, 1911) Submitted by site coordinator.

CRUIKSHANK, Andrew (d. 1923)

Andrew Cruikshank, Civil War veteran and member of the G. A. R. and the Garden Street Methodist Episcopal church, died at his home, 2511 Lynn street, Tuesday afternoon, at the age of 81 years, after a long illness. He had lived in Bellingham for the last twenty-one years. Mr. Cruikshank is survived by his widow, Mrs. Pauline B. Cruikshank; four sons, Norman, of Bellingham; Elmer, of Montviedo, Minn.; Joseph of Bovey, Minn., and Raymond, of McKenna, Wash., and six daughters, Jennie H. Harrington, Vergens, Vt.; Mrs. O. P. Salisbury, Bejou, Minn.; Mrs. W. W. Salisbury, Seahurst, Wash.; Mrs. L. A. Blakeslee, Bellingham; Mrs. Sadie Clair, Minneapolis, and Mrs. Robert Wallace, Burlington, Wash. Funeral services will be held at the family home Thursday at 2:30 p. m. with Dr. J. C. Harrison officiating. Interment will be made in Bay View cemetery, under the direction of O. R. Hollingsworth.
(From The Bellingham Herald, June 20, 1923) Submitted by site coordinator.

CRUIKSHANK, Ellen (d. 1922)

Mrs. D. Cruikshank passed away a few hours after a stroke of paralysis which came to her in the morning. Mrs. Ellen Cruikshank was born Sep. 25, 1849, and had just celebrated her 73rd birthday. Besides her husband, she is survived by one son, Frank Cruikshank, and a sister, Mrs. W. W. Thompson of Buffalo, Minn. She was loved by all who knew her, and was continually working for the comfort and welfare of others. Rev. E. O. Grimes will be in charge of the funeral services at 1:30 Friday afternoon at Knapp's Parlors.
(From The Lynden Tribune, October 5, 1922) Submitted by site coordinator.

CRYDERMAN, Dora (d. 1933)

v One of Northwest Washington's most estimable pioneers, Mrs. Dora Wellman Cryderman, died Thursday at her home in Blanchard. She had been in ill health several years. Mrs. Cryderman was 65 years of age and had lived in Bellingham and vicinity fifty years. She was the wife of J. J. Cryderman, well known civil engineer, who in the early days of Northwest Washington often penetrated mountain fastnesses (sic) in making railroad and other surveys. Members of the Clam Diggers' club, of Lynden, to which Mrs. Cryderman belonged, will recall that she was the only speaker at their annual reunion in that city Armistice day, November 11. Mrs. Cryderman also was a member of Chief Whatcom chapter Daughters of the American Revolution. Relatives surviving, aside from the husband, are one sister, Mrs. Edith Wellman Popham, Clarkston, Wash., and two nieces, Shirley Popham, a senior at the University of Washington, and Vivian Wellman, Bellingham. Funeral announcements will be made by the Homer Mark mortuary.
(From The Bellingham Herald, November 24, 1933) Submitted by site coordinator.

CUDWORTH, Kate (d. 1904)

Kate Kuhn was born in Lancaster, Wis., June 13, 1849, reared on farm, qualified herself as teacher at the Platville Normal; taught school in her home county (Grant); came to Iowa; taught school in Chickasaw, also taught in Hamilton county, Nebraska, until March, 1879. She was married to C. L. Cudworth on March 28, 1879, and resided on the home farm until the following spring of 1880, moved to Seattle, resided there until August, 1882, then came to Whatcom where she has since resided. Mrs. Cudworth leaves to mourn her death a kind husband; a son, Hugh; a daughter, Grace; one sister, Mrs. Mary Westing, of this city, and three brothers -- Fred, of Nashua, Ia., who is here on a visit, Emery, residing in Aurora, Nebraska; and Jasper, of New Hamption, Ia.; and her nieces -- Mrs. Clara Burton and Fannie Brinkman of this city, and others besides her numerous friends in this city. Her death occurred January 25, 1904, at their home, 2422 Elm street, Whatcom. The funeral services will be held from the United Presbyterian church this afternoon at one o'clock, and will be conducted by Rev. W. R. Cox.
(From The Bellingham Reveille, January 27, 1904) Copied by Merrily Lawson.

CURE, Harry B. (d. 1924)

Harry Benjamin Cure, a member of the Albert Hamilton post of the American Legion, who contracted tuberculosis while in the overseas service, passed away at Ashland, Ore., Sunday, at the age of 33 years while enroute to Arizona for his health. Mr. Cure had lived in this county for 16 years and was a member of the Knights of Pythias lodge at Deming. Those who survive him are his widow, Mrs. Elsie Cure, and two young daughters, residing at 1208 Maple street, Bellingham; his mother, Mrs. F. S. Cure of Deming, and two sisters and one brother. The remains were shipped to A. C. Harlow of Bellingham for interment.
Card of Thanks signed by: Mrs. Elsie Cure, Mrs. S. A. Cure, M. W. Cure and Mr. & Mrs. Lee Hatton.
(From The Deming Prospector, August 8, 15 and 22, 1924) Submitted by site coordinator.

CURRIER, Eveline S. (d. 1916)

CURTIS, Alvin A. (d. 1906)

Alvin A. Curtis, 66 years of age, a veteran of the Civil war, died at the family residence, 26144 Cherry street, Sunday evening at 7:45 o'clock of heart disease. Mr. Curtis has resided in this city with his family since last September, coming here from Lopez Island, where he had long resided. He is survived by his widow, two daughters, Misses Inez and Ida Curtis, and a son, Glenn Curtis, all living here. A sister of Mr. Curtis, Mrs. J. E. Hart, also lives in this city. The funeral announcement will be made later.

The funeral services for the late Alvin A. Curtis, who died at his residence, 2614 Cherry street, last Sunday evening, will be conducted at the mortuary chapel of W. H. Mock & Sons in the Maple block, 1055 Elk street, today at 10:30 a. m., under the auspices of J. B. Steadman Post, No. 24, Grand Army of the Republic, of which organization, the deceased was a member, having served during the War of the Rebellion in Company B, Thirty-second regiment, Wisconsin volunteer infantry. The Rev. Charles E. Todd, pastor of Trinity Methodist Episcopal church, will be the officiating clergyman, and he will be assisted by Rev. C. W. Stephens, an intimate friend of the family, who resides at Nooksack, this county. The impressive burial services of the G. A. R. will be read at the grave, interment to take place in Bay View cemetery. The funeral car will be in waiting at the corner of Eldridge avenue and Cherry street at 9:45 a. m. for the purpose of conveying the family and intimate friends to the chapel in the Maple block.
(From The Bellingham Reveille, May 29 & 31, 1906) Submitted by site coordinator.

CURTIS, Hale S. (d. 1924)

Hale S. Curtis, aged 17 years, son of Mr. and Mrs. Harry Curtis of Alger, passed away at a local hospital early Saturday morning, May 10, after an illness of about six weeks. The family has lived at Alger for the past year, and prior to that time were residents of Seattle. Surviving relatives other than the parents are one brother, Mabry, and one sister, Carol, at home, and the grandparents, Mr. and Mrs. D. W. Simmons of Seattle. The body rests at the Harlow mortuary home, Holly and Forest streets, where funeral services will be held Sunday morning, May 11, at 11 o'clock, with Rev. B. K. McElmon officiating, and cremation will follow.
(From The Bellingham Herald, May 10, 1724) Submitted by Merrily Lawson.

CUSIN, Gabriel J. (d. 1911)

Galviel (sic) Justin Cusin, passed away at the family home near Northwood, Wednesday morning, at 4:30 a. m. after a lingering illness of three months. Mr. Cusin was 53 years and two days of age having been born in Savell, France, Dec. 4, 1858. He came to America in 1880, was married to Mary Claudine Thevenet, January 9, 1888, at Breaux Bridge, Louisiana. Of this union six children were born, five of whom are still living. The funeral services were held at the Catholic church in Lynden on Friday, afternoon, by Rev. Father B. Boulett. Interment was made in the Lynden cemetery.
Card of Thanks signed by: Mrs. G. J. Cusin, Miss Jennie Cusin, Lucie Cusin, Louise Cusin, Justine Cusin and Lawrence Cusin.
(From The Lynden Tribune, December 14, 1911) Submitted by site coordinator.

CUSTER, A. W. (d. 1933)

Founder of Whatcom County Town Called By Death
A. W. Custer, 72, founder of the town of Custer, died at his home in Mount Vernon Thursday night following a heart attack. Mr. Custer was a former Whatcom county auditor and assessor, was a well known clothing merchant of Sehome in the early days. He came west from Indiana in 1883 and founded a post office at what is now Custer. Later he moved to Sehome and became manager for Greenberg Brothers, clothiers. Later he established the A. W. Custer store at Railroad avenue and Holly streets in the old Craft building. After fifteen years in the mercantile business Mr. Custer went East and later moved to Mount Vernon, where he established a tailor shop. He remained in business in that city for many years.

Mr. Custer is survived by his widow, a son, Charles A. Custer, of Seattle; a daughter, Mrs. Grace O. Anderson, of Bellingham; three grandchildren, Lois and Charles Custer, of Seattle, and Dolly Anderson, of Bellingham, and the following step-children, Miss Marjorie Ropes, Ray Ropes and Mrs. Edward Schnebele, all of Mount Vernon, Mrs. Lena Michaud, Bellingham, and Mrs. Dorothy Hall, Arizona. Funeral services will be held from the Aaron Light chapel in Mount Vernon Sunday at 3:30 p. m.
(From The Bellingham Herald, September 8, 1933) Submitted by site coordinator.

CUSTER, Jacob D. (d. 1925)

Jacob David Custer, one of the prominent residents of Park township and a merchant at Park for many years, died Sunday at 9 a. m. at his home, 2316 Cornwall avenue, aged 63 years and two months. He had been confined to his home about one month. Funeral services will be conducted at Arthur C. Harlow's mortuary Wednesday at 1:30 p. m. with the Rev. P. M. Ford officiating, assisted by the Rev. B. K. McElmon. Interment will take place in Bay View Abbey, where the officers of the Bay City Encampment No. 23, I. O. O. F., will conduct ritualistic services.

Mr. Custer was a Whatcom county pioneer. He was born at Napoleon, Ind., January 1, 1862. Coming to Washington in 1888, he settled on a homestead on the South Fork of the Nooksack river near Acme. After proving up he established a store at Park in 1906, and had conducted it ever since. He married in 1897, to which union was born one son, who died at the age of 18 years.

Mr. Custer was superintendent of the Park Sunday school for many years; treasurer of the Park township board and a director on the Park school board. He took an active part in all things designed for the betterment of his community. Mr. Custer was a member of Whatcom camp No. 5198, Modern Woodmen of America, of this city; Blue Canyon lodge No. 182 of Park; Bay City encampment No. 23, I. O. O. F. of Bellingham, and Climax Rebekah lodge No. 188 of Acme. Mr. Custer had been very active in the I. O. O. F. at Park, having been past noble grand, district deputy and delegate to the grand lodge for many years. Mr. Custer is survived by one brother, H. P. Custer of this city, and recently of Holton, Ind.; two sisters, Mrs. Fred Zobrist of Acme and Mrs. Ida Furlow of Holton, Ind., a number of nieces and nephews and numerous friends.
(From The Bellingham Herald, March 2, 1925) Submitted by site coordinator.

CUTLER, Harvy H. (d. 1966)

CUTLER-Harvey H. Cutler, age 80, formerly of 701 10th Street, passed away in a local nursing home Monday, February 14. Mr. Cutler was a school bus driver before retiring and was a member of the Townsend Club. Survivors are three sons, Quentin, Arlington, Texas; Wilbur, Vallejo, Calif., and Leland of Sacramento, Calif. The remains rest at the JONES FUNERAL HOME where services will be conducted by Rev. John R. Qualley Friday, February 18 at 3 p.m. Burial will follow in Greenacres Memorial Park.
(From The Bellingham Herald, February 14, 1966) Submitted by Merrily Lawson

CUTLER, Althea R. (d. 1959)

Mrs. Althea R. Cutler, 63 a resident of Bellingham for 42 years, died in a local hospital Saturday. She was a member of the Fairhaven Methodist Church, Fairhaven Townsend Club, Women's Federation of Home Demonstration Clubs and WCTU. She is survived by her husband, Harvey S. Cutler, at home at 251 H. St.; five sons, Wilbur H. Bellingham; Leland C., Sacramento, Calif.; Quenten R., Colorado Springs, Colo.; Kenneth C. Appleton, Seattle, and Harry M. Appleton of Tujunga, Calif.; two daughters, Mrs. Florence McMechan, Enumclaw, and Mrs. Audrey Fultz, Silverdale; 12 grandchildren, 21 greatgrandchildren and a brother Wilbur E. Taylor, Bellingham. Funeral services will be conducted by the Rev. Don Kaelin at 1 p.m. Wednesday at the Jones Funeral Home.
(From The Bellingham Herald, September 7, 1959) Submitted by Merrily Lawson

Back to Obituary Index

Back to Whatcom GenWeb Home Page