Whatcom County Obituaries

Surnames Beginning with "V"

VAIL, Richard (d. 1922)

Richard Vail, well known pioneer farmer of Whatcom county died at his home in Portland, Ore., Sunday evening after an illness of about six weeks. His passing was unexpected. Mr. Vail was 74 years of age and until 1917 resided on his big farm the meadows near here. He retired five years ago and moved to Portland for the benefit of Mrs. Vail's health. He was a native of Wisconsin and first came to this county about 35 years ago, farming for a time near North Bellingham before taking up his abode on the farm near Ferndale. Mr. Vail displayed sterling qualities to his friends and was held in high esteem by a large number of friends. Mr. Vail is survived by his widow, six sons, Dan Vail, of Bellingham, Jay Vail, of Seattle, Richard Vail Jr., of San Francisco, Ed, Gene and Murray Vail, of Portland, and three daughters, Mrs. Fred Heath Smith, of Seattle, Miss Virginia Vail, of Portland and Sister Mary Justina, of St. Joseph's Academy, Nelson, B. C., as well as three grandchildren. His daughter, Sister Mary Justina spent a week with her father during his recent illness. Funeral services were held Thursday morning form St. Joseph's Catholic church here with Father Joseph Schmidt officiating. Interment was made in Woodlawn cemetery under the direction of George A. Monroe.
(From The Ferndale Record, May 5, 1922) Submitted by site coordinator.

VALE, Robert A. (d. 1936)

Ill for several months, Robert A. Vale, who came here from Long Beach, California, several months ago to visit his daughter, Mrs. C. M. Ward, Route No. 2, Bellingham, died at the Ward home Friday morning, aged 92 years. He was a veteran of the Civil war and was a member of G. A. R. post No. 181, of Long Beach. He also was a member of the Friends church and of Lodge 262, F & A. M., Attica, Kansas. The remains will be sent Saturday night by the Bingham-Dahlquist funeral home to Mr. Vale's former home, Attica, Kansas, for funeral services and burial. Aside from Mrs. Ward, surviving relatives include one son, F. E. Vale, and one daughter, Mrs. C. M. Smith both of Manchester, Oklahoma.
(From The Bellingham Herald, December 18, 1936) Submitted by site coordinator.

VALDASON, Arni (d. 1913)

A. Valdason passed away at his home south of the city last Friday, after an illness covering more than a year, from cancer of the stomach. He was 50 years of age. The funeral services were held from the Forester's hall here Sunday, conducted by Rev. H. J. Leo, and interment made in the California Creek cemetery. A wife and four children are left, Mrs. Frances Holtzheimer, Laura, aged 16, Adolf, aged 9, and Albert aged 7 years.
(From The Blaine Journal, September 12, 1913) Submitted by site coordinator.

VAN ANDEL, Gooze (d. 1909)

Gooze VanAndel died suddenly, of heart disease, Thanksgiving day, at his home with Mike Vander Griend, jr. The funeral was Saturday at 2 o'clock from the Christian Reformed church, Rev. Hoekenga officiating. Mr. VanAndel was 55 years old and had suffered some from heart trouble. Thanksgiving day he walked over to the elder M. Vander Griend's home in the forenoon and when he started home was apparently all right. Arrived home at about 11 o'clock. As he opened the door he said as if in pain: "Oh Gusta, Oh Gusta," addressing Mrs. Vander Griend. Both Mrs. and Mr. Vander Griend saw he was sick, evidently suffering great pain as he dropped into a chair and Mr. Vander Griend hurried to help him only to keep him from sliding to the floor. He was dead. About two years ago Van Andel who used to be a great swimmer was over to the bay. When in water about to his knees he was suddenly attacked with a severe pain in his heart. He had suffered some from it on more recent occasions. The deceased was without family and had made his home in America with the Vander Griends. He came to this country 24 years ago, lived first in Dakota, then in Nebraska and for a time before coming to Washington, in Iowa.
(From The Lynden Tribune, December 2, 1909) Submitted by site coordinator.

VAN BUREN, Lucinda (d. 1914)

Lucinda Van Buren, aged 69 years, passed away at a local hospital Saturday evening, May 2, at 6 o'clock, after a brief illness. Mrs. Van Buren has been a resident of Whatcom county for more than twenty-eight years, coming here from Cuba, Mo. She was the wife of W. D. Van Buren, one of the early pioneers of Whatcom county, formerly residing on a farm at Van Buren, which place was given its name by the widowed husband. Mrs. Van Buren is survived by four children of a former union, John L. Munch, Jacob Munch and Mrs. Mary K. Hamilton, residents of Cuba, Mo., and Miss Cora D. Munch, who resides at the family home in this city, at 1906 Iowa street. The body of Mrs. Van Buren is being cared for by Mock & Harlow, 1051-5 Elk street, and it will be taken to Clearbrook, this county, Tuesday afternoon, for burial, funeral services to be conducted at that place by Rev. B. K. McElmon, of this city. Mr. Van Buren and daughter will accompany the body.
(From The Bellingham Herald, May 4, 1914) Submitted by site coordinator.

VAN DE KAMP, John (d. 1931)

Lynden said farewell to another of its honored and respected citizens yesterday when funeral services were held at the First Reformed Church for John Van de Kamp, 82, who passed away Saturday from a heart attack while in Henry's Barber Shop. Mr. Van de Kamp had seated himself in the barber chair for a shave when suddenly he slumped forward. A local physician was summoned immediately and although he reached Van de Kamp's side in less than a minute's time, he was already dead. The Rev. Gerrit De Motts officiated at the funeral services yesterday. A private service at the home at 1:30 p. m. was followed by a large public funeral at the First Reformed Church.

John Van de Kamp was born in the Netherlands on June 20, 1848. When a boy of six years, he lost his father and two years later his mother brought the family to the United States, settling in Pella, Iowa. In 1875, Mr. Van de Kamp moved to Sioux County, Iowa, and acquired a homestead in that district. He was married to Miss Coby Vande Meide in 1875. She passed away in 1894. In 1896 he was married to Miss Kate Dykstra. Ten children were born to the couple, eight of whom survive the father. Mr. Van de Kamp had been a resident of Lynden for the last twenty-five years. He was an active worker in the First Reformed Church for eighteen years preceding his death, ten of which he served on the board of elders. At the time of his death he was eighty-two years, six months and fourteen days old. Mr. Van de Kamp was a familiar figure on the streets of Lynden and he was respected by all who knew him. Surviving relatives include the widow, three sons, Gerrit, Wynard, and John Jr., all of the Lynden district; and five daughters, Mrs. Gerrit Roosendaal, Mrs. John Ketel of South Dakota, Anna, Kathryn and Gertrude Van de Kamp, all of Lynden.
(From The Lynden Tribune, January 8, 1931) Submitted by site coordinator.

VANDEMARK, Sarah A. (d. 1914)

Mrs. Sarah A. Vandemark was born Sept. 29, 1832, at Toledo, O., and died Oct. 30, 1914. She was married to A. G. Vandemark in 1851, and moved to Saginaw, Mich., where they lived until twelve years ago, when they moved to Ferndale. Mr. Vandemark died eleven years ago, aged 81 years. Mrs. Vandemark came to this neighborhood three years ago to make her home with her daughter, Mrs. Lyons. She was converted and united with the Methodist church sixty-two years ago. One year ago last August she received an invitation to a golden anniversary of the Epworth church at Saginaw, of which she was a charter member. She leaves to mourn tow daughters, Mrs. Monroe, of Saginaw, and Mrs. Lyons and two sons, Frank Vandemark, of Ferndale, and Jesse, of Custer, and some grandchildren.
(From The Bellingham Herald, Wiser Lake section, November 14, 1914) Submitted by site coordinator.

VANDER BRINK William (d. 1926)

William Vander Brink passed away Tuesday at the home of his daughter, Mrs. Arie Radder at Greenwood following at illness of 5 weeks. He was born in Holland Feb. 5, 1853, and died at the age of 73 years, 7 months and 23 days. He resided in the Lynden district since 1908, coming here from Michigan. For the past five and one half years he had made his home with his daughter. Surviving him are two daughters, Mrs. Radder and Miss Gertie Vander Brink; four sons, Marinus and John of Spokane and George and Gerrit of Lynden. Funeral services will be held on Friday at 1:30 o'clock at the Arie Radder home and at 2:00 at the First Christian Refomed Church at Lynden, with Rev. P. Jonker officiating.
(From The Lynden Tribune, September 30, 1926) Submitted by site coordinator.

VANDERFORD, Hattie F. (d. 1934)

Mrs. Hattie Freeman Vanderford, aged 61 years, beloved wife of J. F. Vanderford, 2120 Ellis street, passed away at the family home Sunday morning, May 20, after a lengthy illness. Mrs. Vanderford had made her home in Bellingham for the past thirty-seven years and was a member of the Royal Neighbors of America, Bellingham, and leaves to survive, her husband and two sons, Claude Vanderford, Seattle, and Walter F. Vanderford, city; one daughter, Mrs. Clara Uncapher, city; two brothers, A. H. Woody and Earl Woody, city and four grandchildren. The body is resting at the Homer Mark Mortuary and funeral services will be held in the Cathedral Chapel Wednesday morning, May 23, at 10 o'clock, with the Rev. Thomas Jeffrey, pastor of the Garden Street M. E. church, officiating, with interment in Lynden cemetery.
(From The Bellingham Herald, May 21, 1934) Submitted by site coordinator.

VANDER GRIEND, Marius (d. 1913)

Marius Van der Griend, who died last Saturday morning at the age of seventy-one years, was buried Tuesday afternoon in the Monumenta cemetery. The funeral services were held at the Christian Reformed church, Rev. P. J. Hoekenga, pastor of that church, and Rev. J. G. Brouwer, of the First Reformed church, officiating. The funeral was one of the largest ever held in the county, and was a testimonial of the high esteem in which the deceased was held. Six sons of Mr. Van der Griend acted as pall-bearers.

The deceased was born April 24, 1842, at Barendrect, Netherlands, the youngest child of a family of seven, five of whom, three brothers and two sisters, are still living. He was married on January 23, 1868, to Miss A. S. Vaandrager, and to them were born eleven children, eight sons and three daughters, all of whom, with the mother, survive. All are residents of Washington with the exception of one son and one daughter. In 1885 Mr. Van der Griend left his native land, and came to this country, locating at Armour, South Dakota, where he lived for three years, when he moved to Nebraska, and in 1901, he came to Washington, locating in Whatcom County, and has been a resident of the county and prominently identified with its interests, ever since.

Four of Mr. Van der Griend's sons are still single, the other sons and the three daughters being married. There are twenty-five grandchildren, and Mr. Van der Griend's was the first death in this large and happy family circle. In active life, the deceased was engaged in farming. With his death the community loses a man of remarkable character. He was a kind and considerate friend, a tender husband, and a worthy and exemplary father. Of genial disposition and a warm heart for all that was good and noble, he also possessed a keen mind and surpassed in intellectual grasp and mental ability many who had had great opportunities for learning. He was a loyal citizen of America and had a heart for his country, although a Hollander by birth and bringing up. Mr. Van der Griend was preeminently a Christian, and all the virtues that adorned his character were the fruit of that life that was born from above. His fidelity to God and His Word made him the faithful father in his home, the trusted counsellor, the worthy citizen, and the exemplary Christian that he was. He was one of those men who lived simply, and built upon the stable and abiding realities of life, such as our hurried generation might do well to pattern after. The sincere sympathy of the entire community is extended to the bereaved family.
(From The Lynden Tribune, May 15, 1913) Submitted by site coordinator.

VANDER MEI, Frederick D. (d. 1925)

Rev. Frederick D. Vander Mei, aged 35 years, beloved husband of Mrs. Lilly A. Vander Mei, passed away at the home of friends at 1814 Mill avenue Sunday afternoon, May 31, after an illness of several months. Rev. Vander Mei had been a Bellingham resident for a number of years and was pastor of the Immanuel Baptist church until November of last year, when ill health caused him to resign. He had been at his home at Custer until last Thursday, when he was brought to Bellingham. Surviving relatives are the widow; one son, Fred Martin; his parents, Mr. and Mrs. R. G. Vander Mei; one sister, Mrs. Henry Jansen at Custer, and one sister, Mrs. C. R. Draaisma, in Holland. The body rests at the Harlow mortuary home, Holly and Forest streets, and funeral announcements will be announced later.
(From The Bellingham Herald, June 1, 1925) Image

VANDER WALL, Haring (d. 1925)

LYNDEN, Feb. 5. - Funeral services were held Tuesday for Haring Vander Wall, who passed away Sunday afternoon at the home of his nephew, U. J. Otter, of Northwood, at the age of 71 years, 3 months and 26 days. Mr. Vander Wall was born in The Netherlands October 5, 1853, and came to America in 1885, residing in Oregon for twenty years. In 1905 he returned to Holland, remaining there two years. In 1907 he came to Lynden, where he had since made his home. Being in poor health last may, he gave up his home in Lynden and had spent the time since then with the family of his nephew, U. J. Otter, where he was cared for during the months of his illness. During the past few weeks, while confined to his bed, he suffered but little, but gradually grew weaker until the end. He is survived by a half brother, Andy De Long, of Oregon; four sisters in Holland; four nephews, U. J., Henry, Harry and Frank Otter, of Lynden. Mr. Vander Wall never married but his home and heart were always open to his relatives. He was ever a pal to his great-nephew, John Otter, jr., who lived with him the last year that he spent in his own home. Mr. Vander Wall was a member of the First Reformed church of Lynden. The funeral services were held here, in charge of Rev. G. De Motts. Interment was at Monumenta cemetery.
(From The Bellingham Herald, February 5, 1925) Submitted by site coordinator.

VANDER YACHT, Albert (d. 1919)

Following a long illness, Albert Vanderyacht passed away Sunday in Lynden. Funeral services were held Tuesday afternoon at the Reformed Church on Grover Street, which was crowded with friends. The Rev. H. K. Pasma conducted the services. Mr. Vanderyacht was 75 years, 7 months and 14 days old. Mr. Vanderyacht was an honored citizen of the community and his loss is mourned by a wide circle of his friends. He was born in Netherlands and came to the United States 36 years ago. He resided at Ellsworth, Mich., until twelve years ago, when he moved to Lynden. He is survived by the following sons and daughters: Mrs. E. Glass, Mrs. Ida Blow, Mrs. William Crummins of Vancouver, B. C., Mrs. Charles Dean, Mrs. Frank De Line, Mrs. Jake Le Compte, Henry and Jack Vander Yacht, and Bert, Cyrus and Kate Yeltema; and 38 grandchildren and 8 great grandchildren.
(From The Lynden Tribune, April 17, 1919) Submitted by site coordinator.

VANDER YACHT, Hage (d. 1914)

The funeral of Mrs. Harry Vander Yacht, who died last Thursday, was held Monday afternoon from the Christian Reformed church, where the services were conducted by Rev. E. Breen, and Rev. G. J. Brouwer. Mrs. Vander Yacht was a native of Holland and came to the United States in 1883. Since 1907 she has resided with her family in Lynden, and has made a large circle of friends here, who sincerely mourn her loss. Besides the six sons, who bore the remains to their resting place, the deceased leaves to mourn her, her husband, Harry Vander Yacht and two daughters, Mrs. Walter Telgenhoof, and Mrs. Carl Boice, both of Lynden.
(From The American Reveille, November 8, 1914) Submitted by site coordinator.

VANDER YACHT, Harry (d. 1919)

Funeral services were held Monday afternoon at Knapp's Funeral Parlors for the late Harry Vander Yacht, who passed away Sunday morning at the home of his daughter, Mrs. Walter Telgenhoff. Rev. H. K. Pasma conducted the services in the presence of a large crowd of relatives and friends. Mr. Vander Yacht's six sons acted as pall bearers. Mr. Vander Yacht was born Mar. 18, 1848 in Holland. He was married to Miss Gertrude Velzing in 1872. Mrs. Vander Yacht passed away Oct. 13, 1913, and one daughter, Sarah, passed away Oct. 13, 1903. Mr. Vander Yacht came to Michigan in the spring of 1883, and settled on a farm. He moved with his family to Washington in 1907 and resided in Lynden until his death. Although he suffered severely for the last year with cancer, Mr. Vander Yacht was always cheerful, and his splendid character won him a host of friends everywhere. Burial was in Monumenta cemetery.
(From The Lynden Tribune, September 18, 1919) Submitted by site coordinator.

VAN ETTEN, Harlin M. (d. 1915)

Mr. Harlin M. Van Etten, aged 73 years, passed away at the family residence 2123 Ellis street, Thursday January 14, after a brief illness. Mr. Van Etten had resided in Bellingham for the past twelve years. He was a member of J. B. Steadman Post No. 24, Grand Army of the Republic, and of the First Methodist church of Bellingham. Mr. Van Etten is survived by Mrs. Van Etten, two son, William V. of Seattle and Howard P. Van Etten of Bellingham; one daughter, Mrs. B. F. Plough of Bellingham, there is also one sister, Mrs. Howland of Minneapolis, Minn., and one brother, Mr. Simon Van Etten, residing on Cottonwood Island. The remains are being cared for at the home by Undertaker Harry O. Bingham, 1315 Dock street. Funeral announcement will be made later.
(From The Bellingham Herald, January 15, 1915) Submitted by site coordinator.

VAN ETTEN, Simon (d. 1937)

Simon Peter Van Etten died Wednesday at his home on the Maple Valley road, South Bellingham, aged 81 years. He was a member of the Garden Street M. E. church. The body lies at the Harlow-Hollingsworth funeral home. Relatives surviving are the widow, Mrs. Alice V. Van Etten; four sons, J. Allen and Ben H., Bellingham; Simon L., Skykomish, and Floyd, Port Angeles; four daughters, Mrs. Fred Denison, Everson; Mrs. Frank Sodtead and Mrs. L. J. Stover, Seattle, and Mrs. Paul Roberts, Port Angeles; twenty-six grandchildren, three great grandchildren and one sister, Mrs. Eleanor Howland, Minneapolis.
(From The Bellingham Herald, December 22, 1937) Submitted by site coordinator.

VAN ETTEN, William W. (d. 1933)

William W. Van Etten, Father of Five Children, Is Instantly Killed By Boulder
William W. Van Etten, aged 43, father of five children, all residing at Twenty-ninth street and Bennett avenue, was instantly killed shortly before 10 o'clock Thursday morning in a cavein at the Superior Coal Company's mine of the "Y" road. According to details from residents near the mine and the report of Coroner C. S. Hood, Van Etten, together with James L. Jones, a fellow workman, were attempting to place a loaded truck of coal back on the track when a part of the roof of the mine gave way.

A large lump of coal, probably 200 or 300 pounds in weight, directly above Van Etten, crached loose and feel down on his head. Dr. Hood believed that death was caused by a broken neck. He was instantly killed, Dr. Hood said. A thorough examination of the man's injuries will be made late Thursday by the coroner. Beside the broken neck, the man was badly crushed about the legs. His partner, who was standing about two feet away, was not injured. Van Etten was partly buried by the rock and dirt, but it was only a few minutes after the accident before Jones and other workmen freed the body. Although first-aid methods were attempted the effort was in vain. Van Etten was a co-partner in the mine and was working under the direction of Ben Davis, mine superintendent. He went to work in the mine May 15, 1932. The Superior Coal Company formerly was the Glen Echo Coal Company.

Besides his widow, Bessie F. Van Etten, he is survived by one son, William Jr., and four daughters, Lillian, Wilma, Mina and Wiona, all living at home. His parents, Mr. and Mrs. Simond P. Van Etten, and brothers, K. A., B. H. and S. L. Van Etten, also reside in Bellingham. F. Q. Van Etten, also a brother, lives at Port Angeles. Four sisters survive, Mrs. Fred Benson, Strandell; Mrs.L. J. Stoves, Seattle; Mrs. Paul Roberts, Port Angeles, and Mrs. Frank Gessner, Montana. The body was brought to the Bellingham in the Harlow-Hollingsworth ambulance and rests at the funeral home, where announcements will be made later.
(From The Bellingham Herald, June 1, 1933) Submitted by site coordinator.

VAN HEIRDEN, John (d. 1909)

John VanHierden died Tuesday night at his home here in Lynden, aged 30 years. The remains will be shipped to Alta, Wisconsin, where the family of the deceased lives. Mr. Van Hierden and family had been here two or three years. They came west on account of his health, consumption, at that time, having gotten a hold on him. He has never been well since he came here but at times was able to work at his trade carpentering. A few weeks ago it was determined to take him back to his home. For one reason or another the start was put off. Tuesday he went down to Bellingham to consult with a physician. He returned home that night and in a few hours passed away. He leaves a wife and one child, a little girl. It is unlikely that the services will be held here.
(From The Lynden Tribune, July 29, 1909) Submitted by site coordinator.

VAN HORN, William (d. 1927)

William Van Horn, 89, Civil war veteran and father of State Representative G. E. Van Horn, of Marietta, who lived in Whatcom county thirty-seven years, died Saturday evening at Retsil, Wash., after a few days' illness. He was a member of J. B. Steedman post No. 24, G. A. R. In the Civil war he enlisted for a period in Company D, 11th Regiment of Pennsylvania Volunteers, and re-enlisted in Company G, 8th Regiment Pennsylvania cavalry, for the duration of the war. He saw service in the Battle of the Wilderness and was with General Sherman on his march to the sea. Mr. Van Horn is survived by two sons, G. E. Van Horn, Marietta, and E. W. Van Horn, an official of the National Park service, stationed in Rainier National park; fifteen grandchildren and seven great grandchildren.

Funeral services will be held Tuesday at 2 p. m. at the Homer Mark mortuary, with Ralph E. Kooken, of the First Church of Christ, Scientist, officiating, followed by the ritualistic services of J. B. Steedman post. Interment will occur in Bay View cemetery. The pallbearers will be A. E. Caswell, C. H. Hurlbut, L. E. Miller, James Glen, A. P. Warness and F. T. Kennedy.
(From The Bellingham Herald, November 14, 1927) Submitted by site coordinator.

VAN KIRK, Elizabeth (d. 1904)

Mrs. Van Kirk, nee Miss Elizabeth Brane, came of an old and prominent Mississippi family and was born in West Point in that state January 2, 1878. Her early education was supplemented by a full course in the Minneapolis High school, of which she was a graduate. There her natural aptitude for painting and drawing received its elementary education and she spent several years in Minneapolis after graduation in the technical study of the ceramic art, concluding with a two years' course under one of the renowned masters of art, Franz Bischof, by whom she was regarded as an artist of unusual gift and promise. Dr. and Mrs. Van Kirk were united in marriage in Chicago on July 27, 1899. After a two years' residence in New York, they came to this city, August 1, 1901, and have resided here ever since, admired and beloved by a widening circle of friends. No children remain to mourn the mother or to comfort the father.

Mrs. Van Kirk was an artist in every degree of temperament and feeling. In all possible ways the artistic in her nature was clearly if delicately expressed. She represented high ideals and possibilities of eminence such as few artists exemplify. She was gracious, and at the same time refined in the manners of southern ladies of educational advancement. She will be deeply mourned by many, friends in Bellingham, as well as in her parental home state. The funeral services will be held here. The remains have been embalmed and shipped to the old home in Mississippi today, Dr. Van Kirk accompanying them. He will return here about August 15 and will reside here permanently.
(From The Bellingham Reveille, August 14, 1904) Submitted by site coordinator.

VAN KIRK, Frank J. (d. 1932)

Dr. Frank J. Van Kirk, oculist and aurist, for more than thirty years one of Bellingham's most esteemed citizens and widely known in the Northwest in his profession, died at 3 a. m. today at his home, 822 Garden street, where he had been ill about one week, suffering from a heart ailment. The body of Dr. Van Kirk will lie in state at the Harlow-Hollingsworth chapel between 10 a. m. and 12 noon, Thursday, where friends may view the remains. Funeral services will be conducted at St. Paul's Episcopal church at 4 p. m. Thursday, after which the remains will be taken to his old home in Minnesota, where lie the bodies of his parents. The Rev. T. DeWitt Tanner, the rector, will officiate. Pallbearers will be Drs. William C. Keyes, W. D. Kirkpatrick, E. W. Stimpson, F. A. Wheaton, L. P. McCalla, J. Reid Morrison and W. W. Ballaine. Dr. Van Kirk is survived by his widow, Mrs. Helena Van Kirk, and one brother, A. N. Van Kirk, Minnesota.

Ranking high in his profession, Dr. Van Kirk was noted, also, for his researches in the scientific field. He was an authority on the tides and occasionally lectured on that subject before local bodies; also on astronomy, polar explorations and the Einstein theory. He always presented his lectures in an interesting and understandable way.

Dr. Van Kirk was born June 14, 1867, at Hastings, Minnesota. He spent his childhood near Ripon, Minnesota, living on a homestead and growing wheat. From the profits of his efforts on the farm he was enabled to pay his way through the University of North Dakota, being one of the first graduates of that institution. On completion of his university course he entered the railway mail service on the Great Northern, serving several years as railway postoffice clerk, during which time he studied diligently and later entered Hamlin university, graduating in medicine. After graduating from the latter institution, he acted as surgeon for the Great Northern railway, attached to the Cascade division during the building of the Cascade tunnel. He later specialized in diseases of the eye, ear, nose and throat, studying under New York specialists and coming to Bellingham in 1900. Dr. Van Kirk was a wide traveler, a deep student and active in business, civic and social affairs. He was a member of the American College of Surgeons; Pacific Ophthalmological society, American Medical association, Washington State Medical association, and Whatcom County Medical association. Also he was a member of the Masonic fraternity, of the Hobby club, Rotary club, and of St. Paul's Episcopal church. He was a director of several commercial institutions. For many years he was a trustee of St. Luke's hospital.
(From The Bellingham Herald, May 4, 1932) Submitted by site coordinator.

VAN LIEW, Flora E. (d. 1920)

Mrs. Flora E. Van Liew, aged 62 years, passed away at an early hour Monday morning, Dec. 20, after an illness of several months' duration. Mrs. Van Liew had been a resident of this city for the past sixteen years, during which time she had made a host of friends. She leaves to survive her husband, Mr. J. C. Van Liew; three sons, Mr. Charles L. Van Liew, of this city; Mr. Vern Van Liew, of Cedar Rapids, Mich., and Mr. Harold Van Liew, of Seattle, Wash; one daughter, Miss Florence Van Liew, this city; one sister, Mrs. J. Russell, of Los Angeles, Cal., and four grandchildren. Mrs. Van Liew has been an active member of the Methodist church since childhood and at the time of her death was a member of the Garden St. Methodist church of this city, where she was a faithful worker in the Ladies' Aid society, W. C. T. U., Foreign Mission society and sunday school department until her illness confined her to her home. She was a delegate to the national convention of the W. C. T. U which convened at Seattle several years ago. She was also a member of the Order of the Eastern Star, holding her membership in Cedar Rapids, Mich. Funeral services will be held Wednesday afternoon, Dec. 22, at 1:20 o'clock from the Garden St. Methodist church with the Rev. J. C. Harrison officiating. Interment will be made in the family plot at Bay View cemetery, under the direction of Arthur C. Harlow.
(From The Bellingham Herald, December 20, 1920) Submitted by site coordinator.

VAN LUVEN, Hannah (d. 1888)

VAN LUVEN, Schuyler (d. 1903)

Schuyler VanLuven Died at His Home in This City Last Friday Morning, June 12, 1903, After Living Here Sixteen Years.

Last Friday morning Schuyler VanLuven one of the honored pioneers of the county passed away. He was sixty years of age. His wife, Hana Margaret VanLuven who died in our city October 22, 1888, was a sister of Mrs. Bennett and Judge West. Mr. VanLuven and Miss West were married in St. Vincent, New York. Mr. VanLuven leaves the following children, all residents of Blaine, to mourn his loss; Mrs. Annie King, Albert VanLuven and Henry VanLuven. The funeral was held at the M. E. church last Saturday under the auspices of the Good Templars lodge of which organization Mr. VanLuven was a member. Rev. McGill preached the funeral sermon assisted by Revs. Griggs and Coleman. The interment was at the Blaine cemetery.
(From The Blaine Journal, June 19, 1903) Submitted by site coordinator.

VANNESS, Daniel (d. 1932)

Daniel Vanness, aged 83 years, beloved husband of Mrs. Dora Vanness, 1005 Twenty-third street, passed away at a local hospital Friday morning, February 26, after an illness of one week. Surviving relatives, besides his widow, are six sons, Charley, Isaac, Elmer, George, Milo and Harry Vanness, all residing in Nebraska; one daughter, Mrs. Cora McDonald, and one sister, Mrs. Della Blazer, both residing in Nebraska. Mr. Vanness was a member of John B. Steedman post No. 24, Grand Army of the Republic, and a member of the First Baptist church, and had resided in this city for sixteen years. The body rests at the Homer Mark Mortuary, at Cornwall avenue and Halleck street, where funeral services will be held Monday afternoon, February 29, at 1 o'clock, with the Rev. W. E. Loucks, pastor of the First Baptist church officiating. Cremation will follow at the Homer mark Crematorium.
(From The Bellingham Herald, February 27, 1932) Submitted by site coordinator.

VAN OVER, Ethel (d. 1919)

NOOKSACK, March 12. - Mrs. Ethel Van Over, wife of William Van Over, who passed away at the family home south of Nooksack on Saturday morning of Spanish influenza, was laid to rest in Hopewell cemetery on Monday afternoon from the Nooksack M. E. church, of which she was a member. The pastor, Rev. J. M. Hixson, and a former pastor, Rev. L. C. Schultz, both assisting with the funeral service. She is survived by her husband and three sons, two uncles and several cousins, who reside near Nooksack and her father and brothers and sisters in Kansas.
(From The American Reveille, March 13, 1919) Submitted by site coordinator.

VAN PATTEN, Harry G. (d. 1916)

Harry G. Van Patten passed away in Bellingham Saturday afternoon, following an illness of several weeks. Funeral services were held in the Baptist church Monday afternoon and were conducted by the Rev. Percy Davies, and Martin Olsen, pastor of the Wiser Lake M. E. Church. Mr. Van Patten was born in Adams County, Wisconsin, in 1868. He moved to the Wiser Lake district one year ago, from Lynden where he had lived thirteen years. He leaves besides a father and three brothers, a wife and seven children to mourn the loss of a loving husband and father, and a host of friends who knew him as a kindly Christian man of high ideals. The pall bearers were Messrs. J. W. Richardson and C. L. Banks of Wiser Lake, B. C. Crabtree, Mr. Swenson, E. W. Bayes and E. Bayes of Lynden. The floral offerings were beautiful, and silently expressed the sympathy all felt for the family. Interment was made in the Lynden cemetery under the direction of Frank E. Knapp.
(From The Lynden Tribune, October 21, 1916) Submitted by site coordinator.

VAN VALKENBURG, Lyman G. (d. 1922)

SUMAS, July 17. - The remains of Lyman George Valkenburg, who died suddenly of heart failure at Glacier Saturday, will be laid to rest tomorrow. Services will be conducted from the Federated church at Sumas at 2 o'clock, with Rev. O. Congdon officiating. Interment will be made in the I. O. O. F. cemetery, with the ritualistic service of the Odd Fellows' lodge at the graveside. The acting pallbearers will be F. S. Garrison, R. S. Lambert, Mayor J. W. Myers, A. E. Lapp, J. A. Lochbaum and Rees Thomas. The services will be under the direction of John C. Gillies, local funeral director. Mr. Van Valkenburg is survived by his widow, one son, Frank, of Mount Vernon, and one brother, who lives in California. Mrs. Van Valkenburg is now undergoing medical treatment at Kansas City and will be unable to attend the funeral. Mr. Van Valkenburg is a pioneer gold miner of the county and has been in the service of the United States forestry department.
(From The Bellingham Herald, July 17, 1922) Submitted by site coordinator.

VAN WINGERDEN, Ida (d. 1913)

The funeral of Mrs. Gerrit Van Wingerden, of Haynie, was held from the Custer M. E. church last Friday afternoon, Rev. B. W. Rinehart officiating, and interment made in the Enterprise cemetery. Mrs. Ida Van Wingerden was born at Belville, Ontario, Canada, December 19, 1859. She moved in early life with her parents to Big Rapids, Mich., where she resided until her marriage to Charles Wilder in 1878. To this union were born four children, Willard, Ernest, Dora and Mamie. They moved west in 1888 and settled at Pleasant Valley, Wash., and resided at Haynie until her death. She departed this life June 25, 1913, aged 53 years, six months and six days. She leaves to mourn her departure a husband, four children, two sisters, one brother and many friends and relatives. She was a devoted wife and mother with no thought of self, but always thinking of those around her. Even in her last hours, when children, sister and friends gathered around her dying bed, she said "I am all right, just prepare to meet me." She left as her dying testimony, "The Lord is with me."
(From The Blaine Journal, July 4, 1913) Submitted by site coordinator.

VAN WINGERDEN, Jesse L. (d. 1919)

Jesse LeRoy Van Wingerden, second son of George and Dora Van Wingerden, passed away at the family home at Haynie Saturday, May 10th, 1919. He was eight years, one month and fifteen days of age and had lived all of his short life here. ... The father and mother, brothers and sisters have all the sympathy that their many friends can bestow and while their hearts will ache ... Jesse was laid to rest in Haynie cemetery beneath a great mantle of the flowers he loved so well...
(From The Blaine Journal, May 16, 1919) Submitted by site coordinator

VAN ZANDT, Edith (d. 1932)

Funeral services were held at 10:30 Thursday morning, with Rev. James M. Wilson, of St. James Presbyterian church officiating. Cremation followed. Mrs. Edith Van Zandt, wife of Milner Van Zandt, who founded the town of Van Zandt forty years ago, died at a local hospital in Bellingham Tuesday, a few hours after being stricken while visiting Mrs. Helen M. Zenor, 2005 Eldridge avenue, Bellingham.

Mrs. Van Zandt, who was 69, years ago was a school teacher. She had lived in the county many years. Relatives surviving are the husband, who resides in Alberta; two sons, Phil of Van Zandt, and Leland, Bellingham; one daughter, Mrs. Ruth Largent, Eastern Washington, and four sisters, Mrs. S. M. Holmes and Miss Feronia Y. Johnson, Bellingham; Mrs. Nellie Jones, Everson, and Mrs. Florence Wollett, Philadelphia. Complaining that she had a great pain in her head, Mrs. Van Zandt slumped to the floor. Mrs. Zenor called next door and summoned a physician who chanced to be in the neighborhood.
(From The Deming Prospector, December 9, 1932) Submitted by site coordinator.

VAUGHAN, James (d. 1904)

James Vaughan, aged 58 years, died at St. Joseph's hospital at 4:30 o'clock yesterday morning of tuberculosis. Deceased came to this city last January from Sault Ste. Marie, Mich., and is the father of John J. Vaughan, proprietor of the Whatcom Dye Works, at No. 1249 Elk street. He was a member of the odred Nights of the Maccabees. Besides his wife and son John J. Vaughan, who are with him here, he leaves five sons and four daughters residing in the east. The funeral services will occur this afternoon at 2 o'clock from the funeral parlors of W. H. Mock & Sons, Rev. Geo. R. Varney, of the First Baptist church officiating. Interment will be made in Bay View cemetery.
(From The Daily Reveille, June 29, 1904) Submitted by site coordinator.

VAUGHN, Charles W. (d. 1915)

Charles W. Vaughn, one of the best known and best liked Civil War veterans in the Northwest, will be buried tomorrow afternoon at 2 o’clock from the Harlow & Livingston chapel, the Rev. E. M. Hill officiating. Mr. Vaughan (sic) was affiliated with several fraternal orders and at the time of his death, December 21, lived at the Old Soldiers’ home at Port Orchard. His body was brought to Bellingham yesterday by Henry White, United States Immigration commissioner at Seattle. Mr. Vaughan was 80 years of age and had lived in Bellingham seventeen years. At the cemetery the ceremonies will be in charge of Bellingham lodge No. 44, A. F. & A. M., of which he was a member. In addition to his membership in this lodge, Mr. Vaughan was a member of the following organizations: J. B. Steedman post No. 24, G. A. R., Women’s Relief Corps, J. B. Steedman No. 31; Rising Star lodge No. 202, I. O. O. F. Bay City Encampment No. 23, I. O. O. F., Knights of Pythias lodge No. 11, and the Firs Methodist Episcopal church.
(From The American Reveille, December 25, 1915) Submitted by Merrily Lawson.

VERATT, James (d. 1905)

At one o'clock Monday afternoon, James Veratt, of this city, passed away at his home on Boblett street. The deceased had been suffering for a long time with lung trouble, and had made a brave but hopeless fight against the inevitable. In the death of Mr. Veratt Blaine loses one of her pioneer citizens, who has always been an upholder of law and justice, an industrious worker, and an unfailing friend to the needy, whenever and however they appealed to him. Mr. Veratt was 48 years of age at the time of his death. He was born in Ontario, and immigrated first to Wisconsin, and in 1886 to Washington. He located at Semiahmoo where he lived for seven years. In 1888 he married Miss Cynthia Bennett, the wife who has shared his sorrows and joys since that time and now survives him. Besides his wife he leaves three minor children. The funeral occurred at the Methodist Episcopal Church Wednesday at two o'clock. Rev. G. A. Sheafe officiated. The remains were laid to rest in the Blaine cemetery, the park which Mr. Veratt has done more to improve during his life than perhaps any other man.
Name occasionally spelled Varett in newspapers.
(From The Blaine Journal, October 6, 1905) Submitted by site coordinator.

VERNON, Manfred (d. 2001)

Manfred Vernon, retired Western Washington University professor, former chairman of its political science department and former chairman of the Whatcom County Democratic Party, died Thursday, April 5, 2001. He was 93. Services will be at 11:30 a.m. Tuesday at Jones-Moles Funeral Home, with Rabbi Yossi Leibowitz officiating. Burial will follow at Bayview Cemetery. Born May 23, 1907, in Dusseldorf, Germany, Mr. Vernon saw the impact of World War I on Germany, lost his mother in the Spanish flu pandemic of 1918, and became a German lawyer. When the Nazis came to power in 1933, he left Germany for the Netherlands. He emigrated to the United States in 1939, enlisting in the U.S. Army before Pearl Harbor and serving with Gen. Douglas MacArthur in the Philippines. In 1946, he married Hally Weis, a child psychologist and day-care pioneer. She died in February 2000.

After earning his doctorate at Stanford University, Mr. Vernon taught at the University of Michigan and the University of Alabama, and served in the State Department under President Truman before coming to Western. As a Fulbright scholar, he taught for a year in Turkey at the University of Ankara. For several years, Mr. Vernon hosted "Outlook," an interview and discussion TV show on KVOS. He also was one of three U.S. representatives on the International Joint Commission on Point Roberts. After retiring to San Juan Island, Mr. Vernon served on the board of the San Juan Island Whale Museum, organized conferences, taught for Elder Hostel and traveled the world with his wife. When he and his wife returned to Bellingham, he started a discussion group at Parkway Chateau Retirement Residence, and remained active in community and university life and at his synagogue, Beth Israel. He also spoke at schools about the Nazi era.

Survivors include daughters Bonnie Quam of Abbotsford, B.C., Ahbi Vernon of Berkeley, Calif., and Wendy Vernon of Willits, Calif.; son Stephen Vernon of Palo Alto, Calif.; and 10 grandchildren. In lieu of flowers, memorials may be made to social justice, environmental or international harmony efforts, or to San Juan Island Whale Museum, the Democratic National Committee or to the Southern Poverty Law Center.
(From The Bellingham Herald, April 8, 2001) Submitted by Debbie deHoog.

VINUP, Charles F. (d. 1911)

Charles Fredrick, son of Mr. and Mrs. G. W. Vinup, was drowned last Saturday afternoon while in swimming in a slough near the Loring place, West of Lynden. The funeral services were held Monday afternoon, under the auspices of Rev. Wilder. Besides the large number of family friends who followed the body to its last home were 15 or 20 schoolmates who brought great banks of flowers.

Charley was 12 years, six months and 28 days old, and was second in a family of four boys and two girls. Saturday he was playing with two brothers and in the afternoon when it was quite warm went with them first to the Slade home and then to the slaughter house on an errand. The latter place was not far from the slough and it was proposed that the boys go swimming. They all ran for the hole and Charley as usual out-stripped his brothers and was in the water when they approached. As he came up he called to his brothers to throw him a plank, that he was cramping. The frightened brothers threw in a plank and the suffering boy grabbed hold of it, but was too far gone to hang on. His two brothers saw him slipping and heard a last cry for held as he went under. They called for help but got no response. They undressed and went in and tried to get their brother but he was in water out of their reach. Frightened terribly they hastily redressed and calling for help started home.

Mr. Knutson who was working near heard the first calls for help and started toward the hole but saw the two boys splashing in the water and concluded they were just shouting for fun. The boys ran home by way of the Slade house from where they telephone their mother and from where help was telephoned for. Mr. Knutson, meanwhile had hurried to the hole and so had Mr. Tellinghoff and they were in the water searching for the boy when Druggist Edson who finally recovered the body arrived. Mr. Edson found the body in water that was about up to his chin. There was no water in the lungs and it is presumed that the boy died from a shock to the heart. He was probably very warm when he jumped into the water and the water was cold. The coroner was notified but concluded there was no need of an inquest. Charley - or "Swinney" as the boys called him was popular with his school mates and teachers, and had many friends who join with the family in mourning his sad death. The bereaved family elsewhere tank their neighbors and friends. They do not feel that it was an avoidable accident though the shock is no less painful on that account.
(From The Lynden Tribune, June 15, 1911) Submitted by site coordinator.

VINUP, Charles Frederick (d. 1906)

Charles F. Vinup, Pioneer, Closes Eventful Life.
(Special to the Herald.) Lynden, Wash., April 7.—Charles F. Vinup died at his home in Granger, Wash., Monday, April 2, at 5 o’clock in the morning, at the age of 64 years, 4 months and 21 days. His death was caused by an attack of pneumonia, with which he was in for several days. On last Friday his children were notified of the critical condition of their father, and on the following morning George Vinup left here and reached the bedside the day before his death. George Vinup returned here Tuesday and made preparations for the funeral, J. M. Hutton, the son-in-law following with the body. The funeral was held from the Methodist church Thursday afternoon, at 2 o’clock. The body was laid at rest in the Odd Fellows’ cemetery here.

Charles Frederick Vinup was born In Brenenhausen, Prussia, October 11, 1841. At the age of nine he came to this country and settled in Indiana, where he grew to manhood. At the outbreak of the Civil war he enlisted in company E, 50th and 51st Indiana infantry volunteers, and served with the regiment for three years. In 1866 he married Margaret Grimmer, in Indiana, and later moved to Cincinnati, O., where his wife died in 1882. After that he moved to Minnesota, where he married Sara Becker, in 1886. In the fall of the following year he moved to Lynden, and remained here until August, 1904. On August 12, 1904, his second wife died. In about ten days after this he moved to Lookout, and lived with his daughter for some time there and then moved to Granger, where he and his son-in-law, J. M. Hutton, entered in the grocery business and continued until the time of his death. After coming to Lynden, Mr. Vinup settled on a farm north of town, and remained on it until his health broke, so that he was not able to take care of the place. He then moved to town and was active in politics, serving several terms as republican councilman. He was elected mayor, and the following years was re-elected, but resigned before his term expired to go to Lookout. Four children survive their father, all children of the first marriage, one son and three daughters.
(From The Bellingham Herald, April 7, 1906) Submitted by Merrily Lawson.

VINUP, Sarah (d. 1904)

Mrs. Sarah Vinup, the wife of Mayor Chas. Vinup of the city, died at her home here last Friday evening. Aug. 12. She has been a sufferer for the past three years with asthma, which caused her death. She passed away peacefully as if going to sleep. Mrs. Vinup, nee Sarah Becher, was born at Louisburg, Pa., Aug. 16, 1849, being 54 years, 11 months and 26 days old at the time of her death. She was married to Chas. Vinup Feb. 20, 1884, at Howard Lake, Minn. She had no children of her own but gave a mother's love to her husband's four children. Prior to her marriage she had taken care of a brother's and also a sister's children. She was converted in early childhood and joined the church. In 1898 she became a member of the M. E. church here and was a faithful, active worker until failing health shut her in. During the past three years of her life she suffered much but was very patient.

Mrs. Vinup came to this state in 1888, one year after her husband came. The country was rough and wild then and they endured the hardships of pioneer life. She was an energetic, hard worker until her health caused her to give up. She leaves a devoted husband, four children and two brothers to mourn her death. The children are: Mrs. J. M. Hutton of Anacortes, Miss Clara and Mr. George Vinup of this place, and another daughter in the state of Minnesota. They were all present at the funeral except the daughter in Minnesota. Rev. Rinehart conducted the funeral services at the M. E. church here Sunday afternoon and the remains were interred in the cemetery west of the city. The members of the G. A. R. and W. R. C. assisted in the services, Mrs. Vinup being a member of Lynch W. R. C. The bereaved ones are extended sincere sympathy in their affliction.
(From The Pacific Pilot, August 18, 1904) Submitted by site coordinator.

VIOLETTE, X. (d. 1904)

X. Violette, a native of France, aged 76 years, died yesterday morning at the residence of his daughter, Mrs. Louise Pelegren, 819 Donovan avenue, of heart disease. The deceased was born in the state of Maine, but has been residing in South Dakota up to about a year ago, when he came to this place for the benefit of his health. The body now lies at the funeral parlors of W. H. Mock & Son. Funeral arrangements will be announced later.
(From The Daily Reveille, January 28, 1904) Copied by Merrily Lawson.

VOGT, Amy (d. 1919)

Mrs. Amy Vogt, one of the very earliest settlers of this section and a continuous resident since 1882, passed away Saturday last at the age of 79 years. Death was due to old age. Funeral services were held Sunday afternoon at one o'clock, Rev. O. Congdon officiating, and interment made in the family lot in the California creek cemetery.

Deceased was born in Cornwall, England, May 4th, 1841. In 1856 she was married to Josiah White. To this union six children were born five boys and one girl, the latter dying in infancy. In 1882, being left a widow, she came to America to her brother, Richard Richards, who has since passed to his long rest, and who lived near the head of Drayton Harbor. Two of the sons that came over with her have passed on. leaving but Thomas H., of Fairbanks, Alaska, and Alfred J. of Blaine. In 1883 she was married to Charles Vogt and to this union three children were born - Otto, Grover and Mrs. Amy Wilcox, all of Birch Bay. Mr. Vogt also passed on to his rest. When the deceased first arrived here there was no place of worship except at California creek in a little log cabin which stood near the cemetery there. Later Rev. Carr organized a Sunday School and held services at the Vogt home. She was a devoted Christian woman throughout the most of her life, although kept from attending church these last years by reason of invalidity.
(From The Blaine Journal, July 18, 1919) Submitted by site coordinator.

VOGT, Charles (d. 1902)

Charles Vogt one of the first settlers on Birch Bay died at his home at that place yesterday morning at the age of sixty-three years. His trouble was due to heart trouble and bright's disease. Last Friday he complained of not being well and on Saturday he was taken to his bed. He grew rapidly worse until the final end came as stated above.

Chas. Vogt was born in Berlin, Germany and came to this country when he was eighteen years of age. He stopped first at the German settlement in Illinois and later came on to the Pacific coast landing in California. From there he came on up to Puget sound in company with Messrs. Henspeter, Geischer and Bruns. The party found work in the mills for a year or two and then took up their claims on Birch Bay. They made settlement there thirty-three years ago and have resided ever since on their homesteads. Mr. Vogt was married to Mrs. Amy White nineteen years ago. He leaves a family of wife, three children and three step children. The children are all nearly grown the youngest, Miss Amy, being past fifteen years of age. The funeral services were held this forenoon at the residence, after which the body was placed in the California creek cemetery. Mr. Vogt was one of the best citizens, a kind and loving husband and father and an upright and progressive man. He was universally respected and loved by all who knew him. In the opening up of this new country and the making of a home the part played by this good man is a monument to his memory that is a lasting one for all time. His part has been well done. To the bereaved widow and family the sympathy of all is given.
(From The Blaine Journal, July 18, 1902) Submitted by site coordinator.

VOLKMAN, Carl A. (d. 2005)

Carl A. Volkman of Bellingham, WA, passed away on Thursday, March 17, 2005, in Bellingham. He was 96, born December 31, 1908, in Dent, MN, to Anna (Quiram) and Ernest Volkman. Carl moved to Whatcom County as a young man. He married Gertrude Nitz in 1933. He was an active member of Trinity Lutheran Church. Carl enjoyed people and was the general neighborhood handyman. His interests included reading, gardening, and good music. He played the concertina and harmonica. Preceding him in death were his wife, son Theodore and daughter-in-law Betty Volkman, and great grandson Deric Flint. Survivors include daughter Dorothea and husband Curtis Wilson; grandchildren: Ten and wife Jan Flint, Walt and wife Kelley Flint, Craig Volkman, Larisa Flint Snydal and husband Jon, Penny Volkman Gudbranson and husband Jeff, Pam Nacarrato, Aaron Wilson, Gabriel Wilson, Hilary Knight and husband Chad; 11 great-grandchildren; and sister Golda and husband Al Benke.
Submitted by John Rauch

VROMAN, Margaret L. (d. 1929)

Martha Louise Phelps was born July 4, 1849, at Lowville, Lewis county, N. Y. She received her education in the public schools of that place and the Lowville academy. She taught school for a short time, until her marriage, January 5, 1870, to Nathan Vroman of Wilma, N. Y. To them were born three children, Mrs. Edith A. Smith of Rochester, Minn., Howard B. Vroman of Ferndale, who survive, and Miles S., who died at the age of six years.

Mr. and Mrs. Vroman spent six years in Delaware and four years in Kansas, after leaving New York state. They came to Washington in 1889, settling on a farm near Nooksack. In 1890 they homesteaded on land that is now known as Rose Hill Farm, three miles southeast of Nooksack, where Mr. Vroman died, December 28, 1915. In the fall of 1918 Mrs. Vroman sold her farm to Charles Kinley, and in the spring of 1919 went to live with her son Howard near Ferndale, where she resided until she passed away, February 8, 1929. If Mrs. Vroman had lived until July 4 she would have been 80 years of age.

Their only daughter, Edith, now Mrs. Franklin D. L. Smith of Rochester, Minn., and her husband arrived in time to be present at the funeral services, which were held Sunday, February 17, at the Munro funeral parlors of Ferndale, Rev. L. A. Sheffer of the Congregational church officiating. Mrs. Vroman was laid to rest beside her husband in Nooksack cemetery, where a large number of old friends and neighbors had gathered to pay their last tribute of love and esteem to the departed, and where another short but beautiful service was held.

Besides the two children mentioned above, six grandchildren - Ray H., Harold L., Nathan M., Betty L., Melvin V. and Alyne L., children of Mr. and Mrs. Howard B. Vroman - survive, besides one sister and two nieces of Lowville, N. Y.
(From The Nooksack Sentinel, March 7, 1929) Submitted by site coordinator.

Back to Obituary Index

Back to Whatcom GenWeb Home Page