The Evening Herald
Fairhaven, Wash.

Wednesday, January 1, 1902:

The report of a frightful accident which occurred in one of the sawmills at Nooksack yesterday, reached the city last night. Chas. STILLWELL, aged 30 years, who resides near Lynden, employed as a sawyer in the mill, was killed by the bursting of the saw, meeting death in a frightful manner. Judge Parker ELLIS, who is acting as coroner, during absence of Coroner WARINNER, was notified of the accident and he left on the noon train for Nooksack, where he goes t investigate the case.

Death of Harry PURR [PARR]
The home of Mr. and Mrs. John T. PURR [PARR], C an Seventeenth streets, is clowded (sic) with gloom today and their grief seems unbearable. At 6 o'clock this morning their 8 year old son Harry, died after an illness of four days of pneumonia. Harry was a bright boy and his presence in the home circle will be missed by his parents. He was a member of the Washington school. Funeral services will be conducted at the family residence 11 o'clock Friday.

Thursday, January 2, 1902:

NOOKSACK, Wn., -- Harry SIMPSON, brother of John SIMPSON, and Mrs. Ruth THOMPSON of Ellison, died Monday at 1 o'clock of pneumonia, after a short illness. He leaves a wife and two small children. The remains were interred at 2 o'clock Wednesday, Jan. 1, in Nooksack cemetery.

Charles A. STILLWELL of Lynden while working in the STORY & Co. mill here, as sawyer, was wounded by the breaking of a cut-off saw and died two hours later. He was hurt at 11 a.m., and died at 1 o'clock p. m. He had left the log saw to help the off-bearer's to run out a long 10 x 10 timber, and which by some unseen cause swung around as on a pivot, striking the cut-off saw, causing it to break, throwing pieces of iron in all directions. He saw his danger and tried to dodge, but was hit in the right breast and although all was done that was possible, he died before a doctor could be summoned, He was well liked by all who knew him. He leaves a wife and four children to mourn his loss. The remains will be interred in the Lynden cemetery Thursday afternoon.

The newborn babe of Mr. and Mrs. N. J. OLSEN died Monday night, and will be entered in Nooksack Cemetery, Wednesday morning at 10 o'clock.

Friday, January 3, 1902:

Mrs. Peter MARTINI, aged 45 years, died yesterday morning at her home near Laurel, after a short illness. She was a pioneer resident of that place having located there with her husband 17 years ago. Funeral services will be held at the family residence at Laurel tomorrow afternoon. Interment will be made in the *Ten Mile cemetery.
[*Cemetery records show she was buried at Mt. Calvary Cemetery.]

Monday, January 6, 1902:

Christian TUTTLE aged 74 years, died at his home at Beach on Lummi Island of senile decay. Mr. TUTTLE located on Lummi Island about 30 years ago where he resided up to the time of his death. He has been a frontiersman nearly all his life, as he left his home in Michigan when a mere boy, joining the rush to the gold fields in California. He spent several years digging gold in that state and then went to Oregon where he continued to search for that precious metal. He remained in Oregon several years when he pulled up stakes and came to the territory of Washington, which at that time, about 40 years ago was a vast wilderness. He purchased a small boat and loaded it with provisions and set out to explore Puget Sound. He visited all the islands between Seattle and Bellingham Bay, and finally selected a site for a home at Beach on Lummi Island in Whatcom county. He built a cabin and set about to clear the land and build himself a home. After toiling unrelentingly for years he succeeded in hewing out one of the finest farms on the Sound. The old pioneers endured many privations in the early days, but their hopes of a rapid development of the country were not in vain. Mr. TUTTLE leaves several children to mourn the loss of a father. Mrs. TUTTLE passed away about two years ago.


Wednesday, April 16, 1902:

Glenwood W. LANGDON aged 6 months, died yesterday of bronchitis. Funeral services will be held at the family residence at 10 o'clock a. m. tomorrow at 1311 James street.

Myrta Maud PERKINS aged 29 years, died yesterday at her home in Fairhaven, opposite the E. K. WOOD mill. Funeral services will be held at NOICE's funeral parlors tomorrow.

Ira T. Y. JOHNSON, aged 67 years died yesterday at his home on G street near Seventeenth, of heart and kidney troubles. Funeral services will be held at NOICE's funeral parlor at 2 o'clock p. m. Friday.

Copied by Susan Nahas 2006


Back to Newspaper Index

Back to Whatcom GenWeb main page