Fairhaven Herald

March 11, 1890:

Our Public Schools.
One of the many questions asked by people who are thinking of locating in Fairhaven, is what sort of schools we have. Eastern people cannot realize how quickly we attend to matters of this sort. In the rush and hurry of building this city, educational advantages have not been forgotten or neglected, and Fairhaven already has a good graded system. To keep pace with the demands for more school room, the school board of the Bellingham district recently let the contract for a house to be located at the corner of Fourteenth and Columbia streets. This school house will be two stories high with a basement, and for the present will contain four rooms, although it is intended to build a wing of two rooms more at an early date. Special attention has been given to the comfort and health of the little ones in arranging the sanitary and heating apparatus. There will be separate seats with comfortable backs, and desks and seats will be graded in size, so as to accommodate children of all ages. Competent teachers will be engaged and it is expected that the building will be ready for occupancy for the spring term.


New Buildings Now in Course of Erection in this City.

     To the visitor who has not seen Fairhaven for two months, nothing is more astonishing that the wonderful change made by the vast amount of building already completed and now in process of construction. Business blocks, warehouses and residences have gone up like magic, but even with such a rapid supply the demand has been ___ and buildings are ___ almost as soon as foundations are laid.
     ____ and contractors shows that there was not less than $325,000 worth of buildings now in process of construction and many more for which plans and specifications are not yet completed.
     On the corner of Twelfth and Harris streets in the new hotel, a $1000,000 edifice, being erected by the Fairhaven Land Company.

A fine three story frame building is fast approaching completion on Twelfth street south of Harris, being erected for Mrs. A. B. SEYMOUR of Chicago. This building will be finished in a first class manner and will cost about $6,000.

Frank REESE is building a two story frame, 25x100 feet, corner Eleventh and Mill. Cost $4,300.

The Presbyterians are building a fine edifice on the corner of Thirteenth and Columbian streets, which will cost when furnished $6,500.

Messrs. GOOCH & FOSTER's building on the corner of Twelfth and Mill streets will have three stores on ground floor and offices or rooms above. Estimated cost $3,000.

The Electric Light Company is nearing completion with its building on Cowgill street. Cost about $2,000.

A two story frame building for C. W. WALDRON is being erected at the corner of Eleventh and Mill streets and will cost $2,000.

Messrs. SINGER & NESTELLE are erecting a two story brick case building, 25x60 feet, on McKenzie avenue, between Tenth and Eleventh streets, to cost $1,500. Immediately adjoining, S. J. EGBERT has an $800 building to be used as a poultry market.

The building for the Fairhaven Herald is nearly completed on the corner of Fourteenth and Larrabee streets. Cost $2,000.

Among the residences the finest building is for Mr. J. F. WARDNER, on the corner of Fifteenth and Knox streets. This house is a combination of the Queen Anne and Eastlake styles. It will be wired for electric bells and lights and heated by the return system of steam. The windows will be of French plate glass. The interior will be finished in polished redwood, and all fittings and the plumbing will be of latest improved patterns. When finished this residence will cost about $15,000.

Mr. Alfred RIEDEL's residence on Fifteenth street, near Douglass, is built in the Eastlake style, and will be finished in a fine manner. Estimated cost, $3,000.

Frank AFFLECK is building two Queen Anne cottages on Sixteenth street, to cost about $3,000. One of these will be occupied by Mr. E. H. HOLBROOK.

Fairhaven's Electric Light in Operation for the First Time.
    After three months' fighting against the elements the electric light company started their wheels Saturday night last. A test of the plant alone was made, and not until Sunday night was the current turned on the outside circuit. That the test was a perfect success, goes without saying as the brilliantly lighted streets and store and office rooms were prima facie evidence of that fact. Not a single disagreeable occurrence or accident happened and even the most sanguine friends and those most interested [in] the plant were satisfied beyond their hopes and expectations.
    The Fairhaven Electric Light and Motor Company was organized last January with a capital stock of $100,000. The gentlemen interested, thoroughly awake to the needs of a live energetic and growing city, concluded upon forming an organization for the lighting of Fairhaven after the most approved plan. The company very shortly after organizing, had the work of building the plant at once under way and pushed it to completion. It is situated on Cowgill street, between 12th and 14th streets, on the Fairhaven and Southern Railroad. The building is a frame structure with a boiler house attached. The main room contains the office of the business manager, the engine and the two dynamos. The boiler has a capacity of one hundred horse power, while the engine is of seventy-five horse power. The dynamos are of the most improved pattern and make, the incandescent, or the improved Edison, and they are an American. The former has a capacity of five hundred incandescent lamps of sixteen candle power each, while the arc machine will furnish current enough to light fifty-five of the arc lamps. About eight miles of wife has been strung up to the present time, and the work is not nearly completed, as only a two-wire system is in use, which will be replaced by a three-wire system in a very short time. The latter method of conveying the current gives much better service and can be used to better advantage by the company, as it is less liable to accident, and is also more economical.

Sunday, September 7, 1890:

The official census returns gave Whatcom 3,977, New Whatcom 2151, Fairhaven 4057, Bellingham 216. As Bellingham is a part of Fairhaven and no longer exists under that name the real population of Fairhaven at the time of taking the census was 4,273, thus giving Fairhaven 296 more population than Whatcom, the place where resides the gentleman who had charge of taking the census for Western Washington and where his office was established.

The increase of entermitting (sic) and other fevers in this city is said by the physicians to be mainly due to the lack of sewerage. A professional sanitary engineer is now at work arranging for a perfect sewer system, but of course it will take some months to complete the work of putting in the sewers. In the meantime the people should use unstintedly (sic), disinfectants in all the places about the premises which can possibly creat nauseous and dangerous gasas (sic). Use lime and every other obtainable disenfectant (sic) freely and promote public health.

Friday, September 19, 1890:

        Calvin F. KEESLING, chairman of the Whatcom County Board of Commissioners for the past four years, died at 2:30 a. m. yesterday, at Steilacoom, where he was taken for treatment only five days ago. Mr. KEESLING's first illness dates back to about May 10, at which time the commissioners were in session and had under advisement important business, which, as chairman of the board, he was prone to leave incomplete, and in consequence taxed himself beyond his strength -- he grew gradually worse until in July, when he again rallied and was able to be around -- going out driving occasionally with his wife. When the time for the August term of the board came round, he was urged not to attend by his family and friends, but being possessed of more hope than strength he undertook to be present as a member of that board, and his strength has failed him gradually from that time to the hour of his final departure.
          Mr. Keesling was born in Henry County, Indiana about the year 1833, and was, therefore, 57 years old. He emigrated to California at an early day, crossing the plains with a wagon train: thence to Oregon, and from Oregon to Whatcom County about the year 1872, where he first settled on Ten Mile Creek, near Yager post office. He first settled on the site of his Whatcom home in 1878, when it was yet a wilderness. He has accomplished by patient toil and well directed efforts much, and his acres planted in trees, berries, flowers, evergreens, etc., in endless variety, are admired by all. No place in the county is a better advertisement of the capabilities of our soil than is his. As a neighbor he was ever kind and true. It can be truthfully said of him that he was honest. He was sober: he was industrious; he was careful; he was reliable; he was not an extremist, and in every sense of the word, a true, conscientious man.
          His taking away to many unexpectedly, will cause many of the old pioneers to grieve who have long known and learned to love him. His place in our midst is not easily filled, and his wife and family have the sympathy of the entire community.

Monday, December 29, 1890:

     Among the founders of Fairhaven or any of its pioneers, no one is more highly esteemed by all the people than Mr. E. M. WILSON, a member of the Fairhaven Land company and one of the original projectors of the scheme for building upon its present site this fair and most promising city. E. M. WILSON was born near Oregon City, Oregon, November 5, 1847 (sic). His father, Edward A. was born and reared in Onondago (sic) county, New York and his mother, whose maiden name was Mary A. SLY, was a native of Ireland. When a young man the elder WILSON, desiring to see "the wonders of the world abroad," sailed to many countries, and finally in Australia met the lady who afterwards became his wife and the mother of the subject of this sketch. He died in Umatilla county, Oregon, August 11, 1890 and under the heading, "Umatilla County's First Surveyor," the East Oregonian, a remarkably bright newspaper of Pendleton, in that county, thus noted the sad occurrence: "E. A. WILSON, who died Tuesday at the home of his daughter, Mrs. J. R. HAYES, in Pendleton, at the age of 78 years, was among the early Oregon pioneers and is well known by old-timers in this section. He was the first surveyor ever elected in Umatilla county, and was so well liked that he served eight years in that capacity. He laid out the townsite of Pendleton in 1869, and has been identified with the growth of Umatilla county almost since its organization. He manufactured the first threshing machine ever built in Oregon.
     Mr. WILSON was born in Onondago (sic) county, N. Y., August 13, 1812. He removed when a young man to Australia to seek his fortune. While there he wooed and won a bride, Miss Mary A. SLY, the ceremony taking place November 4, 1844. Mrs. WILSON survives her husband and is now residing with her daughter in Pendleton. Five daughters and two sons (sic) blessed their union, one of the latter, Mr. E. M. WILSON, being a partner of Nelson BENNETT, the railway contractor. Mr. and Mrs. WILSON removed from Australia to the Sandwich Islands, removed again in 1847 to Oregon, each voyage occupying three months. They located at Oregon City, then a small village, and came to this country in 1863, where they have resided until Mr. WILSON's death. The deceased will be remembered by his old-time friends as a man who possessed the good qualities of the ideal pioneer, intelligence, honesty, industry and the determined spirit which rises superior to all obstacles in the task of rearing homes in the wilderness".
     Edward M. WILSON, of whom this sketch is written, attended the best educational institutions of the coast until 1866, when at the age of 19 he went to Chicago and took a course of about one year in a commercial college, after which he went to Wyoming territory as a clerk for NOUNAN, ORR & Co., contractors on the main line, then being constructed, of the Union Pacific railroad. With this firm he remained until the completion of the road in 1869. Mr. Wilson then went into the newspaper business at Corinne, Utah. At that time Corinne was the only "gentile" town in that Mormon territory. It was also the outfitting and shipping point for the settlements in Montana and Idaho. The stage lines for numerous places in those regions ran from Corinne and the traffic was large. It was expected that this place would be the junction of the Union Pacific and Southern Pacific railroads, and would therefore be a place of great importance. The newspaper, with which Mr. WILSON was connected, as business manager, was called The Corinne Reporter, and it was established for the purpose of waging war against Mormonism and for the building up of the city of Corinne. Hon. D. J. TOOHEY, now judge of the Superior Court of San Francisco, was one of the gentlemen interested in the journalistic venture, and J. H. BEADLE, the well-known writer for magazines and newspaper syndicates, a series of whose illustrated articles on a trip through Europe, have lately been running in the Fairhaven Herald and in other leading newspapers throughout the country, was the editor of the Reporter. Other and more powerful interests, however, diverted from Corinne its prestige and chances, especially the then very strong influence of the Mormon Church, and the city went down, after a hard fight of two years, in which the editor frequently suffered from personal rencontres (sic) with irate Mormons. Mr. WILSON then, in 1871, went to Salt Lake City and took the business management of the Salt Lake Review, another anti-Mormon publication which made a strong, aggressive fight for one year, against the hosts of that earthly so-called Zion. It was during this time that Brigham YOUNG, the head of the Mormon Church, was arrested for high crimes and misdemeanors in connection with outrages against Gentlies and as the claief director of the murderous band known as the Danites." At that time, also, Hon. George L. WOOD, formerly governor of Oregon, was governor of Utah, and Hon. George A. BLACK of Fairhaven, was the territorial secretary.
     After the demise of the Review, Mr. WILSON went into mining operations in Utah and held high places of trust with several strong companies in that business. In those days the only politics in Utah was Gentiles vs. Mormons, and Mr. WILSON being in a county which was the only one having a Gentile majority--that because the voters were for the most part miners--(Tooele county) was nominiated and elected as a member of the Utah legislature. All the other members of that body being Mormons, he was voted out of his seat by the other members, notwithstanding that the governor had issued to him a certificate of election. On account of Mr. WILSON's overwhelming majority, however, the Mormon legislators did not dare to seat his opponent, so the county went unrepresented. Mr. WILSON's immediate predecessor, Col. FOOTE, had been rejected in the same manner by the Mormons in power.
      While in Utah Mr. WILSON was the Grand Master of Oddfellows in the territory and was the youngest Grand Master in the United States. He was also the Worshipful Master of the Masonic Lodge to which he belonged.
     In 1879 Mr. WILSON went to Idaho and was among the first discoverers and locators of the Wood River and Saw Tooth mines in Alturas county of that territory. Among the mines which he discovered and located was the famous Vienna mine. Mr. WILSON remained in that region mining and merchandising until 1884, and part of the time was interested with Mr. Nelson BENNETT whom he had known in Utah. In 1882 he was elected to the legislature of Idaho from Alturas county by the largest majority in the territory, and was nominated for speaker of the House by the Republicans of that body. The two parties, Republicans and Democrats were equally divided in that body, there being twelve of each and hence there was a "deadlock," as to the speakership, until both Mr. WILSON and his opponent, the Democratic candidate, withdrew from the fight and a third man was elected.
      In the summer of 1884 at the solicitation of Nelson BENNETT, who had the contract for building the Cascade division of the Northern Pacific, Mr. WILSON came to Washington to take the management of a large part of BENNETT's contract, and in 1884-5-6, he had charge of some of the most important work on that division, outside of the famous Stampede tunnel. In 1887-8 Mr. WILSON was the senior partner in the firm of E. M. WILSON & Co., which firm built many of the Northern Pacific branch roads in Montana, and in which a large quantity of the heaviest work on that road was successfully carried out, in both time and character, and the results were exceedingly profitable to E. M. WILSON & Co., and everybody else concerned while the work was of the most acceptable kind and stands today a credit to that, great system of railroads.
      After completing his railroad work in Montana, Mr. WILSON went to Tacoma and invested there and at Olympia in real estate, when it was comparatively cheap, and of course added largely thereby to his capital. In February 1888, Mr. WILSON and Mr. E. L. COWGILL came to where Fairhaven now stands at the instigation of Mr. Nelson BENNETT, and from this point, made a careful exploration of the surrounding country and especially of the proposed route of railway from Bellingham bay to Seattle, which is today the Fairhaven and Southern railway and shortly to be transferred to the Great Northern system, and it already connects Fairhaven with the Canadian Pacific railroad on the north and the Northern Pacific railroad on the south.
     These gentlemen, Messrs. WILSON and COWGILL made a close and thorough investigation of all the advantages that would accrue to the proposed line of road, its resources for the shipment of timber, agricultural products, iron, coal, stone and passengers, and their report to Mr. BENNETT gave an exhaustive account, in minute detail, of the topography of the country through which the line would be built, the advantages and obstacles, the streams to be crossed and their character, the probable cost of construction per mile, the results to be obtained and all and singular the benefits to be derived and the difficulties to be encountered. In short the report was a pen picture of the country from Bellingham bay to Seattle along a belt tributary to such a road and is in every particular an admirable paper of its character, a copy of which, dated March 1, 1888, being in possession of this editor at the time of writing. The report concludes with these words, some of them prophetic, "Important towns would, in all probability, be built up at Bellingham bay, and at the crossings or in the valleys of the Samish, Skagit, Stillaguamish and Snohomish rivers. The harbor at Bellingham bay is one of the finest on the coast. The bay lies in a semi-circle, with fine anchorage, and shipping is perfectly safe, during the severest storms, and at the southern portion of the bay, (Where Fairhaven now stands, Ed.) vessels can come to within a few feet of the mainland. This examination and report we have made by your request from a disinterested standpoint and would add that we were surprised at the vast natural resources, principally undeveloped as yet, and think the field presented for a profitable railroad enterprise is the very best on the coast." This report was endorsed by Mr. BENNETT in the following terms: "Messrs. WILSON and COWGILL are both experienced in the available resources of the West, and are also practical railroad builders. They are personally known to me and I am confident the above report is not overdrawn, as it was made at my instigation for the purpose of deciding whether I should embark in the proposed enterprise or not. The fact of the proposed road being a trunk line north and south, connecting the Canadian Pacific and the entire British Northwest by rail communication with the entire Pacific coast, should guarantee its speedy construction outside of all local advantages mentioned in the report."
      In the summer of 1888 Mr. WILSON returned to Montana for a few months and in September of 1889, came to Fairhaven and took charge as general manager of the the (sic) Fairhaven and Southern railroad, which position he holds yet, and is also treasurer of that company and of the Fairhaven Land company. He was one of the prime movers and is a large stockholder in the Skagit Coal and Transportation company and is president of the First National bank of Fairhaven, treasurer of the Bellingham Bay Gas company, president of the Cascade Club, was interested in the organization and establishment of the Water and Electric Light company and in short has taken part in the organization and establishment of nearly every valuable Public enterprise in the city.
     At the last municipal election he was chosen by the people, with a handsome majority, to be mayor of Fairhaven and is altogether a public-spirited, liberal, enterprising and progressive citizen. He has built for himself a handsome residence in Fairhaven and though yet a bachelor, his splendid home is presided over by his sister, Miss Elbry WILSON, and his mother in a charming and hospitable manner. Personally, E. M. WILSON is a prince among men. He is brave, generous, whole-souled and happy. He is possessed of a high order of intelligence and has a ripe discriminating judgment. No man is more highly esteemed among his fellowmen and his friends partaking of his own exalted and chivalrous nature, are faithful, ardent and admiring. Indeed in E. M. WILSON such graces of character combine as "Give the world assurance of a man."
copied by Bob Wilson

Thursday, July 2, 1891:

The following new suit[s] were filed with C. C. HIXON, clerk of the superior court, yesterday:
--Prudence O. MITCHELL vs. William MITCHELL -- The plaintiff in this suit states that they were married at Port Townsend in 1889; that ever since their marriage the defendant has neglected and failed to provide for her, and that he has been guilty of habitual drunkenness for more that a year passed, wherefore the plaintiff prays for a dissolution of marriages.
--The State of Washington vs. John COSTELLO -- This criminal action has been brought over from Judge STILLWELL's court of Blaine, wherein the defendant is accused of assault and battery with intent to kill upon the person of John BAKER, who resides at Semiahmoo. The trouble arose from BAKER trying to prevent COSTELLO from shooting his wife.

Tuesday, July 21, 1891:

-Considerable building activity is displayed in various parts of the city. The Rother block on thirteenth street, and the Bellingham Bay National Bank building corner of Elk and Holly streets, are two imposing and substantial structures, built entirely of Chuckanut stone.
-Mr. and Mrs. J. R. McKINLEY had a narrow escape from what might have proved a serious accident on Sunday while driving from Lake Whatcom. Their horse becoming frightened, started at a mad pace down the hill, near the city limits, but Mr. McKINLEY was able to check it before any accident other than a general shaking occurred.
-Contractor FOYE is in Tacoma, it is said, looking after men to work on his street contract. The men employed by him demanded $2.00 per day instead of $1.75, also that they be paid in coin instead of time checks. There will probably be trouble should he succeed in importing men to work the contract. The sympathy of the citizens is largely in favor of the strikers.

--C. H. GEST returned yesterday from a trip to Seattle and Tacoma.
--Mrs. F. M. DONNELLY returned yesterday from a few weeks visit at Puyallup.
--A. G. DUNCAN, formerly of the Seattle Press, made the Herald a pleasant call last evening.
--A. G. ELMORE, the gas engineer, who constructed the Bellingham Bay Gas works, is in the city.
--Geo. O. EVANS, late of the steamer State of Washington, is spending a few days in the city.
--Colonel W. H. HAKES returned yesterday morning from a business trip to Jefferson and Clallam counties.
--Lieutenant J. M. DOUGAN returned yesterday from Tacoma, and from active duty at the scene of the late mining difficulties in King county.
--Work on Joe ALSOP's cold storage warehouse is being pushed rapidly, and the building will be ready for occupancy in three weeks.
--Paul THOMSON was drunk on Sunday and yesterday morning he was fined three dollars and costs, in Judge CLARK's court. The fine was paid.
--The brick work on Mr. WALDRON's big block, corner of McKenzie and Twelfth streets, is going up rapidly. The foundations to the building are massive.
---The grading of McKenzie avenue and the cross streets in the southwestern part of the city is about completed, and the planking is progressing admirably. Altogether it is one of the costliest and most excellent pieces of street work ever done in the state.

The hill at the point is to be cut away and the dirt thrown into the bay at the little cove at the foot of McKenzie, Larrabee, Donovan, Wilson and Cowgill streets, all of which will very much alter topography of that part of the city.

Wednesday, July 22, 1891:

The rails of the electric street railway have been laid from the New Whatcom line to the intersection of Eleventh and Front streets, a distance of about a mile, and the road will probably be completed to Harris street by the end of the week. Ten days or two weeks from now will see the entire line complete and in operation, and it will be the best street railway on the Pacific coast.

Ole T. TRYGSTAD prays for letters of administration on the estate of John L. OLSEN, deceased. The estate is valued at $1,600.

Charles BUCKLEY asks that letters of administration be granted him on the estate of his brother, Asa BUCKLEY, deceased. The estate is valued at $1,100.

Perry N. DELLINGER has invented an engine which promises to revolutionize this branch of mechanics.

C. F. WALDRON returned to the city yesterday after an extended absence.

Mr. and Mrs. Frank WILKESON and Sam returned yesterday from a pleasant sojourn to Hamilton.

Colonel J. S. MUNDY leaves this morning for a business trip to a Mississippi river point for the purpose of closing an important business transaction which will be conducive to the interests of Fairhaven. He will probably be absent from the city three weeks.

Thursday, July 23, 1891:

Institution of Fairhaven Lodge No. 73, A. F. and A. M.
Last night was the occasion of a very interesting event among the Ancient Free and Accepted Masons of Bellingham bay. It was the institution of Fairhaven Lodge No. 73, which has heretofore been working under dispensation,installation of officers and dedication of the new hall in the Knights of Pythias block on Eleventh street. ... visiting brethren, Deputy Grand Master A. A. PLUMMER, of Port Townsend, as grand master, assisted by Past Grand Master J. A. KUHN, of Port Townsend, as deputy grand master. Sir Knight W. S. PARKER, of Fairhaven, as deputy grand senior warden; Brother R. E. HELMS, of Fairhaven, ad deputy grand junior warden and Sir Knight Carmi DIBBLE, of New Whatcom, as grand chaplain.
These officials performed the ceremony of instituting the lodge, and the grand master and deputy grand master, assisted by the entire assembly, installed the officers of the lodge as follows:
John H. WARE, treasurer.
J. C. BURNS, S. D.
George B. McCOY, steward.
A. J. BORIE, steward.
The lodge was named and numbered Fairhaven Lodge No. 73. ...

F. C. POTTS, of Mission, B. C., is in the city.

Fred T. ALBEE arrived from Cloverdale, Cal., Tuesday.

A. L. BLAINE and wife of Tacoma, are registered at The Fairhaven.

W. B. DAVEY left yesterday for California, where his wife is seriously ill. He will probably be absent three weeks.

Henry A. McLEAN, of Marion, Kansas, a prominent attorney there and assistant counsel for the A. T. & S. F. R. R., is visiting Fairhaven. He is an old friend of Dr. WEST.

J. A. KUHN, of Port Townsend, who has so many friends in Fairhaven that he seems to be at home in the Focal City, is here as one of the officers of the Masonic Grand Lodge.

Dr. WEST's family moved to Fairhaven yesterday and began housekeeping, and now the genial doctor and his pleasant family are fully established as a part of Fairhaven's excellent social circle.

D. L. MOODY returned last evening from a trip up the Sound. Mr. MOODY, it will be remembered, came out in charge of E. E. HILL's stud of horses, and is one of the best posted men on Kentucky stock pedigrees.

A. A. PLUMMER, deputy grand master of the Washington Grand Lodge of Free Masons, says that Fairhaven is a delightful and astonishing city, which has grown in the most wonderful manner. He is proud to have officiated in instituting the Fairhaven lodge, of which he predicts the most flattering things.

Colonel C. H. HOLDEN, who is the prime mover in the establishment of the Chatauquan grounds and university near Port Townsend, called on the Herald yesterday. He came to the Sound last April from Chicago on a visit and liked the country so well that he has determined to dispose of his Chicago property and remain here.

E. Y. GRASSET, deputy city clerk, who has been ill for the past two weeks is again at his desk.

        Yesterday afternoon, while the city council was in session, Councilman DARLING received a telegram stating that his father, A. DARLING, of Towanda, Bradford county, Pa., had died that morning. Councilman DARLING, who was filling the chair in the absence of Mayor WILSON, called Councilman KINGHORN to the chair, and immediately left the council chamber, explaining to his colleagues the cause.
        Mr. A. DARLING was an old resident of Towanda, and was 84 years of age, having been born in 1807. Although ailing for some time past, the news of his death was not expected, and was a severe shock to Major DARLING and his family.

Jack ROUSE and a party of four left for the Cascades yesterday to develop some rich claims held by the ROUSE brothers.

Friday, July 24, 1891:

J. S. McMILLAN, of Roche Harbor, was in the city yesterday.

I. William ADAMS, of Seattle is registered at The Fairhaven.

James POWERS, of La Conner, is stopping at the Fairhaven.

A. G. DUGAN, inspector and special agent of George EASTON & Co.'s Insurance agency of San Francisco, is in the city. ...

Several buildings are being connected with the Eleventh street sewer.

D. W. FELT has removed his meat market from McKenzie avenue to new and handsome quarters in the Beadle block on Twelfth street.

Saturday, July 25, 1891:

George VAUTIER, one of the owners of the coal mine below the Chuckanut quarries, reports the work of development going on steadily, and that the mine is showing up first-class.

Joseph DUSENBERRY, of the late firm of DUSENBERRY & BATEMAN, left last evening for his home in Cincinnati. Mr. DUSENBERRY has been a resident of Fairhaven nearly two years. ...

Sunday, July 26, 1891:

County Superintendent G. B. JOHNSON has returned from holding examinations of pupils throughout the county, who have completed the common school course. He reports a marked improvement, in not only school houses, but the quality of of work done.

Colonel P. A. WOOLLEY, of Woolley, was in the city yesterday.

Tuesday, July 28, 1891:

M. M. CLOTHIER, of Ten Mile, in the Nooksack Valley, was here yesterday on business connected with the county encampment of Veterans, that is to be held at Ferndale Aug. 26 and 27. Comrade CLOTHIER has secured for the association a spacious tent, which will be erected on the grounds to be used as an audience room, that will seat about 700 people. The grounds for the encampment - at a sightly place on the banks of the Nooksack river - have been cleared and leveled for the purpose. ...

B. W. LORING, of Lynden, one of the tide-land appraisers for this county was in Fairhaven yesterday. ...

W. G. GOOCH is back again from Sauk City. ...

Kirk E. SMITH, who has been spending the summer in Fairhaven, left Sunday for Southern California.

Wednesday, July 29, 1891:

--J. S. WATSON was admitted to final citizenship.
--Clarence F. WHEELER and Helen JUNTIE have taken out a license to wed.
--Another grist mill is to be erected on the tide flats in the neighborhood of the G street wharf.

--ADAMS' bath house in now in complete running order at WOODIN's wharf. If you want a good salt water bath, take it in.
--James LEONARD drew a knife on C. B. WISNER last night on Eleventh street. The quarrel seems to be the result of an old feud of long standing. LEONARD was promptly arrested, and yesterday was examined before Justice CLARK, and in default of $500, was committed to jail.
--Chas. P. THORE, a business man of San Francisco, is stopping at the Fairhaven.
--W. H. MOHR and family, Mrs. Max KUNER and Miss RICHARD are rusticating at Orcas.
--Mrs. William PEASLEE of Taylor Falls, Minn., is visiting Fairhaven, a guest of Mrs. R. L. and Mrs. A. M. CLARK.
--T. DENOON, formerly a prominent citizen of Butte, Montana, is in the city, and will make his permanent residence here.

        Dr. C. L. ERWIN, the pioneer dentist of Fairhaven, in order to accommodate his patients has opened an office in New Whatcom. The doctor graduated from Philadelphia dental college in 1884, and was demonstrator in the college of Baltimore for one year. Prior to his coming to Fairhaven he owned and conducted four of the finest offices of Eastern Pennsylvania and has practiced dentistry in the offices of the most skillful practitioners of Philadelphia. Dr. ERWIN started with this city and his practice has grown with it. ...

Thursday, July 30, 1891:

M. WARNOCK, a young gentleman from Minneapolis, arrived in Fairhaven yesterday. ... Mr. WARNOCK will remain for some time in the city and will probably locate here.

Fire escapes are being placed in THISTLE's opera house.

W. M. REMBAUGH's logging camp at Lake Samish, and all his outfit, except oxen, were burned Saturday night.

Miss Fannie BUTZ, of Visalia, Cal., is visiting Fairhaven, the guest of her aunt, Mrs. W. L. VISSCHER.

Friday, July 31, 1891:

Superior court
- Estate of George H. JUDSON, deceased - Signed order appointing Flora A. JUDSON administratrix. Her bond was fixed at $250.
- Prudence A. MITCHELL vs. William MITCHELL - Decree of divorce granted.

H. D. BREWSTER, of New York city, is a guest at The Fairhaven. He has been looking over the Sound country with a view to locating.

Newell S. BARR and Carrie E. FESENBECK have received permission to wed.

C. Ferris WHITE has on exhibition an elegant design for the proposed city hall. Mr. WHITE prepared the plans of many of the best buildings in Seattle and Spokane.

A lodge of the Ancient Order of Foresters was organized last night with a membership of thirty.

TAYLOR & MOLLER have completed the plans for the Trinity Methodist Episcopal church, which will be erected this summer. The building will be of stone and will cost about $40,000.

Guy FENTON, driver of the Bellingham Bay Ice company's wagon, was severely injured yesterday afternoon. The team became frightened at the approach of a train and started down Railroad avenue, throwing FENTON to the ground. He was cut about the face and head, besides sustaining severe bodily injuries. The horses and wagon received little damage.

A longshoreman named DANDELION, fell off the Hill-Welbon dock yesterday afternoon. He was rescued by a companion, none the worse for his involuntary bath.

Work on the cold storage warehouse, on the corner of Bennett and Railroad avenues, is being pushed rapidly, and it will be ready for occupancy in ten days or two weeks.

Following are the names of the officers of the Blue Canyon Coal Mining company:
M. E. DOWNS, president; John T. MURPHY, vice-president; J. H. BLOEDEL, secretary. Trustees: M. E. DOWNS, John T. MURPHY and J. H. BLOEDEL. Mr. DOWNS will make his home in Fairhaven for the present.

Tuesday, August 4, 1891:

Death of Lee WADDEL
Lee WADDEL [WADDELL], teller of the Columbia National bank, died at the Byron house Sunday night of peritonitis. His illness was only of a week's duration, and his funeral yesterday was one of the largest ever witnessed in this city. The deceased was very popular and had many friends. Rev. C. A. THORBURN, of the Methodist church, conducted the funeral obsequies, and the Whatcom encampment Knights of Pythias and the Knights of the Golden Eagle, of which he was a member, attended the funeral in full regalia, and paid their respects at the grave of a departed brother. Deceased was only about 25 years of age.

Joe GROSMAN [GROSSMAN], proprietor of the Green Tree saloon, died Sunday evening of cancer of the stomach.

S. TAYLOR, of Dunkirk, N. Y., an uncle of Manager TAYLOR of the Fairhaven, arrived in the city yesterday.

F. V. DUNHAM, formerly of this city, but now a live real estate man and rancher of Friday Harbor, is in the city greeting old time friends.

Wednesday, August 5, 1891:

Thomas LEWIS, one of Fairhaven's most respected citizens died yesterday morning at his home, corner of Tenth and Douglas streets, of cancer of the stomach. Mr. LEWIS has been a resident of Fairhaven for nearly two years. He was the first man to buy a lot in this city after Fairhaven had been platted. This was in 1883, and Mr. LEWIS was at that time living in San Francisco. He bought the lot at the corner of Tenth and Douglas 100x100, for $200. and it is today a valuable piece of property. Mr. LEWIS was 63 and 4 months old. His wife survives him, but he leaves no children. The funeral will take place this afternoon from his late residence under the auspices of Fairhaven lodge A. F. and A. M. Rev. L. W. APPLEGATE will conduct the religious services at the house, and the interment will be in the Whatcom cemetery.

Thursday, August 6, 1891:

The funeral of Thomas LEWIS, who died Tuesday morning, took place yesterday afternoon from his late residence, corner of Tenth and Douglas. The funeral was under the direction of Fairhaven Lodge A. F. and A. M., of this city, who marched from their lodge room to the home of the deceased and thence to the Methodist church, where Rev. F. W. LOY conducted the religious exercises. The remains were interred in the Whatcom cemetery. Mr. LEWIS was 64? years of age and a native of Hamburg, Germany.

Friday, August 7, 1891:

Cora E. McCUMBER, yesterday, filed a petition for a divorce from Marvin McCUMBER. The plaintiff alleges, in her complaint, that she was married to defendant at Ontario county, New York, in November, 1882, and that she lived with him up to the year 1885; that since that time he has refused to support and maintain plaintiff, and has used her in a cruel and inhuman manner. She therefore asks to be awarded a decree of divorce and the custody of a minor child, the issue of said marriage.

Wednesday, August 26, 1891:

A Happy Event
August HELLGREN and Carrie ISACKSON were married at the Pavilion last night, Rev. FOSS, of the Norwegian Lutheran church, officiating. It was the swellest kind of swell wedding and the bride and groom, who are prominent in Scandinavian social circles, received the heartiest wishes of more than a hundred friends. Refreshments were served during the evening, and dancing was indulged in by many, an excellent orchestra furnishing the music. An elegant spread at the Hotel Vendome was not the least attractive feature of the evening. Mr. and Mrs. HELLGREN have the best wishes of hosts of friends in Fairhaven as well as elsewhere. The happy couple will reside at the corner of Twenty-first and Harris.

Death of Mrs. George B. McCOY
It is with deep regret that the death of Mrs. George B. McCOY is announced. Mrs. McCOY was ill for about six weeks with peritonitis, yet her friends had good hope of her recovery. A serious relapse, however, occurred on Monday, and she gradually sank under it, expiring last night about 7 o'clock. The funeral will take place on Thursday afternoon from the late residence, Twenty-first street, to the Congregational church, where a service will be held.

Miss Laura S. KERR, teacher of vocal and instrumental music. Rooms in St. James' Parish building on Thirteenth, between Mill and Knox.

Blue Canyon City now has two saloons.

The directors of school district No. 2 are examining plans for a brick and stone school building on Virginia street. The building will cost about $20,000.

     Yesterday morning on board the steamer City of Seattle among the passengers were Miss Cora L. BUNYARD and Mr. R. C. VANDERFORD, of this city. A personal telegram from Seattle received at the Herald office last evening is laconically to the effect that "at the Congregational church, by Rev. John F. DAMON, at 7 o'clock." This simply means that our esteemed fellow citizen R. C. VANDERFORD and Miss Cora I. BUNYARD are at this writing Mr. and Mrs. VANDERFORD.
     Miss BUNYARD has been a resident of Fairhaven for over two years, and is, therefore, while a young and fair citizen, one of the oldest residents of the Focal City. She is the daughter of Mrs. Nannie STODDARD, whose residence is on Fourteenth street, first door north of the DAVY House.
     The present Mrs. VANDERFORD is a charming and accomplished young lady, and she and Mr. VANDERFORD became acquianted some years ago in the Coeur d'Alene, where their acquaintance and friendship terminated in the love that has resulted as herein mentioned.
     Mr. VANDERFORD is one of the staunch and solid citizens of Fairhaven, a gentleman of large means and becoming enterprise. Cordial, genial, warm-hearted, popular and public-spirited, of course his legion of friends will congratulate both him and his bride, but the jolly coterie of bachelors among whom he has been such a notable factor will regret to lose him from their brotherhood.
     Mr. and Mrs. VANDERFORD will leave Seattle today for a trip to Tacoma and Portland and it had been their intention to go as far as San Francisco, but preemptory business demanding Mr. VANDERFORD's presence in this city within a fortnight the happy couple will return to Fairhaven in about ten days when they will take up their future and permanent residence. In the immediate future they will occupy the handsome cottage on Fourteenth street, the third from the corner of Douglas, lately occupied by Colonel HOLTON. ....

     The dedication ceremonies of the new Knights of Pythias hall, Eleventh street, were held last night. While the attendance of visitors was not very large the occasion was a thoroughly enjoyable one. The hall is a most beautiful one, tastefully furnished and admirably arranged for the work of the lodge. ... J. B. ROGERS, D. D. G. C., officiated, with the following staff:
W. R. NEWNAN, acting G. V. C.; A. C. GRUBE, acting G. P.; George CHAPPELL, acting G. M. at A.; George W. BUTTNER, acting G. K. OF R. and S.; S. A. BRIEST, acting G. M. of Ex.; A. S. BALCH, acting I. G.; T. C. COURTENAY, acting O. G.; J. O'NEAL, Herald.
     After the dedicatory services were concluded Major Ell WILKIN delivered an eloquent opening address, in which the rise and growth of Pythianism were graphically depicted. ....
     A piano dues by Misses KERR and EGGLESTON, a bass solo by Mr. John BLACK, a recitation by Mr. H. D. COOLEY and a quartette consisting of Messrs. CRESSWELL, BLACK, GATES and COHN were admirably rendered, as well as a piano solo by Miss EGGLESTON, and a solo by Mr. A. P. COHN, who received a hearty encore.
     Mr. LIVERMORE, of New Whatcom, delivered a brief closing address and the night's ceremonies and entertainment were over.

Call and leave your measure for shirts. Patronize home industry. W. R. NEWNAN, 1103 Harris avenue.

Sunday, September 6, 1891:

Met a Sudden Death
R. D. HATT, a young married man living near Geneva Lake Whatcom, met a sudden death on Friday. He was engaged in clearing some land, and while standing on a log slipped and fell, falling on a sharp stem of an alder, which, entering the rectum, pierced his bowels. He was found in an unconscious condition by his wife; help was summonded and the injured man was conveyed to his home and Dr. VAN ZANDT rendered medical assistance, but without avail, for the patient sank rapidly and died at 4 o'clock the same evening, of internal hemorrhage. He leaves a wife, and a child of three years of age.

For the first time in the history of Fairhaven the ladies voted and their presence at the polls was a novel feature of the election. Mrs. Lizzie HODGES and Mrs. Delila BLANKENSHIP were the first ladies to deposit their ballots, early in the afternoon, encouraged by their example, about seventy-five women voted during the day.

Extracted by Susan Nahas


Back to Newspaper Index

Back to Whatcom GenWeb Home Page