President Red Front Clothers; born in San Francisco, Cal., Sept. 16, 1864; son of Levi and Henrietta (Alpern) Altshuler; educated in the public schools. He began his business career in his father's clothing store and in 1889 removed to Washington, locating in Whatcom and established in the clothing and men's furnishing goods business and now has the largest establishment in that line north of Seattle. He was one of the organizers of the Whatcom fire department and served as secretary of the board of the fire delegates for 5 years and was foreman of Hose Company No. 2, 1892-1893, and was a charter member of the first company of the National Guard organized in Whatcom. Member of the Native Sons of the Golden West, I.O.O.F. and the Eagles. Married in 1897 to Miss Josephine Jacobs. Residence: 1909 I Street. Business address: 200 West Holly St., Bellingham.

From "Sketches of Washingtonians", by Wellington C. Wolfe, 1906.  Copied by Susan Nahas.

blue line


Among the successful physicians of Whatcom county is Dr. William Henry Axtell, who is now practicing in the county seat. He was born April 18, 1863, in Tipton, Indiana. His father, Henry Axtell, was a native of Pennsylvania. His ancestors located in the United States when this country was numbered among the colonial possessions of England. Representatives of the name joined the American army at the time of the Revolutionary war and fought for the independence of the colonies. The father of our subject was a farmer by occupation and carried on agricultural pursuits until the outbreak of the Civil war, when he offered his services to the government, enlisting in the Union army. He died while in the service, on the 26th of February, 1863. His brother, William, and his brother-in-law, Jesse Whistler, were killed in the battle of Memphis, near Baton Rouge, while he himself died at Young's Point, Louisiana. The mother bore the maiden name of Harriet Ann Lewis, and was born in Indiana. She, too, came of Revolutionary stock and was of English descent. She still survives her husband, and is now living at the old home in Tipton, Indiana. In the family were two sons, one of whom, Marion Vickery Axtell, is a contractor of Tipton. Dr. Axtell, of Whatcom, obtained his education in the public schools and was graduated from DePauw University, then known as Asbury University, of Greencastle, Indiana. He completed his course in 1889 and won the degrees of Bachelor of Philosophy and Master of Arts. Long prior to this time, however, he entered upon his business career. When only eleven years of age he left the public schools and went to work in a stave factory, driving a team and doing railroad work in that connection. In 1883 he joined his brother and purchased the business of the Tipton Transfer Company, changing the name to the Axtell Brothers' bus and dray line. In this way the Doctor earned enough to pay his college expenses. He was also express and transfer agent for the United States Express Company. After acquiring a good literary education to serve as the foundation upon which to rear the superstructure of his professional learning, he entered the Medical College of Ohio, at Cincinnati, where he remained from 1889 until the time of his graduation in April, 1891, with the degree of M. D.

Dr. Axtell located at once in Tipton, Indiana, where he began practice as a. member of the firm of Newcomer, Dickey & Axtell. This relation was maintained until 1894, when he came to Whatcom, having since made his home in this city. He is a member of the American Medical Association and was one of the organizers of the Whatcom County Medical Society, of which he served as the president for one year. He also belongs to the Washington State Medical Association, and is interested in whatever tends to bring to man the key to that complex mystery which we call life. His reading has covered a wide scope and his investigations in his line have made him a particularly capable physician. He is now medical examiner for a number of fraternal organizations and for several life insurance companies, including the Massachusetts Mutual, the Prudential, the Connecticut Mutual, the Aetna, the National Life, the Bankers' Life, the State Life, the Pacific Mutual and the Provident Life Insurance Company. He is likewise surgeon for the Northern Railway & Improvement Company and Northern Pacific Railway and for other corporations, and in addition to all these he has an extensive private practice.

On the 11th of June, 1891, Dr. Axtell wedded Miss Frances Sevilla Cleveland, of Sterling, Illinois, a daughter of William A. Cleveland, a farmer and stock-raiser of that state. This marriage has been blessed with two daughters, Ruth and Helen Frances. The father exercises his right of franchise in support of the men and measures of the Republican party, and served as city health officer of Tipton for three years. He has, however, never been an office-seeker nor sought reward for his party fealty. He belongs to the Methodist Episcopal Church, and is an enthusiastic worker in behalf of any movement for the benefit of his community. His time and attention are naturally most largely given to his professional duties, and therein he shows himself ably qualified to perform the arduous task which continually confronts the physician in his attempt to alleviate human suffering and prolong life. He has, moreover, a genial, kindly nature which is manifested in his ready and helpful sympathy.

From "A History of the Puget Sound Country" by Col. William F. Prosser, Lewis Publishing 1903, pages 313-314; copied by Matt Aamott.

blue line


Antone Behme, who was born November 27, 1845, in Centerville, Orange County, New York, and now resides in Custer, Washington, was the third in order of birth in the family of Henry J. and Mary A. (Ketchum) Behme. The father was a native of Germany and in 1836 came to the United States. He was a tailor by trade and followed that pursuit for many years in order to provide for his family. He wedded Mary A. Ketchum, a native of the Empire state and a representative of an old American family that was founded in this country in colonial days and sent its sons forth to service in the Revolutionary war and in the war of 1812. In the year 1847 Henry J. Behme removed with his family to Ohio, settling in the northwestern part of that state. His wife died in 1881, at the age of fifty-six years, and he passed away in 1888, at the age of seventy-six. They were the parents of four sons and three daughters: Margaret A., who died in girlhood; Frederick, who died while serving in the Union army in 1862; Antone, of this review; Mary M., the widow of J. J. Jeffers, of Ohio; Nathaniel, who is living in Custer, Washington; Julius C., a farmer of Iowa; and Eva, who died in Ohio, at the age of two years.

Antone Behme was only two years old when taken by his parents to Ohio, and there he was reared, attending the common schools of Wood County until thirteen years of age, after which he worked as a farm hand for two years. He was but a boy of sixteen years when, in October, 1861, he enlisted as a defender of the Union cause, joining the Sixty-Seventh Ohio Volunteer Infantry, with which he served for three years, the regiment being attached to the command of General Shields. He participated in the battle of Winchester, Virginia, in 1862, was in the engagement at Port Republic under Major McClellan and was under General Foster at the capture of Fort Wagner, South Carolina. He was then transferred to Washington on extra duty and was honorably discharged in 1865, after more than three years of faithful military service, which often called him into the thickest of the fight.

Mr. Behme had not yet attained his majority when the war was ended. Returning home he resumed the pursuits of peace, being engaged in farming in Ohio for three years. In 1868 he went to Michigan, where he was engaged in lumbering until 1873. He then went to Wisconsin, where he continued in the same business for about eleven years. Then determining to seek a home in the northwest, having heard very favorable reports of its business opportunities, he came to Washington in April, 1884, accompanied by his family. He settled first in Seattle, where he engaged in the operation of a sawmill and the manufacture of lumber, continuing in that business until 1892. During that time he operated one of the first sawmills built at Snohomish, after which he went to Grant's Pass, Oregon, and conducted a sash and door factory until 1888. He next went to Blaine, where he established a sawmill, here continuing the manufacture of lumber until 1891. In the fall of that year he purchased a mill in Custer which he operated until 1894, when he once more sold out and bought a half interest in a general store. He was thus connected with merchandising interests for two years, but disposed of the store in 1896 and since that time has engaged in the cultivation of farming lands. He also opened a hotel in Custer in 1892, and has since been its proprietor, conducting a first-class establishment, which has found favor with the traveling public by reason of the able manner in which it is managed.

In 1900 Mr. Behme was elected county commissioner of Whatcom county for a term of two years. While living in Wisconsin he served as justice of the peace from 1879 until 1884, covering three terms, was also school director for three terms, road supervisor for two terms, and foreman of the Lake Shore Traffic Company, operating its sawmill for five years. In every position of trust and responsibility to which he has been called he has shown himself worthy of the confidence reposed in him, by his prompt and faithful discharge of duty.

In 1873 occurred the marriage of Mr. Behme and Miss Clara I. Spencer, a native of Maine and a daughter of Isaac R. and Martha R. Spencer, both of whom were natives of Maine and members of old American families, the ancestry on the mother's side being traced back to the time of the landing of the Pilgrims. To Mr. and Mrs. Behme have been born eight children, as follows: Amy E., Percival M., Grace L., Claude E., Bessie M., Hugh L., Edna N., and Elmer E. Grace is now the wife of Edward Jones, of Custer, and the others are still at home. Mr. Behme belongs to the Masonic fraternity, and gives his political support to the Republican party. He has a wide acquaintance in this part of the state, and his many excellent traits of character, combined with a genial manner, have made him popular with his friends.

From "A History of the Puget Sound Country" by Col. William F. Prosser, Lewis Publishing 1903, pages 588-589; copied by Matt Aamott.

blue line


Physician and Surgeon; born in Ohio, January 1, 1860; moved to Washington in 1888. Member house of representatives 1894-96, state senator 1898-1902, firm of Biggs & Compton. Residence: 511 East Holly St.  Business address: 3-6 Fischer Blk., Bellingham.

 From "Sketches of Washingtonians", by Wellington C. Wolfe, 1906.  Copied by Susan Nahas.

blue line


Hardware merchant; born in Tuscola, Ill., January 2, 1867; son of Austen and Nina (Brooks) Blake; educated in the schools of Coffeyville and Oxford, Kan.; after which he taught in the country schools. He subsequently entered the employ of Davis & Glass of Coffeyville and in 1886 became messenger for the Adams Express Co., and was later cashier for the company at Wichita, Kan., until 1889, when he entered the service of the Fort Scott & Memphis Railroad Co., and continued in the employ of that company until 1892. From 1892 until 1895 he was employed as bookkeeper in a hardware store at Baxter Springs, Kan., after which he removed to Whatcom and secured a position with the Bellingham Bay Iron Co. The following year he entered into partnership with Lewis Mayhew and under the firm name of Mayhew & Blake engaged in the plumbing business and in August, 1897, became a member of the firm of Munro, Blake & Haskill, engaged in the hardware and plumbing business. He is now associated with his brother, Eugene A. Blake, operating under the name of the Blake Hardware Co. Member of the Masons, Woodmen of the World and the Maccabees. Married in 1891 to Miss Mary J. Nicholson. Residence: 2337 Park St. Business address: 128 East Holly St., Bellingham.

From "Sketches of Washingtonians", by Wellington C. Wolfe, 1906.  Copied by Susan Nahas.

blue line


There are few names in history that are more familiar to the student than that of Bruce, and Attorney Samuel M. Bruce, of Whatcom, Washington, can claim an ancestral line which reaches back to the first chief justice of England, Robert De Buis, a noble who came over with William the Conqueror and fought in the decisive battle of Hastings. The name is illustrious in Scottish, history. Members of this family came to America from the north of England, and from Scotland, as early as 1690, and became prominently identified with the early settlement and development of the colonies. They were noted for their patriotism, and our subject's great-grandfather was wounded during the Revolutionary struggle, at the battle of Monmouth, from the effects of which he died about the close of the war.

In 1806 the grandfather of Attorney Bruce emigrated from Virginia to the state of Ohio, and settled in what is now Hillsboro, Highland county. He had a family of five sons, James, John, Thomas, Christopher and William. They scattered through the west, and practically all the Bruces in the west belong to the same family.

Samuel M. Bruce was born April 12, 1856, in Clarksburg, Ross County, Ohio, and is a son of Thomas and Sarah (Norris) Bruce. Thomas Bruce was an Ohio farmer. During the Civil war his loyalty made him anxious to serve his country in the ranks, but his age prevented his enlistment. However lie found a useful sphere of activity in acting as a volunteer nurse, and spent his time in looking after his acquaintances who were able to do the fighting. Surely this was a noble trait of character. His death took place in 1878. The mother of our subject was of Welsh and English descent, and she was born north of Chillicothe, Ohio, where members of her family still reside. Exclusive of our subject, the family was as follows: Thomas, a fanner in Missouri; Albert, a physician in Kansas; Charles, a rancher in New Mexico; Marshall, a large lumberman and property owner at Whatcom; and Eva, the wife of U. W. Davidson, a merchant at Eureka, Illinois.

Samuel M. Bruce was educated in the public schools of his native county and in those of the state of Missouri, where his father located in 1868. After completing' his schooling, in 1870, he began to farm and also learned the trade of plasterer. His ambition, however, was to enter the legal profession, although his father encouraged him to study medicine. In order to please his parent, he applied himself during his evenings, his only spare time, to the study of medical works, but after six months' application he found that his inclinations led more strongly in the direction of law. In the spring of 1877 he entered the law office of A. W. Anthony, of Versailles, Missouri, and in the following October he passed his examination and was admitted to practice. In the following spring he opened a law office at Sedalia, Missouri,-and remained there until December, 1879.

Mr. Bruce made a visit of two years in Ohio, and during this time worked at his trade, and in January, 1882, located at Quincy, Illinois, and formed a partnership with Hon. George A. Anderson. Owing to ill health, he was obliged to withdraw soon after, and then went to Indiana, and on March i, 1882, opened there a law office and soon built up a lucrative practice, making this state his home until November I, 1889, when he came to Whatcom. Here he opened up an office, December 1, 1889, and on August 1, 1890, formed a partnership with 0. P. Brown, which continued until September, 1895. Mr. Bruce practiced alone until May, 1896, when he formed a partnership with H. A. Fairchild under the firm name of Fairchild & Bruce.

Mr. Bruce has long been prominent in politics, and in every locality in which he has resided has been one of the leading citizens. He was committeeman of his precinct and of the county central organization at Indianapolis for four years, as an ardent Republican, during both the Harrison and Cleveland administrations, but he was no office-seeker. He was president of the Citizens National Bank at Fairhaven in 1900, and he has been interested in various companies but not as an organizer. He is public-spirited and has assisted in many of the progressive movements which have resulted in the growth and development of this section. In his profession he has been constantly engaged in important litigation ever since the organization of the city.

Before entirely leaving the political career of Mr. Bruce, an interesting bit of political history may be recorded. In 1888 General Harrison and also Hon. Walter Gresham were aspirants for the office of president of the United States, and the race was close for the nomination. One man of the delegation to the national convention never swerved from his allegiance to Gresham, and the result was a factional fight. After Harrison was nominated, as a condition to secure the nomination, his friends pledged the electoral vote of the state. Harrison did not create any personal enthusiasm, and when the campaign was well under way the Gresham men were not zealous in his support. A conference was called at which the late Major W. H. Calkins, formerly a member of Congress from Indiana, was called in as a leader of the Gresham forces. There were present at this caucus General Harrison and five others, of whom S. M. Bruce was one. General Harrison stated that he was confronted with a condition that unless Gresham followers gave support, there would be no possibility of securing the electoral vote of Indiana, and he stated that he would rather lose the presidency than the support of his own state. He appealed to Calkins as head of the Gresham faction, for their support, stating that if elected, anything Calkins should ask for, he would receive. Calkins said: " General Harrison, in 1883, when a vacancy occurred in the office of postmaster general, you came from the Senate chamber to my chair in the house, went with me to President Arthur, and asked him to appoint me to that position, and President Arthur said he would gladly do so if I could be spared from the house. If you should be elected president, I should expect you to offer as much as you would ask for, of another."

To this General Harrison replied: "It shall be as you wish." The conference ended. After General Harrison was elected, Mr. Bruce met Major Calkins on the street and asked him if he recalled the conference, It then developed that Major Calkins had been asked to relinquish his claim for any position on the cabinet and to accept a foreign appointment. This was refused, and Major Calkins later decided to locate in Washington territory. Mr. Bruce had the matter recalled to him in the fall of 1891, when, in Tacoma, he visited Major Calkins, who said he was under sentence of death from his physicians. A vacancy had occurred in the Supreme Court, and Calkins and Bruce were discussing the matter, when Calkins suddenly called his stenographer and dictated a letter to President Harrison stating that his blighted hopes and ambitions had left no rancor, but that it would be a gracious and magnanimous act to appoint Judge Gresham to this vacant position. Some two weeks later, when Mr. Bruce again called upon Major Calkins, he was shown a letter from President Harrison in which the latter announced that he was sufficiently acquainted with lawyers of the United States to enable him to make proper nominations. That closed the Incident. It remains but a bit of political history, and Mr. Bruce is the only survivor of the original members of the committee.

On September 19, 1883, Mr. Bruce was married to Mary S. Babcock, who is a daughter of a prominent resident of Troy, New York. Mr. Bruce is a member of the Tribe of Ben Hur, and is an apprentice both in Masonry and the order of Knights of Pythias. He took the early rites in Indiana but never has renewed his connections. He also belongs to the Eagles.

From "A History of the Puget Sound Country" by Col. William F. Prosser, Lewis Publishing 1903, pages 306-308; copied by Matt Aamott.

blue line


Banker; born in Terre Alta, West Virginia, Sept. 11, 1867; son of George W. and Margaret (Silbough) Burke. He received his preliminary education in the public schools and subsequently attended Shenandoah College and later taught at Elk Garden, W.V. for 5 years. He began his career in the banking business in 1892 and was assistant cashier of the Terre Alta Bank, of which he was one of the organizers. He removed to Pittsburg, Pa. and was connected with the Monongahela House until 1897, when he came to Washington and was cashier of the Bank of Whatcom until November, 1899, when he became cashier of the Citizens' National Bank of Fairhaven. In August 1901, that institution was succeeded by Henry Andrews & Co., Bankers, of which he was manager, and is now cashier of the Home Security Savings Bank. Member of the Masonic Fraternity, Elks, K. of P. and the Cougar Club. Married in 1899 to Miss Cora Lee. Residence: 715 14th St. Business address: 300 West Holly St., Bellingham.

From "Sketches of Washingtonians", by Wellington C. Wolfe, 1906.  Copied by Susan Nahas.

blue line


Dentist; born in Portage, Wis., May 14, 1869; son of James M. and Clara (Kellum) Darling; received his preparatory education at Hammond Hall, Salt Lake City, and subsequently attended a dental college in Philadelphia, Pa., from which he graduated in 1890. He began the practice of his profession in Fairhaven and in 1892 removed to Whatcom. He was a member of the board of dental examiners from 1897 until 1899 and served as president of the board in 1898 and 1899, and was president of State Dental Society in 1896. Was one of the organizers of the Homan Lumber Co. and the Samish Oyster Co. Member of the Cougar Club. In 1898 he was married to Miss Mabel Studevant Byrne. Residence: 1106 Garden St. Business address: 18 Fischer Blk., Bellingham.

From "Sketches of Washingtonians", by Wellington C. Wolfe, 1906.  Copied by Susan Nahas.

blue line


Patrick Donovan and Julia 0'Sullivan were both born in Ireland and came to America when young. They settled in New Hampshire, where they were married and spent their lives in useful activity. Mr. Donovan was foreman on a railroad in New Hampshire and lived to the age of seventy-three years, while his wife died when forty-two. Of their children, Daniel P. is with the Northwestern Life Insurance Company at Boston, while the daughters, Kate E., Margaret and Julia, are living in the New England states.

John Joseph Donovan was born to these parents at Rumney, New Hampshire, September 8, 1858. He enjoyed an elementary training in the common schools of the state and in 1877 graduated from the State Normal School, after which he taught in the public schools of New Hampshire and Massachusetts. But the latter occupation was only a means to an end, and we soon find him a student in the polytechnic school at Worcester, Massachusetts, where he graduated in the civil engineering department in 1882, valedictorian of a class of thirty-one. In July of the same year he came west and obtained employment with the Northern Pacific Railroad, construction work on which was then going on in Montana. His advancement was rapid; he began as a rodman, then leveler, and in six months was made assistant engineer. J. Q. Barlow, a classmate of Mr. Donovan, was assistant engineer in charge of adjacent work. In September, 1883, occurred the notable event of the connection of the main line of the Northern Pacific at Gold Creek, Montana, and in order to be present at the celebration of the driving of the golden spike, Mr. Donovan rode nearly all night. Henry Villard, the president of the Northern Pacific, had gathered a number of prominent men to witness this event, among them being General Grant and William M. Evarts, besides a number of Indian chiefs and several companies of soldiers, altogether a party which filled' five long Pullman trains. After the completion of the celebration the trains moved on to Puget Sound, crossing the Snake River on ferry boats at Ainsworth, thence to Portland and around to Tacoma on the line as it now exists. Two months later, having completed the construction work on a number of truss bridges, Mr. Donovan came to Washington and began work on the Cascade division of the Northern Pacific, at a point fifteen miles east of the town of Prosser, whose founder was Colonel Prosser, on the Yakima river. He was at work on this division as engineer of track and bridges, locating engineer and engineer-in-charge, until July, 1887. During this time he was also engineer on the Cascade tunnel, and was the engineer in charge of the Cascade division west when, on June i, 1887, the final connection of the Northern Pacific switchback across the mountains was made, by which it was no longer necessary to send trains around by the way of Portland. The month following this important work betook the first vacation he had allowed himself since his graduation, making a trip to-Alaska and then to New England. About this time the Northern Pacific was building a large number of branch lines to the various mining camps of Montana, and in September, 1887, he was given charge of these lines, which were completed in the spring of the following year.

Mr. Donovan then returned east to get his life-companion, and on his return to headquarters at Helena, Montana, was offered a position as chief engineer of several enterprises centering on Bellingham Bay in Washington, upon which he severed his connections with the Northern Pacific Railroad and has since been identified with Bellingham Bay. Up to this time he had his residence in Tacoma, but in December, 1888, he brought his wife to the incipient village of Fairhaven and built a house in what was then almost a wilderness. There was no store of any description or a graded street, and for the commonest necessity they had to take a rowboat for Whatcom, the connecting road through the forest, where Front street now runs, being almost impassable. The companies for which Mr. Donovan was engineer set to work with a vim to develop this new town, building a railroad, opening a coal mine on Skagit river, platting the townsite, constructing wharves and pushing forward other necessary enterprises. Fairhaven was organized as a city in 1890, Mr. Donovan being a member of the first and second city councils; as chairman of the sewerage committee he called in Benezette Williams, the sanitary expert of Chicago, to plan the sewer system. Mr. Donovan was the chief engineer for the Fairhaven Land Company, for the Skagit Coal & Transportation Company, and for the Fairhaven & Southern Railroad. In 1890 the Fairhaven & Southern Railroad made plans for a line from Vancouver, British Columbia, to Portland, Oregon, and east .to Spokane, and when eighty miles were complete and in operation and the rest surveyed, J. J. Hill purchased the road for the Great Northern. Mr. Donovan then retired from this enterprise, and after a short trip to the Atlantic coast returned to act as engineer for the tide land appraisers and for two new companies formed by Montana capital in 1891, the Blue Canyon Coal Mining Company and the Bellingham Bay & Eastern Railroad Company, the latter company gradually extending its lines until they reached from Fairhaven, through Whatcom, Lake Whatcom, and thence to Wickersham, where it connected with the Northern Pacific Railway, and in 1902 it was purchased by the last named company. In 1898 Mr. Donovan was made general superintendent and chief engineer of the Bellingham Bay & British Columbia Railroad, and immediately began surveys for the extension of the road eastward; it now has forty miles in operation, fifteen under construction, and nearly three hundred miles under survey. The district about Bellingham Bay is being rapidly developed, and companies under Mr. Donovan's direction are prospecting for coal and other minerals, and also developing a great water power. In addition to these varied and important interests, Mr. Donovan is vice president of the Lake Whatcom Logging Company and the Larson Lumber Company, and is an officer in the Fairhaven Water Company, the Copper River Oil & Mining Company, and the Bellingham Bay Transportation Company.

Mr. Donovan is not connected with any secret organizations, but is a member of the American Society of Engineers and the Montana Society of Engineers; also of the Cougar Club, the Fairhaven Commercial Club, and is president of the Whatcom Commercial Club. He has been actively interested in hospital work, and was on the building committee of the new St. Joseph's Hospital on Elk street. He has been a resident of Whatcom since 1900, and his home is on Garden Street. In 1888 he was married to Miss Clara I. Nichols, of Melrose, Massachusetts, and a daughter of J. S. and Elizabeth Nichols, of Haverhill, New Hampshire. Their three children are Helen, aged thirteen; Jack, aged eleven, and Phil, aged nine. Mr. Donovan votes with the Republican Party, and is a member of the Catholic Church.

From "A History of the Puget Sound Company" by William F. Prosser, Lewis Publishing 1903, pages 288 - 292; copied by Matt Aamott.

blue line


Secretary Fairhaven Land Co.; born in Maine, Dec. 14, 1854; son of David W. and Caroline A. (Garland) Edwards; educated in the public schools and in Pittsfield Seminary. He then removed to Calaveras county, Cal., and was in the employ of a stage company for seven years, after which he went to San Francisco where he took a couse in a business college. In 1878 he went to Amador Co. where he engaged in mining for two years, after which he was stage driver on the Amador county route until 1881. He then engaged in freighting until 1884 when he removed to Fairhaven and conducted the Bellingham Bay hotel for a year and a half. He returned to California and was identified with the Plymouth Consolidated Gold Mining Co. until 1891 when he came to Fairhaven and engaged in the hotel business for a short time, and was subsequently appointed a member of the police force, and in 1894 was elected marshal, serving 4 years. In 1900 he became identified with the Fairhaven Land Co. and the Bellingham Bay Land Co., and is secretary of both companies. Is a member of the Masonic Fraternity and the A.O.U.W. Married in 1881 to Miss Louisa E. Leger. Residence: 443 14th St. Business address: 604 Harris Ave., Bellingham.

From "Sketches of Washingtonians", by Wellington C. Wolfe, 1906.  Copied by Susan Nahas.

blue line


Postmaster of Bellingham; born in Whatcom, Wash., Dec. 14, 1860; son of Edward and Theresa (Lappin) Eldridge; educated in the public schools, the university conducted by Rev. Whiteworth, now the University of Washington, and the San Francisco Business College. He was elected to the office of county auditor of Whatcom Co. in 1886 and reelected in 1888. He was one of the organizers of the Fairhaven and New Whatcom street railroad system, and served as president of the road from 1893 until 1896. In July, 1898, he was appointed postmaster of Whatcom by President McKinley, which position he held until the consolidation of Whatcom and Fairhaven, and is now postmaster of Bellingham. He is also vice president of the R. L. Kline Investment Co., and is a member of the Knights of Pythias, Eagles and Redmen. Married in 1893 to Miss Delisca J. Bowers. Residence: Eldridge Ave. Business address: Postoffice, Bellingham.

From "Sketches of Washingtonians", by Wellington C. Wolfe, 1906.  Copied by Susan Nahas.


Among the surviving pioneers of the Custer neighborhood in Whatcom county there are few who have a wider acquaintance than B. W. Everett, one of the original settlers in that neighborhood and for many years one of the foremost figures in the development of its general social, civic and agricultural conditions. When Mr. Everett took possession of his place just west of the village of Custer more than forty years ago, that region was wildwood and he had to clear his quarter section. The township had not then been organized and when the time came to establish there a separate civic entity he took an influential part in that movement and was elected a member of the first board of township supervisors. He also helped to organize the first school district in the township and for many years rendered effective wire as a member of the school board. When the roads were being "viewed" he was one of the chief personal factors in securing the establishment of the route of the Pacific highway through that section. In other ways he has done well his part in securing civic progress and his name has become an inseparable part of the annals of that flourishing neighborhood.

Mr. Everett is a Missourian by birth and is a member of one of the real pioneer families of that state, his grandfather having been among the original land entrants in Clinton County in the northwestern part of the state. Mr. Everett was born on a farm in Clinton County, March 15, 1855, and is a son of Johnson and Anna (Hankins) Everett, the latter a native of Ohio whose parents had become pioneers in Missouri, where she married. Johnson Everett was horn in Clinton County in 1822, a son of one of the original settlers there, the Everett's having been among those who took up government land in that county. He was reared to farming and in due time became a substantial farmer and landowner there. When gold was discovered in California he came to the coast, going overland in 1850 and remaining there until 1852. Johnson Everett, who spent his last days in Missouri, was twice married. By his first wife, Anna Hankins, he was the father of eight children and by his second wife was the father of seven children, so that in the present generation his descendants form a quite numerous family connection.

Reared on the home farm, B. W. Everett first attended a log schoolhouse, a relic of the pioneer days which was destroyed by fire while that first term of his was in progress. The new and better building that was erected to take its place was located on his father's farm, so that it was no very great task for him thereafter to attend school and he did well in his studies, becoming one of the most proficient pupils of that school. Mr. Everett remained with his father on the farm until he was nineteen years of age when, in 1874, he and three of his elder brothers took a trip to Colorado, "looking around" in the Colorado Spring- district and worked at common labor. Eighteen months later he returned home and when he had attained his majority he and his next elder brother rented the home place from their father and began farming on their own account. In that year (1876) he married and settled on one of his father's farms and was engaged in farming there until in the spring of 1882 when he closed out his interests in Missouri and with his family came to the coast country, driving a mule team, his objective being Ashland, Oregon, the trip consuming three months and twenty days.

Upon his arrival in Ashland Mr. Everett engaged in teaming, his faithful mules being none the worse for their long trip, freighting from the railhead at Glendale to Ashland for a year or more. He then drove with a four mule team to Cloverdale, California, where he became employed as a carpenter and also developed a profitable little chicken ranch. Three years later he "pulled up stakes" there and went to San Francisco, thence by boat to Seattle, on to Whatcom and with the mail carrier, to Ferndale. That was in the fall of 1885 and ever since, a period of more than forty years, Mr. Everett has been a useful resident of this county. His brother, J. T. Everett, had located in the Custer neighborhood in the spring of 1884 and it was on the latter's representations that good land was obtainable here that B. W. Everett came into the country, a choice of location he never has had occasion to regret. He bought the homestead rights to the quarter section on which he is now living, and settled down to clear and improve the place, on which at that time there was but the homesteader's log cabin and a bit of clearing surrounding it. In the next year he built the house in which he now resides and with alterations and additions as growing needs required this house has ever since been his dwelling place. Some time ago Mr. Everett sold half of his quarter section to his brother and now has eighty acres, ample for his dairying operations. He is a member of the Whatcom County Dairy Association, has a good dairy herd and is doing well.

It was on October 19, 1876, in Clinton County, Missouri, that Mr. Everett was united in marriage to Miss Mary H. Irvine and they are now preparing to celebrate their golden wedding an event to which their hosts of friends throughout the county will bring their most earnest congratulations and felicitations. Mrs. Everett was born and reared in Buchanan County, Missouri. Her parents, Hugh W. and Mary C. (Wise) Irvine, were Virginians, both members of old colonial families in the Old Dominion, and they eloped to Maryland to be married, later settling in northwestern Missouri, where H. W. Irvine became an extensive planter, carrying on operations on a large scale in Saline county. He was one of the California '49ers and was for two years engaged in prospecting for gold in the "diggings," but in 1851 returned to Missouri and there both he and his wife spent their last days. They were the parents of eleven children, of whom nine grew to maturity. To Mr. and Mrs. Everett five children have been born, namely: Ina Edith, who died when fifteen months old; Lora Maude, who married W. S. Shumway, now living at Omak, Washington, and has seven children; Ira Fletcher, who married Nettie Wright and is now living in Portland; Lester H., of Pateros, Washington, who married Estelle McClure and has two children; and Guy E., of Omak, Washington, who married Fannie Webb, and has one child.

From "History of Whatcom County" by Lottie Roth. Pioneer Historical Publishing 1926, pages 409-410; copied by Matt Aamott.  
The Everett farm in Custer is now owned by my parents. We are interested in contacting any descendants or relatives of Benjamin and Mary. Send email to or call (360) 366-9949.


Lumberman and realty investments; born Providence, R. I., March 16, 1867; son of Albert A. and Phoebe (Greene) Gamwell; educated in Williston Seminary, Easthampton, Mass., and at Black Hall, Connecticut. He began his business career in the dry goods business in Cincinnati, Ohio, and in 1889 removed to Washington, locating in Fairhaven, and engaged in the lumber business. In 1902 he accepted the position of general superintendent of the Western Alaska Construction Co. in Nome and subsequently took charge of the plant of the H. L. Jenkins Lumber Co. in Blaine, and later represented that company in Seattle. He established in the lumber brokerage business in 1905, and in June, 1906, entered into partnership with Philip Wheeler under the firm name of Gamwell & Wheeler. This firm is supplying a large part of the lumber used on the Pacific Coast by the government and sent the first consignment of lumber for canal construction to the Isthmus of Panama. Mr. Gamwell is president of the Great Western Manufacturing Co., president of the Western Pacific Lumber Co., and member of the real estate firm of Goldie & Co. Member of the Elks, K. of P. and A.O.U.W. Married in 1894 to Miss Mabel McClellan. Residence: 15 West Prospect St. Business address: 628-633 Pioneer Bldg., Seattle.

From "Sketches of Washingtonians", by Wellington C. Wolfe, 1906.  Copied by Susan Nahas.

blue line


President and general manager Fairhaven City Water & Power Co.; born in Oberlin, Ohio, Oct. 23, 1840; son of Robert E. and Lucy (Kellogg) Gillette; educated in the public schools of Cleveland, Ohio and the Cleveland Institute. Began his business career in the employ of the Milwaukee & La Crosse Railroad Co. at Tomah, Wisconsin. Served in the Union army as a member of Company I, 4th Wisconsin Volunteer Infantry. After the war he was agent for the Merchants Union Express Co. at Sparta, Wis. for a year, and in 1867 removed to Waverly, Iowa, where he engaged in the hardware business until 1874, when he went to Texas and was engaged in ranching and sheep raising until 1880, when he went to Salt Lake City and spent three years in mining, prospecting and assaying. In 1893 he went to Ketchum, Idaho, and engaged in the hardware business until 1889. He then removed to Fairhaven and was one of the organizers of the Fairhaven Electric Light Co. and of the Fairhaven Water Co., and is now president and general manager of the Fairhaven City Water & Power Co. He is a member of the Masonic Fraternity, Loyal Legion and G. A. R. Married in 1864 to Miss Letitia Powers. Residence: 1614 Larrabee Ave. Business address: 12 McKenzie Ave., Bellingham.

From "Sketches of Washingtonians", by Wellington C. Wolfe, 1906.  Copied by Susan Nahas.

blue line


Alonzo M. Hadley, one of the leading representatives of the legal fraternity in Whatcom, Washington, and an absolute authority upon all matters pertaining to his profession, was born October 4, 1867, at Sylvania, Indiana, a son of Jonathan and Martha (McCoy) Hadley, the former of whom was a farmer of Sylvania and died in 1892, and the latter was a native of southern Indiana, of Scotch-Irish descent, now residing at Bloomingdale, Indiana.

Alonzo M. Hadley has two brothers, Hiram E. Hadley, of the supreme bench of the state of Washington; Lin H. Hadley, member of the law firm of Dorr & Hadley, of Whatcom, the other members being C. W. Dorr and A. M. Hadley. The latter was educated in the public schools, the Blooming-dale Academy and Earlham College. Two years intervened between his completion of the public school course and his entering the academy, which he employed teaching in the public schools of Indiana. Leaving the academy is 1887, he again taught school for one year, when he entered college at Richmond, Indiana, remaining two years. For one year more he taught school, and then commenced his legal studies in the law office of Elwood Hunt of Rockville, Indiana, being admitted to the bar in 1891 at that place. In September of that same year Mr. Hadley formed a partnership with Elwood Hunt, and continued the connection until June, 1894, when he withdrew, and went to Indianapolis and practiced until October, 1898. In November, 1898, Mr. Hadley removed to Whatcom, and entered the firm of Dorr & Hadley, which is one of the leading firms in the city, and is attorney for the largest corporation in the northwest of Washington.

Mr. Hadley has always been a Republican and has taken an active part in politics in Whatcom, as well as in other localities. In 1896 he was a candidate for the secretaryship of the state central committee of Indiana and was allied with the Harrison constituency, and was defeated by one vote. Upon numerous occasions he has been called upon to attend both county and state conventions in Indiana, and county conventions in Whatcom. .

June 12, 1901, Mr. Hadley was married to Edna Beebe, a daughter of Almon M. Beebe, of Kankakee, Illinois, a retired farmer. She was born at Kankakee, and hers is an old American family of English descent. Mr. Hadley was born into membership in the Friends' Society, and has never withdrawn his name, while his wife is a Presbyterian. Fraternally Mr. Hadley is a blue lodge Mason. Mr. Hadley is one of the best posted men in his profession to be found in the entire state, and he is recognized as one of its most logical and successful attorneys.

From "A History of the Puget Sound Country" by Col. William F. Prosser, Lewis Publishing 1903, pages 297-298; copied by Matt Aamott.

blue line


Oculist and aurist; born in Maine, Oct. 13, 1839; son of Timothy and Catherine G. (Willard) Holt; educated in public schools of Maine and the Maine Wesleyan Seminary and subsequently attended the lectures in the medical department of Bowdin College at Brunswick, Me. He then entered Berkshire Medical College at Pittsfield, Mass., from where he graduated in 1864, and began the practice of medicine at Poland, Me., and later practiced in Gray, Me., for two years. He then engaged in the drug business at Portland, Me., for five years, after which he resumed the practice of his profession in that city and continued there for nine years. In 1889 he removed to Los Gatos, Cal., and in March 1891, went to Whatcom, where he has since resided and is a specialist in diseases of the eye and ear. Member of the Masonic Fraternity. Married in 1865 to Miss Charlotte L. Small. Residence: 309 Lake St. Business address: 1-2 Fischer Blk., Bellingham.

From "Sketches of Washingtonians", by Wellington C. Wolfe, 1906.  Copied by Susan Nahas.

blue line


President and general manager Bellingham Bay Improvement Co.; born in New Orleans, La., Feb. 22, 1874; son of Akin D. and Olive (Walker) Hyatt; came to Whatcom county with his father at the age of nine years. He received his education in the Northwest College at Lynden and began his business career as clerk in a general store, where he was employed for two years, and in 1890 secured a clerical position in the office of the County Auditor. From 1893 until 1896 he was confidential secretary of the Eldridge estate; from 1896 until 1900 he was accountant for the street railway company of Whatcom and Fairhaven and in 1900 became land agent of the Bellingham Bay Improvement Co. and is now its president and general manager. He is a member of the B.P.O.E. and the Cougar Club. Residence: Hotel Baker. Business address: Sunset Blk., Bellingham.

From "Sketches of Washingtonians", by Wellington C. Wolfe, 1906.  Copied by Susan Nahas.

blue line


Among the state officers of Washington is numbered Tunis R. Kershaw, one of the prominent citizens of Whatcom, who is now serving as fish commissioner. He has long figured actively in political interests of the northwest, and the Republican Party finds in him a stalwart supporter whose efforts in its behalf have been effective and far-reaching. In the discharge of his duties he shows that he has the best interests of the state at heart, and has done not a little for the promotion of what is fast becoming one of the most important industries of this section of the country.

Almost the width of the continent separates Mr. Kershaw from his birthplace, for he is a native of Genesee County, New York, his natal day being February 26, 1853. His parents were George S. and Susan (Van Ness) Kershaw, who were also natives of the Empire state, and there passed away, the father in 1886 and the mother in 1889. Their children are: Peter F., a farmer of Missouri; Carrie E., who is employed in the United States treasury department in Washington, D. C.; Sarah, the widow of George Weyman, of Sycamore, Illinois; and Tunis R.

The last named acquired his preliminary education in the public schools of Rochelle, Illinois, and later attended Blackburn University at Carlinville, that state, being graduated in that institution in 1872, with the degree of Bachelor of Arts. He then took up the study of law in Rochelle, in the office of P. J. Carter, and was admitted to the bar at Ottawa, Illinois, in June, 1874. He then began practice in Rochelle, and the following year was elected city attorney.

In the spring of 1876, however, Mr. Kershaw went to Dakota, locating at Rockport, where he remained until 1877, when he removed to Sioux Falls, South Dakota, being there engaged in the practice of his chosen profession until 1882, and during the greater part of that time was a partner of ex-Senator Pettigrew. On the expiration of that period Mr. Kershaw removed to North Dakota and laid out the town of Carrington. When the capital was removed to Bismarck he took up his abode in that place, but in January, 1884, came to Washington, settling at Seattle, where he was engaged in the abstract business until after the disastrous fire which swept over that city in 1889. Mr. Kershaw then came to Whatcom and once more resumed the practice of law. He has since made his home here and was also engaged in the real estate business with Hugh Eldridge from 1898 until 1902, when he was appointed state fish commissioner .by Governor McBride, entering upon the duties of the office in March, 1902, for a term of four years. His appointment came in recognition of his faithful service in behalf of the party and of the great fishing industries of Whatcom. As fish commissioner he has already done effective work and is putting forth every effort in his power to preserve and propagate food fish and to enlarge the industry, which is already a source of much income to Washington. He is now giving special attention to the building up of the oyster business. Since Mr. Kershaw assumed the duties of fish commissioner he has been very persistent in establishing a hatchery on the Frazer River in British Columbia for the purpose of propagating sockeye fish. There being no streams in the state of Washington that the sockeye fish ascend for propagating, and this being the best variety of fish, he deems it essential to the perpetuating of the industry on Puget Sound that there should be a good system of hatcheries established on the Frazer river.

In politics Mr. Kershaw has ever been an active Republican, with firm faith in the principles of the party and in their ultimate triumph. He attended every state convention of his party in Dakota during his residence there, and has also been a delegate to the county and state conventions in Washington, his opinions carrying weight in the party councils.

On the 30th of April, 1899, Mr. Kershaw wedded Miss Mattie Bowen, a daughter of Hiram Bowen, who was the original editor and founder of the Milwaukee Sentinel and who afterward conducted the Janesville Gazette, of Janesville, Wisconsin. In 1885 he retired from the journalistic field and established a large stock farm in South Dakota. Mrs. Kershaw is also a sister of W. S. Bowen, the editor of the Sioux Falls Press, a paper established by Senator Pettigrew, who sold out to the present proprietor. Mr. and Mrs. Kershaw had one child that died in infancy. They now have an adopted daughter, Bessie Colburn, a niece of Mrs. Kershaw and now a student in Pratt's Art Institute of Brooklyn, New York. Their friends in Whatcom are many, and Mr. Kershaw is well known throughout the state, especially in political circles. His genial manner, unfailing courtesy, and stalwart advocacy of whatever cause he espouses have gained for him the admiration and regard of all with whom he has been brought in contact.

From "A History of the Puget Sound Country" by Col. William F. Prosser, Lewis Publishing 1903, pages 315-317; copied by Matt Aamott.

blue line


Calvin T. Likins, a successful real estate dealer and leading citizen of Whatcom, Washington, was born November 3, 1854, at Newton, Iowa, and is a son of Leonard E. and Elizabeth (Hammack) Likins. The father was a native of Virginia, and on the maternal side descended from the Carters, who located in America about 1650, from England. On the paternal side Leonard Likins came of Revolutionary stock, and his father was a soldier in the war of 1812. Leonard had two brothers who were killed in the Civil war, while he died in 1885, being murdered in the office of the Keystone Consolidated Mining Company, of Amador City, California, where he had been employed ten years. Although there was $65,000 in currency in the safe at the time, it was not secured, but Mr. Likins saved it by giving up his life. The mother was a native of Tennessee, and traces her ancestry back to Revolutionary heroes. She is still living, making her home in Whatcom, Washington. Mrs. Likins had two brothers, both of whom were killed during the Civil war. There were five children in the family born to Mr. and Mrs. Leonard Likins, namely: John L., a contractor and deputy sheriff in Whatcom; William E., a contractor of the same city; Sarah A., wife of John Armstrong, a hotel man of Greenwood, British Columbia; May, widow of William Eaton of Spokane, Washington, who died in 1900, leaving her the Redpath Hotel in that city, which she still owns.

Calvin R. Likins was educated in the public schools of Iowa, and in 1870 he went to southeastern Kansas (Montgomery County) and completed his course, being graduated from the University of Kansas, at Lawrence, in 1876, with the degree of B. A. Later he took up the study of law in San Francisco and was admitted to practice in the territory of Washington in 1887, during the times that Jones was chief justice of the territory. During the time he was in San Francisco he studied under John C. Hall until 1883, when he made a trip to Whatcom, but returned to California to finish his law course. The following year, however, he came once more to Whatcom, and entering- the office of Attorney H. A. Fairchild continued to study law. As soon as he was admitted to practice he opened an office, and for two years was actively engaged in an excellent law business, but, his health failing, he went to California for eighteen months and engaged in dealing in horses. Coming back to Whatcom in 1892, he went to farming and was thus engaged for two years, when, in 1897, he spent one year more in California, returning in 1898 to engage in real estate transactions and conveyancing, under the firm name of Powell & Likins. At the end of two years this partnership was dissolved and a new association formed under the style of Wyatt & Likins, C. A. Wyatt being the other member of the firm. In politics he has always been a Republican, casting his first vote for President Hayes. During his residence in Whatcom he was elected city councilman in 1887, and has served as delegate to county conventions upon many occasions. Among his other interests, Mr. Likins, with George H. Butlers and C. A. Wyatt, holds a franchise for building an electric railway from Whatcom to Lynden, a distance of fifteen miles, which will cost $120,000, and is to be completed within the next eighteen months. He was also instrumental in platting a large portion of Whatcom, and has always lent his aid toward all measures he deemed likely to result in benefit to the city and general public.

On April 20, 1891, he married Dora M. Hansen in Oakland, California. She is a daughter of Nicholas Hansen, a miner of Plymouth, California, who died in 1884. Mrs. Likins was born in Calaveras County, that state, of Danish-Irish parentage. One daughter has been born to Mr. and Mrs. Likins, Corinne, aged four years.

From "A History of the Puget Sound Country" by Col. William F. Prosser, Lewis Publishing 1903, pages 305-306.; copied by Matt Aamott.

blue line


Dr. Lemon R. Markley, a leading physician of Whatcom, Washington, as well as a prominent and influential citizen of that city, was born in Jackson County, Michigan, September 12, 1859, and is a son of Urias and Caroline (Lutz) Markley. The father was born in Lancaster County, Pennsylvania, and was a mechanic. He came of a substantial Pennsylvania family, of German descent, and died in 1901, a highly respected gentleman. The mother was born in Pennsylvania, also coming of German descent, and is now living at Juniata, Nebraska. Three children were born to Mr. and Mrs. Markley, namely: Dr. Markley; Lennie, who married Thomas Saddler, a farmer and grower of fancy stock at Juniata, Nebraska; and Melvin, a dentist of Juniata, Nebraska.

Dr. Lemon R. Markley was an attendant at the public schools in northern Indiana, later went to Omaha and attended the medical department of the University of Omaha, which has since then become affiliated with the state university. Prom this institution he was graduated in 1883 with the degree of M. D. Until 1890 he remained in active practice in Nebraska, but at that date he removed to Whatcom and laid the foundations of his present large practice. In 1896 and 1902 he took post-graduate courses at the University of California at San Francisco, and was made acting assistant surgeon in Marine Hospital Service, port of Whatcom, his commission being signed by Secretary Shaw, January 12, 1900. While residing in Nebraska he was United States pension examiner for the western district of Nebraska, and was county physician and county coroner of Kimball County, Nebraska, from 1886 to 1890. During his early residence in Whatcom he was acting county physician for several years, and has always been considered a very able physician.

On August 20, 1884, Dr. Markley married Mary J. LeFevre, a daughter of J. R. LeFevre, a farmer of Juniata, Nebraska, who comes of an American family of French descent. Two children have been born of this marriage, namely: Nina, sixteen years of age; Alton, six years of age. Fraternally, Dr. Markley is a member of the Knights of Pythias, Royal Arcanum and the Junior Order of United American Mechanics. In addition to his other interests, Dr. Markley is the examiner for eight or ten of the best insurance companies of Whatcom. Dr. Markley is the first physician in the city to do thorough microscopic work, and he is recognized as a representative of the best interests of the county as well as a physician of skill who commands the entire confidence of the community and enjoys a very large practice.

From "A History of the Puget Sound Country" by Col. William F. Prosser, Lewis Publishing 1903, pages 308-309; copied by Matt Aamott.

blue line


Educator; born Fulton, Mich., Aug. 9, 1866; son of Barnard and Angeline (Fritz) Mathes; educated in the public schools of his native town, Heidelberg University, Tiffin, Ohio and Bellevue College, Omaha, Neb., where the Ph. D. degree was conferred upon him. He was principal of schools in Kansas towns for five years; associate president of Wichita University for one year; professor of history and civics in Idaho State Normal School at Lewiston, for three and one-half years and principal of the State Normal School at Bellingham since its organization seven years ago. He has done a great amount of lecturing before public and popular audiences, some 400 in all and he also conducted teachers institutes in many state for the past fifteen years. Was a member of charter commission when Bellingham was made a first class city and adopted a new charter. Is treasurer and trustee in the Bellingham Realty Co., elder in the Presbyterian church and a member of the M. E. A. Residence: 529 High St. Business address: Bellingham State Normal School, Bellingham.

From "Sketches of Washingtonians", by Wellington C. Wolfe, 1906.  Copied by Susan Nahas.

blue line


Manager of the Globe Clothing Co.; born in Michigan, March 10, 1872; son of Murdock and Mary (Holmes) McCush. Educated in the public schools of Otsego Lake, Mich. Began his business career at the age of  fifteen as clerk in a general store where he was employed for three years. He came to Washington in 1891, locating in Whatcom, where he was employed in a mercantile house for ten years. In 1901 he established the Globe Clothing Co., of which he is manager. He is a member of the Odd Fellows, Modern Woodmen and the Masonic Fraternity. Married in 1900 to Miss Eva A. Thomas. Residence: 306 Potter Street. Business address: 106 East Holly St., Bellingham.

From "Sketches of Washingtonians", by Wellington C. Wolfe, 1906.  Copied by Susan Nahas.

blue line


When Whatcom was a little village containing only a permanent population of five hundred Emery McGinnis came to this section of the state, and through the past twenty years his efforts have been directed into channels through which flow the greatest good to the greatest number and at the same time have advanced his individual prosperity. He is now a real estate and insurance agent of Whatcom, and the recognized leader in the latter department of business in the city.

It was on the 23d of June, 1858, in Owen county, Indiana, that Emery McGinnis was born, a son of Elisha R. and Rhoda (Cummings) McGinnis, both of whom were natives of Indiana and represented old American families, The father was a farmer by occupation, and followed that pursuit in support of his family until called to his final rest in 1894. His widow still survives him and is yet living in her native state. In the family were two sons and five daughters who are yet living, the brother of our subject being Elisha, who carries on agricultural pursuits in the Hoosier state.

In the public schools near his boyhood home, Emery McGinnis mastered the branches of learning usually taught in such institutions, and later he entered the University of Michigan, in which he was graduated in the class of 1881, with the degree of Bachelor of Laws. He remained at home through the two succeeding years and then came to Whatcom, Washington, in 1883. This was but a small place at the time, containing not more than five hundred permanent inhabitants, and the country round about was but sparsely settled. Mr. McGinnis secured a homestead claim upon which he lived until the fall of 1889, devoting his energies to agricultural pursuits with fair success. He then went to Fairhaven, this state, where he turned his attention to the real estate and insurance business, continuing his operations there until February, 1893, when he took up his abode in Whatcom, where he has since made his home. Here he has conducted a similar business, and has handled considerable property. He has also written much insurance, in fact, is regarded as the leading representative of this business here, and is agent for a number of the old and reliable companies, including the New York Life, the '-North British Mercantile Company, the Royal of Liverpool, the St. Paul Fire & Marine and the Fidelity & Casualty of New York.

Mr. McGinnis exercises his right of franchise in support of the men and measures of the Republican Party. He served as road supervisor in Whatcom County for six years,-from 1884 until 1890, and assisted materially in opening up good roads. During the same time he was a member of the school board, and was instrumental in the building of' the first, schoolhouse in the Rome precinct. He served as deputy United States marshal under President Cleveland during- the second administration, and was chairman of the Democratic county central committee from 1886 until 1891 inclusive. He also attended many county and state conventions, and was the candidate for representative to the constitutional convention in 1889 on the Democratic ticket, but was defeated by eleven votes. In matters of citizenship, however, he is ever loyal and progressive and endorses every measure which he believes will contribute to the public good.

In Indiana, September 21, 1880, was celebrated the marriage of Mr. McGinnis and Miss Maggie Belle Smith, a native of that state and a daughter of Noah Smith, who was of German descent, although the family was established on American soil at an early day in the history of this country. Three sons have been born to our subject and his wife: Sanford Everett, nineteen years of age; John, aged twelve; and Frank, aged ten. There are also two daughters, Myrtle L. and Bessie. Mr. McGinnis is a popular and esteemed member of various social organizations, including- the Knights of Pythias fraternity, the Woodmen and the Knights of the Golden Eagle. Coming to this section of the country in pioneer times, he has watched with interest its development and has proved a worthy citizen because he has labored effectively and unselfishly for the welfare of his adopted city and state.

From "A History of the Puget Sound Country" by Col. William F. Prosser. Lewis Publishing 1903, pages 301-302; copied by Matt Aamott.

blue line


Treasurer Fairhaven City Water & Power Co.; born Freeport, Ill., August 4, 1858; son of Christian and Dorothy (Oberdieck) Miller. He received his elementary education in public schools and graduated from the Freeport High School in 1872, and he subsequently learned telegeraphy and in April, 1874, secured the position of night telegraph operator at Morrison, Ill. He was transfered from one station to another until 1879 when he was promoted to the position of train dispatcher in Chicago where he was located until 1885 when he was transfered to the Santa Fe and was stationed in New Mexico and Arizona until 1893 when he entered the service of the Rock Island in Indian Territory, remaining until 1899. He then removed to Fairhaven and established the Fairhaven "Times" and after nearly a year sold his interest in the paper and secured a position as chief clerk in the U. S. Census department of 1900. He subsequently purchased an interest in the business of J. L. Easton, agent for the California Powder Works and also engaged in the real estate and insurance business, and was associated with him for several years. He is now treasurer of the Fairhaven City Water & Power Co. Member of the K. of P. and A. O. U. W. Married in 1890 to Miss Christiana Schricker. Residence: 1415 Taylor Ave. Business address: 1200 McKenzie Ave., Bellingham.

 From "Sketches of Washingtonians", by Wellington C. Wolfe, 1906.  Copied by Susan Nahas.

blue line


William L. Miller, a successful real estate dealer and prominent citizen of Whatcom, Washington, was born June 6, 1847, in Berlin, Germany, and is a son of Gottlieb and Henrietta (Baker) Miller, natives of Germany and England respectively. The father came of an old German family, and he was burgomaster and collector of revenue for the district of Piritz in Pomerania, but resigned to come to America and engage in a flour mill business in Wisconsin, where he died in 1891. The mother came of excellent English stock, and she passed away in 1896, having borne her husband four children, namely: William L., who is our subject; Henry, who is a merchant of Gordon, Nebraska; John, who is a merchant of Wenatchee, Washington; Mina, the wife of Ernest Schlip, of Omaha.

The early education of William L. Miller was obtained in Germany, but when he was nine years of age he was brought by his parents to Wisconsin, and he continued his studies in the public schools of Dodge county, that state, being- graduated from the high school of Mayville, Wisconsin, in 1861. When only fifteen years of age he enlisted in the Thirty-sixth Wisconsin Volunteer Infantry and served until the close of the war, being present at the surrender of Lee. Among other engagements he participated in the battle of the Wilderness, Cold Harbor, the siege and surrender of Petersburg, Ream's Station and many others. Upon returning from the war he settled on a farm in Wisconsin, but later removed to Iowa, where for four years he was a farmer and stock dealer, but then sold his interests and removed to Nebraska. In this state he had many interests, conducting a mercantile establishment, a grist mill and a flourishing lumber business. In February, 1883, having great confidence in the future of Whatcom, Washington, he located in that city, when he was one of its twenty residents. Realizing that property was bound to advance in value, he purchased heavily, and embarked in a real estate business which prospered .and which he still continues. At one time he also owned a sawmill in Whatcom, and operated it for six or seven years in connection with his real estate interests. Mr. Miller was one of the incorporators of the Seattle, Whatcom & New Westminster Railroad, better known as the Canfield line, in 1883. He was the first vice-president and superintendent of the company, acquired the right of way, cut the right of way forty miles, and finally sold part of it to J. B. Bennett, of Tacoma, who afterwards transferred it to the Great Northern Railroad, that company taking a portion of it as their right of way. Mr. Miller was also a promoter of the Nooksack River Boom & Logging Company in 1891, and was made its president, the company having a capital stock of fifty thousand dollars. This company was afterwards incorporated with the Bellingham Bay Boom Company. Another organization which owes its life to Mr. Miller is the Whatcom Lumber Company, of which he was incorporator and president, it having a capital stock of twenty-five thousand dollars, and this he sold. He also incorporated the Whatcom Cedar Lumber Company, capital stock of fifty thousand dollars, was its president, but this concern lost its plant by fire and never rebuilt. Mr. Miller started the Whatcom Land Company, which is now doing a flourishing- business with him as its secretary.

In politics Mr. Miller is an intelligent, active and enthusiastic Democrat, and from 1878 until 1882 he was county treasurer of Madison county, Nebraska; in the fall of 1891 he was elected mayor of Whatcom and served most acceptably until 1893, and was again nominated, but was defeated by only nine votes, he running far ahead of his ticket owing to his personal popularity and the clean and satisfactory administration he had given the people. Upon many occasions he has been sent to county and state conventions, and served upon the county central committee. Fraternally he is a member of the Order of Elks and the Grand Army of the Republic, and takes an active part in both organizations, as he does in anything to which he directs his interest.

On March 29, 1866, he was married to Emilie Wolf, and she is a daughter of Frederick Wolf, of Waterloo, Iowa, a member of an old American family of German descent. Five children have been born to Mr. and Mrs. Miller, namely: William F., Gustave A. and Leonard, all in .the real estate business at Whatcom; Nora is the wife of Samuel Thompson, a lumber merchant of Fairhaven; Albert Harrison, who is fourteen years of age, is attending the State Normal School.

From "A History of the Puget Sound Country" by Col. William F. Prosser. Lewis Publishing 1903, pages 302-303; copied by Matt Aamott.

blue line


Dentist; born in Miami county, Ohio, April 1, 1853; son of William and Mary A. E. (O'Neil) Minton; educated in the public and high schools of Covington, Ohio, and in 1884 entered the Vanderbuilt University at Nashville, Tenn., where he received the D. D. S. degree in 1893. Previous to this he had been engaged in the practice of dentistry in Clay county, Texas, as after taking his degree, continued in the practice of his profession there until 1897. He then removed to Washington, locating in Whatcom, where he has since been continuously engaged in the practice of dentistry. Was one of the organizers of the Bellingham Lumber and Shingle Co. Member of the K. of P. and the Masonic Fraternity. Married in 1878 to Miss Hannah E. Butterworth. Residence: 1315 H street. Business address: 10 Fisher Blk., Bellingham.

From "Sketches of Washingtonians", by Wellington C. Wolfe, 1906.  Copied by Susan Nahas.

blue line


Judge Superior Court, Whatcom County; born near Goshen, Ind., January 24, 1862; son of Samuel and Elizabeth (Huntsberger) Neterer. In 1885 he graduated from law department of Northern Indiana Normal School with degree of B. L. In January, 1890, moved to Puget Sound country, finally locating at Whatcom (now Bellingham). In 1898 he served as chairman of the Democratic state convention; commencing in January, 1893, he served as city attorney for Whatcom; June, 1899, appointed trustee by Gov. Rogers of the State Normal School at Whatcom and elected chairman of the board. In March, 1901, was appointed judge Superior Court, and in 1902 was elected without opposition. He is a member of the Masons, B. P. O. E. and I. O. O. F. Married May 25, 1887, to Sarah E. Becker. Residence: 1700 Eldridge Ave. Business address: Bellingham.

From "Sketches of Washingtonians", by Wellington C. Wolfe, 1906.  Copied by Susan Nahas.

blue line


Shingle manufacturer; born in Perry, New York, October 20, 1866; son of James S. and Emerette L. (Cheney) Nobles; educated in the public schools of Pavilion, N. Y., the academy at Leroy, N. Y. and Eastman's Business College at Poughkeepsie, N. Y. He began his business career in the grocery and clothing business and conducted a store in these lines for two years, and in September, 1888, removed to Whatcom and with Daniel Lowery established a clothing store which they conducted until 1891, when he disposed of his interest and purchased an interest in a grocery store, the firm being Wilson & Nobles, which in 1901 became the Wilson-Nobles-Barr Co., of which he is secretary and treasurer and is also secretary and treasurer of the Neher-Ross Co., Inc., shingle manufacturers. He is a member of the Elks, Woodmen of the World and Cougar Club. Married in 1890 to Miss Cornelia A. Heddon. Residence: 425 Garden St. Business address: 120 E. Holly St., Bellingham.

From "Sketches of Washingtonians", by Wellington C. Wolfe, 1906.  Copied by Susan Nahas.

blue line


Lawyer; born in Rockford, Ill., April 4, 1880; son of William and Emily (Chapman) Parrott; educated in the county schools of Winnebago County, Ill. and subsequently attended the normal department of Rockford College. He obtained his professional education in the law office of Frost & McEvoy of Rockford, Ill., and later entered the Northern Illinois College of Law, from where he graduated in 1901 with the L. L. B. degree. He was admitted to the bar in Montana and in January, 1902, removed to Whatcom and formed a law partnership with Samuel D. Slentz, under the firm name of Slentz & Parrott and is now a member of the firm of Parrott & Griswold. Was appointed referee in bankruptcy for the northern district of Washington in March, 1903, for a term of two years. Member of the Fraternal Brotherhood and Woodmen of the World. Residence: 1330 Humboldt St. Business address: 63-64-65 Roehl Blk., Bellingham.

From "Sketches of Washingtonians", by Wellington C. Wolfe, 1906.  Copied by Susan Nahas.

blue line


Banker; born in Canada, 1862; moved to Washington in 1881. President First National Bank of Bellingham. Residence: 2300 Eldridge St. Business address: Bellingham.

From "Sketches of Washingtonians", by Wellington C. Wolfe, 1906.  Copied by Susan Nahas.

blue line


The rapid development and progress of Whatcom, Washington, rest, as a foundation, upon the labors and energy of such men as the Roehl Brothers, who have been prominently identified with the industrial growth and progress of Whatcom, where they are well known as leading business men. They now own considerable property here, and their success has followed, as a logical sequence, their well directed labors. These brothers have always been associated in business, the partnership being one of mutual pleasure and profit.

Charles F. Roehl was born in the province of Brandenburg, Germany, His father, John Casper Roehl, was a representative of an old family of that country. Coming to America, he spent his last days in Texas, where he died in 1896. His wife, who bore the maiden name of Elizabeth Kublanc, was also a member of an old family of the fatherland, and died in the Lone Star state in 1902. In addition to the sons whose names head this review, their children are August, Lottie and Alvina. The son is now a stock-raiser of Texas. Lottie is the wife of Peter Winter, a contractor of Bryan, Texas, and Alvina is the wife of Max Kiesewetter, a barber of Beaumont, Texas.

In his native country Charles F. Roehl attended school until 1873, when he put aside his text-books and began learning- the practical lessons of the school of experience. He remained at home until 1878, and then went to the western part of Texas and was there employed in a store until the fall of 1882, and in 1883 he came to the northwest, settling in Washington. He landed at Belling-ham Bay on the 31st of December, with the intention of going to Tacoma, but was persuaded by Mayor Kalloch, of San Francisco, to go to Whatcom. He remained, however, on Bellingham Bay until 1886 and secured a tract of land from the government. Not relishing the prospect of isolation of this character, as soon as he could leave his farm Mr. Roehl telegraphed his people to send him some money that he had previously saved, and he then purchased a lot on Elk street in Whatcom and built a house in this city. He also sent for his brother, and they entered upon what has proved a very successful business career here.

The Roehl Brothers purchased a stock of goods in San Francisco, and in the summer of 1884 began business here. It was then promised that a railroad would be built through this place to Sumas, and for a period of six or seven months the new town enjoyed great growth, but at the end of that time word was received that the Canadian government would not allow the American line to connect with its road, and this was followed by business depression in Whatcom. The brothers then closed up their business and removed to San Diego, which was then enjoying much prosperity, but its growth was an unnatural one, and the brothers lost the money which they invested there. Returning to Whatcom in 1889, they again went into business here and continued as leading merchants of this place until 1902, when they retired. In the meantime they had made judicious investments in real estate, and they now own some of the best property in the town, and have also built some of the best brick business blocks, from the rental of which they derive a good annual income.

In December, 1889, Charles F. Roehl was united in marriage to Miss Emma Hull, a daughter of Nathan Hull, a fruit grower who lived in the suburbs of Los Angeles, California. He was one of the early settlers of eastern Oregon and died in the Golden state in December, 1894. To Mr. and Mrs. Roehl has been born a son, Willie F., who is now twelve years of age and is attending school.

The history of William F. Roehl differs but little from that of his brother Charles. When Charles came to Whatcom, William remained in Texas until his brother sent for him. In 1886 he went to Vancouver, British Columbia, where he worked for some time, and in 1887 he joined his brother in San Diego, California. In 1889 they began merchandising in Whatcom, and he has since given his attention to the supervision of his real estate investments. The brothers are men of keen foresight and undaunted energy, and although obstacles and difficulties have arisen in their path, they have made these to serve as an impetus for renewed effort, and have worked their way steadily upward to success.

From "A History of the Puget Sound Country" by Col. William F. Prosser. Lewis Publishing 1903, pages 284-285; copied by Matt Aamott.

blue line


Lawyer; born in Fond du Lac, Wisconsin, May 15, 1859; son of Garrett and Martha L. (Harbaugh) Romaine; educated in the public and high schools of Dayton, Wash., and acquired his professional education in the law office of Hon. R. F. Sturdevant of that city. He was admitted to the bar in 1887 and began the practice of his profession in Dayton. He served three years as deputy assessor, seven months as deputy sheriff; was editor and publisher of the "Okanogan Outlook" for six months, and county superintendent of schools for two years. In 1890 he removed to Olympia where he served as assistant secretary in the state senate in 1889-1890, after which he went to Whatcom and engaged in the practice of law, and in 1891 entered into partnership with Major A. S. Cole, and was later associated with F. H. Richards and with Judge I. N. Maxwell. In 1896 he was elected prosecuting attorney of Whatcom county and after serving a term in that capacity, took a trip to Honolulu, and upon his return established a law office in Oakland, where he practiced for nine months, returning to Whatcom in 1900, and in 1901 formed a partnership with Hon. J. R. Crites, with whom he is now associated under the firm name of Crites & Romaine. Member of the Masonic Fraternity and Modern Woodmen. Residence: 2208 Utter St. Business address: 14 Fisher Blk., Bellingham.

From "Sketches of Washingtonians", by Wellington C. Wolfe, 1906.  Copied by Susan Nahas.


Jerome W. Romaine, a leading attorney of Whatcom, Washington, and a prominent politician of Whatcom County, was born May 15, 1859, in Fond du Lac county, Wisconsin. He is a son of Garrett and Martha L. (Harbaugh) Romaine, the former of whom was of Dutch extraction, his ancestors emigrating from Holland, and the latter of German-English-French ancestry. The Romaine family was established in the state of New York in 1679. The father of Jerome W. Romaine was a farmer and stockman in that state until his death, on October 22, 1899. All of his kindred lived in New York or New Jersey. The mother of our subject was a native of Ohio and now resides at Dayton, Washing-ton. Our subject's brothers and sisters are: William B., who has been a farmer at Dayton, is now a resident of .Portland, Oregon; John Henry is a farmer and stock-raiser at Dayton; Frantz S. is a rancher and stockman at Dayton; Freeman C. is engaged in the same business; Charity A. is the wife of Newton James, a farmer of Dayton; and Rachel J. is the wife of Henry James, who is also engaged in farming at Dayton.

Jerome W. Romaine was educated in the public schools of Dayton and graduated at the high school in 1881. His law reading was done with Judge R. F. Sturdevant at Dayton, and he was admitted to the bar in 1887, before Judge Langford, judge of the United States district court. Prior to this, however, in 1882, he went to Big Timber, Montana, near the Yellowstone, and spent seven months on the range as a cowboy. Returning to Dayton, in the spring of 1883 he was appointed deputy assessor three years, and deputy sheriff for seven months, at the same time filling the position of clerk of the city schools. With this practical experience of men and affairs, Mr. Romaine commenced his law practice, and for six months in 1888 officiated as the editor and publisher of the Okanogan Outlook. He encountered many difficulties in this enterprise, but with wonderful ingenuity managed to issue his paper regularly, although at one time it had to be printed on wall paper, exhausting the town's supply of this article. His services on this paper were terminated by his election as county superintendent' of schools, in which position he efficiently served for two years, until 1890.

Mr. Romaine then went to Olympia, where he was made assistant secretary in the state senate during- the first state legislature, in 1889-90, when he returned to Okanogan, closed up his business affairs and removed to Whatcom, where, on July I, 1890, he opened his law office, in 1891 forming a partnership with Major A. S. Cole. When he was appointed secretary of the Whatcom tide land appraisers, he gave his attention to the duties of that office during the existence of the board, which appraised all the tide lands in the county. After dissolving partnership with Major Cole, he became associated with Frank H. Richards, and later with Judge I. N. Maxwell. In the fall of 1896 he was elected prosecuting attorney of Whatcom county. In October, 1898, his health became impaired, and he made a trip to Honolulu, where he remained recuperating for seven months, during which time he was admitted to practice in the supreme court of Hawaii. Returning to the United States, he practiced law for nine months at Oakland, California. In the spring of 1900 he returned to Whatcom, and in August, 1901, he formed a partnership with Judge John R. Crites.

During the past ten years Mr. Romaine has been considerably interested in mining properties, and owns a one-third interest in the Whistler Group mines on Slate creek in Washington, and has other interests here and in the Mt. Baker district. He is one of the stockholders and a promoter of the Bellingham Oyster Company, and is serving as its secretary-an organization which has acquired seven hundred acres on Samish flats, in which have been found a choice variety of oyster. He is also one of the members and an organizer of the Bellingham Lumber & Shingle Company of Fairhaven, which has a paid-in capital of fifty thousand dollars. The capacity of its plant is thirty-five thousand feet of lumber per day, and the company is engaged in building a box factory in connection with it.

Mr. Romaine has been an active and is a very influential member of the Republican Party, and for two years was the secretary of the Republican county convention in Okanogan and its secretary in Whatcom County for four years. In 1902 he was nominated for the state senate in the forty-second district, but was defeated. He has been regular in his attendance at the different state and county conventions, and is regarded by his party as one of its leaders.

On July 21, 1897, Mr. Romaine was married at Whatcom to Marion Alma Cole, daughter of Converse G. Cole, formerly postmaster at Whatcom. Mr. Cole was of English descent, but was born in New Hampshire, his wife being a native of Summerside, Prince Edward Island. Mrs. Romaine died June 3, 1898, leaving an infant daughter, Lecil Alma, born June 1, 1898. Mr. Romaine belongs to the various branches of the Masonic fraternity, and is also a Modern Woodman. His religious connection is with the Episcopal Church.

From "A History of the Puget Sound Country" by Col. William F. Prosser. Lewis Publishing 1903, pages 303-305; copied by Matt Aamott.

blue line


Lawyer; born Isle La Motte, Grand Isle Co., Vermont, November 6, 1853; son of Anson and Ann B. Scott; moved with parents, 1864, to Michigan. Studied law at Charlotte, Mich.; admitted to the bar in 1877, was city attorney there one term. Removed to Washington 1881, locating in 1882 at Pomeroy. Was several times Mayor. Elected to the Supreme Court 1889. Removed to Whatcom (now Bellingham) re-elected, 1892 and became Chief Justice until term expired in 1899. Now practicing law. Republican. Married Eleanor McBrearty, Oct. 23, 1882. Residence: 2701 Eldridge Ave. Business address: 32 Roehl Blk., Bellingham.

From "Sketches of Washingtonians", by Wellington C. Wolfe, 1906.  Copied by Susan Nahas.

blue line


Lawyer; born in Baraboo, Wisconsin, April 3, 1877; son of Samuel and Amelia (Johnson) Slentz; received his elementary education in public school and subsequently attended the Baraboo High School, graduating in 1897. He acquired his professional education in the Northern Illinois College of Law, graduating in 1901 with the L. L. B. degree. He then removed to Whatcom, where he began the practice of his profession in partnership with Henry W. Parrott under the firm name of Slentz & Parrott, and also incorporated the Bay City Furniture Company of Whatcom, of which he was president and Mr. Parrott secretary. He is now associated with T. D. J. Healy under the firm name of Healy & Slentz, and is engaged in a general law practice. Is a member of the Odd Fellows. Residence: 617 Lake St. Business address: 59-60 Roehl Blk., Bellingham.

From "Sketches of Washingtonians", by Wellington C. Wolfe, 1906.  Copied by Susan Nahas.

blue line


Clergyman; born in Ottowa, Ohio, Feb. 22, 1854; son of John and Amanda (Harmon) Sulliger; educated in the high school at Tippecanoe City, Ohio, and the Sturling Medical School at Columbus. In 1898 the D. D. degree was conferred upon him by the Willamette University at Salem, Ore. He is organizer of the Rosarian, trustee University of Puget Sound, Tacoma; designer of the working design of the Epworth League of the Methodist Episcopal Church, and was a member of the board of control at that time. Was presiding elder of the Centralia district for six years, a full term, and is now presiding elder of the Bellingham district and is chaplin of the Second Regiment National Guard of Washington. Address: 718 East Holly St., Bellingham.

From "Sketches of Washingtonians", by Wellington C. Wolfe, 1906.  Copied by Susan Nahas.

blue line


George H. Watrous, who is engaged in an extensive real estate and insurance business at Fairhaven, Washington, and is one of the prominent and substantial citizens of this section, was born January 3, 1862, at Naples, New York. His father was Henry H. Watrous, who was born in Connecticut, of an old colonial family which came to America from England in 1630. In England the name was spelled Waterhouse, but in the western world has been contracted to its present orthography. Henry Watrous was for forty years a merchant at Naples, New York. His wife was Caroline A. Brownell, who was also born and married in Connecticut. The Brownell family is one of the old and honorable ones of that state, dating beyond Revolutionary days. She still resides in Genesee County, New York, but her husband died in 1891. The surviving members of their family, exclusive of our subject, are: Henry A., a farmer in California; Florence, wife of Frank Flansburgh, a farmer of Genesee County, New York; Effie, a resident of Genesee County; and Fannie C., a trained nurse in New York city.

George H. Watrous was educated in the public schools of Naples, New York, and graduated from the high school, concluding his education in 1880. He was then employed for nine years in the Naples post office. In November, 1889, he came to Whatcom County, Washington, and located in the real estate and insurance business at Fairhaven, and continued to successfully conduct it until in December, 1893, he was appointed postmaster by President Cleveland. He filled the office in a capable and popular manner until 1898, and then resumed his former business, in which he handles some of the most valuable property of all kinds in this vicinity, and represents in insurance such companies as the North British and Mercantile, the New York Life and others.

Mr. Watrous has been a prominent member of the Fairhaven Commercial Club, and for two years was its second vice-president. In politics he is a Democrat, and takes a very active interest in the movements of his party, and has been delegate and member of many important committees at various conventions ever since locating in the state. During 1901-2 he was a member of the Whatcom county state central committee, and is in the confidence of the leading men of the party through Washington. He has been honored with a number of city positions, has been a member of the city council, and in 1901 was councilman-at-large.

On August 26, 1885, Mr. Watrous was married to Cara R. Buck, who was born at Naples, New York, and is a daughter of E. W. Buck. One son and two daughters have been born to this marriage, namely: Willis H., Mary F. and Genie J., all students. Fraternally Mr. Watrous is prominent in the order of Knights of Pythias, in which he has held all the offices in the subordinate lodge. Many times he has been in attendance on the Grand Lodge as a delegate, has been keeper of the records of Fairhaven Lodge No. 56, and is also district deputy. Mr. Watrous during the past ten years has become largely interested in mining, and owns promising properties in Mt. Baker district and some rich ones in the Kamloops, British Columbia district.

From "A History of the Puget Sound Country" by Col. William F. Prosser. Lewis Publishing 1903, pages 309-310; copied by Matt Aamott.

blue line


Banker; born in Preston County, Va., (now West Virginia), 1856; moved to Washington in 1897; was a merchant for a number of years and a banker since 1892. Address: Bellingham.

From "Sketches of Washingtonians", by Wellington C. Wolfe, 1906.  Copied by Susan Nahas.

blue line


President of the Hotel Byron Company; born in Toronto, Canada, May 26, 1866; son of Henry and Elizabeth (Shaw) Wright; educated in the public school. Began his business career in 1884 in the employ of the Canadian Pacific Railroad at Winnipeg, and continued in the service of that company for ten years. He then moved to Point Roberts, Washington, and with his brother Frank Wright, organized the Wright Brothers Fishing Company, which business they sold to the Pacific American Fish Company in 1898, and in 1901 purchased controlling interest in the Carlisle Packing Company at Lummi Island. In June, 1902, with M. C. Dickinson, he purchased the interest of Roehl Brothers, proprietors of The Hotel Byron. He is a member of the Cougar Club and the Elks. Married in 1896 to Miss Jean Brown. Residence: 2705 Eldridge Ave. Business address: Hotel Byron, Bellingham.

From "Sketches of Washingtonians", by Wellington C. Wolfe, 1906.  Copied by Susan Nahas.

blue line


Charles A. Wyatt, who is engaged in real estate dealing in Whatcom, was born July 22, 1870, in Talladega, Alabama, and is a son of James I. and Polly (Lackey) Wyatt. The father was born on the Emerald Isle of an old family of Ireland. After coming to America he took up his abode in the south and became interested in the Clifton Iron Works near Talladega, in which city he makes his home. His wife was born in Alabama and is descended from good old Revolutionary stock. Her ancestors have resided in this country for much more than a century. She had a brother who was shot during the Civil war. Mrs. Wyatt passed away in 1872, leaving two sons, the brother of our subject being George W., who is now a mine-owner in Alabama.

Charles A. Wyatt obtained his early education in the public schools of his native state, and when thirteen years of age he went to Texas in the employ of a cattle breeder named W. Lane, for whom he worked four years. .On the expiration of that period he removed to Arizona, where he was engaged in the same business for more than a year. His next place of residence was Los Angeles, California, and in that locality he had charge of the Sentinela ranch for W. L. Vail, with whom he remained until 1889, when he came to Whatcom. Here he secured employment in the sawmill of Hill & Wilbur, setting blocks. At the same time he took up some land, and later purchased the tug Reggie on Lake Whatcom. He ran that until it was destroyed by fire in 1894. Mr. Wyatt then went to the Midwinter Fair in San Francisco and after a short stay in that city proceeded to Los Angeles, where he established a grocery store, conducting it until 1899. In that year he sold out and went to Ontario, California, where he again engaged in the grocery business in partnership with A. C. Grube. He next located at Cripple Creek, Colorado, going there at the time of the big boom, but he could not stand the climate, and removed to Enid, Oklahoma, and afterward to Kansas City, Missouri. When he had spent a few weeks in the latter place he returned to this place and secured a position in the department store' owned by A. Mansfield, with whom he remained for a year. His next connection was with Tom Reed in the grocery business, and he then made a prospecting trip to Mount Baker. Mr. Wyatt established the first saloon at Deming, but after a year disposed of that business and again went to Los Angeles, where he conducted a cigar store until the 15th of March, 1901. He then sold our and purchased a merry-go-round, which he brought to Whatcom. After conducting it for a time he became a real estate operator, forming a partnership with C. T. Likins.

On the 7th of March, 1894, Mr. Wyatt was united in marriage to Miss Maggie L. Brisbin, a daughter of Jeremiah Brisbin, one of the pioneer settlers of Whatcom. She was born in Franklin, Nebraska, and her ancestry has been closely connected with this country for many generations, but was of Irish descent. Her father served throughout the Civil war as a loyal defender of the Union. To Mr. and Mrs. Wyatt has been born a son, Willie Wynn.

In his political views Mr. Wyatt is a Republican and keeps well informed on the issues of the day and takes an active interest in the work of the party. He is now connected with the Whatcom-Lynden Electric Railroad Company, of which he was one of the organizers. This company formed in order to build an electric railroad which will, when completed, be twenty-five miles in length, extending from Whatcom through Lynden to Blaine, and will cost three hundred thousand dollars.

From "A History of the Puget Sound Country" by Col. William F. Prosser. Lewis Publishing 1903, pages 314-315; copied by Matt Aamott.

blue line

Back to Biography Index

Back to Whatcom GenWeb