Wilbur Golden Jubilee

June 22, 1939

Submitted by Marge Womach

(The Golden Jubilee Edition contains more than the biographical items selected herein.)

Page F through H

Farnsworth:  “There is so much one wishes to say about Mr and Mrs E L Farnsworth that it is difficult to choose what shall be put in the limited space of a newspaper. They came to the village about the time it became a municipality, Mr Farnsworth having bought the then  brand new bank of the founders, Dougherty & Putmann. He continued to operate it as a private bank a few years, when he and D K McPherson, pioneer of Sprague and father of J McPherson, converted the bank into the State Bank of Wilbur.  The Farnsworth’s were leaders in cultural and social life from the first until they moved to Olympia about 20 years ago. He was a school director during a serious financial period and piloted the district safely through. He was Lincoln County’s representative in the state legislature in 1909, 1911, 1913, 1915 and 1917.  Mrs Farnsworth was a Sunday school superintendent, Sunday school teacher and choir director in the early days. She it was who started the movement for improving the Wilbur cemetery. Her untiring leadership caused a water system to be installed there and grass and trees planted. Another movement started by Mrs Farnsworth still does credit to the town—the Women’s Civic Improvement Club. It was her inspiration and for several years she was unanimously elected president. The beautiful and substantial bridge on Wilson street over Goose Creek at the west of Civic Park was given to the town by this estimable couple—a monument to their memory for decades to come, combined with splendid service to the town.  Mr Farnsworth has for years been recognized as one of the leading bankers of the state. He retains his stock in the Wilbur State Bank and serves as its vice president. These are but a few of the many splendid achievements of Mr and Mrs Farnsworth. But the personal friendships, and their wholesome influence over the pioneer youths of the community, can not be told. We must mention it because it was so great, so inspiring and so enduring. They have one daughter, Mrs Grace Fisk, a brilliant woman and a world traveler, who did considerable ‘settlement’ work in New York City at one time. She was born in Wilbur in the house that is now occupied by Mr and Mrs Ed Rux.  The family later built the large residence on South Hill that is now known as the McKay Apartments.”

Felder:  B W Felder established the first jewelry store in Wilbur in 1890. He also homesteaded near here. His wife was one of the most brilliant women to have lived in Wilbur. They both died several years ago after a long-time residence at Toppenish. Their son, Herman, who graduated from Wilbur High School, is a prominent business man at Everett.”  (Edit: B W Felder was a stock holder in the Wilbur corporation, Tom Hal Gold Mining company.)

Fletcher:  “Mr and Mrs Harry Fletcher, parents of Clarence Fletcher, local farmer, came to the Sherman region in 1883 and were in the group of ten charter members of the first church organized there. They were factors in the religious and intellectual advancement of that community. They have been dead many years.”  (Edit: The grave of Clarence Fletcher is in the Wilbur Cemetery, born March 29, 1883 and died June 27, 1957. The grave at Sherman Cemetery of Florence Fletcher Johnson shows her date of death as Oct 5, 1900 at age 18 years.) 

Foley: “The stench of smoke had scarcely cleared from the ashes of Spokane Falls when the John W Foley family arrived in Washington, in the fall of 1889. The parents located in Wilbur and the two oldest sons, John and Will, (deceased), farmed near here. One son, Jacob, died in his youth. Another son, Ward, latterly deceased, was one-time mayor of Wilbur and later a prominent citizen of Davenport. Ernest, now employed at the Holmes store, formerly clerked in the Hay store and for the Wilbur Grocery and Hardware.  Walter, now of New York City, was a printer for the Wilbur Register and for many years assistant agent for the Northern Pacific at this place. Walter also was postmaster pro-tem while his brother, Arthur, served in the World War. Their sister, Mabel, deceased, married a pioneer barber, Arthur Walker.  Arthur, or ‘Dude’ as he is better known, now operates a variety store.  John W Foley was an active member of R L McCook Post of the GAR.  His wife devoted herself to her family and to being a good neighbor and friend. They have both been dead many years.”  (Edit: The grave of J W Foley, Civil War veteran, is in the Wilbur Cemetery with a dozen other Foley graves.)

Forrey:  “Miss Edna Forrey, one of our pioneer school teachers, is still a resident of Wilbur. Her mother was Mrs Abigail Forrey, who came from Iowa to Wilbur  in 1880 with her small son and daughter.  They journeyed by rail to San Francisco, by steamer from Frisco to Astoria, and on to Yakima by wagon. At the time of their arrival in Yakima there was no school or church there and the Indians were still a source of worry and fear to the white residents. Miss Forrey’s first teaching experience was in the Egypt district north of Davenport in 1884. She cashed her warrants at Cheney as there was no bank in Davenport, then a village called Cottonwood. Her mother moved to Spokane Falls for a time and Miss Forrey and her brother attended the Methodist Academy. In 1888 she taught the first school in Kellogg, Idaho. In 1891 she returned to Wilbur to teach when W D Burton was principal Her mother homesteaded in the Sherman region and after a few years bought residence property in Wilbur and retired from the farm.  Miss Forrey’s brother, Paul, now a resident of Soap Lake, married Miss Eva Slaten, a member of another pioneer Wilbur family. Edna Forrey has been an active member of the WCTU and served many years as city librarian.”  (Edit: The Wilbur Cemetery shows four Forrey graves, including Edna Forrey’s grave. Her mother, Abigail Jane Forrey was born June 2, 1834 and died in Jan 1923, wife of Sam, with her burial in Wilbur also. Otas Forrey was an older brother to Edna. Edna was age 1 and Otas age 3 on the 1870 census at Center, Decatur Co, Iowa.

Friedlander:  Joseph H Friedlander was mentioned in the letter written by Lieut. Thomas Symons narrating his perilous navigation by barge down the Columbia River in 1881 to Snake River. The letter states that they landed at a small trading post operated near  Whitestone Bluff by J H Friedlander. Mr Friedlander married one of Chief Moses’ tribeswomen, but later divorced her and wed Miss Bertha Wainright, daughter of Mr and Mrs Wm Wainright. He died within a few year after this marriage and left his widow and one daughter, Josephine. Several of his children by his first marriage are now prominent on the Colville reservation. His widow later married Walter Leonard, an accountant. They moved to Walla Walla to educate Josephine and the two boys and one girl of the Leonard union.  Mr Friedlander was the Northern Pacific lieu land agent in Wilbur many years.”  (Edit:  Joseph H Friedlander was born Nov 27, 1855 and died Oct 21, 1899. His burial was in the Wilbur Cemetery.  J H Friedlander played the baritone horn in the Wilbur Brass Band. He had a keen wit, was a good musician, good business man and highly educated.) 

Geib:  “Et Geib came from Luxemburg when he was 25 years old and first took work in shops at Pittsburg, Penn., but within a few months left for Chicago to work for a time in the Dearing manufacturing plant. From there he journeyed to Washington and reached here the year that Washington Territory became a state—fifty years ago. He had only $16 when he reached the Big Bend. He recalls that this region looked like anything else than the promised land and tried even to sell his clothing for money to buy a ticket back to Chicago. But the homesteaders had no cash for other than the most meager necessities and circumstances compelled Mr Geib to remain on the desolate prairies.  His first home, a shack, was so open that he had to put his clothes, even his shoes, under cover in the winter time else they would be under a drift should a snowstorm start in the night, as the blizzards whipped great piles of snow through the large cracks of his house. His hardest winter was that of 1889-90. He had to haul firewood a distance of 20 miles, making his cutting in the Rocky Canyon.  This mad him leave his ranch at four in the morning, so cold that his breath made icicles on his eyelashes. His lunch would freeze solid and when he would reach the shack at night he was often so tired he went to bed with his stomach quite empty, too filled with aches and pains to care much about the gnawing void in his tummy. At the end of his first year he was able to make the first installment on his lieu land. He then rented 240 acres of school land and continued to increase his holdings until he had acquired 3,800 of the most desirable acres in this territory. He estimates his average wheat yield ahs been from 18 to 20 bushels per acre and has sold for the price of 20 cents per bushel up to $3.15 per bushel.  The Rinker & Haus thresher harvested his first crop. His 1935 crop of 1800 acres yielded an average of 45 bushels, the stubble being plowed under to prevent erosion.  Mr Geib has not actively farmed for several years, though he still lives on one of his several farms and has a fine garden, some hogs and chickens. Three of his sons made farmers—Rudolph, Clemmens (deceased) and Albert—and one daughter, Mrs Earl Akers, is a farmer’s wife. The youngest son, Paul, is a pharmacist at Harrington and the youngest daughter is Mrs Hilmer Olson, wife of a mechanic in Idaho. Each child was well educated.  Mr Geib married Miss Mary Falter in 1899, a member of a well-known very early pioneer family of the Cheney region. This couple is well informed on many subjects and both are keenly interested in business and in current events at large.”  (Edit:  Etienne Geib was born in 1863 and died in 1953. His wife Mary was born in 1875 and died in 1954.  Albert Geib was born Oct 31, 1906 and died May 29, 1988. Clemens was born in 1903 and died in 1938. These burials and three others of the Geib surname are located in the Wilbur Cemetery.) 

Gemmil:  William Gemmil took a pre-emption 12 miles southwest of here in 1884 and was a leader of that day. He is well remembered by our older residents.” 

Gibson:  “Mr and Mrs Geo Gibson are both in the list of early-day Lincoln County teachers. George’s parents came to Washington Territory in 1882 and homesteaded near Davenport. George attended the first district school at Davenport in 1884.  Later he made a success of gardening at Crystal Cove.  Mrs Gibson did not teach after her marriage but George taught 27 years while farming. They have lived in Wilbur several years and operate an auto camp here. Their daughters, Mrs J C Altizer and Mrs Paul Bergman, were also teachers; their sons, Steve and Roger, live in Wilbur; Marvin is employed in Spokane; and Miss Laurel is in nurses training at Seattle. Myrtle and Teddy are at home with the parents.” 

Gollaher:   Emery D Gollaher, a native of Indiana, journeyed to California in 1870, thence to Washington in 1889, and to Lincoln County in 1894. In later years of his life he spent much time in reading and study and was recognized as one of the most intelligent men in his community.”  (Wilbur Register: Golden Jubilee) Emary D Gollaher was born in Indiana in 1860, the son of Allen and Eunice (Daggett) Gollaher. His father was a Civil War veteran.  His mother died when he was a young child, and the father came to Washington in 1894. Emary came to Lincoln County first in 1880 in company with Peter Cuddeback. In 1886 he was married to Miss Nettie Harsin. Two children were born, Frankie and Raymond. (details from 1904 History of Big Bend-p. 306)

Gray:  “This is not the story of a homesteader nor of one of our earliest pioneers. He is yet too active to be even thought of as a pioneer, yet he has been a resident of Wilbur for two score years and has been in business for himself for 31 years. We refer to Mayor W P Gray.  In his younger days he was noted for his abilities as a base ball player and his ‘umph’ behind the bat and his ‘punch’ at the plate are well remembered throughout the country. He refused numerous offers to play the game professionally. His first venture into business was in 1908 with a small newsstand and stationery shop in the building now occupied by the Smart Shop.  Throughout the years he has enlarged his stock and extended his services until he now operates the most up-to-date drug store in Lincoln County. Of course, he has had Mrs Gray all of these years to keep him in line.  He served eight years in the state legislature, two years as representative and six years as senator. He remains an ardent Republican and is recognized as a party leader.  He has interested himself in more civic affairs than perhaps any other person in the community.  He has donated liberally of his time and ability to more worthwhile causes than any other person we might think of. Of course, there are those who disagree with him on many things, but everyone must admit that he gets things done when he sets out to do them. Such a man is invaluable in any community. His business ability is recognized in the healthy condition of the town’s finances, and yet during his administration as mayor, there have been many municipal improvements.”  (William P Gray was born in 1878 and died in 1957. Della W Gray was born in 1873 and died in 1957. In addition to this couple, there are another 15 graves of the Gray surname in the Wilbur Cemetery.) 

Greenwood:  Raphael Greenwood was born in Three Rivers, Canada, in 1841. The father’s ancestors were among the earliest settlers of Canada, coming from France. They participated in the earliest wars and were in the country long before the Arcadian exile.  In 1862 Raphael went to Illinois where he farmed until 1893 when he came to Lincoln County. In 1868 he married Miss Celina Raboin. He enlisted in Company L, First Washington volunteers, in 1898. He was discharged from this service and immediately entered the engineer force at Manila and served until 1903, when he was discharged on account of sickness.  Coming back to the Big Bend country when the great depressions swept the entire United States and when a winter of unexpected severity fell upon them, Mr Greenwood had a most trying time, both for himself and his family. However, they were of sturdy stock and faced their hardships cheerfully and overcame them, thus winning their way to the best of success.”  (Edit: Raphael Greenwood was born in 1841 and died in 1928; his wife Celina was born in 1843 and died in 1913; both burials occurred in the Creston Cemetery.)

Grinstead:  Thomas Grinstead was scarcely out of his teens when he came to Wilbur in 1881 and consequently his first claim was a pre-emption which he sold and took a homestead when he became 21. He left his home in Virginia when only 17 years old and worked in Oregon about three years. He died in Wilbur a few years ago. There were a few years that he spent at Bend, Oregon, after he sold his farm here, but he returned and bought the residence at the west end of Main street, known as one of the Harms houses. His widow is now Mrs Thomas White and she still lives in that residence. Mr Grinstead was an elder in the Christian church for many years.”  (Edit:  Thomas O Grinstead was born in 1860 and died in 1934. His wife Nola was born in 1869. Thomas was buried in Wilbur Cemetery.) 

Haden:  Dewire (Wiley) Haden was the first of that family to come to the state of Washington, arriving in 1891. He acquired lieu land about two miles south of here. He also owns property in town and he and his son, Dewire Jr (Bud), commute to the farm while operating it. Mr Haden was one of those who sold wheat for 25 cents a bushel.  He married Mrs Lewis, nee Clara Wiseman, who came here in the 80’s with her aunt, Mrs Brown, now Mrs James Belcher.  Mrs Haden is a worker in the Christian church, the Neighbors of Woodcraft and the Rebekah lodge. Her brothers, the late John Wiseman and ‘Tip’ Wiseman, now of Seattle attended school here in the latter 80’s.  In 1897 relatives of Mr Haden were attracted here, among them his parents, the late Mr and Mrs Tom Haden; his brother, the late H E Haden and family; and his brother-in-law and sister, Mr and Mrs J T Stonerook. With them was the youngest Haden girl, now Mrs R Bean, of Chewelah, mother of Mrs E C Rettkowski. Tim and John Haden and their estimable families came to this country at a slightly later period.”  (Edit: The Wilbur Cemetery has more than 25 Haden burials. Father, Thomas Haden was born May 15, 1835 and died March 8, 1912. Anne E Haden was born Jan 12, 1842 and died July 25, 1913. Dewire was born in 1869 and died in 1958. His son, Wiley, was born in 1920 and died in 1975.  Brother H E Haden was born June 24, 1859 and died June 28, 1936. Clara Wiseman Lewis Haden was born in 1879 and died in 1952.)

Hagen:  Mrs Nels Hagen, mother of Herman Hagen, has spent fifty-one of her ninety years in Wilbur, having crossed the Atlantic from her native land, Norway, to make the United States her home. Several years were spent in Wisconsin before she came to Wilbur with her husband in 1888 to locate on a farm northeast of town, now operated by her only son, Herman Hagen. While this has been her home most of the five decades, when her husband retired from farming and his trade as a carpenter, they moved to Spokane to make their home until Mr Hagen’s death in 1916.  Mrs Hagen is 90 years old, maintains her own home and garden, and is keenly interested in the people and affairs in Wilbur.”  (Edit: Nels Hagen was born in 1849 and died in 1927; his wife Martha was born in 1848 and died in 1946. Their son Herman was born in 1881 and died in 1944. These burials occurred in the Wilbur Cemetery.)

Hankel:  “Mr and Mrs Carl Hankel.  One of the most courageous pioneer mothers of this region was Mrs Carl Hankel (deceased) who came with her husband to settle south of Wild Goose Bill’s ranch in 1888. Her husband died in 1894 and she and her young sons carried on. Of the family of several children surviving her, two live in this region. R H Hankel, who has an auto freight system, and Mrs George Wagner, wife of a farmer and prominent in local lodge and club activities.” (Edit: Carl F Hankel was born in 1846 and died in 1894. His wife, Charlotte (nee Fryer) was born Oct 6, 1850 and died April 4, 1919. Their son, Robert H Hankel was born in 1879 and died in 1954. These burials were in the Wilbur Cemetery.) 

Hansen:  “The late H M Hansen arrived in this region in 1889 and became a leader in the activities of the community.  He was employed as section ‘boss’ on the Central Washington branch of the Northern Pacific, and shortly after coming to Wilbur he began to buy wheat. He also established a lumber yard and was in the mercantile business with Pete Lyse for some time, and did a vast amount of real estate business in the early days. Of more recent years he devoted his time and business ability to the establishing and developing of a modern dairy plant that he started with two cows. The present plant is one of the best in a town of this class in the state and its payroll gives a living to several families. Mr Hansen married Miss Dorothea Bruhn, who like himself, came from Denmark. Her brothers, John Bruhn and Pete Bruhn, are well-remembered pioneers of this section. Mr and Mrs Hansen were married in December of 1889, and may have been the first bridal couple of the town. Inquiry failed to settle whether or not Miss Mollie Cole became the bride of Depot Agent McCoy in 1889 or in 1890, so the honor of being the first Wilbur brides rests between these women.  Mr and Mrs Hansen reared and educated a family of seven children including a set of twins. Each of their children has made an outstanding citizen. Mr Hansen was also a pillar in the Danish Lutheran church and was active in the Danish Brotherhood. He was ever responsive to any progressive program launched by his community.”  (Edit:  Hans Marius Hansen was born in 1863 and died in 1939. Dorothea Bruhn Hansen was born in 1867 and died in 1955. These burials and other Hansen burials occurred in the Wilbur Cemetery.) 

Harms:  “Mr and Mrs Egbert Harms came to Wilbur in 1886 and took a homestead south of town a few miles. Mr Harms helped to build the road connecting Wilbur with Odessa, now important to tourists and local people alike. Many years ago Mr and Mrs Harms retired from the farm and built the house at the west end of Main street where Mrs Harms lives with their son Walter. Mr Harms died some time ago. They operated a popular dairy and had a wonderful orchard and garden for many years. They had seven daughters and two sons, but only three remain here—Mrs H E Brock, Walter and Harris Harms. The other children are widely scattered and one lives in Alaska.”  (Edit: Egbert Harms was born in 1860 and died in 1936; his wife, Anna was born in 1860 and died in 1941. Walter Harms was born in 1890 and died in 1947. Harris was born in 1901 and died in 1990.  These burials and others are in the Wilbur Cemetery.) 

Harris:  “The late Phil Harris was of a pioneer family. He came here when a young man to work as a printer in The Register office and held that positions many years. He was gifted as a musician and popular as an old-time fiddler. He was also a member of Wilbur’s brass band.  His widow, who was Miss Mae Jerrad, now lives in Keller.” 

Hart:  Dell Hart was a merchant here more than 50 years ago. He married Miss Linnie Kitching who was the first music teacher in Wilbur, having a class in 1889. They moved to the mining region of Okanogan county in the 90’s.” 

Holmes:  “C H Holmes reached Spokane Falls in 1888 but did not tarry long there and came at once to Wilbur. He engaged in various enterprises, including farming, before he established his store in 1897. He also sold real estate and insurance. He married Miss Emma Waltman, daughter of Mr and Mrs J S Waltman, early pioneers of this community. Mr and Mrs Holmes were parents of twelve children and the widow and eleven children survive him.  Mrs Holmes and five sons live here, and the sons carry on the business founded by their father. Mr Holmes was one of the cheerful pioneers. Old-timers recall that the two or three times when fire took a heavy toll of his stock and once razed his store building that he went immediately about setting up again, never once showing discouragement nor self pity. Mrs Holmes is prominent in church and WCTU work. Her brother, George Waltman, makes his home with her.” 

Hopkins:  Frank A Hopkins, father of the well-known Sherman farmer, Bill Hopkins, was a printer until he left Nebraska for Washington Territory in 1877. Mr Hopkins was a freighter of military supplies from Walla Walla through the Bannock and Nez Pearce Indian war. In 1878 he took a pre-emption in the Palouse region and in 1880 came to the Sherman district to settle on a homestead in that fertile spot. Within a few years he had not only improved his homestead but had bought many hundred additional acres.”

Hoss:  “Mr and Mrs John Hoss, parents of Mrs A E Diedesch, came here in 1883, having been attracted to the Big Bend through information given them by Mrs Hoss’s brother, Nick Ney, a prior homesteader. In 1900 they retired to made their home in Spokane. Mr Hoss died in 1910 and Mrs Hoss in 1927. Their daughter lives in a modern home near Wilbur, and Frank Hall resides on the original Hoss homestead. Mr Hoss and his neighbor, Samuel C Rinker, bought perhaps the first threshing outfit to operate in this vicinity.”

Houston:  Walter Houston and his brother, Thorne Houston, with their widowed mother came from Virginia to the Sherman region in 1885. The mother later married another pioneer, James Galloway. The boys took homesteads as soon as they were old enough and both prospered. Walter Houston’s home, a short distance east of Sherman, is one of the nicest farm residences of west Lincoln County.  He died a few years ago and his widow still lives on the farm and her son Robert operates the land for her. She is a leader in her church and active in her club work. Their other children in this region are Mrs Rudolph Geib, Mrs Alex McKay, Almira; Mrs Clemmens Geib, Mrs Emmett Phillips, Harrington.  Another daughter, Mrs R O Hall, lives at Pasco and the other daughter, Mrs George Gebo, is a resident of Walla Walla. Thorne Houston did not marry. He lives at Opportunity.” 

Howell:  W W (Whit) Howell, a Kentuckian by birth, was one to cross the plains by ox team in 1863 to Oregon. That was his home until 1872 when he returned to his former home in Illinois. In 1886 he came to Washington Territory and homesteaded five miles southeast of the Wild Goose Bill ranch. His wife died in 1888 and he reared their three children. He and his tow sons, Orlando and Vilasco, all excellent wheat farmers, are now decesased. The daughter, Mrs Irwin Parker, lives on the coast.” 

Hubler:  “Urged by a pioneering spirit, Henry J Hubler came to Washington Territory from his native state of Ohio in 1888. He first came to Davenport where friends already resided and took up his newspaper work on the Davenport paper. From there he went to Sprague to work on the Sprague Herald in that bustling Northern Pacific division point. Desirous of starting a paper of his own he came to Wilbur where the imminence of the arrival of the railroad was causing a great boom and a demand among the townsfolk for a newspaper. Finding that others had the same idea he came to an agreement with H L Frost and H J Hubler & Co was formed to publish The Register. The Sprague Herald of March 7, 1889 says of the move: ‘Harry J Hubler, who has been connected with the Herald for the past six months, during which time he ahs acceptably filled every branch of the business, will sever his connections with the Herald tomorrow to establish the Register in Wilbur, in the northwestern part of the county, in partnership with H L Frost. The Herald hates to lose Mr Hubler’s services. We bespeak for him the generous treatment at the hands of his Wilbur constituency.’  In July of the same year he sold his interest in the Register and moved to Almira and Coulee City where he began the publication of papers for those communities. It was during this time that he met and married Miss Jessie Huson, daughter of C E Huson, Northern Pacific Land Agent who had charge of the sale of lots in the new townsites.  Soon after his marriage he moved to South Bend, Wash., where he was instrumental in starting the South Bend Journal. He was also connected with a  paper in Ilwaco.  Still imbued with that urge of adventure that seems always to have been with him, he went to Alaska on a windjammer with a cargo of lumber, lured by a ten dollar a day wage which was a most fabulous inducement in those times of low wages.  Forsaking the newspaper field he had much to do with the infant oyster industry in and about Willapa Harbor and then he entered politics in Pacific County.  Changing from the treasurer’s office to the auditor’s, etc for several terms. In 1910 he returned to Almira and soon took up a homestead near the mouth of Spring Canyon. He remained here for about ten years then returned to the coast and his old home at South Bend where he died in 1924. Mr Hubler’s daughter, Mrs P T Garber is now a resident of Wilbur and Mr Garber is employed by the Register.”

Hudkins:  “Mr and Mrs Walker Hudkins came from Illinois to Oregon in 1885 and from Oregon to the Sherman community in 1887. After renting land a short time he took a pre-emption and became at once a representative Big Bender. He soon bought a half section near his pre-emption on which stand the historical, long-since depopulated village of Brents. It was in 1903 that he and his wife decided to retire and bought property in Spokane. They have been dead several years.  Floyd Hudkins, Sr, and his wife came here in 1898. He went into debt for his first half section of land but the  first year produced enough wheat to pay the full price of $2,875. In about 1904 Mr and Mrs Hudkins invested in several pieces of property in Wilbur and retired from farming. They built the bungalow that is now the property of Mr and Mrs C A Aten, and also built the large house now occupied by their daughter, Mrs Elmer Jones. One of their sons, Charles, now of Salem, Oregon, was cashier at Wilbur State Bank many years. The eldest son, Frank A, of Wilbur has served as county commissioner. Another son, Bert, was with the Farmers State Bank here several years before he took up farming. He is now in the Spokane Valley. The youngest son, Dan, is a prosperous farmer near Reardan. Harry, their fifth son, was a farmer, and is now deceased. Mr and Mrs Hudkins have both passed away. Mr Hudkins was deprived of his sight for several years but he managed to keep well posted and was keenly interested in national and local evens all his life.”  (Edit: Floyd Hudkins was born in 1848 and died in 1934; His wife Margaret M Hudkins was born in 1854 and died in 1925. Charles R Hudkins was born in 1881 and died in 1964; and Harry H Hudkins was born in 1887 and died in 1916. These burials occurred in the Wilbur Cemetery. D Floyd Hudkins, son of Daniel Walker Hudkins, died Oct 19, 2002, with burial in Riverside Memorial Cemetery in Spokane.  Alice Hudkins married Elmer E Jones on Oct 14, 1908.)  


Wilbur Golden Jubilee Biographies, Wilbur, Lincoln Co., Washington,

submitted to the WAGenWeb by Marge Womach, April 21, 2008.

      USGENWEB NOTICE: In keeping with our policy of providing
          free information on the Internet, data may be used by
          non-commercial entities, as long as this message
          remains on all copied material. These electronic
          pages may NOT be reproduced in any format for profit
          or for presentation by other persons or organizations.
           Persons or organizations desiring to use this material
          for purposes other than stated above must obtain the
          written consent of the file contributor.
          This file was contributed for use in the USGenWeb.         

© Copyright  2008  WAGenWeb