Biography of Damian Wagner




"Baptized Catholic". Source: Lola Wagner Moore, JAS, 3/98.

"Resided: to Illinois, U.S.A., in 1845".  Source: Lola Wagner Moore. JAS, 3/98.

"Our subject received his early education in Belville, Illinois. . ." Source:  History of the Big Bend Country, 1904.

"1850 census has DOMINIC DAMIAN." (Nancy Wagner Cook)


". . . at the time of the outbreak of the Civil War, he enlisted in Company H., Ninety-seventh Illinois, being in the Thirteenth Army Corps of the Second Brigade.  He served with distinction under General Andrews in the Mobile and Red River Campaigns, and at the close of the war received an honorable discharge.  He then gave his attention to the quieter occupation of tilling the soil in Illinois, then came to Missouri, . . ."   Source:  History of the Big Bend Country, 1904.

"Damian joined the Union Army at Alton, Illinois on 28 March 1864 at the

age of eighteen years.  He was assigned to Company H, 13th Army Corps of the 2nd Brigade. His enlistment was for 3 years. He fought in the Mobile and Red River Campaigns. On 29 July 1865, he was transferred to Co. E, 37th Regiment, Illinois Infantry.  Was mustered out at Houston, Texas on 15 May 1866.  His brother, Isador, also joined the Army at the same time and they were in the same Company. " Source:  Lola Wagner Moore, 1980.

"Story told by family members:  Damian entered Civil War at age 18.  One night he fell asleep during guard duty and was ordered shot.  This order was changed, at the last moment, and cancelled when his commanding officer learned that he had stood his own guard duty one night, took a ill friends place at guard duty the next night, and then fell asleep on his own guard duty the third night after having had no sleep in over three days."  Source:  Lola Wagner Moore, 1980.

". to Norborne, Carroll County, Missouri in 1868;" Source: Lola Wagner Moore, JAS, 3/98.

"In Missouri, in 1873, Mr. Wagner married Miss CHRISTINE BECK, a native of Germany, . . . "  Source:  History of the Big Bend Country, 1904.

"1880 Census Carroll County, Missouri; Wagner, Damian, age 35, Head; Christina, age 27, Wife; Katy, age 6, Daughter; Caroline, age 5, Daughter; George, age 4, Son; Lou, age 1, Daughter; Hanns, Augustus, age 12, Step Son; Wagner, Catherine, age 70, Mother."  Source: Lola Wagner Moore, JAS, 3/98.

"The 1880 census lists GUS HANSS, as a stepson.  However, no family connection has been positively established to date (1992).  This remains a big question in the family, and we still hope to 'solve the puzzle.' He did come West with Damian and Christine from Missouri.  Was he the son of a friend?  Was she married before and this was a stepson?" (Information provided by NANCY WAGNER COOK, 1992.)

". to Wilbur, Lincoln County, Washington Territory in 1883". Source: Lola Wagner Moore, JAS, 3/98.

In 1883, he moved his family to Washington state because he couldn't tolerate the humidity in Missouri.  Source:  ELLEN WAGNER ARTLEY, 12/94.

"He left the family briefly in 1883 to scout the possibilities of securing land and a home in Lincoln County, Washington."  Source:  The Wilbur Register, 1/29/1984.

"Damian decided to move to the territory of Washington due to ill health.  He was prone to pneumonia because of the dampness of the river bottom country of his home in Norborne, Missouri.  He hope the drier climate of Washington would improve his health."  Source:  Lola Wagner Moore, 1980.

". . .  and finally in 1883, as stated above, he located in Lincoln County, Washington.   In addition to general farming, Mr. Wagner gives considerable attention to raising first class blooded stock and has a fine herd at the present time."   Source:  History of the Big Bend Country, 1904.

"He first came to the Creston, Washington area and then purchased his place six and one half miles south of Wild Goose Bill's ranch (now town of Wilbur).  Because of his Civil War service years he was able to sell his homestead right away without the normal amount of 'proving up' years.  He then purchased a Timber Culture on Sinking Creek six and one-half miles south of Wilbur. [Located on present day (1990) State Highway #21]."   Source:  Lola Wagner Moore, 1980.

"After the house was partially built he went back to north Missouri and brought his wife and children back with him on the immigrant train. "  Source:  The Wilbur Register, 11/29/1984.

"His family came West by railroad, arriving in Sprague, Washington and making the rest of the trip to their new home by team and wagon.  Their home was mainly built of 12 inch squared logs which were cut in the area north of Creston.  The rest of the house was built of lumber, hauled by horse and wagon from Sprague."  Source:  Lola Wagner Moore, 1980.

". . . and built their home in 1884."  Source:  The Wilbur Register, 11/29/1984.

"One of the first years the Damian Wagners spent on their homestead, a family by the name of O'Brien moved into a dugout north and west of Wagners.  It was winter and Christina Wagner made the trip to the dugout quite often to take them food and other necessities.  Many people came to the Big Bend with nothing and it was through the help of their neighbors that they survived." [Later Katherine or Kate Wagner married an O'brien.]

"The home of the Wagners was utilized for a school and a church at times.  A traveling Catholic priest would stay with the Wagners and other families in the area and hold services.  When told of the forthcoming visit of the priest, Christina Wagner would have a young beef butchered.  It was a time to invite all the neighbors in for food for the body and the priest's food for the mind."  Source:  The Wilbur Register, 11/29/1984.

"CLARENCE WAGNER [born ?-] was told of the terrible storm of 1889-90.  Damian Wagner had gathered bunch grass to feed the heifer calfs.  As was the practice, the rest of the cattle were left to their own means in the winter months.  The terrible winter brought disaster to many.  The stockman had serious losses, but as February neared they looked for spring to be breaking.  Instead another terrific storm struck the area.  The range cattle drifted with the snow and dropped over the rocky ledges.  They were too weak from the cold winter and lack of food to get up and they died.  What feed was left was covered by snow and cattle also perished in the heavy drifts.  A story printed in the Lincoln County Times of March 7, 1890 read, 'Continual storms and severe weather have put an end to all hopes of the cattlemen.  The loss among range cattle and horses amounts to almost annihilation.'"

"Another problem beset the farmers in 1890.  The squirrels came in hordes.  Mr. GEER of the Geer post office was known to have killed 1,100 squirrels within four days."

"The first breaking of ground in the area south of Wilbur was done by Damian Wagner and H. McMANUS.  In the early years, owing to the lack of rain, eight to ten bushels of grain an acre was considered an average crop."

  "Damian cut the hay by horse drawn mowing machine.  As they would cut the hay, they would often come upon a 'fool' hen.  It was a little bigger than a grouse and very good eating.  It would not take flight when approached and soon the hens became scarce as they were easily killed."

"When the first ground was broken, China lettuce and mustard were common.  Clarence can remember being told about having to pull the weeds.  The mustard would be pulled and when it dried and the wind blew it would block the road, there was so much of it."

"Damian's neighbor plowed his ground with a 14 inch plow.  It took him all summer to work the ground.  After becoming established grain farmers, the Wagners would usually finish their harvesting in August.  They had a 32 horse outfit and cut a 16 foot swath.  It would take five days to cut 160 acres if the weather cooperated."

"Smut was a problem at this time and all grain seed was dipped in formaldehyde before seeding.  They would have to do this each morning as the wheat would swell too much to go through the drills if allowed to sit for any time."

"An entertainment was given at the residence of Mr. and Mrs. Wagner on the evening of the 19th inst., which was an exceedingly enjoyable event. The guests present were Mr. and Mrs. QUIRK, Mr. and Mrs. H. C. DAVIS, Misses FANNIE and DAISY THOMAS, Miss LULU SCHROEDER, GEORGE and JOHN THOMAS, WiLL METCALF and ED WALL of Wilson Creek and Mr. J STARRETT and Miss LAURA CHISM, Mr. and Mrs. HENRY THOMPSON, Mr. J. CALAVAN, and Miss LILLIE WAINWRIGHT, Mr. HARL THOMPSON and Miss HALLIN JOHNSON and Hon. I.N. CUSHMAN."

"The evening was spent pleasantly by all. Various amusements were indulged in from the time-honored game of snap to tripping the light fantastic (dancing)." "There was also a casino game under the management of JEFF STARRETT who, evidently was a novice in flipping the past boards, counts too fast."

"Misses KATYE and CARRIE Wagner deserve much credit for their endeavor to make the time pass pleasantly to all as also is to Mr. and Mrs. Wagner." "Tis' pleasant to withdraw from the daily routine of life and meet friends and indulge with them in innocent amusement. The isolated location of many families make social intercourse very limited and one should never regret the inconvenience they may undergo in order to throw a ray of sun shine over life's dreary pathway."  Source: The Wilbur Register, Lincoln County, Washington, 26 December 1890.  Provided by: Lola Wagner Moore. Keyed: JAS, 3/98.

"Mr. D. W. Wagner of Wilson Creek [Sinking Creek], was doing business in town Wednesday."  Source: The Wilbur Register, Lincoln County, Washington, 2 March 1891.  Provided by: Lola Wagner Moore. Keyed: JAS, 3/98.

"It is reported that Dan Wagner and his two sons killed over 600 squirrels on Saturday last."  Source: The Wilbur Register, 5 June 1891. Provided by: Lola Wagner Moore.  Keyed: JAS, 3/98.

"A new wind mill now graces Mr. D. Wagner's ranch."  Source: The Wilbur Register, 17 July 1891.  Provided by: Lola Wagner Moore.  Keyed: JAS, 3/98.

  "J. L. HARBISON, DAN WAGNER and T. E. GREER were appointed as viewers and appraisers of the PETE LYSE road."  Source: The Wilbur Register, 17 July 1891.  Provided by: Lola Wagner Moore.  Keyed: JAS, 3/98.

"In 1891, Christina persuaded Damian to move into Wilbur so that their children could attain a good education.  This move proved to be disasterous."

"The Wilbur Register of Sept. 11, 1891, said that Mr. Wagner is building a kitchen, digging a well and making other improvements on his Main street property preparatory to opening a restaurant.  On Sept. 25, the paper had an article telling that the restaurant would be opening soon and he would move his family into town."

"The night before the opening, fire broke out in the Wagner building.  The family had quarters in the apartment above the restaurant.  The fire started from the explosion of a lamp which had been left burning because of the sickness of one of the children.  Mrs. Wagner and two children were burned to death and another child soon after from effects of the fire.  The family of Mr. Wagner consisted of eleven persons, with an adopted son, GUSTAF HANSS, and the cook, Mr. C. Walker in the apartment at the time of the fire, also.  Those who survived had a very narrow escape."

Fire consumed the LYSE Brothers butcher shop, G. M. WILSON and Co'.s drug store and sheds and outbuildings. too.  There was no fire organization of any kind but buckets and small hoses attached to pumps saved other buildings."

"Mr. Wagner moved the family into the building just back of the post office for a time.  It was said that during the services for the family, it was a very sorrowful and solemn assemblage that followed the remains to their final resting place and there were many sad hearts that would gladly have carried part of the burden had such a thing been possible."

"Mr. Wagner continued with his plans to open a restaurant.  It isn't know [sic] how long he ran it but he was truly a stockman and eventually he moved his family back to the farm south of Wilbur."

"Damian continued to raise stock and grain and his son George helped him and took over the management of the farm in the early 1900's.  Damian died in 1920."  Source:  The Wilbur Register, 11/29/1984.

"Fire broke out in Dan Wagner's building on the corner of Main and Knox streets last Sunday morning at 2 a.m., and consumed that building, LYSE BROS. Butcher Shop and G. M. WILSON and Co.'s Drug Store, together with sheds and out buildings and burned to death Mrs. Wagner and two children and fatally burned another."

"The fire started from the explosion of a lamp which had been left burning on account of the sickness of one of the children."

"The flames spread rapidly and gained considerable headway before the danger was discovered." 

Misses CAROLINE and WINNIE WAGNER, in whose room the fire started and with whom the sick child was sleeping, were awakened by the smoke and flames and immediately gave the alarm."

"Cries of fire and pistol shots brought out the town and the work of rescue and saving property began."

"The family of Mr. Wagner, consisting of eleven persons, together with an adopted son, Mr. GUSTAF HANNSS, and the cook, Mr. C. WALKER, occupied the upper story of the building and all had a very narrow escape."

"Three of the children, Hannss and Walker escaped by the rear stairs and Mr. Wagner and four children escaped by jumping from the windows. Mrs. Wagner ran downstairs after a pail of water and returning entered the room where the fire started, thinking the children were still there.  The building was all on fire by this time and she was overcome by the heat and smoke and burned to death."

"Little Annie, 10 years old, started out by the hallway, but only got as far as the outside door, where she perished."

"In the meantime, Mr. Wagner heard the cries of Robert, 6 years old, in the same room he had escaped from and he returned and rescued him by dropping him out of the window into the arms of J. H. ROBERTSON, receiving a severe scorching about the head in so doing.  The child had inhaled the deadly flame, however, and died Monday at 12:40 p.m."

"There was still another child, Charlie, 4 years old, in the room, but the heat was so intense that a rescue was impossible. Mr. Wagner then quitted the building, only to learn that his wife had perished, and the scene that followed was the most touching and heart rendering that ever occurred in this county."

"The dreadful event is even more sad than one would suppose, owing to the circumstance surround it."

"Mr. Wagner had left a good home on Wilson [Sinking] Creek, seven miles south of here where he was engaged in stock raising, and moved his family to town to give them the advantage of school.  He had just finished furnishing the building throughout with the intention of opening a restaurant, the date for the opening being announced for the following morning after the fire.  Several hundred dollars worth of provisions and fixtures had been carried into the kitchen just the evening before and everything was in readiness for the appointed day.  Fate decreed otherwise, though, and instead of carrying out long cherished plans and arrangements, a mother and wife and three children were burnt to death and a bright happy home broken and shattered beyond repair."

"Friends gladly cared for the homeless and motherless children and physicians attended the injured child, but he had been too severely burned and his spirit left to join those who had gone but a few hours before."

"This is but a poorly told story of one of the saddest affairs that ever happened; an affair that has cast a gloom over the surrounding country for miles and miles, for Mr. Wagner and his family were pioneers and one of the most respectable families in the country."

"The fire spread rapidly and soon caught the LYSE BROS. Butcher Shop, the building adjoining on the West, and then to the next building. G. M. WILSON & Company's Drug Store, but the heat soon became unbearable and only a small amount was saved."

"The small warehouse between the drug store and J. M. PARISH & Company's store building was torn down, which probably saved that store. As it was, it was only after hard work and the use of plenty of water, salt and wet blankets that the flames were kept from bursting out on the side exposed to the heat.  It was the same with the Yount building, just across the street on the east, occupied by B. W. FELDER, Jeweler, and Dr. B. H. YOUNT as an office. Wet blankets and water were used freely and the building was saved.  J. H. Robertson's blacksmith shop was scorched pretty bad, but was kept from getting afire.  The Big Bend Saloon began to smoke during the hottest part of the fire, but willing hands provided plenty of water.  Had either of these buildings caught fire the whole business part of town would have been destroyed."

"There probably never was a fire under more favorable climatic conditions.  Not a breath of air was stirring, more than that caused by the flames; had there been, no one can tell the extent of the damage that would surely have been done."

"The heat arising from the burning building carried shingles and cinders high in the air and deposited them almost a mile south and west of town."

"There was no fire organization of any kind, but buckets and small hose attached to pumps was the means of saving other buildings.  The citizens now realize the importance and necessity of a fire company and it safe to say that the next fire will find hard work in doing ever the small amount of damage, financially, that this one did."

"Mr. Wagner's building was two stories high, 24 X 40, hard finish, with kitchen on the rear.  He had just put in an entire set of furnishings to run a first-class restaurant and every last things, their clothing and all, was lost.  The loss to Mr. Wagner is estimated at $4,000.  No insurance."

. . "Mr. Wagner has moved into the building just back of the post office and will be there until further arrangements are made."

. . . "By daylight Sunday morning the flames had about died down and the remains of the unfortunate victims were gathered up and preparations made for the funeral.  The news of the calamity was carried about the country very fast and the funeral was announced to take place Monday at three o'clock.  People flocked into town from every direction and by Monday noon the streets were thronged with friends and sympathizers of the afflicted family."

"At 1 o'clock business was suspended until after the funeral.  At 3 o'clock people began to wend their way to the school house where the services were to be held and when the text was announced, there were many of the outside of the building who could not gain an entrance."

"Reverend GEROGE G. MULLER delivered a very short sermon and a few remarks and as the choir sang an appropriate hymn the congregation filed out past the open casket in where were the remains of all that was earthly of Mrs. CHRISTINA WAGNER, Miss ANNA WAGNER and Masters CHARLIE  and ROBERT Wagner, the last having died from the effect of the fire after being rescued."

"It was a very solemn and sorrowful assemblage that followed the remains to their final resting place and there were many sad hearts that would gladly have carried part of the burden had such a thing been possible."

"At 3 o'clock Monday afternoon the slow tolling of the bell announced to the people of the town that, in a few hours at least, the remains of the fire's victims would be placed in their final tomb."

"A long procession of people and teams escorted the remains from town to the cemetery, after the service at the school house, and with silent prayers watched the internment of the casket.  Only the customary service of the church was followed by the minister at the grave and at 5 o'clock the sad task was all completed.  To say that the people sympathize with the afflicted family would be almost mockery.  They more than sympathize.  They grieve and are sad at heart for the blow was so severe that all are effected."  Source:  The Wilbur Register, Friday, 9 October 1891.  Provided by: Lola Wagner Moore. Keyed: JAS, 3/98.

For additional info, see note pages for Anna Christine Beck Wagner,  Anna Wagner, Robert Cosmos Wagner and Charles Jacob Wagner.

"We desire to express our sincere thanks to the people of Wilbur for their great kindness in our recent misfortune and especially to those who so patiently and tenderly cared for our son and brother, Robert, during his short sufferings.  May God be kind and deal as tenderly to you all. - Dan Wagner and Children."  Source: "The Wilbur Register", 9 October 1891.  Provided by: Lola Wagner Moore.  Keyed: JAS, 3/98.

"Mr. Dan Wagner has renovated and fitted up the building just back of the post office and will furnish meals to the hungry public for 35 cents.  It will remembered that Mr. Wagner was to have opened a restaurant the morning after the fire.  He has not yet given up the idea, and notwithstanding his awful loss, with a little encouragement will carry out his original plans."  Source: "The Wilbur Register", 23 October 1891.  Provided by: Lola Wagner Moore.  Keyed: JAS, 3/98.

"Mr. Dan Wagner loaded his goods on wagons last Tuesday and returned to his ranch on Wilson Creek [Sinking Creek].  Mr. Wagner will re-engage in the stock business."  Source: "The Wilbur Register", 26 February 1892.  Provided by: Lola Wagner Moore.  Keyed: JAS, 3/98.

"The dance at Damian Wagner's last Friday night was well attended and all had a most enjoyable time."  Source: "The Wilbur Register", 23 June 1892.  Provided by: Lola Wagner Moore.  Keyed: JAS, 3/98.

"Damian Wagner and L. W. TWITCHELL started last Sunday morning for Seattle with a car load of horses.  They drove the horses to Wenatchee and from there they were shipped over the Great Northern [railroad].  Missrs. Wagner and Twitchell will return in about two weeks."  Source: "The Wilbur Register", Friday, 7 July 1893.  Provided by: Lola Wagner Moore.  Keyed: JAS, 3/98.

  "The Wagner School House, District Number 28, was moved one day last week to a more central location.  It is now located on the northeast corner of Section 24.  The building was placed on sled runners and drawn by horses, the journey being completed without accident."  Source: "The Wilbur Register, 2 February 1894.  Provided by: Lola Wagner Moore.  Keyed: JAS, 3/98.

"It is rumored that Dan Wagner is about to buy JOHN TURNER's entire band and brand of cattle."  Source:  "The Wilbur Register, 23 February 1894.  Provided by: Lola Wagner Moore.  Keyed: JAS, 3/98.

"Dan Wagner has turned his stock on the range  in the vicinity of the Kenaway."

 Source:  "The Wilbur Register, 2 March 1894.  Provided by: Lola Wagner Moore.   Keyed: JAS, 3/98.

"Dan Wagner has recently disposed of several fine milch cows at good prices."

 Source:  "The Wilbur Register, 18 May 1894.  Provided by: Lola Wagner Moore.  Keyed: JAS, 3/98.

"Dan Wagner has begun work on the roads in his district."   Source:  "The Wilbur Register, 25 May 1894.  Provided by: Lola Wagner Moore.  Keyed: JAS, 3/98.

"Damian Wagner has rounded up a force of 'unemployed' and put them to work on the road."  Source:  "The Wilbur Register, 1 June 1894.  Provided by: Lola Wagner Moore.  Keyed: JAS, 3/98.

"Damian Wagner now has a boat in the lake and it is proper to prefix the title 'Captain' to his name. (Note: it is assumed that the lake referred to is Wagner Lake.  Dale Wagner, great grandson of Damian, did find some old rotted pieces of a boat at Wagner Lake in the 1950's.  Could this have been Damian's boat?)"

"Many words of praise are heard for the good road work done by Damian Wagner in his district this year."  Source:  "The Wilbur Register, 8 June 1894.  Provided by: Lola Wagner Moore.  Keyed: JAS, 3/98

"13 November - The Commissioners approved Damian Wagner's bill for $10.00 for road work completed."

"17 November - The Commissioners approved Damian Wagner's bill for $18.00 for road work completed."  Source: "The Wilburn Register, 14 December 1894.  Provided by: Lola Wagner Moore.  Keyed: JAS, 3/98.

"Damian Wagner is the administrator of the Christina Wagner estate."   Source: "The Wilburn Register, 28 May 1897.  Provided by: Lola Wagner Moore.  Keyed: JAS, 3/98.

"Damian Wagner came back from the Interstate Fair with a fine Shorthorn Bull." 

Source: "The Wilburn Register, 28 May 1897.  Provided by: Lola Wagner Moore.  Keyed: JAS, 3/98.

"Statement of Cosmos Wagner, Brother of Damian Wagner. From: Civil War File of Damian Wagner.  To: Bureau of Pensions, Washington D.C.- State of Illinois, County of St. Clair. On this 10th day of October A.D. 1907, personally before me, a Notary Public in and for the aforesaid County, duly authorized to administer oaths, COSMOS WAGNER, brother of Damian Wagner, who being duly sworn according to law, declares that he is the holder of the family record of LIONHARD WAGNER, father of Damian Wagner, the family record presented to me shows that Damian Wagner was born at Pfaffenweiler, Granduchy Baden, Germany, on the 29th day of May A.D. 1845, this record was written by REV. I. R. [?] KLEISON, the seal of the church attached. In finishing [?] when of I have here with set my hand and notary seal the day and year first above written. [Signed]: CHAS. JACOBUS, Notary Public. [Signed] Cosmos Wagner."  Source: Lola Wagner Moore. JAS, 3/98.

"Copy of Letter From: Unknown Person, Re: Civil War Information for Damian's Pension Application.  De Witt - Mo - May 21st 1907. - Dear Friend Dan - We received your letter of May 16th this morning.  I was glad to hear from you again. We are both well at present and I hasten to give the desired information. We were enrolled on the 28th day of March 1864 into Co H. 97th Inf Volunteers at Alton Illinois, and we were discharged at Houston Texas April 28th 1866, from Co E 37 Inf Volunteers Vet. These dates are taken from my discharge. No I want to further say that we were Transferred on or about July 29 1865 from Co H 97 Ill Inf Vol to Co E 37th Illinois Veteran Inf. Volunteers. These latter dates is from one of my old letters I written home. Now when you sign you Name to the Pension application, Please sign you Name Damian Wagner I think you were enrolled that way. You can take this sheet to the Notary Public that makes out your Pension application out. I think he will get it correct from these dates I send Isidore the same dates.  (Note: this letter had no signature on it.  Apparently this person was in the same 'outfit' as Damian during the Civil War and was a good friend. I received my copy of this letter from Alice Myers daughter of Frank Wagner. Frank was a son of Damian).  Source: Lola Wagner Moore.  Keyed: JAS, 3/98.

"Damian's son, George, bought the home place from him; George's son, Clarence, bought the home place from George and owns it at the present time [1990].  The house is one of the oldest homes in the Big Bend Country. In its early days it saw such occasions as a temporary school, social gatherings, and Catholic Mass when the Priest came thru from Sprague."  Source: Lola Wagner Moore. Keyed: JAS, 3/98.

"In a reminiscent talk of a few minutes with Damian Wagner last Wednesday morning, Mr. Wagner gave his impression of the country in the spring of 1883 when he settled on Wilson Creek [Sinking Creek].  There was no grain farming in this part of the country, and everybody was thinking of fortunes made from stock, which could be pastured free of cost on 'Uncle Sam's' bunch grass prairies.  Mr. Wagner was naturally quote provident, which prompted him to consider buying a section of cheap land to make sure of all pasture.  He corresponded with the N. P. [Northern Pacific Railroad] land department and had selected a whole section which he could buy for less than one dollar per acre.  He wrote the letter and enclosed the remittance for the land, but concluded to make a final inspection before committing himself.  Summer was coming on and the bunch grass was beginning to dry up.  Knowing nothing of the nature of the grass, he concluded the land was no good.  Pursuant to that conclusion, he withdrew the enclosure from the letter and tore up the communication.  He then bought a tract of that flat grazing land along the creek.  That was all very well in its class, but is far from being rated with his first choice.  One half of the rejected section has already sold for $15,000.  Dan said, 'There is where I missed it, but we can't always be right.'  Source: "The Wilbur Register", 8 June 1917. Provided by: Lola Wagner Moore.  Keyed: JAS, 3/98.

"Damian Wagner, a Civil War veteran, died in Spokane, Washington on October 15, 1920 at the age of 75 years, 4 months and 18 days."

"In 1873 he was married to ANNA BECK.  Nine children were born to them: Mrs. KATHRYN O'BRIEN, East White Bluffs, Washington; Mrs. CAROLINE  DRUMHELLER, Seattle; GEORGE, LIDWINNIE, LEONARD and FRANK [of Wilbur]; and Anna, Robert and Charles, deceased.  He also leaves to mourn him eleven grandchildren."

"Tribute: We have deep regrets. We should have made your life time happier , your time of life so noble spent speaks for itself and needs but a short, mainly silent, eulogy our beloved father. Pillowed on a bed of blossoms that you loved; draped in the flag of your country, justice, liberty, equality; covered by the strong and sturdy oak, your favored tree; we lay you loved one to your last, long sleep.  Good by. Your grief stricken children and grandchildren."  Source: "The Wilbur Register, Lincoln County, Washington state, 22 October 1920.  Provided by: LOLA WAGNER MOORE. Keyed: JAS, 3/98.




 Submitted  to the WAGenWeb by Judy Artley,

September 30, 2003.  


USGENWEB NOTICE: In keeping with our policy of providing free
information on the Internet, material may be freely used by non-
commercial entities, as long as this message remains on all copied
material, AND permission is obtained from the contributor of the file.
Unauthorized use for commercial ventures expressly prohibited.
All information submitted to this project remains - to the extent the
law allows - the property of the submitter who, by submitting it, agrees
that it may be freely copied but NEVER sold or used in a commercial
venture without the knowledge & permission of its rightful owner. The
USGenWeb Project makes no claims or estimates of the validity of the
information submitted and reminds you that each new piece of information
must be researched and proved or disproved by weight of evidence.

These electronic pages may NOT be reproduced in any format for
profit or presentation by other organizations. Persons or
organizations desiring to use this material for non-commercial
purposes, MUST obtain the written consent of the contributor, OR
the legal representative of the submitter, and contact the listed
USGenWeb archivist with proof of this consent.




  Copyright 2003 WAGenWeb