Jefferson County WAGenWeb header

Greenwood Cemetery

This page reflects the current status of an ongoing effort to collect information on Jefferson County cemeteries. The data below may change as additional information is gathered.
Name Greenwood Cemetery
also called Chimacum Cemetery
Location Physical
location
 
Legal
description
S14 T29 R1W TAX 2 W/PTN VAC RUSSELL AVE ADJ PLAT-GREENWOOD CEMETERY V2/P112
Latitude &
Longitude
Lat 48° 00' 35" N
Long 122° 46' 01" W
Driving
instructions
From the Chimacum Post Office, go east on State Highway 19 (Rhody Drive) 0.1 miles to the intersection of Highway 19, Chimacum Road, and Center Road. Continue straight ahead 0.1 mile east on State Highway 19 (Beaver Valley Road). The cemetery is on your right.
Cemetery records  
Documentation Held by Jefferson County Genealogical Society
Title Chimacum Cemetery
Publication
type & date
index, 1985
Physical data size 4.5 acres
burial plots 800
Chronology established 1892
History "In 1892 Sanuel Hadlock, William H. Lee and Olaf Peterson each donated two hundred and fifty dollars towards a new cemetery at Chimacum, called Greenwood. Land for the cemetery was donated by William Eldridge." [William Matheson oral history] According to the original agreement, the land was purchased from William Eldridge, and he became a member of the non-profit corporation. There were burials prior to 1892, some by the church west of the cemetery, and at Hadlock at a place called "Dead Man's Gulch." These graves were moved to Greenwood Cemetery after its formation.
Notes  

Thanks to JCGS member M. Samuelson who compiled the history.

return to Cemetery Index Page

Comments? Phil Kohl, pkohl@olympus.net   mail

Revised: 16 March 2008
Copyright © 2017 Philip H. Kohl